2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Well actually....no one ponied up for him except for the Mets and Nats....and that includes the Cubbies. Looking like the best signing of the off season to date.

OK? My point is that the Mets might not have pulled off Zobrist AND Cespedes, which is probably what it would have taken to put them ahead of the Cubs.

-----

What's up with Dilson Herrera? I've always liked him. Blocked by Walker - prospective starter in 2017?

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

What's up with Dilson Herrera? I've always liked him. Blocked by Walker - prospective starter in 2017?

Sounds like Duda may be down a while with the back injury.  Any chance Walker could play first base and they give Herrera a shot now?":

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like Duda may be down a while with the back injury.  Any chance Walker could play first base and they give Herrera a shot now?":

They talked about that asa remote possibility on the broadcast today. Or Wright moving to first. Or Deaza, who has taken some ground balls.

Darling brought up the remote possibility of Smith, and hewas downplayed as not being ready with the bat.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

OK? My point is that the Mets might not have pulled off Zobrist AND Cespedes, which is probably what it would have taken to put them ahead of the Cubs.

-----

Oh I agree with you. Mets got lucky that Zobrist took the Cub offer..

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

That's not agreeing with me? It's cool THO - I saw these breasts on Game of Thrones that could move even the coldest of hearts.

Ben Zobrist turns 35 in 3 days.  Something tells that failing to sign a guy to a contract that takes him to age 39 won't be a franchise-breaking decision.  Certainly a good player for the Cubs right now but not a great fit for the Mets.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ben Zobrist turns 35 in 3 days.  Something tells that failing to sign a guy to a contract that takes him to age 39 won't be a franchise-breaking decision.  Certainly a good player for the Cubs right now but not a great fit for the Mets.

Zobrist's deal ends when he is 38. He would have been a fantastic fit on the Mets' roster, you just have one of the bottom tier owners in the league is all. I thought Cubs fans' lack of recognition of their team's big market identity was insufferable, but Mets fans take the cake easily on that one. I couldn't possibly care less that the Cubs are paying one of the best players in baseball over the last decade ~$14m a year until he's 38. If you guys sh*t your pants over that price for Zobrist, still clearly a very good player, good luck staying relevant once all your arms blow up.

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Zobrist's deal ends when he is 38. He would have been a fantastic fit on the Mets' roster, you just have one of the bottom tier owners in the league is all. I thought Cubs fans' lack of recognition of their team's big market identity was insufferable, but Mets fans take the cake easily on that one. I couldn't possibly care less that the Cubs are paying one of the best players in baseball over the last decade ~$14m a year until he's 38. If you guys sh*t your pants over that price for Zobrist, still clearly a very good player, good luck staying relevant once all your arms blow up.

Mets ownership has been cheap. There is nothing the fans can do other than boycott the product which will not happen after sweeping the Cubs like they were a single A team in the NLCS and making it to the WS. 

They did make an offer to Zobrist and again, due to their spending limits and need for a power bat, they were lucky he went elsewhere. Cespedes is a much more important piece for the team than Zobrist ever would have been. The Cubs spent a lot this off season but they also off set some of the Zobrist money with the Castro deal.  Again, you can't blame fans over what ownership will or will not spend.

Not sure I'd call Zobrist one of the best players in baseball over the past decade. He's a good player.... a nice piece of the pie on a good team.

15 hours ago, Lith said:

I was thinking of this the other day...just not sure Conforto can play it...but it would be sweet if Confroto could play 1st and Cespedes wasnt so hard headed about Center.

Because moving him to a corner and putting Lagares in Center would be sweet without having to sit Conforto.

36 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Ben Zobrist.  One of the best players in baseball the last decade.  Gato just said that.  Jeeezus. 

25 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Mets ownership has been cheap. There is nothing the fans can do other than boycott the product which will not happen after sweeping the Cubs like they were a single A team in the NLCS and making it to the WS. 

