2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, no psls said:

It's Happy Harvey Day ! It's Happy Harvey Day ! But , what if the Brewers kick his ass .......

images.jpg

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You really need to try and find some other schtick that isn't funny

No no, he needs to stay consistent with this. If he stops now Harvey might start losing again. He's dealing with forces much larger than any of us.

Keep up the good work.

On 6/9/2016 at 9:11 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Here's the reality of things regarding the draft:

- Cecchini, Dilson, Smith, Nimmo, and TJ are all murdering the minors right now. So I think that quelled any need of picking infielders or panicking that we need college graduated bats right away.

- We are in the thick of an era where power pitching rules the roost and that is not changing any time soon. Good pitching prospects are straight up hard currency. And like we saw with the Cespedes trade, you can be thin on offense in the minors so long as you've always got pitching developing. And there is no better organization in baseball right now at developing pitching that us. It's what we do. So stick with what works.

You can never have enough pitching.  You can never have enough cheap pitching.  Come playoffs, pitching rules.  A starting prospect who isn't good sometimes makes a great bullpen arm (Betances and Miller). 

I would never fault a team for drafting too much pitching.  Plus, the injury rate is so high, you just can not have too much, and like you said, it's such a commodity, it's easy to trade to fill other holes.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No no, he needs to stay consistent with this. If he stops now Harvey might start losing again. He's dealing with forces much larger than any of us.

Keep up the good work.

Superstitious are we ...

stock-photo-photo-of-woman-foretelling-future-from-crystal-ball-295939409.jpg

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Travis d'Arnaud will catch for the first time on his rehab assignment when Class A St. Lucie plays on Saturday night at Dunedin. This is the seventh day of what will be a maximum 20-day stint in the minors, so d'Arnaud is creeping closer to a return. He landed on the disabled list April 26 with a strained rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. D'Arnaud served as the DH for the first four games with St. Lucie. He is 4-for-18 with two RBIs, a steal and four walks with the Florida State League club.

1 hour ago, faba said:

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Travis d'Arnaud will catch for the first time on his rehab assignment when Class A St. Lucie plays on Saturday night at Dunedin. This is the seventh day of what will be a maximum 20-day stint in the minors, so d'Arnaud is creeping closer to a return. He landed on the disabled list April 26 with a strained rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. D'Arnaud served as the DH for the first four games with St. Lucie. He is 4-for-18 with two RBIs, a steal and four walks with the Florida State League club.

I wonder if they'll send Plawecki down instead of Rivera.

21 minutes ago, no psls said:

Does it really matter ?

Yes. Rivera is a better defensive catcher in every way right now.

I understand they may want to try and keep getting Plawecki on track so he can settle down and contribute offensively. I hope they let him do that in Vegas

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

You can never have enough pitching.  You can never have enough cheap pitching.  Come playoffs, pitching rules.  A starting prospect who isn't good sometimes makes a great bullpen arm (Betances and Miller). 

I would never fault a team for drafting too much pitching.  Plus, the injury rate is so high, you just can not have too much, and like you said, it's such a commodity, it's easy to trade to fill other holes.

This....unless you're a certain Cubs fan.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Past two games have been brutal. But on the plus side, there's been a chick with giant boobs sitting right behind home plate so that's been nice.

Front Row Amy is center of attention at Brewers games
Amy Williams keeps score at the Brewers games she attends.
Amy Williams keeps score at the Brewers games she attends. Credit: Rick Wood
    Jim Stingl

If you watch the Brewers on TV, you've seen Amy Williams.

There's the windup, there's the pitch, and there's Amy by herself in the front row behind home plate at Miller Park at most home games. That's her right above the dot-com in the Brewers ad to the left of the umpire.

She says she loves the Brewers and swears she never set out to be noticed. Men being what we are, it just happened. Sports radio started talking about this striking brunet last season, and then sports website Deadspin wrote about her.

"After that, things kind of went crazy," she said.

Front Row Amy was born. Now she has a Facebook page with that name that has more than 12,000 fans, and another 8,000 followers chat with her on Twitter @BrewerGirl823.

Last month, a guy dressed like Amy with a black wig, stuffed-in breasts and cleavage lines painted on his chest sat in her seat at one of the games she skipped. That spawned his own Front Row Andy page on Facebook.

"I thought that was funny," Amy said. She eventually met Andy and posed for a photo with him.

It's surprising, to me at least, to learn this sudden celebrity is a wife and mother of three - a son, 12, and daughters, 9 and 7 - and that she drives to and from each game from her home in Oshkosh, where she works with her husband of 18 years, Russ, in a property management business.

"He is so supportive and so nice. He takes care of the kids when I come to the games," she said.

Amy never cared about baseball until she discovered the Brewers during the 2007 season. She found that going to games made her feel like she was part of something big, and she learned that she enjoyed it most when she went alone.

"It was like an escape. I could sit here and keep score and not have to talk to anybody. I could get absorbed in the game," she said.

My interview with Amy at her primo seat before Monday's game was interrupted repeatedly by guys wanting their picture taken with her. Dressed in Daisy Duke shorts and an off-the-shoulders white top, she happily posed with each one, including half a dozen members of the state champion Sun Prairie Cardinals high school baseball team. They were honored near home plate before the game, and then they headed right for Amy.

Never mind that she's old enough to be their mother. In TV land, the camera in center field that shows each pitch softens her 43 years and bathes Amy in deep-tan hotness that obviously works even on teenage boys, not to mention middle-age guys I know who can't stop talking about her.

"Men are men. They are attracted to the looks thing," Amy said when I asked if she's flirting with us via mass media. "But a lot of people are fans of me because they can see how much I love baseball."

