2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BowlesMovement said:

I had that feeling too, but he is just flat out awful right now. 

Yeah.  It's only May so I'm not giving up on him.  But it's hard to figure out the next course of action.  Is a DL stint for some BS reason possible?

Really didnt get Collins decision to let Harvey stay in the game in the 5th.  It was clear his confidence was rattled giving up back to back homeruns followed by a 4 pitch walk.  And then you trot him back out when everyone was hitting the ball hard the inning before?  Why?  Just why?  I know its early, but these games vs. the Nats are wayyyyyy too important.  And why keep ******* with Harvey's confidence.  He shouldnt have been starting to begin with and you leave him in there and get shelled over and over again.  It's almost like he wants him to get crushed.  He had 1 SO last night.  1.  He's hard to watch and it sucks. 

It's killing me to watch Murph go off like this.  There was that fear in the back of my mind that in a new more hitter friendly stadium that he'd blow up...never did I think like this but still.  Wow.  It's so Mets like for him to just go mental.  All that said, Walker made a play to save a run in the 2nd or 3rd, cant remember, that Murph never makes. So, that's great and it was all good when Walker was crushing it but watching him just destroy it right now is stomach turning.  Is he the NL MVP right now?  It might be between him and Yo really.

Feel bad for that Kelly kid they called up...but what poor timing.  You call a kid up to go vs. Stras (who is an Ace and I was an idiot for saying different), though he did make some nice plays at 3rd.

Really wish they'd try Conforto at 1st.  Campbell just sucks at the plate.  As is Plawecki.  OMG that dude is awful at the plate. 

///end rant

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Every time you get sentimental about Murphy's bat just remember his defense.  And also remember that thanks to him, we not only have the 18th overall pick in the draft on June 9th, but the 31st pick as well. 

What goes up must come down. It is May. The guy isn't going to hit .400 on the year. And if he does it's really hard to fault Alderson for not seeing that coming.

27 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What goes up must come down. It is May. The guy isn't going to hit .400 on the year. And if he does it's really hard to fault Alderson for not seeing that coming.

Also, re-signing Murphy would have meant no Cespedes.  I'd rather have Walker and a badass outfield than just Murphy. 

What I'm starting to see that is a little frightening and reminds me of a year ago at this time is too many below .200 hitters in the lineup at the same time. Rene Rivera just got a big hit but the guy is hitting like .100. Campbell as usual is under the Mendoza line. He's not the answer at 1st base. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

And that, folks, is why I really don't miss Daniel Murphy that much.

This team, in total, is better than the one that went to the World Series last year. Does not mean they will repeat, but the parts in total are better.

Just need a few parts to come around.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This team, in total, is better than the one that went to the World Series last year. Does not mean they will repeat, but the parts in total are better.

Just need a few parts to come around.

Agreed. The starting lineup, defense, starting pitching, and BP are all better. Just thin on the infield and that's an easily solvable problem. Once they get a decent utility IF they'll be fine. Particularly someone that can play the left side. Aside from that they have everything they need. 

The franchise is doing the smart thing with injuries. They're being extra careful with injuries so long as the ship can stay afloat. But that's the leeway that Matz and Thor provide right now. 2-3 times per week Collins can afford to pump the breaks a little bit because of those two if he wants.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, re-signing Murphy would have meant no Cespedes.  I'd rather have Walker and a badass outfield than just Murphy. 

In the end the Murphy move isn't so much about the picks or Ces, it's about Dilson. If he winds up being good then it's a good move. If not it's a bad one. All signs point to the former as of now, thank god. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

In the end the Murphy move isn't so much about the picks or Ces, it's about Dilson. If he winds up being good then it's a good move. If not it's a bad one. All signs point to the former as of now, thank god. 

I also enjoy getting Washington's first round pick this year. Use it smartly and re-stock a little.

It will be curious to see if they offer Walker this off-season. Doubt they will.

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I also enjoy getting Washington's first round pick this year. Use it smartly and re-stock a little.

It will be curious to see if they offer Walker this off-season. Doubt they will.

Not if they have to extend Yo. No chance. And if he hits another 10-15 dingers on the season I have to imagine he'll get command near what Murphy got.

There is no doubt that Neil Walker is a real good player. And 11 homers in May is so good that it's kind of hard to predict how many he'll get this season. The one drawback about not having Murphy is  that he can play 1st base. He's not bad in the field there either less erratic then he is at 2nd where one minute he makes a good play and the next he lets a ball go through his legs. I know Duda is injured but based on what we've seen this year offensively he's just too inconsistent. Wash got a real good deal when they signed Murphy for around 3/37.5.

The injuries to Flores, Duda, and d'Arnaud really shortened the bench. Thankfully Wilmer is due back soon and is probably a better defender than Murphy on the right side, or at least as good, at both 2nd and 1st, and can play SS and 3rd too. Duda is much better defensively than Murphy at 1B. 

Consider the signing of Ces, and that Duda is a proven power hitter that would get you 30 and 85, and that Dominic Smith, and Dilson Herrera are poised to play the right side down the road.  Throw in the draft picks picked up, that Sandy can get two, three players, for the price of Murphy down the road[or one that fits] and I'm one Mets fan that doesn't miss Murphy one bit.

Our middle D is much better with the addition of Walker, and Carbrera also mind you, and probably has won a few games already.

I'm not second guessing Murphy moving on ever. **** Murphy and the Nationals

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

The injuries to Flores, Duda, and d'Arnaud really shortened the bench. Thankfully Wilmer is due back soon and is probably a better defender than Murphy on the right side, or at least as good, at both 2nd and 1st, and can play SS and 3rd too. Duda is much better defensively than Murphy at 1B. 

Consider the signing of Ces, and that Duda is a proven power hitter that would get you 30 and 85, and that Dominic Smith, and Dilson Herrera are poised to play the right side down the road.  Throw in the draft picks picked up, that Sandy can get two, three players, for the price of Murphy down the road[or one that fits] and I'm one Mets fan that doesn't miss Murphy one bit.

Our middle D is much better with the addition of Walker, and Carbrera also mind you, and probably has won a few games already.

I'm not second guessing Murphy moving on ever. **** Murphy and the Nationals

Exactly.  Perfectly stated.

Unfortunately some fans will find fault even after the team taking the series with the Nationals in their house.

Sandy had an awesome off season. He'll find a Steve Pearce type of player to tide us over if Flores doesn't hit the way I think/hope he will.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Every time you get sentimental about Murphy's bat just remember his defense.  And also remember that thanks to him, we not only have the 18th overall pick in the draft on June 9th, but the 31st pick as well. 

And he's hitting at a level that we never saw before September of last year. I love him but we made the smart move.

I'll check back in on his numbers at the end of this season and next.

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

What I'm starting to see that is a little frightening and reminds me of a year ago at this time is too many below .200 hitters in the lineup at the same time. Rene Rivera just got a big hit but the guy is hitting like .100. Campbell as usual is under the Mendoza line. He's not the answer at 1st base. 

Oh no, not you again:)

13 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You're wrong, and people call you out on it, and that makes us the idiots.

Little advice for ya, if you are going to stick your neck out and make a prediction, be man enough to have someone swing the ax when you are wrong.

1415657-manhunt_axe.jpg

Archived