adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

I don't think I've ever seen a 25 year old middle infielder as slow as Wilmer Flores.  

On 6/18/2016 at 11:45 PM, GimmeShelter said:

Flores bat has been good and a young team like the Mets doesn't need a guy who simply quit in Colorado. We all liked Reyes back in the day but that day was a long time ago. I would offer SD Wheeler and something small for Myers.

Reyes had a .688 OPS last year/Wilmer has a .688 this year.

You say Reyes quit and he did the same as a guy you say is good.  

25 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I guess it depends which version of Reyes shows up. Comparing him to Flores speaks volumes of how far he has fallen.

I'd welcome him. I just don't see him as an upgrade. The ONLY reason Mets Management is even looking at him is because it's too early for the players they really want to target to be available.

We're becoming a MASH unit with injuries so who knows. Hopefully Wheeler is just feeling scar tissue as we may need him as trade bait next month.

I'm looking at him as an upgrade anyone currently on their bench + Loney and Flores.  I don't expect that he'll steal 60+ bases or hit .330 but he's better than what they have.  Just think what do they do if Cabrera has to miss time? 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

There really isn't a spot for Reyes if they continue with Flores. We don't know for how long he'll hit for us. Some guys are just not 400-500 ab players. But he seems more consistent than that in terms of his offense. Like maybe he can hit over the long haul. His defense is acceptable he's made a few great plays and he plays hard. But Reyes comes very cheap and if he accepts a smaller role than he's had in the past I'd love to see the Mets give him a 2nd chance. To the best of our knowledge he's not an habitual wife beater. So I'm saying this not just because he might be able to help us but Jose is a home grown talent and if any team goes to bat for him it should be us. 

Reyes could be the first guy off the bench and primary backup at 3 positions.  That's plenty valuable.

• Upvote 1

Pass..... give the kids a shot.

The Mets are a now team. If they can get him they absolutely should go for it.

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What's the point of having a farm system then? Every time you have an injury you spend $50m on a 32 yr. old(?) player from Cuba.

Walker is a FA next yr( Qualifying offer 1st rd. pick) as we get ready for the Dilson Herreira era.

Cespedes may walk(Becerra '18)), Cabrera ( Rosario '18) 2017, Duda gone after 2017( Dom Smith), Wright most likely to retire (Checcini), Granderson (Nimmo) gone after 2017.

Let's get the kids some playing time and get ready for '17-'18 while we still have pitchers locked up.

This team not equipped to win now and this 32 yr. old Cuban is not the answer for the next 4-5 years.

The farm system exists to make the major league team better whether that's through promotion or trade.  The Mets don't have a 3b in the system worth discussing.  Wilmer is a replacement level player, by all accounts Gourriel is a very talented player.  2016 is by no means over and they should not act like it is.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Really not happy about any of this. It's pretty sickening to tell you the truth. Guy chokes his wife and puts her through a closet and he still gets to play. Meanwhile the rest of the league is staying away from him, but the Mets need an infielder and he played for us once upon a time, so hey, all is forgiven. What a crock.

If his wife forgives him, why you can't you? 

Just out of curiosity (and I really don't know) what was your position on Ray Rice?

37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He's a piece of sh*t and I thought it was awesome that the league blackballed him. F that guy. And pretty much the only thing that separates guys like Rice from Reyes and Chapman and Brandon Marshall is that Rice got caught on camera, so everyone gets all outraged at Rice and lets the other guys go. If you **** with women, kids, or animals, you shouldn't get to continue having the privilege of getting to play games for a living. I am aware that some view this as extreme and not everyone has this opinion. I am aware that some people don't care and want whomever is going to help them win. That's OK. I disagree and always will, and nothing anyone says to me is going to really sway that opinion. From several angles I think domestic violence is unforgivable and employment is sure as hell one of them.

Cool, at least you're consistent.  I understand your point. 

I look at it like this, there was one incident involving a shove.  Alcohol was involved, not sure if by both parties but if both were drinking a simple shove could send someone into a door.  I'm not trying to justify his actions but we really don't know the circumstances involved in the incident.

On 6/26/2016 at 2:28 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Wow!

Certainly not the Bronx Bombers.

No pitcher is trembling at the sight of that lineup.

?  

No one trembles at the site of the Bronx Bombers now.

I think you missed my point.

Weak lineup..... we need to make some moves.

I get your point that the lineup sucks, I think you just used the wrong team in your comparison.

My monthly bitch at Collins moment because I didnt bitch about him keeping Thor in the game in a blowout in the 7th a few games ago...

Last night, down 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th.  They walk Cespedes to start the inning.  I understand that put your clean up hitter at the plate, but lets be honest, under no circumstance is Flores really a clean up hitter.  So instead of bunting over Cespedes who mind you at that point was the only Met a hit in the game, they let Flores swing away. He pops out.  Cespedes stays on first.  Next up, Cabrera.  No bunt, no hit and run, nothing.  He pops out.  Cespedes on first still.  Next batter, Loney hits a single in short left. Who knows if that hit scores Cespedes to be honest but the fact that we do nothing to advance base runners in 1 run game in the bottom of the 7th, with literally 2 hits on the night all coming from Cespedes is just maddening. 

