2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

Murphy's outlier performance in the NLDS and NLCS is clouding Ranger9's judgement as much as the Mets improbable WS run has JF80 and RJF convinced that they have a reasonable chance of returning with an offseason that is, thus far, a net negative compared to what they ended the season with.

Murphy is no bueno.

You're way off. Go back to the '15 thread, I called all of this months ago.

Bazinga!

Look, the Mets are going to be limited in FA this year. The Wilpons have like a $40 million Madoff payment coming up. I think this year drew a bunch of people back into the Mets who hadn't been paying the closest attention the past 4-5 years, so they're expecting the Mets to go all in and go for it because of their success this season. Truth of the matter is that between the Madoff sh*t and Alderson's style, that's not the Mets and that's not how we've built this team back up. Every now and then they'll make a Granderson or Bartolo move, but those are few and far between. If we spend on anything, I suspect it will be for a bullpen, where Sandy made an endless barrage of trades this year and still came up short. So expect us to be in the running for guys like O'Day or maybe even a trade like Uehara.

Do not expect Zobrist or Kendrick. The Mets want Herrera playing second. I would not get my hopes up for Rasmus either. Maaaaybe they resign Ces, but that's 50/50.

One other related problem is the Mets are stuck in a bit of limbo. They have a handful of really good prospects that are still probably a year or two away (Rosario, Smith...etc), so they have to decide how worth it it is to go after long-term deals for positions that will be filled by the end of 2017 by kids who are not only very good but that they've also invested a ton of time and money into already.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the few guys out there that makes sense, but it means you'd have to play Granderson in CF in 2017.

I gotta believe they're not counting on him to be an everyday player by then. Granderson is blessed with some killer genes and takes very good care of himself, but father time is undefeated. Even when they signed him I thought that 4th year was just a pot sweetener. He'll be what, 36? He's pretty much my age. And being the superb athlete that I am, if I can't do it neither can he.

Look, Grandy had a good year in 2015. His performance was better than his stats were. But no guarantee that he will duplicate this although I think he will. Because previous to 2015, based on his 2014 production, he was not a good signing for the Mets. Maybe with Kevin Long he was improved. Let's hope so. I like the guy personally and hope he does well. Can't say the same for all pro athletes including guys on teams I root for. Some of these guys are just jerkoffs but Grandy is a cool guy. 

Look, Grandy had a good year in 2015. His performance was better than his stats were. But no guarantee that he will duplicate this although I think he will. Because previous to 2015, based on his 2014 production, he was not a good signing for the Mets. Maybe with Kevin Long he was improved. Let's hope so. I like the guy personally and hope he does well. Can't say the same for all pro athletes including guys on teams I root for. Some of these guys are just jerkoffs but Grandy is a cool guy. 

it's almost as if you should wait to judge offseason acquisitions until they've actually played for a bit in a Mets uniform, and not declare an offseason was a failure in, say, January. 

Weird notion, right?

Sorry, somebody needs to temper the overly-optimistic bullsh*t being spewed in here.

Pretty clear I was responding to a small point he made which was incorrect. Trying to be cynically informative by extrapolating that is kind of pointless considering we're all capable of looking up basic numbers in a few seconds.

Pretty clear I was responding to a small point he made which was incorrect. Trying to be cynically informative by extrapolating that is kind of pointless considering we're all capable of looking up basic numbers in a few seconds.

I would contend that the speed in which I can search readily-available statistics is as least two standard deviations above the norm.

I'll take d'Aza because at least it's something. And a legit MLB bat but on the cheaper side. But the last time Sandy signed a FA outfielder it was Chris Young who got $7 mil for one year after a bad season in Oakland. It didn't work out. And they cut him in August. As it turns out that was even a worse decision than signing him. He came alive for the Yankees and even though we were paying him played pretty well that last 2 months of the season. Not a great front office move. 

Dude calm down. The team is way ahead of where they were last year at this time. Way ahead, and they're in good shape.

Second guessing every thing that happens is really lame. Chris Young? Lmao. C'mon man. The went to the World Series man. Didn't they they?

They're gonna be competitive. They're in the hunt...right now they're in the hunt.

What most Mets fans want is to build on the pitching staff and give them adequate weapons to last an entire season. And to have a competitive payroll, not bottom ten. And not to play cheapball and hope that the team is competitive going into the trade deadline. What we've seen so far this off season is unsatisfactory.

These first 2 pages of the 2016 thread are pathetic.  B*tching about a team that won a pennant about 85 days ago and infighting about it.  We're doing adb a disservice right now. 

The Mets have a finite window to capitalize on the fact that they're paying their top 4 starters only marginally more money (~$6.5m total, which includes projected arb number for Harvey) than they owe Carlos Beltran, Bobby Bonilla, and Bret Saberhagen this year ($5.1m), and they're blowing it.

This is the best opportunity they will have to significantly improve the team before having to pay their aces and they're wasting it.  That is what's truly pathetic.

I would even quibble with the way they spent the little money they did this offseason.  I'd rather have spent 4/$32m on O'Day than 2/$16.5m on Cabrera and would've gladly cashed in De Aza's $5.5m and Colon's $7.25 for 3 years of Span at ~$11m per and send out someone else as a 5th starter until Wheeler is ready.  They gave Lagares 5/$23m and were ready to overpay Ben Zobrist until he could get his AARP card, but heaven forbid they give out any other contracts that exceed 2 years.

I'm not sure. I am afraid to acknowledge that happened because I don't wanna be called an illiterate optimist bathing in a sea of credulous naivety again.