They did make an offer to Zobrist and again, due to their spending limits and need for a power bat, they were lucky he went elsewhere. Cespedes is a much more important piece for the team than Zobrist ever would have been. The Cubs spent a lot this off season but they also off set some of the Zobrist money with the Castro deal.  Again, you can't blame fans over what ownership will or will not spend.

Not sure I'd call Zobrist one of the best players in baseball over the past decade. He's a good player.... a nice piece of the pie on a good team.

This is probably meant to get under my skin as a Cubs fan, but it was the case of a blind squirrel finding a really young nut. The Mets have to hope and pray to Jah himself that those arms don't blow up, and right now only Syndergaard seems to be holding up.

You guys really do not know how to take what originally started as a well intended compliment. No one's blaming your dolts for what ownership will or will not spend. OTOH your efforts to excuse it are hilarious and poor.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ben Zobrist.  One of the best players in baseball the last decade.  Gato just said that.  Jeeezus. 

Don't tell me this fanbase, on top of clearly being insecure and developing a Napoleon complex after decades in the shadow of the Yankees, is meatheaded as a muh too? You have ******* Sandy Alderson and had Paul DePodesta in your FO! How are you people painfully unaware of this! Since 2010 Zobrist is 9th in fWAR in all of baseball. It's not the be all end all, but yeah this is one of the most valuable and best players of the 2010s.

Sandy Alderson is also of the opinion you don't pay a player for what he's done but rather what he will do.  Zobrist will not bring nearly the return on investment that his contract demands he should. 

I don't really question Alderson's decisions at this point.  His track record has been awesome despite a relative lack of resources.  So I'm highly confident that going with Yo, even if he's here for just 1 season and nets us a compensatory 1st rounder, over Zobrist was indeed the right decision.  It's not excuses.  It was the right call. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This is probably meant to get under my skin as a Cubs fan, but it was the case of a blind squirrel finding a really young nut. You guys have to hope and pray to Jah himself that those arms don't blow up, and right now only Syndergaard seems to be holding up.

You guys really do not know how to take what originally started as a well intended compliment. No one's blaming your dolts for what ownership will or will not spend. OTOH your efforts to excuse it are hilarious and poor.

Don't tell me this fanbase, on top of clearly being insecure and developing a Napoleon complex after decades in the shadow of the Yankees, is meatheaded as a muh too? You have ******* Sandy Alderson and had Paul DePodesta in your FO! How are you people painfully unaware of this! Since 2010 Zobrist is 9th in fWAR in all of baseball. It's not the be all end all, but yeah this is one of the most valuable and best players of the 2010s.

DePodesta is with the Browns.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sandy Alderson is also of the opinion you don't pay a player for what he's done but rather what he will do.  Zobrist will not bring nearly the return on investment that his contract demands he should. 

You overestimate what $14m  a year will get you in FA. If 4/56 to a FA makes you sh*t your pants then I look forward to the reactions come Syndergaard's arb years or an extension. Man, seriously, good luck staying relevant as a franchise once those arms blow up.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

You overestimate what $14m  a year will get you in FA. If 4/56 to a FA makes you sh*t your pants then I look forward to the reactions come Syndergaard's arb years or an extension. Man, seriously, good luck staying relevant as a franchise once those arms blow up.

1.  I don't play a part in those decisions.

2.  No, I'm sure Sandy didn't "sh*t his pants".  He just recognized that 4 years/$56M spent on a 35 year old with depreciating WAR wasn't as good of a decision as giving Yo a contract.  Especially since Zobrist can't play CF.  His presence would have blocked Conforto. 

3.  Yes, we have a ton of quality arms.  Such a horrible problem to have.  We get it, those arms will eventually cost about half a billion dollars collectively.  But you can't make the assumption that not paying Zobrist automatically means we won't shell out to keep some of those arms.  It's all about resource allocation.  And Sandy has been a master at that.  Even you can't deny this.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, Ben Zobrist.  2 career All-Star game appearances and the following WAR the last 3 years:

2013:  5.2

2014:  5.0

2015:  1.8

Totally worth $14M a year till he's 38.

