adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

Bastardo is a solid relief guy, that was a good signing.

Now get Cespedes and I'm a pretty happy dude. 

You can never have enough pitching, starting or bullpen.  2 year deal, low risk, good ERA, good strikeouts, not too old where he should fade.  Good signing.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if you watch SNY but I feel bad for I think it's Sal Licata who was screaming for weeks that Mets fans needed to move on as there was zero chance of a deal happening.  The 27.5 is insane but it's better than complaining about some of the foolish long term contracts we see in place over in the Bronx.  I think Sandy's approach is he'll address the big bat a season at a time if need be unless someone from the system emerges to fill that roll.  

It's crazy money, but it's a one year deal.  Buys you time to see if anyone from the farm can come up.  You are saving money with your uber cheap, young rotation.  Plus, he should be very motivated as he's going to want to prove he deserves 150+ on the market next year.

I'd much rather over pay for one year, then get a better per year deal on a 5-6 year deal.

10 hours ago, Jolot said:

It's amazing what's happened to Harvey , there's obviously something wrong with him , I bet he gets shut down soon , even for a couple starts .

I was about to ask.

I'm not watching the games, and trying not to be the trolling Yankee fan, but what happened to that guy?  You almost hope it's a minor physical thing that 3 weeks off takes care of.

On 6/9/2016 at 9:11 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Here's the reality of things regarding the draft:

- Cecchini, Dilson, Smith, Nimmo, and TJ are all murdering the minors right now. So I think that quelled any need of picking infielders or panicking that we need college graduated bats right away.

- We are in the thick of an era where power pitching rules the roost and that is not changing any time soon. Good pitching prospects are straight up hard currency. And like we saw with the Cespedes trade, you can be thin on offense in the minors so long as you've always got pitching developing. And there is no better organization in baseball right now at developing pitching that us. It's what we do. So stick with what works.

You can never have enough pitching.  You can never have enough cheap pitching.  Come playoffs, pitching rules.  A starting prospect who isn't good sometimes makes a great bullpen arm (Betances and Miller). 

I would never fault a team for drafting too much pitching.  Plus, the injury rate is so high, you just can not have too much, and like you said, it's such a commodity, it's easy to trade to fill other holes.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wright has elected surgery for his neck, so that essentially takes him out for this season. Probably time for the guy to call it a career. 

Prince Fielder had same surgery, missed a full year, had a good half a season, and now is worthless with pain into his arm and weakness.

Not a Met fan, but Wright is a class guy, and I don't like seeing anyone hurt like this.  For the Mets, it is better financially if he is unable to play as they get insurance money to cover a lot of his cost, rather than paying full price for a guy who can't play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, faba said:
SNY
Just now

New York Mets Matt Harvey to undergo season-ending surgery

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Scott Boras tells ESPN that Matt Harvey will undergo surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Thompson to address thoracic outlet syndrome, ending his season. Boras says this is the reason Harvey underperformed this season.

I have patients who have had that surgery, who are pitchers.  They came the back fine, a lot of the time they will actually remove the top most rib on his throwing shoulder.  One kid kept it, made it into a necklace, and wore it on the mound.  (100% true story)

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I think he stays put......Yanks are on a little bit of a roll now. Maybe they even become buyers as crazy as that sounded a few days ago.

I don't think they buy, but Miller is under control on a good contract for 2 more years, and I don't think they want to blow up their whole pen for next year.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We'll see. Also not sure how I feel about another left handed corner OF. The Mets needed a guy who can hit in runs but literally anywhere but there. And all this does is make the CF conundrum worse.

How long is Bruce signed for?

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mets just sent me the greatest email ever. They are raising ticket prices.

Timing.   It is everything.

On 10/1/2016 at 5:21 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I love that matchup. Pressure is entirely on them and the Mets are playing with house money from here on out. If the Mets could just take one of those games at Wrigley and bring it back to Flushing with Thor going things could get reeeeeally interesting. 

Anyone can beat anyone 4 out of 7. 

Best of Luck to you guys this post season.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, deucebag said:

Familia's gotta go...

After you give up a shot like that, how do you come back to spring training and look at other players from the team?

I'm not trying to be mean to the guy, that's just got to be so rough.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He did worse last year, and came back and saved 51 games. Mets are not even in playoffs without Familia. 

I'm not even trying to put him down as a player.  I would have a hard time coming back to the locker room.   That (and a lack of talent) is why I could not be a closer.

3 hours ago, faba said:

Mets have alot of question marks on how to go next year- it will be intriguing to see how Sandy approaches it for sure. Wright it saying he will be 100 per cent- but you can never count on him again really

I think every elite professional athlete says they will be 100% the next year.  It's part of the mindset that makes them an elite professional athlete.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That guy catches a lot of crap for someone who has really never done anything wrong.  All he does is try really hard, say the right things, and pray in public.  Like, how does that bother people so much? 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Reportedly, Colon has come to agreement with a team other than the Mets. 

Thank you Barto!!!

12.5 for one year with the Braves

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Priority now has to be moving Bruce for a catcher. Supposedly the Jays want Bruce bad, I'd do Martin for Bruce straight up most definitely.

Good trade, plus you know he can handle NY.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company