2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

The latest rumor has Cespy going to the Orioles, or at least they supposedly have offered him a contract. A few on this board seem to get pissed if you criticize management or don't accept the status quo being given us by the Wilpons and Sandy.Maybe they are Mets shareholders, they sure act like it.

Yes. That's it. We're pissed. How dare you. Now if you'll excuse me I have my Fred Wilpon blanket to finish knitting.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just see what other teams are doing. Including teams that regularly make the playoffs and  win World Series. What was the Mets record playing cheapball before 2015 when their starting pitching and relief pitching kicked in.  And why do we always have to be on the short end of contracts. Low ball one year deals or half year rentals. What's wrong with criticizing. I thought this was supposed to be the hot stove league. We could be lucky and get in again but imo the 115 isn't going to do it. The 25 we have without a power bat will not fully support the starting pitching. We saw that in 2015.

If Ces is sitting on that Baltimore offer right now they have to be going back to the Mets and begging for something in a similar ballpark. That dude wants to play in New York bad. There are like 5 Cubans in all of Baltimore, no way he really wants to play there.

Hope you're right. He'd be a God in the NYC latin community.

Cespy may have a wart that some people see, I couldn't give a ****

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

The Mets have settled with three of their nine arbitration-eligible players. Addison Reed receives $5.3 million in his final season before free agency. First-time arbitration eligible relievers Carlos Torres ($1.05 million) and Josh Edgin ($625,000) also settled. Still unresolved: Matt Harvey, Lucas Duda, Neil Walker, Jeurys Familia, Ruben Tejada and Jenrry Mejia.

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

The Mets have settled with three of their nine arbitration-eligible players. Addison Reed receives $5.3 million in his final season before free agency. First-time arbitration eligible relievers Carlos Torres ($1.05 million) and Josh Edgin ($625,000) also settled. Still unresolved: Matt Harvey, Lucas Duda, Neil Walker, Jeurys Familia, Ruben Tejada and Jenrry Mejia.

Mets have settled with Harvey also. 4.35M

Smith and Cecchini invited to spring training. I'm excited to see what Smith can do, I think he'll definitely be up in 2017 but if he can pull some sh*t off in Binghamton I could definitely see Alderson bringing him up. Particularly during interleague play when they could just DH Duda.

T.J Rivera getting an invite intrigues me too. Word has been for a while that they're high on him being a utility guy, so I guess this is his first shot.

I wonder if Nimmo is somebody Sandy is considering as a significant contributor, or in the equation in the OF. He  seems like a decent player that does a lot of things okay, not great at anything particular tho

I wonder if Nimmo is somebody Sandy is considering as a significant contributor, or in the equation in the OF. He  seems like a decent player that does a lot of things okay, not great at anything particular tho

I think Nimmo is the reason they have been hesitant to invest long term in any center fielders. Gives them an extra year to decide if Nimmo is the real deal, because it seems like they're still not 100% sure. We'll get someone, it's just a matter of who, and if Nimmo shows any signs of being good enough by July or August at the latest he'll get called up. Then they'll shop Lagares again like they did last year.

Also this is the same reason they traded for Walker with respect to Herrera. But I'm still not sold on Herrera.

Smith and Cecchini invited to spring training. I'm excited to see what Smith can do, I think he'll definitely be up in 2017 but if he can pull some sh*t off in Binghamton I could definitely see Alderson bringing him up. Particularly during interleague play when they could just DH Duda.

T.J Rivera getting an invite intrigues me too. Word has been for a while that they're high on him being a utility guy, so I guess this is his first shot.

Smith is still not as far along as Conforto was at this time last year. His power still has to develop.

It would be great to see Smith turn into a Derek Lee type, but with a little less power

I think Nimmo is the reason they have been hesitant to invest long term in any center fielders. Gives them an extra year to decide if Nimmo is the real deal, because it seems like they're still not 100% sure. We'll get someone, it's just a matter of who, and if Nimmo shows any signs of being good enough by July or August at the latest he'll get called up. Then they'll shop Lagares again like they did last year.

Also this is the same reason they traded for Walker with respect to Herrera. But I'm still not sold on Herrera.

Good point about Herrera too. Looks like a nice player, but they're not rushing him at all. Maybe they feel Nimmo is further along in his development.

Sandy is gonna save chips too for mid-season tweaks

Davis is signing with Baltimore for 161 million. So Cespedes looks like he would not go there long term to afford both of those big contracts

What I read is that the Mets are offering Cespy 18-22 per on a 1-3 year deal. If true this is not unreasonable. I assume the longer the deal the less per season. Maybe 3-50 plus. 

Cespy turned down 5-90 (and free crab cakes for life) with the Orioles. The Mets have already stated they won't go in that direction (in terms of length of contract). I think if that's his best offer and another team duplicates it he'll end up taking it. Because it's doubtful he will play at this level after 3 seasons. He wants a six year deal so he can get paid even after his skills diminish.  

Olney: Mets facing pressure on Cespedes

Although its apparent that New York is comfortable with Yoenis Cespedes signing elsewhere, the pressure the team is getting from fans to re-sign him is "intensifying," Buster Olney writes

Olney: Mets facing pressure on Cespedes

Although its apparent that New York is comfortable with Yoenis Cespedes signing elsewhere, the pressure the team is getting from fans to re-sign him is "intensifying," Buster Olney writes

Please don't sign Cespedes to a 5-year deal because of the f*cking fans.  Please.

Please don't sign Cespedes to a 5-year deal because of the f*cking fans.  Please.

You know the Mets would never give that type of contract. The most I could see Mets offer would be for two years and I seriously doubt that would take place

I'm more interested in Dilson than Nimmo.  I don't think Nimmo is anything more than a 4th OF type.  