I root more for them to shut up the naysayers and know it alls than anything else half the time. Buying in to the negativity in the media towards them fuels a lot of it I think

It was an act of God what happened last year I guess.....cause everything about them absolutely sucks and there's idiots running the team on and off the field

I root more for them to shut up the naysayers and know it alls than anything else half the time. Buying in to the negativity in the media towards them fuels a lot of it I think

It was an act of God what happened last year I guess.....cause everything about them absolutely sucks and there's idiots running the team on and off the field

It was the same routine last year here too. I'm cool with it. People bitching on the internet didn't really have an effect on deGrom's gorgeous hair nor Thor's giant throbbing hammer.

It was the same routine last year here too. I'm cool with it. People bitching on the internet didn't really have an effect on deGrom's gorgeous hair nor Thor's giant throbbing hammer.

Or 'Tolo's chubby for that matter

It mighta effected Dark Knight's Aura tho

What most Mets fans want is to build on the pitching staff and give them adequate weapons to last an entire season. And to have a competitive payroll, not bottom ten. And not to play cheapball and hope that the team is competitive going into the trade deadline. What we've seen so far this off season is unsatisfactory.

+1

This thread IS pretty pathetic so far.  btw

2015 National League pennant winners!

Metsmerized - Proceed with caution as I have not been able to confirm this with another media outlet, but according to Rich Mancuso of NY Sports Day, formerly of the Daily News and WFAN, multiple sources have told him that not only are the Mets engaged in negotiations with Yoenis Cespedes, but the two sides may be closing in on a one or two year deal. “A source at Roc Nation, agents for Cespedes, and involved in their pro boxing division, was able to confirm that negotiations reopened late Wednesday with Cespedes and the Mets organization. And two other sources with knowledge have been able to confirm that Cespedes and the Mets are meeting with a one or two year deal on the table that is agreeable for both sides.” “The source said, “Yoenis loves New York and it has always been his thinking to work a deal there.” What was once a multi -year deal, and one that the Mets would not consider because of their payroll restrictions, is now a thing of the past.” Finally, Mancuso cites a fourth source – a high ranking baseball official – who says “the Mets may be close to re-signing Cespedes to a one or two-year deal.” The Atlanta Braves have also joined in the hunt for Cespedes along with the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles, and the Chicago White Sox. Again, no other media source has confirmed this so thread carefully. But Mancuso is a well respected veteran journalist.

Metsmerized - Proceed with caution as I have not been able to confirm this with another media outlet, but according to Rich Mancuso of NY Sports Day, formerly of the Daily News and WFAN, multiple sources have told him that not only are the Mets engaged in negotiations with Yoenis Cespedes, but the two sides may be closing in on a one or two year deal. “A source at Roc Nation, agents for Cespedes, and involved in their pro boxing division, was able to confirm that negotiations reopened late Wednesday with Cespedes and the Mets organization. And two other sources with knowledge have been able to confirm that Cespedes and the Mets are meeting with a one or two year deal on the table that is agreeable for both sides.” “The source said, “Yoenis loves New York and it has always been his thinking to work a deal there.” What was once a multi -year deal, and one that the Mets would not consider because of their payroll restrictions, is now a thing of the past.” Finally, Mancuso cites a fourth source – a high ranking baseball official – who says “the Mets may be close to re-signing Cespedes to a one or two-year deal.” The Atlanta Braves have also joined in the hunt for Cespedes along with the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles, and the Chicago White Sox. Again, no other media source has confirmed this so thread carefully. But Mancuso is a well respected veteran journalist.

Yea

It's almost as if people shouldn't have kneejerk reactions about a team's offseason until the offseason is actually over.  So weird.

ESPN just ranked us the best rotation in the league. It's a shame the season's already a wash.

Right. Who cares that they're always trying to keep the Bullpen ahead of the curve, or that the middle D is actually good this year.

Man, I wanna win the Hot Stove League

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

The Mets' likelihood of signing Yoenis Cespedes is not zero but not likely.

Even if we don't bring back Cespedes, the good news to take from this is there's still money available to grab a CF.  It's just a matter of which one of them succumbs to the lack of market interest and settles for a 2-3 year deal. 

The latest rumor has Cespy going to the Orioles, or at least they supposedly have offered him a contract. A few on this board seem to get pissed if you criticize management or don't accept the status quo being given us by the Wilpons and Sandy.Maybe they are Mets shareholders, they sure act like it. And bring up being in the WS in 2015 And say stuff like "well, what do you want!". The only reason for any of that was because they anted up money for a few bats. (and not that much) They would never have even made the playoffs without those deals Even with our starting pitching.And that's the point.. So when your outfield is basically weak offensively and all you do is sign d'Aza, There's reason for complaining. It's 2016. 

The latest rumor has Cespy going to the Orioles, or at least they supposedly have offered him a contract. A few on this board seem to get pissed if you criticize management or don't accept the status quo being given us by the Wilpons and Sandy.Maybe they are Mets shareholders, they sure act like it. And bring up being in the WS in 2015 And say stuff like "well, what do you want!". The only reason for any of that was because they anted up money for a few bats. (and not that much) They would never have even made the playoffs without those deals Even with our starting pitching.And that's the point.. So when your outfield is basically weak offensively and all you do is sign d'Aza, There's reason for complaining. It's 2016. 

They ante'd up for the bats and players when they saw fit. Not reacting to every negative, criticizing, moaning, bleat, every step of the way. If they had listened to some writers and fans they would've crashed and burned, and Casey McGehee, and every other scrub that came along would be all over our roster now. **** the Wilpons, we're good in spite of them. And we are good

Archived