ADVERTISING

Ok Mets have same problem as not having the team that can poroduce runs unless they hit homeruns. That plus injuries are deleting the depth and strength of team, Wash is much better and not underperforming so far so we need to step it up

Herrera should get called up and play to see if he can spark this team somewhat.  

2 hours ago, faba said:

Ok Mets have same problem as not having the team that can poroduce runs unless they hit homeruns. That plus injuries are deleting the depth and strength of team, Wash is much better and not underperforming so far so we need to step it up

Herrera should get called up and play to see if he can spark this team somewhat.  

We all saw this coming.  You cant be a consistent winner if you only rely on homeruns to score.  

The worst part is, the Mets have zero ability under Collins to play small ball.  I get they might not have the best line up to do it, but they dont even try.   Which I just dont get when you're this bad at the plate.  You have to try and manufacture runs.  You have to and they had chances yesterday.  

Couple that with fielding woes going on (and Murph making great plays in the field) and I wanted to throw my TV from the balcony yesterday.  It was the ugliest game of baseball I've ever witnessed.  

5 hours ago, faba said:

They were short 5 starters for this past series. I don't know how much there is to take from this.

This is literally the exact situation the Mets were in last year. Identical. Injury plague, offense struggling...etc. I don't think it's chicken little time so long as they are staying afloat and within arm's distance of Washington. If they go on a heavy losing streak, that's much different, but so long as they're playing .500 ball through the break they should just get healthy and tool up for an August run like they did last year. Stick with what works.

I completely agree on Dilson but this is a bit of an unfair situation to stick him in right now. They are definitely going to bring him up and shift Walker to third (already been confirmed), but the Mets should wait until they get a little healthier to do that.

Nimmo named to MLB's prospect team of the week. I am wondering if anyone else has done more this year to deserve a call-up right now than him. Including Dilson. Problem is the Mets' OF is already crowded. 

Really wouldn't be shocked at all if they move De Aza or Lagares at the deadline and call up the kid. He's ready.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

We all saw this coming.  You cant be a consistent winner if you only rely on homeruns to score.  

The worst part is, the Mets have zero ability under Collins to play small ball.  I get they might not have the best line up to do it, but they dont even try.   Which I just dont get when you're this bad at the plate.  You have to try and manufacture runs.  You have to and they had chances yesterday.  

Couple that with fielding woes going on (and Murph making great plays in the field) and I wanted to throw my TV from the balcony yesterday.  It was the ugliest game of baseball I've ever witnessed.  

We're missing a big portion of our line-up and Conforto has hit his first major slump.  Kelly Johnson and Loney were OK starts to trying to put a band-aid on things. Would like to see guys like Steve Pearce and maybe Prado added to the mix down the road.  When healthy, this is a better line-up than the one that led the NL in most categories after the Cespedes trade last year.  To me getting our old friend Harvey back in form makes the injuries and offensive woes bearable as I trust in Sandy to make the appropriate moves to resolve things.

Hang around, add some pieces if need be, get healthy and unleash the young stud SP's in the post season again.

Conforto sprained cartilage in wrist. Hopefully with a cortisone shot will only miss a few days.

Wright contemplating neck surgery vs rehab. Need Flores to hit or Sandy will have to start exploring the trade market for a 3rd Baseman with some pop.

Wheeler starting rehab assignment soon and expected back with the big club right after the All-Star break..

Travis due back on Tuesday.

Walker nicked up.

No word on Duda.

Thank our lucky stars that the young arms have stayed healthy so far and kept us in contention.

There are perfectly reasonable explanations as to why this team is struggling right now. They make sense, and any reasonable baseball fan can accept that it's probably temporary and sometimes things like this happen in a baseball season.

But good lord, they are just brutal to watch right now. i might have to take a break for a few games.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There are perfectly reasonable explanations as to why this team is struggling right now. They make sense, and any reasonable baseball fan can accept that it's probably temporary and sometimes things like this happen in a baseball season.

But good lord, they are just brutal to watch right now. i might have to take a break for a few games.

Brutal is the lightest word right now. You have to wonder when Kevin Long possibly starts feeling heat.

On the broadcast last night, it was stated flat out that they believe Nimmo is about ready to come up. 

Rutgers called that better than I did, as I thought he would need more seasoning. 

Holy ****.  The Pirates absolutely own us.  It's disgusting.  deGrom had probably his best outing of the season and made one mistake.  Meanwhile, this line up might be worse than last years at this point and I didnt think that was possible.  I legit thought I was watching a no-hitter taking place last night.

I wouldn't mind looking into Jay Bruce's availability now that Conforto has the wrist issue and also as insurance incase he stays in his current funk. Brandon Moss is another guy with big time pop who could help both at 1st and in the OF. Probably not available with the Cards playing well again.

3 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I wouldn't mind looking into Jay Bruce's availability now that Conforto has the wrist issue and also as insurance incase he stays in his current funk. Brandon Moss is another guy with big time pop who could help both at 1st and in the OF. Probably not available with the Cards playing well again.

The Mets aren't trading for Jay Bruce.  He doesn't fit them at all.  Moss makes more sense but probably isn't available.  

They should sign Reyes now that he's been DFA'd.

Well the night they do not need all the runs with Noah pitching they get them- hah

Kelly johnson smart pickup again by sandy to play multiple positions and give some pop

Maybe Wilmer can keep up his hitting to compensate for fielding-hah

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wright has elected surgery for his neck, so that essentially takes him out for this season. Probably time for the guy to call it a career. 

Prince Fielder had same surgery, missed a full year, had a good half a season, and now is worthless with pain into his arm and weakness.

Not a Met fan, but Wright is a class guy, and I don't like seeing anyone hurt like this.  For the Mets, it is better financially if he is unable to play as they get insurance money to cover a lot of his cost, rather than paying full price for a guy who can't play.

Archived