adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, Rangers9 said:

What most Mets fans want is to build on the pitching staff and give them adequate weapons to last an entire season. And to have a competitive payroll, not bottom ten. And not to play cheapball and hope that the team is competitive going into the trade deadline. What we've seen so far this off season is unsatisfactory.

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

:rolleyes:

Same bs argument from when the Coupons first crashed. Too bad he knows nothing about baseball, and the way things are now in MLB. Clueless. 

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the game knows they'ye in good shape and the moves were solid. Going back a good while now too.

doosh

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That was an awesome game. Using Duda as a decoy lol, don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

I thought for sure we were losing that game, most of the bats were lifeless, couple of big bats out, due for a cold night, that was a fun win! Familia looked about the best he has all year too last night, which was nice to see.

• Upvote 1

I had to stream the game last night and the stream lost connection right before Yo-Yo's bomb!

2 minutes ago, no psls said:

It's Harvey Day !! It's Harvey Day !!   But what if the Reds knock him around :

images (1).jpg

You're a strange dude and I like it. 

That ias the type of game you need to win to very successful over the course of the season. Also need to take advantage of teams that are not very good

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, no psls said:

funny-fatty-5.jpg

Your search history is probably one for the ages.  

Noah Syndergaard is off to a red-hot start for the surging New York Mets.

The 6-foot-6 righty nicknamed "Thor" has been blowing away the baseball world through four starts, posting a 1.69 ERA and 0.98 WHIP, while giving up just 22 hits to 38 strikeouts and no home runs.

Even more impressive has been Syndergaard's physical dominance on the mound, as he has been hitting 98 mph on his fastball and 93 mph on his new slider, according to FanGraphs.

And while this type of power is virtually unseen in MLB, it's also raising concerns about how sustainable it is. According to Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci, some people in the baseball world are worried about whether Syndergaard can continue to throw the ball so hard, especially when he figures to log so many innings.

Verducci spoke to an MLB GM, who said that either Syndergaard is a force of nature or this won't last:

Physical freaks come along once a generation. He's either that or this is not sustainable. The odds tell you that it's not sustainable. It's easy for people to point to his size and say that's why he's different than everybody else. But I don't know that size alone protects you. He does look like he has good mechanics.

Right now, he stands alone with his stuff. Nobody sits at 99 mph and throws a slider 93...

The question is, does he hold up? There's almost no one else to go by.

As Verducci notes, the last pitcher to lead baseball in fastball and slider velocity was Syndergaard's teammate, Matt Harvey, in 2013, when he was averaging 96 and 90 mph, respectively. Harvey blew out his elbow the next season.

While analyzing Syndergaard's newfound slider, "Baseball Tonight's" Bill Ripken noted that Syndergaard's "off speed" pitches come across the plate at 93 mph. What they lack in technique, such as spin or movement, they make up for in speed.

ESPN's Mark Simon wrote about Syndergaard's hot start and asked a major-league scout about Syndergaard's ceiling. The scout acknowledged that maybe only one thing could get in Syndergaard's way: "[His] ceiling is unlimited. Amazing talent. I wish him good health."

As Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander told Verducci, medical science and training has improved so much in recent years that Syndergaard's body may be well-adapted to throwing this hard.

Nonetheless, there's risk of Syndergaard throwing out his arm. He's established himself as the best pitcher in the Mets' rotation, which means that he has many innings ahead of him.

Mastering control and spin on pitches like his devastating slider may become very important factors for Syndergaard as opposed to hurling the ball so hard on every pitch.

• Upvote 1

Well I just read d'Arnaud is on a disabled list for 5th straight year- his rep as injury prone is justified-yep

5 hours ago, faba said:

Well I just read d'Arnaud is on a disabled list for 5th straight year- his rep as injury prone is justified-yep

It's such a random assortment of injuries.  It's not like he has a bad knee that keeps flaring up.  He just hurts everyting.

