adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

I've been out of the country, I take it we suck again? 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I've been out of the country, I take it we suck again? 

No rhythm or continuity to this team right now. Hopefully it gets straightened out in a couple of weeks of playing regularly. 

Pitchers have missed their spots, and hitters just making consistent contact.

It's the first week. Jesus with some of this fanbase.

Rough starts happen. Pretty clear last night the 10-day layoff had an effect on Matz. So long as they stick around .500 until the break they're fine. Welcome to baseball.

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

No rhythm or continuity to this team right now. Hopefully it gets straightened out in a couple of weeks of playing regularly. 

Pretty much the reason I'm not too worried. If everyone was striking out it would be one thing, but they're getting bats on the ball so they'll be fine. I think the wacky schedule to start the year is partially to blame. You go from having to open up with KC to that huge lag time against two teams with pitchers that you don't have a ton of notes on. They have a nice little road trip after this series in some more hitter-friendly parks, which is probably exactly what they need right now.

If Duda still isn't hitting by the Atlanta series I think Collins is going to have to drop him down and bump Conforto up. You can't let these guys go too long hoping everything will just come together without trying to create a spark yourself, it is only April but the last thing you want is to fall too far into a hole early on and then spend all summer trying to get out of it.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Havent been able to watch a single pitch yet.  Looking forward to getting to watch a little of the new look with a professional infield.  That should be fun!

Early season jitters.  They'll work through it.  I'm sure the expectations and weird start to the season plays a factor.  Putting more stress on yourself than necessary. 

I saw some stat lines, it looks like Conforto is batting well, Grandy getting off to a terrible start and Duda is still lost somewhere in Manhattan? 

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

Havent been able to watch a single pitch yet.  Looking forward to getting to watch a little of the new look with a professional infield.  That should be fun!

Early season jitters.  They'll work through it.  I'm sure the expectations and weird start to the season plays a factor.  Putting more stress on yourself than necessary. 

I saw some stat lines, it looks like Conforto is batting well, Grandy getting off to a terrible start and Duda is still lost somewhere in Manhattan? 

The middle infield has been one of the few bright spots. I feel we have a definite upgrade there.

Cespedes worries me in CF. He just does not seem to get to some balsa that Lagares gets to. If Grandy does not start hitting soon, may have to have Conforto and Cespedes at the Corners (I know they are loathe to doing that) with Lagares in the middle.

Bottom line of things, the pitchers just do not look sharp, which you know they will be eventually.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The middle infield has been one of the few bright spots. I feel we have a definite upgrade there.

Cespedes worries me in CF. He just does not seem to get to some balsa that Lagares gets to. If Grandy does not start hitting soon, may have to have Conforto and Cespedes at the Corners (I know they are loathe to doing that) with Lagares in the middle.

Bottom line of things, the pitchers just do not look sharp, which you know they will be eventually.

If that's the biggest issue, I'm not concerned.  They'll settle down.  

I'd love to see a nice run in April again, that really set them up well last year. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Im jealous! Wish I hadn't!

That said, its way too early for the typical NY fan overreaction that is happening now.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Montero called up for long relief. Better safe than sorry.

Henderson has also been one of the revelations, as well the bullpen has generally performed very well as a whole. 

Would love to see Montero do well this year

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Henderson has also been one of the revelations, as well the bullpen has generally performed very well as a whole. 

Would love to see Montero do well this year

Henderson is a beast. By far the most pleasant surprise of the year so far. I was up near the dugout for Sunday's game and the entire team loves the guy. If his performance holds constant for a few more weeks I think they have to consider making him their 8th inning guy over Reed. His fastball was hitting 95-96 on the gun consistently and he was straight up overpowering hitters. Nasty movement on his slider too. There's certainly a possibility that some of this is a result that hitters haven't seen him but with the movement he's getting on his pitches I don't think so.

15 fast balls, 13 fouls, Henderson throws a slider, and Gordon gets a hit. 

The lack of run support is just killing us - it's like cmonnnnnn mannnnn, what gives, ruined syndergaard's 12k performance

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

15 fast balls, 13 fouls, Henderson throws a slider, and Gordon gets a hit. 

Of course this started it.  Of course it did.

