2016 Mets Thread!

1 minute ago, GimmeShelter said:

He's quite the treat isn't he?

That WOULD explain why you and Scotty D luh me so.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

IH8 white people. 

BRUH, they're the ******* woooooorst. These crackers make it personal and then tell you you mad when they mad! It's that white people bullsh*t!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

P.S. For the second time in my life an all-time great playoff catch made by a Met will now be rendered forgotten because they lost the game.

Blah blah....fuheggitaboutit   We have like three or four 1st baseman and Dominic Smith looming. The resources for outside help go everywhere but there. Throwing out a bunch of alphabet lett

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

That WOULD explain why you and Scotty D luh me so.

I do like you and trust your recent "you people" remarks are a weak attempt at humor. Otherwise, I  think you should just ease off the gas pedal a little. Allow for some discussion and opinion other than yours when it comes to baseball without degrading the other posters. Get over that delusional overinflated self opinion you have that you are the smartest person in the room.  Oh and enough with the LAME excuses for dropping 8 straight to elite NY Mets pitching.

That's basically all I have ever said to you.

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Harvey, Matz, and deGrom lined up for the Marlins......

I wonder at what point Jose comes up? Maybe for the Gnats?

I would of thought the Marlins series for Reyes but they may let him get some more time at AAA and see if Flores is going to go on a hot streak after today's 6 hit effort.

2 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I would of thought the Marlins series for Reyes but they may let him get some more time at AAA and see if Flores is going to go on a hot streak after today's 6 hit effort.

Every single pitcher we are facing has an ERA of over 4.5. Which means we will probably go back to scoring a run per game.

14 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I just hope it's when he feels really ready.

It's a nice day for Flores, but I want to see Jose in the lineup starting over Wilmer anyway. I've been waiting for Wilmer to play consistently for too long. And I don't like his defense. He's limited imo.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I miss the days of tom and no psls actually trolling this thread well. 

I appreciate psls not being a disingenuous troll, same for Shane the majority of the time. Sucks that this thread went from getting trolled by Shane and psls to producing a few.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

I do like you and trust your recent "you people" remarks are a weak attempt at humor. Otherwise, I  think you should just ease off the gas pedal a little. Allow for some discussion and opinion other than yours when it comes to baseball without degrading the other posters. Get over that delusional overinflated self opinion you have that you are the smartest person in the room.  Oh and enough with the LAME excuses for dropping 8 straight to elite NY Mets pitching.

That's basically all I have ever said to you.

I can't say I like you from what I've seen, too much pretense. I am working with the pace you trolls set as far as posts and responses. The little actual discussion we have goes by the wayside as soon as you're competently disagreed with, leaving no resort but to troll. The "all in for 2016" is a perfect example of that - a comment with nothing behind it that went full troll once taken apart as a point. That's my issue here and it will remain my issue until you trolls can not troll, not use thinly veiled, passive aggressive personal attacks, and genuinely show an actual interest in discussing baseball. You couldn't even go this whole post without trolling based on yet more stuff you make up. I've offered no excuses here.

You've said many things to me, most emotionally driven and looking to troll with very little actual aptitude in talking baseball. The Mets took the last 8, Cubs took the first 7 against a healthier version of this Mets pitching staff. One of these teams, the Cubs, is still the best team in baseball this year with tons of ability to add and get better. The other is sitting in second place, hoping to hold onto a WC. As I've said a million times the past week or so, an early July series does not change that.

My super real, super serious super grudge against the Mets - it would be funny if they actually took down the Nats for the division. Collins >>> Dusty Baker, and when push comes to shove it is easy to bet against a Baker led squad.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is getting eerie, standings on this day last year:

Nats

49-33

Mets

43-37

Today:

Nats

50-33

Mets

44-37

And on this day in 2015, the Mets began a series against LA after just getting swept by, you guessed it, the Cubs.

Correct and the 2015  Cubs sweep took place when we were fielding an ugly version of a triple A line-up.

Some tidbits from the Cubs beat reporters. 

NEW YORK – No big deal? It’s only June or July? These losses don’t matter because they’re not “big boy” games like the ones in October?

Don’t believe it. This rematch in New York mattered to the Cubs.

“Obviously, we probably were too excited about playing them again and kind of [looking for] revenge for what happened in the playoffs,” catcher Miguel Montero said. “Which I don’t think’s the smart thing to do. You’ve just got to play your game and forget. It’s already over.”

Even before Sunday’s game, manager Joe Maddon said the series felt familiar, mostly because of the Cubs’ inability to handle the Mets’ power pitching. And more than revenge, pride or any other emotion, that’s what makes the Cubs’ lost-in-New-York weekend significant.