YES! Yes it is! That's ******* 12 WAR from ages 32-34! $14 million for 1.8 through FA is a steal and is, worst case, market value! He's already beat that salary this year! What a weeeeeeeird fanbase! You're just making me glad all the Mets' hopes are pinned on pitchers.

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

That would explain "had" instead of "has."

Are all Mets fans as touchy as you guys?

Oh I don't know, maybe saying something like this in response to a legitimate argument against signing Ben Zobrist makes one "touchy". 

Don't tell me this fanbase, on top of clearly being insecure and developing a Napoleon complex after decades in the shadow of the Yankees, is meatheaded as a muh too?

Especially since we haven't caused one iota of trouble on the Cubs thread.  I don't mind the Cubs.  Maybe you mind us for owning you in the NLCS or whatever.  But any year the Mets don't win the World Series the Cubs are who I'd prefer to see win. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

YES! Yes it is! That's ******* 12 WAR! $14 million for 1.8 through FA is a steal and is, worst case, market value! What a weeeeeeeird fanbase! You're just making me glad all the Mets' hopes are pinned on pitchers.

12 war from ages 32-34.  Hate to see what that WAR will look like from age 36-38. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  I don't play a part in those decisions.

2.  No, I'm sure Sandy didn't "sh*t his pants".  He just recognized that 4 years/$56M spent on a 35 year old with depreciating WAR wasn't as good of a decision as giving Yo a contract.  Especially since Zobrist can't play CF.  His presence would have blocked Conforto. 

3.  Yes, we have a ton of quality arms.  Such a horrible problem to have.  We get it, those arms will eventually cost about half a billion dollars collectively.  But you can't make the assumption that not paying Zobrist automatically means we won't shell out to keep some of those arms.  It's all about resource allocation.  And Sandy has been a master at that.  Even you can't deny this.

2. I was talking about you guys as far as sh*tting your pants. The Mets were Zobrist's most serious pursuer after the Cubs, wanted him bad, and lost. They had to make a call since their sh*tty ownership wouldn't splurge for both, and went with the uber popular Cespedes on a 1 year deal.

3. It's not so much the cost - I'll enjoy that too - it's that pitchers break. You've already got DeGrom off almost 3 MPH at 28 with a TJ surgery in his past and declining dominance. Matz's forearm is a thing every 15 minutes. Wheeler's already had TJ. Harvey's already had TJ and his confidence is shot. Hell, even Syndergaard just got an MRI in the past couple weeks. The Cubs went this route before, just last decade when Prior/Wood/Zambrano with Angel Guzman and a slew of other arms in the minors. It bought a handful of years.

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

2. I was talking about you guys as far as sh*tting your pants. The Mets were Zobrist's most serious pursuer after the Cubs, wanted him bad, and lost. They had to make a call since their sh*tty ownership wouldn't splurge for both, and went with the uber popular Cespedes on a 1 year deal.

3. It's not so much the cost - I'll enjoy that too - it's that pitchers break. You've already got DeGrom off almost 3 MPH at 28 with a TJ surgery in his past and declining dominance. Matz's forearm is a thing every 15 minutes. Wheeler's already had TJ. Harvey's already had TJ and his confidence is shot. Hell, even Syndergaard just got an MRI in the past couple weeks. The Cubs went this route before, just last decade when Prior/Wood/Zambrano with Angel Guzman and a slew of other arms in the minors. It bought a handful of years.

The compensatory picks soften the blow a lot.  We have two first rounders this year because of Murphy.  If Ces leaves, we'll have two in 2017 as well.  Not a bad way to replenish our young pitching, no?

Yo is super popular because he straight up rakes.  Amazing how quickly people forget how good he was the moment he donned a Mets uniform.  There's something to be said for being a really good player in NYC.  Many have tried and failed before to handle that spotlight. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh I don't know, maybe saying something like this in response to a legitimate argument against signing Ben Zobrist makes one "touchy". 

Especially since we haven't caused one iota of trouble on the Cubs thread.  I don't mind the Cubs.  Maybe you mind us for owning you in the NLCS or whatever.  But any year the Mets don't win the World Series the Cubs are who I'd prefer to see win. 

