adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

http://i.imgur.com/5c22RvF.gif?noredirect

Look at that, I start the thread and Piazza gets in the HOF.  This could be a good year!

• Upvote 2

I think Nimmo is the reason they have been hesitant to invest long term in any center fielders. Gives them an extra year to decide if Nimmo is the real deal, because it seems like they're still not 100% sure. We'll get someone, it's just a matter of who, and if Nimmo shows any signs of being good enough by July or August at the latest he'll get called up. Then they'll shop Lagares again like they did last year.

Also this is the same reason they traded for Walker with respect to Herrera. But I'm still not sold on Herrera.

I'm more interested in Dilson than Nimmo.  I don't think Nimmo is anything more than a 4th OF type.  

Carlos Torres designated for assignment to make room for Bastardo. I am gonna miss that hat.

That was the other Torres.

Here's how I'd put together the 2016 lineup

Granderson

Wright

Duda

Cespedes

Conforto

d'Arnaud

Cabrera

Walker

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/collins-weighs-in-on-potential-lineup-for-2016/163067790

Mets manager Terry Collins weighed in on his potential lineup for 2016, reeling off the following to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post:

1. Curtis Granderson RF
2. David Wright 3B
3. Yoenis Cespedes CF
4. Lucas Duda 1B
5. Neil Walker 2B
6. Michael Conforto LF
7.  Travis d'Arnaud C
8. Asdrubal Cabrera SS
9. Starting Pitcher P

Collins noted that the Mets have "some real pros and some real versatility," and added that Wilmer Flores will be used in a super utility role.

Two of the players in the potential lineup above weren't with the Mets in 2015. Neil Walker was acquired from the Pirates in exchange for Jon Niese, and Asdrubal Cabrera signed on for two years as a free agent. 

I like this much better

Granderson

Wright

Conforto

Cespedes

Duda

d'Arnaud

Walker

Cabrera

pitcher

It's hard to believe that someone can be so dumb.  Everyone knows ARod is a steroid guy and he never got caught, how do you get caught 3 times in one year?

On 3/2/2016 at 3:20 PM, JiF said:

This is pretty cool.  When I was searching for more funny pictures I found some pictures of my niece!  She's was in the Seven Line Army calendar a few years back and goes to a ton of games with that crew:

9k=blog_MARCH_low-663x1024.jpg?171381175879

I saw her at the game last Friday in Port St. Lucie with the 7line

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2016 at 1:31 PM, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets have obviously told us that they are not worried about defense, that they would much rather have offense first players.

That's been the deal for a few years now, why would you think things have changed?  They went to the WS last year with Wilmer Flores as the SS, Murphy at 2b and Cespedes in CF.  

15 hours ago, no psls said:

When David goes down again and Cabrera rehurts himself , we'll wish we still had Tejada .

Not really.  He's a very replaceable player.  

On 3/28/2016 at 7:09 AM, no psls said:

Hogwash .

Not at all. Tejada is a mediocre fielder, has no power, doesn't hit for a high average. He's fine, but completely replaceable. He's an ok backup and an awful starter.

1 hour ago, no psls said:

Trade with what ? Besides , we can't pay anyone worth a damn because of Coupons Wilpon.

broke.jpg

That line died a bit this offseason.  They spent the money to keep Cespedes.  And as Jetsfan80 said:

Additional first round pick + Neil Walker + Money saved + Not blocking Dilson Herrera  >>>>>>> Daniel Murphy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, no psls said:

We'll see how much they miss Murphy when Wright breaks down ; Cabrera gets hurt and Duda goes into his month long daze .

.280 with 14 HRs and poor defense is replaceable.  He had a ridiculous stretch in the playoffs but don't forget what kind of player he is overall.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, no psls said:

Matt Harvey ; 25-20 lifetime record ; real stud !!!!!!

Wins/Losses = just about the worst way to evaluate a starting pitcher.

Colby Lewis was 17-9 with a 4.66 ERA and 1.24 WHIP

Harvey was 13-8 with a 2.71 ERA and 1.02 WHIP

Who do you think had a better year?

3 hours ago, no psls said:

Correction - Matt Harvey 25-21 - HAHHAHAHAHAHA - go to the Yankees -you bum

He has 11 games where he went 7 or more innings and gave up 2 or less runs without a getting a win.  Win-loss record is meaningless.

• Upvote 2

Walker with HR #8 tonight.  That move is paying off so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also been saying this for a while but d'Arnaud gets a bad rap with this stuff. His two injuries last year were on freak plays that really anyone would have gotten hurt on. Getting beaned on the hand and then that weird Giants tag that everyone has to do now. This is the first real thing that's happened on its own in some time. 

He deserves his rep.

5 hours ago, faba said:

Well I just read d'Arnaud is on a disabled list for 5th straight year- his rep as injury prone is justified-yep

It's such a random assortment of injuries.  It's not like he has a bad knee that keeps flaring up.  He just hurts everyting.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GimmeShelter said:

Some guy called into the FAN today and proposed trading Travis for Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies. Not happening.