The Cubs are without leadoff man Dexter Fowler (hamstring) and a couple other injured hitters, but their on-base production has declined steadily since a torrid April.  “We’re not at our normal `depth-con’ right now. If we had been playing with full gorilla mode, I’d be a little bit more concerned probably,” Maddon said of a team that has lost 10 of 14 – 10 of 11 in that stretch against teams with winning records, and good pitching. Problem is they haven’t been the best team in baseball in at least a month – going just 12-15 in their last 27, with series losses to potential playoff foes Washington, St. Louis, Miami and the Mets along the way.

Even if Sunday’s rout – the second in three games against the Mets – could be written off as an aberration, the Cubs’ MLB-leading starting rotation got beat up by a depleted Mets lineup that ranks among the worst in baseball.  “It’s terrible. It’s just bad,” said Montero, whose team was outscored 32-11 in the series. “I mean they [out]played us, simple as that."

“I’m not upset or concerned,” said Maddon, who talked about easily forgetting Sunday’s game. “We’re going to continue to get better. We’re going to get on another good run – I’m certain of that.“In the meantime, the biggest thing is to hold serve. And if you look at our record right now overall, it’s pretty good.”

My take: Madden's right and the cubbies will likely have another run in them but this past series as well as the last month proves that despite what we read on this forum, the Cubs are not yet the dynasty we are led to believe and haven't been playing well since May. 

It's also interesting how Mets fans have simply grown

accustomed to the injuries this season while in the Chicago media you would think that replacing Dexter Fowler for a few weeks was akin to losing Mike Trout.

Anyway, two big series coming up this week. Hope the team has turned the corner offense wise.

You do understand that the Mets had the same super special power pitching when the Cubs swept the season series last year, right? I undestand beat writers look to undersell, even quell, drama so this guy is just coming hard with #science, but baseball isn't some weekly rat race like the NFL.

Here's the actual relevant part of that article:

I’m not upset or concerned,” said Maddon, who talked about easily forgetting Sunday’s game. “We’re going to continue to get better. We’re going to get on another good run – I’m certain of that.“In the meantime, the biggest thing is to hold serve. And if you look at our record right now overall, it’s pretty good.”

2 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

It's also interesting how Mets fans have simply grown accustomed to the injuries this season while in the Chicago media you would think that replacing Dexter Fowler for a few weeks was akin to losing Mike Trout.

This is 100% the case. Been out and about quite a bit in the Chi since it's a holiday weekend and this is all I've been hearing. 

I'm kind of a fan of it. The Mets have have had the worst run of injuries in baseball this year, and if people outside the fanbase don't know about it that means we're flying under the radar again, and this team plays way better when it's an underdog without expectations.

It's maaaaaaaybe 3% the case. Mostly it's "wow, 2/3 of the starting OF down, including a premium bat, and this team is still this good."

Probably half the posts in this thread alone from this season are whining about how many boo boos the Mets have. Cespedes got hurt for like ten minutes and a few of you guys started lamenting the season as lost lol. More delusions from a sect of Mets fans of JN. I dig the ability to work it out in your heads that the Mets are both giants and underdogs, that is some fancy science.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just got back from the Met game . I have figured out Harvey's problem : HE NEEDS TO SHAVE . He looks like a vagrant on the mound . He's pitching with his head up his ass . A fourth grader could have made that throw to the plate with the bases loaded . A clean shaven Harvey will solve his problems . Everyone , send him razors .

• Upvote 1

Just went I lost all hope on this team, they have a game like yesterday.  Cespedes in the man, I was literally yelling at the screen, opposite field gap and then boom!!!  Yo-yo comes through.

That was a gutsy win.  Really fun to watch.  It was so unMets like, it was hard to believe what I was watching.  I had a house full of people for the 4th and was glued to the TV. haha.  They just seemed to actually do what the need to do with every at Bat.  Sacrifices, base clearing knocks, it was money.

Great to see the bats come alive and even better that it started vs. a couple aces and carried over.  

All that said, Matt Harvey's fall from grace is hard to watch.  It's sad.  He was the lone bright spot for so long and really got me rejuvenated in watching the Mets and to watch this now.  Just sucks, man.  He's so bad.  So bad. 

yeah it is hard to believe these guys are battling at the plate all of a sudden after being so dreadful lets hope we keep it going

Jose is back tonight - lets see what effect he has on the new found chemistry

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just went I lost all hope on this team, they have a game like yesterday.  Cespedes in the man, I was literally yelling at the screen, opposite field gap and then boom!!!  Yo-yo comes through.

That was a gutsy win.  Really fun to watch.  It was so unMets like, it was hard to believe what I was watching.  I had a house full of people for the 4th and was glued to the TV. haha.  They just seemed to actually do what the need to do with every at Bat.  Sacrifices, base clearing knocks, it was money.

Great to see the bats come alive and even better that it started vs. a couple aces and carried over.  

All that said, Matt Harvey's fall from grace is hard to watch.  It's sad.  He was the lone bright spot for so long and really got me rejuvenated in watching the Mets and to watch this now.  Just sucks, man.  He's so bad.  So bad. 