1 - What're you are you talking about? Did you even read what the comment was in reply to or are you too busy reacting? Oooooh, they so sensitive!

2 - I came in with a compliment, compliments! You're the idiots that turned it into an argument. I don't care that you don't mind the Cubs, had nothing to do with anything until you folks decided to make it so.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The compensatory picks soften the blow a lot.  We have two first rounders this year because of Murphy.  If Ces leaves, we'll have two in 2017 as well.  Not a bad way to replenish our young pitching, no?

Yo is super popular because he straight up rakes.  Amazing how quickly people forget how good he was the moment he donned a Mets uniform.  There's something to be said for being a really good player in NYC.  Many have tried and failed before to handle that spotlight. 

I mean - they have to survive probably 4 years in the minors, but if it will help you sleep. I'm aware Cespedes can and has raked, he was an absolutely necessary signing. If you guys would bother reading my posts rather than reacting to what you think is being said this wouldn't be a thing right now.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

12 war from ages 32-34.  Hate to see what that WAR will look like from age 36-38. 

For basically $14m a year, they're not even looking for 2 WAR a season. That's FA for you. When your franchise decides to truly play with the big boys rather than try and sneak in through the back door, this will be more obvious.

Ty Kelly has joined the Mets in Washington, D.C.
Kelly can play all around the diamond defensively, giving the Mets some flexibility while Lucas Duda recovers from a back injury. The 27-year-old career minor leaguer was hitting .391/.478/.548 with two home runs and two stolen bases in 35 games this season at Triple-A Buffalo. We wouldn't expect those numbers to translate.
Source: Mike Puma on TwitterMay 23 - 12:48 PM

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

It's comments about the arms blowing up is why people try and get under your skin.

Time usually has a way for answering debates pretty accurately.  Last year I think there was the debate on whether to sign Zimmerman or not in Cubs land. Time will also tell if Heyward was a good signing.  The part that you are overlooking in attempting to dis the Mets ownership and fan base is that Zobrist (long term) was not a position of need for the Mets. He wasn't for the Cubs either but they off set some cash with the Castro deal so it made sense.

The Cubs went all in this year and spent the cash. Mets fans wish they had an owner who did likewise but trust me, Ben Zobrist is not making the fan base lose any sleep.

Syndergaard named NL Player of the Week. It's a damn shame that he had a MRI which means his career is done and stuff. Womp womp.

I like the Kelly call. He's a journeyman and a vet and on paper he seems like the type of guy this locker room needs right now.

Also I hope to god I'm wrong here but I think not skipping Harvey on Wed is just dumb. Horrible stage to send him back out to after that last dumpster fire of a start. These Nats games are simply too important to be ******* around like this. Harvey has a lot to figure out and asking him to do it within the context of what are essentially playoff games is unfair to everyone involved.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

It's comments about the arms blowing up is why people try and get under your skin.

Time usually has a way for answering debates pretty accurately.  Last year I think there was the debate on whether to sign Zimmerman or not in Cubs land. Time will also tell if Heyward was a good signing.  The part that you are overlooking in attempting to dis the Mets ownership and fan base is that Zobrist (long term) was not a position of need for the Mets. He wasn't for the Cubs either but they off set some cash with the Castro deal so it made sense.

The Cubs went all in this year and spent the cash. Mets fans wish they had an owner who did likewise but trust me, Ben Zobrist is not making the fan base lose any sleep.

Wouldn't have happened if you guys could just take a compliment.

The Cubs are all in for a whole lot longer than this year. Heyward was a good signing that probably will be a great signing by the time his opt outs come up. Zobrist is already one of the big difference makers between the Cubs and the Mets this year, the Cubs' lineup depth just trounces theirs. That Mets fans aren't losing any sleep over passing on Zobrist is mostly a matter of underrating the player, overrating what you can get in FA (while underrating what it costs), and a long history with accepting mediocrity.

Archived