9 day road trip after tomorrow. Man, if there was ever a time that they needed to get out of Flushing for a little while. Brutal start to the season. Cespedes looks like he's finding his groove so that's big, and Cleveland and Philly are way more hitter friendly than Citi so some of these shots they've been putting up should carry a little better. If they can win tomorrow with Verrett on the mound and take the first two of these upcoming series that should get them back on track. But if they still can't get anything going offensively then Terry is going to have to make some major changes by the next homestand. You can't enter into the heart of the first 1/3 of the season with bats this cold. Not this year. The NL is going to be too tough and the east looks like it's going to be more competitive than expected.

.187 w/ runners in scoring position on the season so far. 

Nice little test today with Flores at 1st and Plawecki/Lagares in there. This is the lineup we're going to be seeing once or twice a week for the year so please god don't let Wilmer be as bad at 1st as he was at 3rd the other day.

Why pull Verrett and go to a guy who pitched 1,000 pitches last night? 

This makes no sense.  Henderson looks like a shell of himself. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Without speed, this team has to figure out how to string hits together and build an inning, rather than waiting on the home run.

They have no idea how to play small ball.  It's infuriating at times. 

Collins needs his head checked.  Bringing in Henderson was some serious stupid sh*t.  Why even pull Verrett to begin with?

WTF??????????????????

Double switches Walker out and Flores over to second, Wilmer proceeds to botch a high grounder and put a man on for Stanton. This after Wilmer had a great day on the corner. Collins just doesn't seem to have any feel for anything lately. One head scratcher after another.

Aaaaand switching De Aza in loses Cespedes' arm in left and then costs the Mets a run. Ironically the runner from the Wilmer botch.

Thank the lord.

I really don't know what the hell this team would have done if we didn't sign Yo because De Aza looks like sh*t.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Collins needs his head checked.  Bringing in Henderson was some serious stupid sh*t.  Why even pull Verrett to begin with?

WTF??????????????????

I can't believe Henderson was brought in after yesterday. Familia's usage has been odd too like last year's playoffs.

Alright, so some positives to take from the first 8 games:

- The Mets finished 12th in fielding last year. They have opened the season at top 5. There are two reasons for this, the infield and the catchers. Cabrera and Walker are such an upgrade, and both catchers look great defensively. d'Arnaud coming out of nowhere and picking runners off on consecutive days over the weekend was awesome to see. The Mets were one of the worst teams in the league at holding runners last year so even one step up from last season in that respect is a huge one.

- If a team is going to open up with some problems I'll take cold bats over pitching or defensive problems. Slumps come around, the latter two are much harder to fix.

- Wilmer looks like a disaster at third but holy crap did he look great at first today. It's a small sample size but it makes sense given how bad he's been at short in the past. The less he has to worry about dealing with right-handed hitters the better I guess. Learning a first baseman's footwork can be tough though, so we'll see how it goes.

- Middle relief has not been a disaster. Henderson got worked by Dee Gordon but everyone does. Robles and Blevins both look like legit major leaguers, the former especially looking improved from last year. And don't forget they're getting Montero for the road trip.

- Familia looks back to his old self. I was doubtful he'd ever regain his dominance after collapsing in the World Series last year. That's not easy to come back from at all mentally.

- Safe to say Noah Syndergaard is the most freakish under-25 pitcher this organization has had since Doc. And it's time to put the Dickey trade ranked third for best trades in the history of this org.

• Upvote 3

I hope Conforto becomes an everyday player this year

10 hours ago, deckerfan said:

The kid looks the part.  He's a pro at the plate.  I dont really see why he'd come out of the line up very often. 

10 hours ago, deckerfan said:

The guy he needs to start pulling when he wants to switch Lagares or De Aza in is Granderson. Yes, he was the engine for the offense last year and he's getting paid a gazillion dollars, but the age wall is undefeated and you can't sacrifice Conforto's development which has clearly accelerated because we're waiting to see if Curtis can get going. I think if Granderson can't get it going by the end of this road trip it's time to start cutting down his time. It's not a coincidence that they can't hit for sh*t and the leadoff guy is hitting .097. Wright is actually swinging the bat well in the 2-hole which makes it all the more frustrating. We'd have another 1-2 runs per game if Curtis could just get on base.