2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they played gutty ball this week considering all the injuries. Reed just failed to hold what looked to be another Harvey win.

Stuff happens....Nats lost 5 in a row....Team dynasty (Cubbies) 4 in a row.

This team is capable of winning it all this year once a bat is added....just like last year and that will always be the case anytime you can trot out the SP's that we can.

Now if we get swept by the Braves again.... maybe we have a problem.^_^

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Terry Collins acknowledged he's already discussed with his staff how the Mets would use Jose Reyes assuming he lands with the Mets. Reyes will become a free agent on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Really not happy about any of this. It's pretty sickening to tell you the truth. Guy chokes his wife and puts her through a closet and he still gets to play. Meanwhile the rest of the league is staying away from him, but the Mets need an infielder and he played for us once upon a time, so hey, all is forgiven. What a crock.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Really not happy about any of this. It's pretty sickening to tell you the truth. Guy chokes his wife and puts her through a closet and he still gets to play. Meanwhile the rest of the league is staying away from him, but the Mets need an infielder and he played for us once upon a time, so hey, all is forgiven. What a crock.

Every other team signs criminals ; why not ours ?

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What's the point of having a farm system then? Every time you have an injury you spend $50m on a 32 yr. old(?) player from Cuba.

Walker is a FA next yr( Qualifying offer 1st rd. pick) as we get ready for the Dilson Herreira era.

Cespedes may walk(Becerra '18)), Cabrera ( Rosario '18) 2017, Duda gone after 2017( Dom Smith), Wright most likely to retire (Checcini), Granderson (Nimmo) gone after 2017.

Let's get the kids some playing time and get ready for '17-'18 while we still have pitchers locked up.

This team not equipped to win now and this 32 yr. old Cuban is not the answer for the next 4-5 years.

The farm system exists to make the major league team better whether that's through promotion or trade.  The Mets don't have a 3b in the system worth discussing.  Wilmer is a replacement level player, by all accounts Gourriel is a very talented player.  2016 is by no means over and they should not act like it is.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If his wife forgives him, why you can't you? 

Just out of curiosity (and I really don't know) what was your position on Ray Rice?

53 minutes ago, adb280z said:

If his wife forgives him, why you can't you? 

Just out of curiosity (and I really don't know) what was your position on Ray Rice?

He's a piece of sh*t and I thought it was awesome that the league blackballed him. F that guy. And pretty much the only thing that separates guys like Rice from Reyes and Chapman and Brandon Marshall is that Rice got caught on camera, so everyone gets all outraged at Rice and lets the other guys go. If you **** with women, kids, or animals, you shouldn't get to continue having the privilege of getting to play games for a living. I am aware that some view this as extreme and not everyone has this opinion. I am aware that some people don't care and want whomever is going to help them win. That's OK. I disagree and always will, and nothing anyone says to me is going to really sway that opinion. From several angles I think domestic violence is unforgivable and employment is sure as hell one of them.

37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He's a piece of sh*t and I thought it was awesome that the league blackballed him. F that guy. And pretty much the only thing that separates guys like Rice from Reyes and Chapman and Brandon Marshall is that Rice got caught on camera, so everyone gets all outraged at Rice and lets the other guys go. If you **** with women, kids, or animals, you shouldn't get to continue having the privilege of getting to play games for a living. I am aware that some view this as extreme and not everyone has this opinion. I am aware that some people don't care and want whomever is going to help them win. That's OK. I disagree and always will, and nothing anyone says to me is going to really sway that opinion. From several angles I think domestic violence is unforgivable and employment is sure as hell one of them.

Cool, at least you're consistent.  I understand your point. 

I look at it like this, there was one incident involving a shove.  Alcohol was involved, not sure if by both parties but if both were drinking a simple shove could send someone into a door.  I'm not trying to justify his actions but we really don't know the circumstances involved in the incident.

Ok thankfully bullpen shut them down last night to lose a 8 to 0 lead to braves after losing 4 straight to them- would have been beyond brutal

looks like Jose will be utility all around the infield- the only place he has a chance to succeed would be back with the Mets

The Mets are expected to call up prospect outfielder Brandon Nimmo on Saturday.

