2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wont lie, turned the game off when the Pirates went up 2 to watch the Bball game.

Turned it back on very quickly when I realized that this is the worst NBA Finals in the history of the sport.

Also was very upset with Collins decision to sit Kelly for Flores.  Which is why I'm not a manager.  

19 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Syndergaard vs Taillon better be as interesting as it might be.

Mets getting Rutheford would be a potential coup. He was much higher ranked going in. Craig can mash, but I find Lauer a little boring. Mets have shown a willingness to think outside the box in the draft - Harvey and Matz were not popular draft day picks - and I really want some team to take the dive on HS OF Avery Tuck or LHSP Kyle Mullen in the first. Seems like the Mets are set up to have an outstanding draft this year THO.

I do not understand how scouts can project even the top HS talent in baseball.

My son plays baseball at the most competitive travel ball levels (perfect game, showcase baseball, state teams). He is only a sophomore, so I can understand how much more difficult that is to project, but we get to watch the 18u teams play and it is still difficult. Sure, you can see the difference makers, and talent does stand out-but, to be able to project that is a whole other thing.

Baseball evaluation is such a difficult thing and you cannot take everything into account. It is no wonder there is such a wash-out rate.

I would much rather take the college talent, where I can get a much better view of what the kid can be.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I do not understand how scouts can project even the top HS talent in baseball.

My son plays baseball at the most competitive travel ball levels (perfect game, showcase baseball, state teams). He is only a sophomore, so I can understand how much more difficult that is to project, but we get to watch the 18u teams play and it is still difficult. Sure, you can see the difference makers, and talent does stand out-but, to be able to project that is a whole other thing.

Baseball evaluation is such a difficult thing and you cannot take everything into account. It is no wonder there is such a wash-out rate.

I would much rather take the college talent, where I can get a much better view of what the kid can be.

It's a roll of the dice for sure, and HS players have the additional risk of being more expensive, as they can always "threaten" to go to school rather than sign if you don't pay up.  Every team has a different philosophy on where they allocate their resources:  Cheaper, "safer" college talent that might have a more limited upside, or the hotshot HS kids who have immense potential and plenty of time to spend in the farm system. 

The numbers indicate that teams are opting to draft college players at an increasing rate.  Only about 30-35 % of players drafted tend to come from the HS ranks, when it was closer to 50/50 years ago.  Another trend shows that HS kids drafted in the later rounds are choosing to go to college more often than they used to.  Those factors are tied together.  As more kids choose to go to school, the college baseball product is getting better, and the percentage of college players taken in the draft will continue to increase.

Also, you can thank Grandy for being an inspiration to some of those HS kids to go to college.  Grandy managed to find a way to earn his business degree from Illinois-Chicago while he was in the minor leagues, and also wants to go to grad school at the University of Chicago.  He gets asked about that all the time by players who wonder how he was able to manage his time like that.

Currently only about 4 % of MLB players actually have degrees, but you may start to see that number increase as well.  Gotta have a Plan B in life.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, you can thank Grandy for being an inspiration to some of those HS kids to go to college.  Grandy managed to find a way to earn his business degree from Illinois-Chicago while he was in the minor leagues, and also wants to go to grad school at the University of Chicago.  He gets asked about that all the time by players who wonder how he was able to manage his time like that.

Currently only about 4 % of MLB players actually have degrees, but you may start to see that number increase as well.  Gotta have a Plan B in life.

The man is Chicago through and through and has given more money to this city than most of us will see in a lifetime, and Cubs fans still booed him at Wrigley last year. And everyone knows damn well who he is here. Most classless fanbase in MLB.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The man is Chicago through and through and has given more money to this city than most of us will see in a lifetime, and Cubs fans still booed him at Wrigley last year. And everyone knows damn well who he is here. Most classless fanbase in MLB.

Oh now you've done it!  SenorGato is about to give the lecture of his life about how Mets culture is terrible and Cubs culture is the best.  Be ready.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh now you've done it!  SenorGato is about to give the lecture of his life about how Mets culture is terrible and Cubs culture is the best.  Be ready.

From a guy that's probably never spent more than a few hours (if that) in the sweltering bro sh*thole that is Wrigleyville. They're Philly fans in disguise. Worst of the worst was watching a mother with her daughters get beer poured on them during the NLCS last year while surrounding people did nothing. That's not even counting the amount of times you have to deal with Kyle and Todd from Naperville getting beer muscles after a few Old Styles.