• Upvote 1

It's amazing to think how quickly Thor has risen to the point of considered the best SP on the staff by some.

Imagine if Wheeler lives up to the hype he had as a minor leaguer.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, adb280z said:

It's such a random assortment of injuries.  It's not like he has a bad knee that keeps flaring up.  He just hurts everyting.

Some guy called into the FAN today and proposed trading Travis for Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies. Not happening.

1 minute ago, GimmeShelter said:

Some guy called into the FAN today and proposed trading Travis for Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies. Not happening.

If the Mets were willing to take Ruiz' whole salary the Phillies would just give him away. $8.5 million for a guy who hit .211 last year and has had injury issues of his own.  

5 hours ago, adb280z said:

His injuries have seemed so fluky. :(

6 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Conforto is so damn good!

MVP  Most Valuable Paisan

10 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Conforto is so damn good!

I'm physically attracted to him and his swing makes me randy. 

• Upvote 2

Can Walker possibly keep this pace up?  I mean, I know he can't but what if???

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm physically attracted to him and his swing makes me randy. 

Conforto is what Jeffries was supposed to be..... Damn, I feel old saying that.

• Upvote 3

Conforto was a good draft pick because he was probably rated the best hitter in college baseball that year and as with most college players more ready for MLB than a high school player. And it's easier to better evaluate a college player than a high school guy even when they have elite talent. So far he is showing us that the skill set we saw last year he's building on. This guy knows how to hit. But let's not jump the gun on him yet (and Terry is now batting him 3rd in the lineup-and that's huge to be in the 3 hole on an MLB roster in only your second year). It's a long season and many players (and teams) undergo slumps. btw one guy who started getting out of a slump at the end of last year and now is swinging at better pitches and not going for bad pitches is Duda. If he can do this and be more disciplined the sky is the limit with him. He can be a .270 plus and a 30-100. There was a time last year when I thought he was hopelessly bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Can Walker possibly keep this pace up?  I mean, I know he can't but what if???

Kinda crazy to think about how many HR's we've gotten out of the 2B position.  Since September 30th 2015, Murphy and Walker each hit 8 HR's apiece.  16 HR's combined in under 40 Mets games.

This Giants series should be entertaining from a pitching standpoint. Their staff has been throwing like dogsh*t and there's just no way it's going to hold with that talent. They have to rebound soon and we certainly have the park for it. Thor v Madison is gonna be the t-ts.

• Upvote 1

I am completely inept when it comes to technology and stuff, so I think I'm doing this right but check out this picture my GF snapped yesterday walking the city.  I had to do a double take at first when she sent it to me.  

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 4/27/2016 at 9:54 PM, GimmeShelter said:

Where's that guy who was berating the fact that we traded for Walker instead of giving Murphy three years?

0037fdb73bb88dd60.gif

**** YOU DEE GORDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more owning the Mets for you, cheater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Michael Fullmer has been called up by the Tigers. It will be interesting to see how he performs-He was a big cog in the Cespedes trade

I dunno. Fulmer seems like a lock to be good, but I feel like no matter what happens it was a good trade for both sides. The Mets don't run away with the division without him last year and who knows if they would have had him this year. An established relationship certainly played a part in him coming back to Flushing.

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno. Fulmer seems like a lock to be good, but I feel like no matter what happens it was a good trade for both sides. The Mets don't run away with the division without him last year and who knows if they would have had him this year. An established relationship certainly played a part in him coming back to Flushing.

Totally agree. Good trade regardless. Still, always fun to see how the farm system develops outside of the Mets. 

SNY with Jeep.
40 mins

Friday Night Baseball lineup:
Curtis Granderson – RF
David Wright – 3B
Michael Conforto – LF
Yoenis Cespedes – CF
Lucas Duda – 1B
Neil Walker – 2B
Asdrubal Cabrera – SS
Kevin Plawecki – C
Steven Matz – LHP