Flores can't bunt.

Terry Collins is a "forest, not the trees" type of manager, and always has been.  He's great at handling personalities and is a terrific leader for both veteran and young players alike.  They respect him and like playing for him.  Where he loses out sometimes is in the little details and situational baseball, and lest I come off as trying to wave those off, those things do matter for an MLB manager.

But I prefer the former skillset over the latter if you can only choose 1/2.  Give me a "big picture" type of manager that can handle the pressure of NY over a tactician who pisses off his players or can't handle the media/fan pressure.  If you can find someone who handles both perfectly, that would be awesome, but you usually can't find that unless you're extremely lucky.

One day TC will move on and we'll probably see Wally Backman take over.  But for now I'm cool with TC.  He is what he is and for the most part, I think his Pros outweigh the Cons.  Thus I try not to get too pissed off over individual decisions he makes, even when they're frustrating and occasionally cost us games.

Wally is never managing this team.

No idea what type of guy Kevin Long is, but if he's got the personality for the job I'd like to see the reigns go to him. What he's done the past two years is remarkable.

Are you watching the same offense that I've been watching?

On 7/6/2016 at 3:52 PM, BowlesMovement said:

Havent posted here in a while, so if its been discussed, apologies. I am having a hard time with the Reyes signing. I loved Reyes when he was here, but man, what he did is really, really bad. Really wish they did not sign him. 

You don't know what Reyes did.  None of us really do.  It could have been really awful or it could have been a simple shove because his wife was in his face hitting him and they were both drunk.  I try to look at it this way, she forgave him, so can I.  

Any Reyes haters want Wally as the manager?  

13 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

To me it's not about Walker, it's more about Wright and Duda. Wright was a huge question mark, and Murphy was always a better offensive player than Duda. 

That's not accurate.  Duda has OPSed .830 two years in a row.

Murphy .730 in 2014 and .770 in 2015.

13 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Murphy stays on the field where Duda has not. Duda up until this year has been the the better offensive player.

I completely understand your logic however in that Murphy could be playing 3rd or 1st for us right now with Flores or the kid in AAA handling 2B.

That's also not accurate.  Murphy missed 30 games last year and 15 the year before.  Neither has been overly durable.

Yes it was and there is so much going on with this team besides Murphy making his loss look worse than it otherwise would. He's not the first average player to go on a super human streak after he left...and we also don't have Bryce Harper 

it does however resolidify my disgust with saber metrics 

if anything they should have traded Harvey last year which I was openly calling for. 

What's wrong with sabermetrics?

That was a terrible emotional swing for the team last night in going from Cespedes huge blast to Familia blowing it in the ninth.

Gotta hope that the team has and shows the character to not fall into a rut after that one.  

That really was a tough loss, Familia's been playing with fire for awhile now. They were bound to get burned. At least now we don't have to hear about that streak.

Just left the stadium. We couldn't even stay for the 9th. That is one of the most brutal games I have ever been to. If the Mets lose tomorrow we should consider being sellers at the deadline. This offense has zero heart and I don't see how they're supposed to change that fast enough to catch both the Marlins and Nats, or even make a run for the WC.

What would they sell?

It's fair value but I'm not a fan of this at all. Ugh.

What part don't you like?

I'm a big Nimmo fan and have been for a few years now. Always saw him as a cornerstone player and future leader of the team. What I saw from him this year in limited time supported that. 

Ok, I saw him as a 4th outfielder. Mediocre defense, power and speed. Gets on base but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

Niese was 8-6 with Pittsburgh with a 4.91 era. I'm kind of glad to have him back. The Bruce deal is a no-brainer. Exactly what they needed offensively. They added 12-13 mil to payroll. Not that expensive considering the stats Bruce has put up this year. Good job by Sandy. 

Exactly what they needed? They have plenty of hrs and strikeouts.

The Mets better make the playoffs this year and win a ring within the next two considering what we've given up for bats over the last couple years. Face value the Bruce trade looks like complete sh*t, Zambrano/Kazmir level sh*t. I'm just going to pray to Christ that Sandy knows better than any of us and that's that. 

Shedding Bastardo's salary is fine. Had that been the only move they made today we'd all be psyched. 

I don't like it but it's not as bad as kazmir/zambrano.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I didn't know he was sitting Conforto against lefties even in the minors. Wtf. No wonder he's ******* lost against them.

He buried Cecchini in the lineup, also benched Nimmo against Lefties.  He's been with the Mets for 5 years and no one even bothered to interview him.

Read this and tell me you want Wally Backman as your manager.http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2015/07/fire-wally-backman-firewally.html

Wally was fired because he didn't kiss Sandy's ass . **** SANDY !!!! Wally is getting screwed (as per usual with the Mets) !!!!

If Wally was so great someone else would have at least interviewed him in the last five years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, JiF said:

So....go Cards, right?  

haha

It'd be nice to see either team sweep.  I don't care which one.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company