adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

It's fun to point out that Syndergaard and Colon both have hit more HRs than Jason Heyward this year. 

• Upvote 3

The Mets' need for an IF, starting a couple minor leaguers against the Nationals this week, really makes me appreciate the Cubs' Zobrist signing from a totally different perspective. The Mets might be the team to beat in the NL with that signing...not that this isn't a very, very good Mets team.

22 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

True but the Cubs were still going to be the team to beat in the regular season. Lackey and Zobrist solidified that even further while Heyward's defense at least helps. Cubbies still need to prove that they can hit upper echelon pitching in the post season though.

I forgot that the Mets' ownership is still crying poor and wouldn't pony up for Cespedes if they signed Zobrist.

21 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Well actually....no one ponied up for him except for the Mets and Nats....and that includes the Cubbies. Looking like the best signing of the off season to date.

OK? My point is that the Mets might not have pulled off Zobrist AND Cespedes, which is probably what it would have taken to put them ahead of the Cubs.

-----

What's up with Dilson Herrera? I've always liked him. Blocked by Walker - prospective starter in 2017?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Oh I agree with you. Mets got lucky that Zobrist took the Cub offer..

That's not agreeing with me? It's cool THO - I saw these breasts on Game of Thrones that could move even the coldest of hearts.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ben Zobrist turns 35 in 3 days.  Something tells that failing to sign a guy to a contract that takes him to age 39 won't be a franchise-breaking decision.  Certainly a good player for the Cubs right now but not a great fit for the Mets.

Zobrist's deal ends when he is 38. He would have been a fantastic fit on the Mets' roster, you just have one of the bottom tier owners in the league is all. I thought Cubs fans' lack of recognition of their team's big market identity was insufferable, but Mets fans take the cake easily on that one. I couldn't possibly care less that the Cubs are paying one of the best players in baseball over the last decade ~$14m a year until he's 38. If you guys sh*t your pants over that price for Zobrist, still clearly a very good player, good luck staying relevant once all your arms blow up.

25 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Mets ownership has been cheap. There is nothing the fans can do other than boycott the product which will not happen after sweeping the Cubs like they were a single A team in the NLCS and making it to the WS. 

They did make an offer to Zobrist and again, due to their spending limits and need for a power bat, they were lucky he went elsewhere. Cespedes is a much more important piece for the team than Zobrist ever would have been. The Cubs spent a lot this off season but they also off set some of the Zobrist money with the Castro deal.  Again, you can't blame fans over what ownership will or will not spend.

Not sure I'd call Zobrist one of the best players in baseball over the past decade. He's a good player.... a nice piece of the pie on a good team.

This is probably meant to get under my skin as a Cubs fan, but it was the case of a blind squirrel finding a really young nut. The Mets have to hope and pray to Jah himself that those arms don't blow up, and right now only Syndergaard seems to be holding up.

You guys really do not know how to take what originally started as a well intended compliment. No one's blaming your dolts for what ownership will or will not spend. OTOH your efforts to excuse it are hilarious and poor.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ben Zobrist.  One of the best players in baseball the last decade.  Gato just said that.  Jeeezus. 

Don't tell me this fanbase, on top of clearly being insecure and developing a Napoleon complex after decades in the shadow of the Yankees, is meatheaded as a muh too? You have ******* Sandy Alderson and had Paul DePodesta in your FO! How are you people painfully unaware of this! Since 2010 Zobrist is 9th in fWAR in all of baseball. It's not the be all end all, but yeah this is one of the most valuable and best players of the 2010s.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sandy Alderson is also of the opinion you don't pay a player for what he's done but rather what he will do.  Zobrist will not bring nearly the return on investment that his contract demands he should. 

You overestimate what $14m  a year will get you in FA. If 4/56 to a FA makes you sh*t your pants then I look forward to the reactions come Syndergaard's arb years or an extension. Man, seriously, good luck staying relevant as a franchise once those arms blow up.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

DePodesta is with the Browns.

That would explain "had" instead of "has."

Are all Mets fans as touchy as you guys?

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, Ben Zobrist.  2 career All-Star game appearances and the following WAR the last 3 years:

2013:  5.2

2014:  5.0

2015:  1.8

Totally worth $14M a year till he's 38.

YES! Yes it is! That's ******* 12 WAR from ages 32-34! $14 million for 1.8 through FA is a steal and is, worst case, market value! He's already beat that salary this year! What a weeeeeeeird fanbase! You're just making me glad all the Mets' hopes are pinned on pitchers.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  I don't play a part in those decisions.

2.  No, I'm sure Sandy didn't "sh*t his pants".  He just recognized that 4 years/$56M spent on a 35 year old with depreciating WAR wasn't as good of a decision as giving Yo a contract.  Especially since Zobrist can't play CF.  His presence would have blocked Conforto. 

3.  Yes, we have a ton of quality arms.  Such a horrible problem to have.  We get it, those arms will eventually cost about half a billion dollars collectively.  But you can't make the assumption that not paying Zobrist automatically means we won't shell out to keep some of those arms.  It's all about resource allocation.  And Sandy has been a master at that.  Even you can't deny this.

