2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is Wheeler at in his recovery?  

Harvey is hard to watch these days.  Shame too.  He really was the lone bright spot for a while but he's just serving up meatballs these days.  Literally anyone can hit him.  

I know it might be a funk but is it too early to talk about him being possoble trade bait? 

We know we can't keep them all.  You have to think about it, no?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Where is Wheeler at in his recovery?  

Harvey is hard to watch these days.  Shame too.  He really was the lone bright spot for a while but he's just serving up meatballs these days.  Literally anyone can hit him.  

I know it might be a funk but is it too early to talk about him being possoble trade bait? 

We know we can't keep them all.  You have to think about it, no?

Can't think about trading him while his value is at an all time low.  Assuming he's healthy, he'll figure things out and be fine.  It is odd to watch him struggle like this right now however.

Wheeler is due back sometime around the All-Star break I think.

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Hate to overreact in May, but looking crappy and flawed 

Completely one-dimensional team. .200 with RISP is not going to win you a World Series. The Mets honestly need a few more players and preferably infielders. I don't know why the hell we didn't bring back Uribe. This squad is in desperate need of guys like that.

We should start playing Lagares more. If he can just get his bat going even a little bit he becomes a decent trade chip if the Mets are willing to take on some of his salary.

I just keep trying to tell myself, the goal is to be .500 at the break. That's the goal for every team through the summer. A baseball season is such a grind, .500 at the AS break puts you in a position to make a playoff run. The Mets are right there. But this extremelyhot/extremely cold sh*t isn't going to cut it if we get there.

11 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Can't think about trading him while his value is at an all time low.  Assuming he's healthy, he'll figure things out and be fine.  It is odd to watch him struggle like this right now however.

Wheeler is due back sometime around the All-Star break I think.

Yeah, this is true...but you never know, a team desperate that thinks a change of scenery could be good might be willing to take a risk thinking he can turn it around.

I think Dan Warthen stinks.  We've had a great pitching coaches in the past and I think he stinks and it gets covered up by the fact he has a ton of talent.  I dont have confidence he can fix what's wrong with Harvey.

We need infielders and tough at bats...someone similar to Murphy with a glove.  Nobody on the team is a tough at bat.  Nobody.

10 hours ago, Jolot said:

It's amazing what's happened to Harvey , there's obviously something wrong with him , I bet he gets shut down soon , even for a couple starts .

I was about to ask.

I'm not watching the games, and trying not to be the trolling Yankee fan, but what happened to that guy?  You almost hope it's a minor physical thing that 3 weeks off takes care of.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I was about to ask.

I'm not watching the games, and trying not to be the trolling Yankee fan, but what happened to that guy?  You almost hope it's a minor physical thing that 3 weeks off takes care of.

To me he just flat out looks out of shape, he has drinkers face also imo, Collins claiming it is fatigue from last year. It's hard to say , I would expect a 15 day DL stint announced any minute now .

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Completely one-dimensional team. .200 with RISP is not going to win you a World Series. The Mets honestly need a few more players and preferably infielders. I don't know why the hell we didn't bring back Uribe. This squad is in desperate need of guys like that.

We should start playing Lagares more. If he can just get his bat going even a little bit he becomes a decent trade chip if the Mets are willing to take on some of his salary.

I just keep trying to tell myself, the goal is to be .500 at the break. That's the goal for every team through the summer. A baseball season is such a grind, .500 at the AS break puts you in a position to make a playoff run. The Mets are right there. But this extremelyhot/extremely cold sh*t isn't going to cut it if we get there.

Letting go Ted Williams, I mean Daniel Murphy, is hurting bad right now. The guy is such a tough out, and that is sorely missing from this lineup.

Harvey is lost, DeGrom has not been his dominant self, although still very good, and Matz hurt. Familia has not looked nearly as dominating as last year, Wright looks awful, Duda looks awful, and the rest of the team is just so damn streaky, and last night the defense was bad, but probably did not matter.

Your right about the .500, and if you would have told me in the middle of last year we were going to the WS, I never would have believed it, but this team has a lot of work to do to even play with the Nationals at this point, let alone the Cubs.

The Mets' need for an IF, starting a couple minor leaguers against the Nationals this week, really makes me appreciate the Cubs' Zobrist signing from a totally different perspective. The Mets might be the team to beat in the NL with that signing...not that this isn't a very, very good Mets team.

20 hours ago, Jolot said:

It's amazing what's happened to Harvey , there's obviously something wrong with him , I bet he gets shut down soon , even for a couple starts .