Agree completely. A loss yesterday would have taken a lot of the luster off of sweeping the Cubs even though the Cubs have been in a rut and most good teams have had their way with them of late. It was like watching a different team in that the entire line-up was having professional and situational AB's.

Harvey is perplexing but I still think he'll be ok. He had shown signs of having righted the ship until yesterdays disaster.

Reyes on the way up to the big club today. Will be interesting to see if Terry sits Flores who had a big at bat yesterday.

1 minute ago, GimmeShelter said:

Agree completely. A loss yesterday would have taken a lot of the luster off of sweeping the Cubs even though the Cubs have been in a rut and most good teams have had their way with them of late. It was like watching a different team in that the entire line-up was having professional and situational AB's.

Harvey is perplexing but I still think he'll be ok. He had shown signs of having righted the ship until yesterdays disaster.

Reyes on the way up to the big club today. Will be interesting to see if Terry sits Flores who had a big at bat yesterday.

Like Scott and Faba said, they've just been a lot more professional at the plate.  Nice to see.  Would love to carry this momentum into that Nats series.

Harvey is on his way to 5.00 era and 20 losses.  Think about that for a second.  If Wheeler wasnt on his way back at some point, they might have had to give some thought about finding another starter which is just NUTS when you considered what we thought we had in this staff!!!!

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Like Scott and Faba said, they've just been a lot more professional at the plate.  Nice to see.  Would love to carry this momentum into that Nats series.

Harvey is on his way to 5.00 era and 20 losses.  Think about that for a second.  If Wheeler wasnt on his way back at some point, they might have had to give some thought about finding another starter which is just NUTS when you considered what we thought we had in this staff!!!!

5 of his last 7 starts have been 2 earned runs or less allowed. Yesterday was and is cause for some concern due to how bad he was earlier in the season but it's not time to contemplate pulling the plug on him yet. If he's healthy he'll be fine. Too talented not to be.

I like that Terry pulled no punches in critiquing his start during the post game presser though.  

5 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

5 of his last 7 starts have been 2 earned runs or less allowed. Yesterday was and is cause for some concern due to how bad he was earlier in the season but it's not time to contemplate pulling the plug on him yet. If he's healthy he'll be fine. Too talented not to be.

I like that Terry pulled no punches in critiquing his start during the post game presser though.  

That's what I keep telling myself.  That talent is there somewhere.  You dont just lose it, not this fast, not in your prime.  Not sure why he's pitching like doodoo but it's hard to watch the Dark Knight get shelled what feels like every damn game. 

• Upvote 1

This is what this team has been and always will be. A streaky team that manages to play at or close to .500 ball when it is struggling, and then bides its time until the bats get hot and it can go on a run. It's been the case since April of last year.

And also, as great as the bats have been the past five games, I think it further reinforced that Familia is the MVP of this team. The Mets have 45 wins, Familia has closed 29 of those. To put that in perspective, the only guy in baseball that's remotely close to him at 25 is Jansen, and the majority of his save opportunities come from solely Kershaw. Familia is tipping near 70% of last year's save total and we're not even halfway through the season yet. Look no further than the two saves he had against the Cubs and yesterday's as well. The strategy of this ballclub right now is starting to mirror that of when Rivera was in his prime with the Yanks; get the lead and then get the ball to him. I really have no idea where this team would be without him but I do believe that if we had any other closer we'd have at least another 4-5 losses on the year, and that's probably being conservative.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And also, as great as the bats have been the past five games, I think it further reinforced that Familia is the MVP of this team. The Mets have 45 wins, Familia has closed 29 of those. To put that in perspective, the only guy in baseball that's remotely close to him at 25 is Jansen, and the majority of his save opportunities come from solely Kershaw. Familia is tipping near 70% of last year's save total and we're not even halfway through the season yet. Look no further than the two saves he had against the Cubs and yesterday's as well. The strategy of this ballclub right now is starting to mirror that of when Rivera was in his prime with the Yanks; get the lead and then get the ball to him. I really have no idea where this team would be without him but I do believe that if we had any other closer we'd have at least another 4-5 losses on the year, and that's probably being conservative.

Easy killer ; familia blew three saves in the World Series ; don't plan the Hall of Fame party yet .

Just now, no psls said:

Easy killer ; familia blew three saves in the World Series ; don't plan the Hall of Fame party yet .

Easy Estelle, the juju from your bland hyperbole only works when its directed at players and Cubs fans. Save that sh*t for them.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Easy Estelle, the juju from your bland hyperbole only works when its directed at players and Cubs fans. Save that sh*t for them.

OK ; I'll use it on Rutgers' grads ; what do you use a Rutgers degree for ? A professional squeeqyer ?

CLL9K47UsAAa0y_.jpg