If the Mets were willing to take Ruiz' whole salary the Phillies would just give him away. $8.5 million for a guy who hit .211 last year and has had injury issues of his own.  

There might be a better or more unlikely moment all year.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=669453283?topic_id=18985532&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Agreed. I think if he could play something other than second he would have been up already, but it would have been pointless earlier with Walker dropping bombs nightly. You can't call a future starter up and not have him playing.

I'd like to see Walker try 1st.

• Upvote 1

Hard to believe that not too long ago Harvey pitched in game 5 of the WS and has been so bad this season.  Phantom DL?

Move Walker to 3rd and call up Dilson for 2nd.  Loney and Flores platoon at 1st.

Sounds like Wright is gonna be out for a long time.  Gotta think there's a point where he starts to think about hanging em up. :(

3 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I wouldn't mind looking into Jay Bruce's availability now that Conforto has the wrist issue and also as insurance incase he stays in his current funk. Brandon Moss is another guy with big time pop who could help both at 1st and in the OF. Probably not available with the Cards playing well again.

The Mets aren't trading for Jay Bruce.  He doesn't fit them at all.  Moss makes more sense but probably isn't available.  

They should sign Reyes now that he's been DFA'd.

14 hours ago, no psls said:

Reyes is done . 

He's a better option for them than Ty Kelly, Eric Campbell and James Loney.

I was the biggest Reyes fan on the planet, so it pains me to say this, but I honestly don't know if the above is even the case. He looked absolutely awful last year, and a domestic violence case is a terrible look that I'm not so sure the team needs right now.

I don't know what happened to my Jose, but watching him just basically refuse to play on Colorado last year sucked. That's not the guy I saw hit for the cycle at Shea and loved watching every day. I don't think he's worth the risk between the attitude and beating the crap out of his wife, not to mention that he's just not a very good baseball player anymore.

He costs nothing. If he doesn't work out they can drop him.

He's not the first player to have a disastrous half season after being traded from a contender to a rebuilding team

He costs a lot actually, because the distractions that the clubhouse will face every day are going to be constant. It's a really bad look for any team that picks him up. And his play didn't fall off, he refused to even try. Huge difference.

He wasn't that bad in Colorado.

He hit .259 in Colorado for approximately 1/3 of a season. He stole 8 bases. That is not great.

He would cost the Mets a man on the 40 man roster, and I am not convinced he is even worth that.

What has Eric Campbell EVER done?

Do the Mets even have one player with 8 stolen bases?

Wright can go on the 60 day DL and free up a spot.

28 minutes ago, no psls said:

The Mets have to be POLITICALLY CORRECT and avoid Reyes since he beats his wife .

If his wife forgives him, we should be able to do the same.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Fullmer now has the longest rookie scoreless streak since Fernando.

I don't think Reyes fills any holes for the team. Rumor has it the Padres are going to be big sellers. Will Myers seems to finally be living up to his potential AND plays 1st and the outfield. He has been so hot of late however  that his price tag is probably sky high. Wheeler? Watching Fullmer deal I would hate to lose another young stud SP but Myers might be worth it. 

Reyes could backup 2nd, SS and could play 3rd.  He has the arm for 3rd.  He'd be more of a threat than Matt Reynolds will ever be.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Myers will cost you, a lot.

What about Matt Kemp? We need a ******* bat in the lineup, desperately. A real bat.

Not really seeing us with the Reyes idea. But, I can see Jose giving it a good shot to prove something as his career wanes. Hope somebody grabs him and he does well anyway. 

Where would Kemp play?  You don't pay that much in talent and $ to have him split time with their 3 OFers.  OF is not the Mets problem.  Right now they don't have a 1b or 3b.  That's what they should be looking at.

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The Mets problem is they don't hit and they don't score runs. It not about a missing a positional player. We suck right now and we're wasting Ces. If Duda was here right now doing his up and down act I'd still call for a Kemp type to fill this damn roster out.

They're better now with Kelly and Wilmer at 3rd than they were with Wright anyway.

You don't like to Kemp to alleviate the piss poor production in the middle of the lineup out of our outfielders? A good team can play four good outfielders easily. It would serve all four of them well actually..

I need a bat. I don't care where he plays lol

The Mets aren't going to pay $20 million for Kemp + $25 for Cespedes + $16 for Granderson to sit one of them.  That means Conforto goes to minors.  They need a corner bat.

Yulieski Gourriel would make a ton of sense for them. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Flores bat has been good and a young team like the Mets doesn't need a guy who simply quit in Colorado. We all liked Reyes back in the day but that day was a long time ago. I would offer SD Wheeler and something small for Myers.

I'd use Flores at 1st in a platoon with Loney.  Reyes off the bench would be valuable.  He didn't exactly quit in Colorado.  He wasn't great but he's better than their bench options.  Even his diminished performance in Colorado is better than anything Campbell, Kelly and what Matt Reynolds will bring to the table.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company