The nice thing about rocking Mets gear in this town is getting high fives from half its residents walking around because it's pretty common knowledge that lovable losers they are not. This is the fanbase that surrounded a guy's home and threatened his life because he interfered with a foul ball. They deserve everything they have had happen to them. And if they ever do win anything, I take solace in knowing that half the town won't give a ****.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

From a guy that's probably never spent more than a few hours (if that) in the sweltering bro sh*thole that is Wrigleyville. They're Philly fans in disguise. Worst of the worst was watching a mother with her daughters get beer poured on them during the NLCS last year while surrounding people did nothing. That's not even counting the amount of times you have to deal with Kyle and Todd from Naperville getting beer muscles after a few Old Styles.

The nice thing about rocking Mets gear in this town is getting high fives from half its residents walking around because it's pretty common knowledge that lovable losers they are not. This is the fanbase that surrounded a guy's home and threatened his life because he interfered with a foul ball. They deserve everything they have had happen to them. And if they ever do win anything, I take solace in knowing that half the town won't give a ****.

Sounds like you are in the Chicago area.  You ever get over to Racine Plumbing in Lincoln Park with the other Chicago Met fans to watch the games?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, Cubs fans legitimately are a miserable, miserable bunch. The franchise finally has something going and still all you hear is whines about the umpires and this is stupid and that stinks and so on so forth. They're every bit as whiny and bratty as they claim Cards fans are, and maybe marginally more skilled at keeping their racism on the dl.

I don't appreciate having words put into my mouth, never did I say Cubs FAN culture is anything worthwhile, but I do appreciate an opportunity to vent a little on that. I also appreciate your beta butt still being hurt like a month later.

51 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like you are in the Chicago area.  You ever get over to Racine Plumbing in Lincoln Park with the other Chicago Met fans to watch the games?

It's funny, the rare times I get the urge to check that place out, they have something else going on like a Notre Dame game or something. 

I'm not much of a bar guy for baseball anyways. For me baseball is meant to be watched on my porch while I'm yelling at my dog to stop barking at squirrels. Plus I have season tickets back in Flushing so if I am going to stray from the house for games it's usually for a visit back east.

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's funny, the rare times I get the urge to check that place out, they have something else going on like a Notre Dame game or something. 

I'm not much of a bar guy for baseball anyways. For me baseball is meant to be watched on my porch while I'm yelling at my dog to stop barking at squirrels. Plus I have season tickets back in Flushing so if I am going to stray from the house for games it's usually for a visit back east.

I started going there during the postseason last year and have been to a couple of the game watches they have hosted for us this season.  We have a group of 50+ heading to Wrigley next month -- its a good group.  If you get a chance, check it out sometime.  Lot of Met fans in the Chicago area,

I am heading up to Milwaukee for the game tonight and then a bunch of us are heading up with the 7 Line Army on Saturday.  If you watch the game tonight, I will be the guy in the Mets cap sitting in the front row behind the plate.

Lets Go Mets!!!

On June 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM, faba said:

Kelly Johnson was a no brainer to pick up- very disturbing on how lack of hitting is ruining us again this year so far- washington is not imploding this year we need to be better

Kind of funny that he was acquired two years in a row...

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

I started going there during the postseason last year and have been to a couple of the game watches they have hosted for us this season.  We have a group of 50+ heading to Wrigley next month -- its a good group.  If you get a chance, check it out sometime.  Lot of Met fans in the Chicago area,

I am heading up to Milwaukee for the game tonight and then a bunch of us are heading up with the 7 Line Army on Saturday.  If you watch the game tonight, I will be the guy in the Mets cap sitting in the front row behind the plate.

Lets Go Mets!!!

I almost got in on that 7line trip but laziness intervened. I'll be heading to all 3 games at Wrigley next month, I'm usually there every time the Mets are in town. And yeah, we usually have a good showing at Wrigley. The only thing that sucks this time around is that all three games are going to be packed, even the Wednesday game. It's a 2pm game but it's ******* Arrieta bobblehead day.

Here's the reality of things regarding the draft:

- Cecchini, Dilson, Smith, Nimmo, and TJ are all murdering the minors right now. So I think that quelled any need of picking infielders or panicking that we need college graduated bats right away.

- We are in the thick of an era where power pitching rules the roost and that is not changing any time soon. Good pitching prospects are straight up hard currency. And like we saw with the Cespedes trade, you can be thin on offense in the minors so long as you've always got pitching developing. And there is no better organization in baseball right now at developing pitching that us. It's what we do. So stick with what works.

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Here's the reality of things regarding the draft:

- Cecchini, Dilson, Smith, Nimmo, and TJ are all murdering the minors right now. So I think that quelled any need of picking infielders or panicking that we need college graduated bats right away.

