2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At the very least, having as much depth in the OF as we have affords us opportunities to keep people fresh over the long haul.

Same deal in the infield and at catcher.  Having guys like Wilmer and Plawecki available off the bench are big for TC.  And of course we'll later get a look at Dilson Herrera.

The difference is this year they look like they're settling into a much more regular lineup, as opposed to last year when they platooned the outfield and infield regularly. Kind of have to, really. Conforto is too good and Curtis and Yo make too much money to justify anything otherwise, and Walker and Cabrera are everyday guys. I have no idea what's going to happen with Walker but so long as he's playing like this I don't think we're going to be seeing much of Dilson at all.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have no idea what's going to happen with Walker but so long as he's playing like this I don't think we're going to be seeing much of Dilson at all.

I would have to think Walker handles 3B if Wright goes down, no?  I think we need to at least get an idea of what we have in Dilson at some point this season.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would have to think Walker handles 3B if Wright goes down, no?  I think we need to at least get an idea of what we have in Dilson at some point this season.

Flores would go to 3rd if Wright goes down.

Walker is just a one year rental. Though, it will be interesting to see if they tender him, as they did Murphy. I would doubt it though, as they seem very high on Herrera, and that will hopefully give them more $$ to sign some pitching extensions.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Is Walker even any good at third? I dunno, Flores kinda blows playing anywhere on the left side too. To be honest I think utility infielder is probably the biggest need on the team right now. If Cabrera or Wright have to miss any extended time at any point we're kind of screwed. I guess Campbell can play third but then we're essentially hitting with a 7-man lineup.

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is Walker even any good at third? I dunno, Flores kinda blows playing anywhere on the left side too. To be honest I think utility infielder is probably the biggest need on the team right now. If Cabrera or Wright have to miss any extended time at any point we're kind of screwed. I guess Campbell can play third but then we're essentially hitting with a 7-man lineup.

I thought Walker had more experience at third than he actually has; played 15 games there in '09 and '10 combined and never again.  Never mind, lol.

I stayed up to watch that...and yes, they should have walked that dude...but how many stranded base runners did the Mets squander last night?

I mean, they smashed a couple more...but they've got find a way to drive in runs outside of hitting bombs. 

19 hours ago, JiF said:

I stayed up to watch that...and yes, they should have walked that dude...but how many stranded base runners did the Mets squander last night?

I mean, they smashed a couple more...but they've got find a way to drive in runs outside of hitting bombs. 

I agree, but for better or for worse, that is how this team is really built. And there are a lot of extreme streak hitters on this team to boot.

Nice to see matz with a couple of really nice start after the stinker he threw out there in his first go.  Curious to see what DeGrom has today.  Pitching rounding into shape, bats are getting going.  9-7 after a slow start.  Just might have to count on the Mets to beat the Nats themselves, because no one else seems to be able to do it.

This offense is going to live and die with the long ball. That's fine for road trips but concerning for home starts. We are definitely going to have to add a couple more pieces at the deadline, the NL is just too deep this year to be this one-dimensional. We are a hell of an exciting team to watch but we are going to need some guys who can play small ball.

Great seeing deGrom out there.  

And cant remember the last time I was excited about the career of a hitter we called up more than I am about Conforto. This time last year he was playing in the farm, now he's just a gem at the plate with some incredibly awesome timely hitting.

It's great to see Grandy get it going too.  He's the catalyst to the offense.  If he's on, it seems like everyone else just follow suit. 

Sounds like D'Arnaud is about to go on the DL. He is made of china. Hopefully Plawecki can do a better job slowing the turn game. I actually like how he has been hotting better than D'Arnaud to date.

Mets also need to start thinking how to phase out Wright, I see his bat slowing, and he is more a mistake hitter than anything else. Hope I am wrong.

New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes underwent a minor procedure on Monday intended to reduce the chronic swelling in his ailing right leg.

Manager Terry Collins told reporters Cespedes had "a lot" of fluid drained from an area above his knee.

"There are bruises you get where there's a buildup of fluid," Collins said, via MLB.

"That can be very painful in that part of the leg, near the joint. That's why he was doing all the limping. So with that fluid coming out of there … after tonight it will be up to how he feels. But if you would have seen the swelling, you would understand why he had no chance at playing."

Cespedes originally hurt his leg on April 13 when he leapt into the Citi Field stands in pursuit of a foul ball against the Miami Marlins.

The 30-year-old collided with a seat and a spectator, giving him multiple bruises.

Cespedes initially did not miss any time, but the swelling and pain had gotten worse with time, forcing him out of the line-up for the third straight game on Monday. 

The Mets hope the procedure will give Cespedes the opportunity to play within the coming days. 

"At the moment, we're looking at it on a day-by-day basis," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said.

"Fortunately, we have the depth that we anticipated we would need, and so we've been able to survive his absence over the last several days. And I'm sure we'll do our best to survive over the next two or three."

Also been saying this for a while but d'Arnaud gets a bad rap with this stuff. His two injuries last year were on freak plays that really anyone would have gotten hurt on. Getting beaned on the hand and then that weird Giants tag that everyone has to do now. This is the first real thing that's happened on its own in some time. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also been saying this for a while but d'Arnaud gets a bad rap with this stuff. His two injuries last year were on freak plays that really anyone would have gotten hurt on. Getting beaned on the hand and then that weird Giants tag that everyone has to do now. This is the first real thing that's happened on its own in some time. 

He deserves his rep.

Archived