2. I was talking about you guys as far as sh*tting your pants. The Mets were Zobrist's most serious pursuer after the Cubs, wanted him bad, and lost. They had to make a call since their sh*tty ownership wouldn't splurge for both, and went with the uber popular Cespedes on a 1 year deal.

3. It's not so much the cost - I'll enjoy that too - it's that pitchers break. You've already got DeGrom off almost 3 MPH at 28 with a TJ surgery in his past and declining dominance. Matz's forearm is a thing every 15 minutes. Wheeler's already had TJ. Harvey's already had TJ and his confidence is shot. Hell, even Syndergaard just got an MRI in the past couple weeks. The Cubs went this route before, just last decade when Prior/Wood/Zambrano with Angel Guzman and a slew of other arms in the minors. It bought a handful of years.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh I don't know, maybe saying something like this in response to a legitimate argument against signing Ben Zobrist makes one "touchy". 

Especially since we haven't caused one iota of trouble on the Cubs thread.  I don't mind the Cubs.  Maybe you mind us for owning you in the NLCS or whatever.  But any year the Mets don't win the World Series the Cubs are who I'd prefer to see win. 

1 - What're you are you talking about? Did you even read what the comment was in reply to or are you too busy reacting? Oooooh, they so sensitive!

2 - I came in with a compliment, compliments! You're the idiots that turned it into an argument. I don't care that you don't mind the Cubs, had nothing to do with anything until you folks decided to make it so.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The compensatory picks soften the blow a lot.  We have two first rounders this year because of Murphy.  If Ces leaves, we'll have two in 2017 as well.  Not a bad way to replenish our young pitching, no?

Yo is super popular because he straight up rakes.  Amazing how quickly people forget how good he was the moment he donned a Mets uniform.  There's something to be said for being a really good player in NYC.  Many have tried and failed before to handle that spotlight. 

I mean - they have to survive probably 4 years in the minors, but if it will help you sleep. I'm aware Cespedes can and has raked, he was an absolutely necessary signing. If you guys would bother reading my posts rather than reacting to what you think is being said this wouldn't be a thing right now.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

12 war from ages 32-34.  Hate to see what that WAR will look like from age 36-38. 

For basically $14m a year, they're not even looking for 2 WAR a season. That's FA for you. When your franchise decides to truly play with the big boys rather than try and sneak in through the back door, this will be more obvious.

BTW, did you guys see that girl's boobs on Game of Thrones last night? The memory alone still brings warm feelings to my heart. Fan-*******-tastic pair...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

It's comments about the arms blowing up is why people try and get under your skin.

Time usually has a way for answering debates pretty accurately.  Last year I think there was the debate on whether to sign Zimmerman or not in Cubs land. Time will also tell if Heyward was a good signing.  The part that you are overlooking in attempting to dis the Mets ownership and fan base is that Zobrist (long term) was not a position of need for the Mets. He wasn't for the Cubs either but they off set some cash with the Castro deal so it made sense.

The Cubs went all in this year and spent the cash. Mets fans wish they had an owner who did likewise but trust me, Ben Zobrist is not making the fan base lose any sleep.

Wouldn't have happened if you guys could just take a compliment.

The Cubs are all in for a whole lot longer than this year. Heyward was a good signing that probably will be a great signing by the time his opt outs come up. Zobrist is already one of the big difference makers between the Cubs and the Mets this year, the Cubs' lineup depth just trounces theirs. That Mets fans aren't losing any sleep over passing on Zobrist is mostly a matter of underrating the player, overrating what you can get in FA (while underrating what it costs), and a long history with accepting mediocrity.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thanks Gato.  Now go get your f*ckin shinebox. 

That's not how that line works? **** you guys got odd, what happened? 

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bandwagon idiot not even from Chicago that didn't start rooting for the Cubs until they started turning the organization around is coming in here and lecturing us about fan culture. I'd say it's shocking but the dude's schtick got old years ago with other sh*t on a similar tip. Sooner or later he jumps into just about any topic trying to pull his act. Honestly the best strategy is not acknowledging his presence until he gives up and goes away. Attention whores can't thrive when they're not being pandered to.

Rotfl says JN's local self appointed alpha dog...Goooo **** yourself ya ****. Stick to lording over us all with your sick in depth knowledge of Daredevil comics.

This is ******* pathetic...Literally the only people in this thread with any ill will to start were you dipsh*ts.

This place went to sh*t haaaaaaaaaard. Wow.

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

hahahaha ok man something something im horrible at sarcasm but im still gonna try it anyways because if I don't keep trolling this thread its gonna look like I lost the fight

If I actually lost the big fight this also wouldn't be happening. I forgot just how much of a dipsh*t you are when there's years between having to really take notice but good to see you are  still going strong there. I'm the idiot but this mook believes you have to be from Chicago to like a Chicago sports team, alrighty then. Stick to Star Wars, movie, and comic trivia. You've never been much with the whole sports thing.