- We are in the thick of an era where power pitching rules the roost and that is not changing any time soon. Good pitching prospects are straight up hard currency. And like we saw with the Cespedes trade, you can be thin on offense in the minors so long as you've always got pitching developing. And there is no better organization in baseball right now at developing pitching that us. It's what we do. So stick with what works.

Good call.  While teams like the Cubs and Pirates keep drafting hitters early....we'll keep taking pitchers.  Because why not. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good call.  While teams like the Cubs and Pirates keep drafting hitters early....we'll keep taking pitchers.  Because why not. 

Definitely. Like Scott was saying the other day, draft picks in baseball are such a crapshoot, if we're insanely good at one thing, stick with it, because that one thing is the thing that's in highest demand right now and it's so easy to trade pitching for hitting in the era we're in. Also worth noting that we haven't selected a pitcher in the first in 5 years, so it was time anyways.

Sandy is saying they went with Dunn because he was the highest ranked player on the board and they didn't expect him to be there, hence hinting why they didn't select Craig, but I'm hoping one of the beat reporters will be savvy enough to ask if Rivera had anything to do with that as well.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also worth noting that we haven't selected a pitcher in the first in 5 years, so it was time anyways.

As a UNCW alum and Mets fan, I'm still haunted by the fact that the Brad Holt pick (2008 first round compensatory) didn't pan out. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Finish up our night taking Peter Alonso, 1B, Florida.  Love the pick.

Know who else probably loves it?  @JiF.  Thoughts, JiF?

Great kid, leader in the club house, had some unfortunate injuries through his career but the kid is just a solid baseball player.   He's been the most consistent bat in the lineup since he arrived.  He doesnt do anything great other than he's got a great eye and can work the count like a champ but nothing pops out when watching him.  He kind of reminds me of Murphy from that sense. 

I read an article that said something like, if the Cardinals drafted him, they'd make him an all-star because he does everything well, but nothing great.  Thought that was interesting. 

Mets OF prospect Brandon Nimmo belted two homers in Thursday's win for Triple-A Las Vegas.
He matched a season-high with four RBI. Nimmo has been on absolute tear. Over his last five games, he's hit .524 with eight RBI and five extra-base hits. He's raised his average from .301 to .325 during that span. Nimmo is tied for 10th in the Pacific Coast League with 15 doubles and also ranks 11th with a .403 on base percentage. This might be the year the 2011 first-round pick finally makes his big league debut.
Source: MILB.com

Mets SS prospect Amed Rosario smashed four hits Thursday in a win for High-A St. Lucie.
All of his hits were singles. It was Rosario's third career four-hit game. The 20-year-old owns the Florida State League's fourth-highest average (.310) and is also fourth in RBI with 33. Rosario has been active on the base paths as well with 12 steals on 18 attempts this season, good for second on the team and 10th in the FSL. He's 73rd overall in MLB.com's most recent prospect rankings.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets OF prospect Brandon Nimmo belted two homers in Thursday's win for Triple-A Las Vegas.
He matched a season-high with four RBI. Nimmo has been on absolute tear. Over his last five games, he's hit .524 with eight RBI and five extra-base hits. He's raised his average from .301 to .325 during that span. Nimmo is tied for 10th in the Pacific Coast League with 15 doubles and also ranks 11th with a .403 on base percentage. This might be the year the 2011 first-round pick finally makes his big league debut.

Mets SS prospect Amed Rosario smashed four hits Thursday in a win for High-A St. Lucie.
All of his hits were singles. It was Rosario's third career four-hit game. The 20-year-old owns the Florida State League's fourth-highest average (.310) and is also fourth in RBI with 33. Rosario has been active on the base paths as well with 12 steals on 18 attempts this season, good for second on the team and 10th in the FSL. He's 73rd overall in MLB.com's most recent prospect rankings.

Cecchini is raking too. If Cabrera has to miss any time, he is making a pretty great case for a call-up.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cecchini is raking too. If Cabrera has to miss any time, he is making a pretty great case for a call-up.

And Herrera. If 2 out of 4 of these guys can be solid major leaguers, that would help a lot.

I get the feeling that Cecchini is going to be nothing but a utility player at best. Important, but not what you would hope for a first round kid.

Alderson's original drafts make me think that even he was caught by surprise of the quick ascension of the pitchers. 

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And Herrera. If 2 out of 4 of these guys can be solid major leaguers, that would help a lot.

I get the feeling that Cecchini is going too be nothing but a utility player at best. Important, but not what you would hope for a first round kid.

Alderson's original drafts make me think that even he was caught by surprise of the quick ascension of the pitchers. 

Just let me hold on to hope on him, I'm not ready to deal with passing on Seager for him just yet.

Archived