2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I might have been seeing things last night but to me he looked like he dropped some weight. When the season started he looked a little husky to me. Might have just been the uniform, I dunno.

Also this is going to sound corny AF but I really just think it's mental with him. You see the look on his face this year and the intensity just isn't there. When he gave up the lead in the 5th I swear his eyes welled up a little bit. The look on his face was just pure frustration. Never used to see that with him.

Also him getting scored for earned runs on those first two last night was complete horsesh*t. That was an error by Conforto no doubt.

Agree, Conforto really screwed the pooch on that one. It's still early, hopefully he gets straight.

Holy sh*t, this west coast trip has been absolutely brutal. 

The Phillis are ahead of the Mets.  I know its baseball and this sh*t happens but let that sink in for a minute.  The Phillies. 

And the division is ridiculously competitive now because of it.

When Conforto came up last year he had such good bat skills that I thought maybe we really had something there. Most Mets fans were like me highly encouraged by what we saw. And then as we all know he looked like a potential league leading type hitter with the start that he had. Well, I don't know if he's going to be consistent enough to become a .300 plus hitter on an annual basis. My only concern is the huge slump he's been in. And hopefully it's over. I honestly thought he was too skilled to fall into that kind of slump. And even if not hitting the ball hard he was good enough to avoid a huge 0-for. If he can the guy can be elite. If not we're talking a good .270-80 hitter. 

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly the type of start we needed last night.  Dominant.

That Grandy leadoff HR put Sherzer back on his heals a bit. It made him 2nd guess his stuff last night.

Thor on the other hand realized he had all 4 pitches working.early and hitting triple digits 7x in the 1st inning realy had his juices running.

Need to take 1 of these last 2 to send a message in our house.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, JiF said:

Holy sh*t, this west coast trip has been absolutely brutal. 

The Phillis are ahead of the Mets.  I know its baseball and this sh*t happens but let that sink in for a minute.  The Phillies. 

And the division is ridiculously competitive now because of it.

I think when and if Harvey and DeGrom  get through whatever it is that has them a bit off that the team will start to settle into a pattern of playing very good baseball on a consistent basis.  Of course we need the bats to stay healthy as well so we'll see.

Was watching the DBacks last night against the Yanks (who are a mess in every aspect) and they have some pieces in place that could make some noise this year as well.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Does anyone know how many runs the Mets have scored off HomeRuns this season?

I swear they only score when they hit HomeRuns. 

Its pretty staggering, IIRC they are/were 1st overall in HR's and 10th overall in scoring. I know this is where MLB seems to be heading, but this is highly concerning for a playoff run. To expect to only score via HR's in 3 post season rounds is going to be extremely difficult.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It worked for 2 postseason rounds last year!  See: Murphy, Daniel. 

It did, and I hope it can work again, but at some point you need to deliver base hits with a runner in scoring position and 2 outs. Banking on another Murphy type performance is highly risky, that was a historically good 2 playoff series, that can be put up with the best playoff series of all time.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

It did, and I hope it can work again, but at some point you need to deliver base hits with a runner in scoring position and 2 outs. Banking on another Murphy type performance is highly risky, that was a historically good 2 playoff series, that can be put up with the best playoff series of all time.

I do think the contact hitting will get better though.  Cabrera and Walker are strong candidates to help us there.  And I wouldn't rule out a small trade at some point like the one we made for Uribe and Johnson last season.  We could use a depth guy at third base that's better than Eric Campbell.

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Its pretty staggering, IIRC they are/were 1st overall in HR's and 10th overall in scoring. I know this is where MLB seems to be heading, but this is highly concerning for a playoff run. To expect to only score via HR's in 3 post season rounds is going to be extremely difficult.

Agreed.  Especially vs. great pitchers that are on.  You need to be able to manufacture runs and play a little small ball.  See the Royals as example.  

The Mets have to get better with building runs though- that has been the Yankees downfall in the playoffs can not depend on homeruns with the good pitchers you see at playoff time

2 hours ago, faba said:

The Mets have to get better with building runs though- that has been the Yankees downfall in the playoffs can not depend on homeruns with the good pitchers you see at playoff time

Its bound to get better.  This is not a team built to play small ball, but same way the home run pace is likely to drop, the batting average with RISP (.165 with 2 outs and .208 overall - both last in MLB) is bound to increase.  

At least that is what I keep telling myself.

9 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Probably being a homer here but I don't think it's going to be a problem after the trade deadline. This team is incredibly desperate for a reliable utility infielder that can hit, and it's really glaring. I mean yeesh, two infielders sit and all of a sudden we're fielding a 6-man lineup and AAA players at both corners. Not one, both. That's all fine and dandy if Thor, deGrom, or Matz are on the mound, but the other two? Not so much. There's no way that's going to hold. With all the time Wright is going to miss this summer I don't think Alderson is going to let us go into August and September without making a move for that.

Yes, I'm being presumptive. But Alderson always seems to patch up any hole on the squad.

Recipe for a loss:  11 walks.  2 HBP.  1 for 5 with RISP, and the 1 does not produce a run.  Rough night.

Any chance Harvey will be good Harvey tonight.  This would be the perfect spot for him to get his act together -- for more than 4 innings.

Man, the lack of hitting is disgusting.  It's either a homerun or nothing with this team.  Nobody has good at bats.  It's gross. 

With only one of our Ace's currently pitching like an Ace.  I wont lie, I'm nervous.

On a positive note, I really F'ing love watching Lagares in Center.  Such a joy.

Archived