Now that your leader has had his say and marked his wittle tewittowy, I'll voluntarily leave. It's clear that reasonable discussion is impossible with you clowns. Sorry to disturb your peace.

Never said Cubs fans aren't insufferable themselves....They got plenty used to losing too and just last night some guy talked about shooting the umpire for making the correct call on Baez's baserunning gaffe. In terms of utility, fit, reliability, and flexibility, Zobrist was a big upgrade from Castro. Walker's definitely a competent (lower ceiling, similar or maybe even slightly higher floor) consolation under a favorable contract landed with a franchise surplus. Still, there's no denying that Zobrist was extremely high on the Mets' wish list and that they'd probably project better than the Cubs if he was on their roster rather than Chicago's - assuming Cespedes too. That was literally my whole point when I came back into this thread, knowing the Mets' IF problem after starting two minor leaguers against your top division rival, but more had to be made of it because stuff and things. I hope that clears it up as I'd prefer not to be dragged back into this thread with some of these wackjobs.

Solid pickup in Loney...9 Ks in 169 PAs for SD's AAA squad and a quality glove at 1B.

Syndergaard vs Taillon better be as interesting as it might be.

Mets getting Rutheford would be a potential coup. He was much higher ranked going in. Craig can mash, but I find Lauer a little boring. Mets have shown a willingness to think outside the box in the draft - Harvey and Matz were not popular draft day picks - and I really want some team to take the dive on HS OF Avery Tuck or LHSP Kyle Mullen in the first. Seems like the Mets are set up to have an outstanding draft this year THO.

• Upvote 1

Someome on the internet needs to gif that father/son combo in the third third row behind the LHH batter's box.

I like that SNY keeps that stupid K zone box off the screen.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh now you've done it!  SenorGato is about to give the lecture of his life about how Mets culture is terrible and Cubs culture is the best.  Be ready.

No, Cubs fans legitimately are a miserable, miserable bunch. The franchise finally has something going and still all you hear is whines about the umpires and this is stupid and that stinks and so on so forth. They're every bit as whiny and bratty as they claim Cards fans are, and maybe marginally more skilled at keeping their racism on the dl.

I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth, never did I say Cubs FAN culture is anything worthwhile, but I do appreciate an opportunity to vent a little on that. I also appreciate your beta butt still being hurt like a month later.

Damn, Dunn's one of the RHs and college arms I actually liked in this draft.

I was just complimenting Rosario the other day. He is one of the good ones out there, as in the whole minors rather than even just one system. 

Cecchini reeks of a utility player, but nothing wrong with that Rosario and Herrera can hit like they might. Nimmo's weird but I've a always been a fan of low K/high BB hitters in the minors. Not sure about his defense THO and he'll need that and/or power to be a stud in the majors. 

Edit: Take that back on Cecchini....between he and Herrera there is probably a starting 2B. He can fall back on utility.

Edited by SenorGato

How could you see something like this series coming?

I was basically calling this at least a week ago when the Cubs hit a rut. This series was hardly unforeseeable and still not even a little tiny bit predictive. In the end, the Cubs getting some more reps in against the Mets' pitching was the biggest deal in this series for me. That and Carl Edwards Jr, showing some chutzpah.

It's creepy how passive aggressive the tiny group of you that chooses to troll are. You linger in the Cubs thread neg repping (lol) as adults do, and then run to the safety of this thread to troll talk sh*t and insult because your actual aptitude in talking this sport is subpar at best. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Whatever gets you through the night^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's the middle of the day. I'll sleep just fine later. As I stated over and over and over, this series was much more important for the Mets than the Cubs. Vegas isn't even taking bets on the NL Central, thats how sure of a thing the Cubs reaching the playoffs is and that's all that matters.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This one man's war he's waging against this thread is starting to rival no psl's schtick. Gotta say it's a good read.

Against this thread? How dense and delusional are you people? When did this place go full meathead? Between Savage's completely ignored Wilkerson Muslim comment and the outright scumbag showing of a handful of Mets fans this football offseason the quality of discussion...

3 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

He's incapable of tipping his cap to the Mets 

More made up bullsh*t from a troll

12 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

You saw this series coming. Riiiiiight.

God help 'us people' if this went the other way....:rolleyes:

Absolutely, I did. I'd lay out why but that seems like a fruitless endeavor.

The Cubs went 7-0 against the Mets going into October. How many posts, let alone taunting posts, did I make going into that NLCS series?

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I surfed that yesterday. 3 pages of him talking to himself lol. So goofy.

Um no it is 3 pages of "him" bickering with trolls from this thread, you head sociopath you.

Just now, JohnJ said:

Don't be dense and delusional

That's not clever and doesn't make sense, but see the Cubs thread if you'd like.

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

You're right it was stupid from the start when you first said it

This makes even less sense than your other hapless attempt to be insulting new guy. What is "it?" 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company