He's set to replace Michael Conforto, who will reportedly be demoted. The Mets' first-round pick from 2011, Nimmo has put himself back on the prospect map this season by batting .328/.409/.508 with five home runs, 37 RBI, and five stolen bases over 63 games this season in Triple-A. Of course, those numbers are in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, so they have to be taken with a grain of salt, but he figures to see plenty of playing time in the Mets' oufielder now that Conforto is headed to the minors. 

Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the Mets are demoting outfielder Michael Conforto.

The Mets are expected to call up prospect outfielder Brandon Nimmo take his place on the roster. Conforto hit .365 in April, but he's batting just .148/.217/.303 in 44 games since and has also dealt with a wrist injury. The Mets still have very high hopes for him in the long-term, but he'll try to get back on track in the minors.

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Statement from Sandy Alderson: "We made the decision to offer a contract to Jose after extensive consideration and discussion with Jose, his representatives, Major League Baseball and various departments at the Mets. We are convinced that Jose has accepted responsibility for his actions and their consequences and have confirmed he is taking steps beyond those prescribed by MLB, including ongoing counseling. Accordingly, we believe he deserves a second chance to return to our organization."

Another gutty W last night with Kelly Johnson providing the difference.

Two games behind the Nats who suddenly cannot buy a win. Pretty much the same record and place in the division as we were this time last season.

Terry says Reyes will hit lead-off once up with the big club.   In addition to the speed Jose can provide, sliding Granderson down to the middle of the line-up possibly ignites his dormant bat. Both items, if successful, would make a huge difference in the offense.

Big week ahead for the team with three on the road against the Nats, losers of 7 straight, before returning home for four against the Cubs who after a 4 game winning streak to start the month have been pretty much a pedestrian under .500 club while dealing with their own injuries.

Sat-Sun match-ups should be good ones with Thor and Harvey targeted to face Lester and Arrieta.

Tt is the same issue lack of professinal hitters in the lineup dependent on home runs to score The grace is the Mets value pitching which can keep them competitive with the arms they have Wheeler is back to throwing today

1 minute ago, faba said:

Tt is the same issue lack of professinal hitters in the lineup dependent on home runs to score The grace is the Mets value pitching which can keep them competitive with the arms they have Wheeler is back to throwing today

The bullpen, which was arguably the biggest strength of the team for the first two months of the season, has not been as reliable this month as well.

I am looking forward to this month being over. Perhaps I should be careful with what I wish for, but June has not been this team's month and it wasn't last year either. Thank god the Nats came back down to earth because they blew an opportunity to really create a gap in the division.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The bullpen, which was arguably the biggest strength of the team for the first two months of the season, has not been as reliable this month as well.

I am looking forward to this month being over. Perhaps I should be careful with what I wish for, but June has not been this team's month and it wasn't last year either. Thank god the Nats came back down to earth because they blew an opportunity to really create a gap in the division.

Bastardo has been a lousy acquisition for the money 

2 minutes ago, faba said:

Bastardo has been a lousy acquisition for the money 

I am wondering if he should just give up on trying to throw that changeup. He was never a guy that threw it in the past, then he tried working it in this season and now he doesn't know what to do with it. I understand that pitchers want to save their arms but you have to stick with what's working.

Eddie MatzESPN Senior Writer 

matz_eddie_m.jpg

Nats skipper Dusty Baker just announced that Lucas Giolito, baseball's top pitching prospect, will be called up from Double-A Harrisburg to make his big league debut on Tuesday against the Mets. When asked if he was excited to see what Giloito can do, Baker said: "No. He's a prospect. Do you know how many prospects I've seen?"

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wouldnt hate it.  He'd have the best batting avg. on the team and he plays SS too.

Would have been nice to have kept Uribe who has gone nuts with the long ball of late. Escobar is a nice player though and has refound his stroke the past two seasons. I like his ability as you noted to handle SS as well.

Archived