Look NImmo is not a consideration in signing Yo. He has no body of work to even compare with him. And you can say the same for the excuse of where to play him long term. With a bat like that you find a place for him and the guy is a good defensive outfielder. But they have already stated they won't give him more than 3 years. If we do sign him we are legit contenders. 

I'm more interested in Dilson than Nimmo.  I don't think Nimmo is anything more than a 4th OF type.  

I'm actually the opposite, but we'll see. I think they're giving it one more year with Nimmo, maybe even just half a season, to see if he looks like he can be an everyday player. The problem is he's been so inconsistent, I guess they just want to stick it out a little longer to see if things finally click. I certainly think that's worth the risk if it can help us save some money on the back end when it's time to resign some of the pitchers. If both these guys work out that saves the Mets a TON of money, because if both Dilson and Nimmo are busts, we're going to have to buy both positions next year; which also means Sandy gets to delightfully try to find a balance with what he can spend and the Wilpons' Madoff payments. The Mets don't have many other outfielders or 2nd basemen that are that far along in the minors, so they would most certainly have to buy both positions for 2017.

I'm actually the opposite, but we'll see. I think they're giving it one more year with Nimmo, maybe even just half a season, to see if he looks like he can be an everyday player. The problem is he's been so inconsistent, I guess they just want to stick it out a little longer to see if things finally click. I certainly think that's worth the risk if it can help us save some money on the back end when it's time to resign some of the pitchers. If both these guys work out that saves the Mets a TON of money, because if both Dilson and Nimmo are busts, we're going to have to buy both positions next year; which also means Sandy gets to delightfully try to find a balance with what he can spend and the Wilpons' Madoff payments. The Mets don't have many other outfielders or 2nd basemen that are that far along in the minors, so they would most certainly have to buy both positions for 2017.

Nimmo will not get more than a September sniff this year, unless there is a rash of injuries.

Nimmo will not get more than a September sniff this year, unless there is a rash of injuries.

If they don't sign Yo (or Fowler...etc), my prediction is they call him up around June, they'll give him a about a month and a half to adjust and get a good look, then decide if they need to make a move for someone.

It appears that with no team willing to offer Yoenis Cespedes a long-term deal, the Mets and White Sox  now have some added competition as a few new teams are jumping into the fray.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that the Washington Nationals are now showing interest in Cespedes after losing out on Justin Upton. Like the Mets and White Sox, they will consider him on a short-term deal of three years or less...The New York Mets got a lot of flak early in November, when they took a three-year or nothing posture with Yoenis Cespedes. And at the time I wrote that maybe the Mets were actually ahead of the curve and being the adults in the room.

Since then, we’ve seen a lot of teams with reported interest come and go, with almost all of them balking at a long-term deal for the Cuban slugger.

Look NImmo is not a consideration in signing Yo. He has no body of work to even compare with him. And you can say the same for the excuse of where to play him long term. With a bat like that you find a place for him and the guy is a good defensive outfielder. But they have already stated they won't give him more than 3 years. If we do sign him we are legit contenders. 

We're legit contenders if we don't sign Cespy.

Nimmo is in the equation one way or the other, and a small part of the reason they're not going long term on Cespy.

But everybody is balking on going long term, for a lot of reasons.

Throwing a long term big deal at Cespy guarantees nothing. But could comprise a teams ability to sustain a balanced complete line up long term

It appears that with no team willing to offer Yoenis Cespedes a long-term deal, the Mets and White Sox  now have some added competition as a few new teams are jumping into the fray.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that the Washington Nationals are now showing interest in Cespedes after losing out on Justin Upton. Like the Mets and White Sox, they will consider him on a short-term deal of three years or less...The New York Mets got a lot of flak early in November, when they took a three-year or nothing posture with Yoenis Cespedes. And at the time I wrote that maybe the Mets were actually ahead of the curve and being the adults in the room.

Since then, we’ve seen a lot of teams with reported interest come and go, with almost all of them balking at a long-term deal for the Cuban slugger.

Weird.  It's almost like everyone complaining about us not bringing back Ces yet simply needed to be a little patient. 

If no one else is willing to give him more than 3 years, we're the favorites to bring him back.  It's pretty simple.

We're legit contenders if we don't sign Cespy.

Nimmo is in the equation one way or the other, and a small part of the reason they're not going long term on Cespy.

But everybody is balking on going long term, for a lot of reasons.

Throwing a long term big deal at Cespy guarantees nothing. But could comprise a teams ability to sustain a balanced complete line up long term

First why would any Mets fan be against giving Cespy a competitive deal. There's a big hole without him in the lineup. And the only reason we made the playoffs last year was because we added him. We have the starting pitching and the closer to win and some good position players but overall the offense and depth is just average or below average. We could take a chance and get lucky or wait until the trade deadline. But our team payroll of reportedly (by Sandy) 115 is very low. I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

Entire roster?  I don't think any of the 30 teams out there have a roster stocked with pure MLB talent.  Maybe the Cubs?

Our roster on opening day 2016 is pretty significantly better and more competitive than it was on opening day 2015, whether Cespedes is here or not.

Entire roster?  I don't think any of the 30 teams out there have a roster stocked with pure MLB talent.  Maybe the Cubs?

Our roster on opening day 2016 is pretty significantly better and more competitive than it was on opening day 2015, whether Cespedes is here or not.

Before Cespy last year we were last or next to last in offense  the NL in offense last season. After him at the top of the league. We also lost Murphy. And Niese who pitched well last season. I hope they have a few more signings even if not Cespy to improve the roster and not rely on guys like Campbell. Right now the Mets are not significantly better. 

Archived