Possibly.

I heard on the FAN today that Strasburg was actually shut down for a month last season and has been his old self ever since. Who knows what the deal with Harvey is but it was funny to listen to our fan base call in and say he needs to be sent down. I forget the stat but it had to do with him having more games of allowing 1 run or less in his first 56 MLB starts then anyone in history.

I think that he and the team will be fine.  It would help if Travis came back and Wright stayed healthy/contributed but the team is too talented to justify how overboard some of the fan base is after a quarter of the season.  I think Rutgers is right in that we need an alternative to Wright ( I thought Flores would fill that role) via a trade as the season goes by. Nothing major, just a professional bat who can handle the position if Wright is hurt or not producing.

Come July a ton of guys will become available.

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The Mets' need for an IF, starting a couple minor leaguers against the Nationals this week, really makes me appreciate the Cubs' Zobrist signing from a totally different perspective. The Mets might be the team to beat in the NL with that signing...not that this isn't a very, very good Mets team.

True but the Cubs were still going to be the team to beat in the regular season. Lackey and Zobrist solidified that even further while Heyward's defense at least helps. Cubbies still need to prove that they can hit upper echelon pitching in the post season though.

I don't know. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I don't see how exceeding an innings limit a year ago would cause someone to hang a curveball now. I mean, it's a curveball. Sure, maybe his velocity being off is related to last year, but not a curve. And if you've watched his starts this year you know he simply falls apart at the first sign of adversity. One error and he just gives up. Done. And that's happened a bunch of times now.

And btw, you know who called this years ago? Keith. When everyone was building up the Dark Knight moniker and Harvey was saying he wanted to be the next Jeter, Keith was saying during all his starts that he needed to chill on that noise. New York is simply too tough a place to play in for you to help the media build up a persona before you've earned your keep. Now between the negative pub with the innings stuff last year and his struggles last year, it's just brutal. Actually, brutal is a bad word. Sad. This is all just sad.

6 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

True but the Cubs were still going to be the team to beat in the regular season. Lackey and Zobrist solidified that even further while Heyward's defense at least helps. Cubbies still need to prove that they can hit upper echelon pitching in the post season though.

If we landed Zobrist we wouldn't have been able to pay Yo. And that's a no-brainer.

As an older shcool guy I can't believe I'm saying this cuz I always thought the 100 pitch and innings limit stuff was nonsense , but it's real , for whatever reason , times have changed , it's real. Matz and Noah have been by far and away our best starters so far this year while Harvey and Degrom don't look the same , velocity down etc etc....hopefully as the season goes on the arms round into shape but I don't think it's a coincidence at this point .

Wow.  Harvey goes out and looks like garbage and we get knocked around by the Nats and we get a couple dozen posts.  Next night, Matz takes the hill after missing a start and is lights out.  Conforto adds the 2-run dinger, bullpen adds 2 dominant innings and nothing.  Not a single post.

Happy with the win (always happy with a win), but still not happy about an offense that doesn't score without the long ball.  Until the kid's HR, we were making Peralta and his 7 ERA look like a Cy Young candidate.

11 hours ago, Jolot said:

As an older shcool guy I can't believe I'm saying this cuz I always thought the 100 pitch and innings limit stuff was nonsense , but it's real , for whatever reason , times have changed , it's real. Matz and Noah have been by far and away our best starters so far this year while Harvey and Degrom don't look the same , velocity down etc etc....hopefully as the season goes on the arms round into shape but I don't think it's a coincidence at this point .

I am also an old school guy -- or maybe just an old guy.  But I wonder if part of the issue is the way these guys are treated while coming up.  With all of the innings limits in the minor leagues maybe guys are just not building the strength in their arms that the pitchers of the 60s and 70s built up.  If a guy could start 40 games and go 300 innings back then, why can't they go 30 and 200 today.  Or maybe guys are just throwing a lot harder today and it takes a greater toll on their arms.  

22 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I forgot that the Mets' ownership is still crying poor and wouldn't pony up for Cespedes if they signed Zobrist.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I forgot that the Mets' ownership is still crying poor and wouldn't pony up for Cespedes if they signed Zobrist.

Well actually....no one ponied up for him except for the Mets and Nats....and that includes the Cubbies. Looking like the best signing of the off season to date.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Meh. His glove is ready and Campbell is absolute garbage at the plate. If we have to play with a 7-man lineup we're better off getting him the ABs.

You can ruin a kid like that. let him develop.

Flores will be back later this week, and for better or worse, he needs to fill in.

Archived