2016 Mets Thread!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

P.S. For the second time in my life an all-time great playoff catch made by a Met will now be rendered forgotten because they lost the game.

Blah blah....fuheggitaboutit   We have like three or four 1st baseman and Dominic Smith looming. The resources for outside help go everywhere but there. Throwing out a bunch of alphabet lett

Posted Images

OK back to baseball talk

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Matt Reynolds' locker has been cleaned out. Appears he's the demotion to make room for Jose Reyes' addition to the roster.

9 minutes ago, faba said:

OK back to baseball talk

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Matt Reynolds' locker has been cleaned out. Appears he's the demotion to make room for Jose Reyes' addition to the roster.

Bummer. Actually liked the way he played and conducted himself a lot.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bummer. Actually liked the way he played and conducted himself a lot.

To be expected though Wright on 60 day disabled list- my hunch is career could be over

Just now, faba said:

To be expected though Wright on 60 day disabled list- my hunch is career could be over

These fusion surgeries they do now are so unpredictable and totally dependent on the variables of the person; like ranging from he could be back in September to the end of his career and everything in between and none of it would be surprising.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

These fusion surgeries they do now are so unpredictable and totally dependent on the variables of the person; like ranging from he could be back in September to the end of his career and everything in between and none of it would be surprising.

Hey to me David went through all the bad times and was a loyal guy never complaining- hate to see him go out this way if this the end

• Upvote 2

The NL is there for the taking. To me, there is not a dominant team that is head and shoulders above any other. The Mets are in that mix. The team I would hate to face the most in the playoffs would be the Giants, because of their accomplishments there before.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The NL is there for the taking. To me, there is not a dominant team that is head and shoulders above any other. The Mets are in that mix. The team I would hate to face the most in the playoffs would be the Giants, because of their accomplishments there before.

Pittsburgh no question. They have owned us for two years.

2 hours ago, faba said:

OK back to baseball talk

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Why the hell is DeAza still here ? He couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag .

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Here's Jose Reyes addressing whether he merits being welcomed back to baseball and the Mets. "I know there are some people who are going to hate me," Reyes said. "I understand that. I put myself in that situation, like I've said before. But people who know me from the bottom of their heart, they know I'm not that kind of person. I'm a human being. Human beings make mistakes. Nobody is perfect. You have to learn from the mistakes."

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Pittsburgh no question. They have owned us for two years.

It's weird, this season is in stark contrast to last year, when the Mets struggled with the Central, they are 15-5 this year. 

The Central is down this year, measured by the success not only the Mets are having against that division. In fact, that is where the Cubs have fattened up, as they are only 6 over .500 against all the other divisions.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In fact, that is where the Cubs have fattened up, as they are only 6 over .500 against all the other divisions.

I pointed out the same thing but to the "mathematicians" this is one stat/fact that doesn't hold water......you know Cubs and all.

2 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I pointed out the same thing but to the "mathematicians" this is one stat/fact that doesn't hold water......you know Cubs and all.

The numbers are, what they are. No subjectivity to them

For the Mets, they have failed to fatten up on the Phillies and Braves. Those are the obvious dregs, and the Mets missed opportunities

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

For the Mets, they have failed to fatten up on the Phillies and Braves. Those are the obvious dregs, and the Mets missed opportunities

Absolutely. The difference is that we readily admit it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Absolutely. The difference is that we readily admit it. 

You notice how neither of you two actually cite any numbers? You're just agreeing with each other back and forth like a real life, less intentially funny version of the Too Much Tuna duo.

The 2016 Cubs have a .550 winning percentage against teams .500 or better. The 2016 Mets have a .543 winning percentage against .500 or better competition. In 2015 the Cubs had a .578 winning percentage against those teams. The 2015 Mets had a .424 winning percentage against teams .500 or better. .424 as in 42.4%, as in they lost more games against good teams than they won. I can only assume there's some spin coming about how they won when it counts because well, that's the caliber of poster involved.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

You notice how neither of you two actually cite any numbers? You're just agreeing with each other back and forth like a real life, less intentially funny version of the Too Much Tuna duo.

The 2016 Cubs have a .550 winning percentage against teams .500 or better. The 2016 Mets have a .543 winning percentage against .500 or better competition. In 2015 the Cubs had a .578 winning percentage against those teams. The 2015 Mets had a .424 winning percentage against teams .500 or better. .424 as in 42.4%, as in they lost more games against good teams than they won. I can only assume there's some spin coming about how they won when it counts because well, that's the caliber of poster involved.

Actually we were talking about W-L records against the NL Central in 2016 and cited the numbers.  Take a breath, you're in over your head.

Terry kind of blew that game tonight. Don't understand leaving Goedell in there at all. Total wasted opportunity with the Nats dropping another too.

Also, I dunno, I question throwing Reyes out there. I understand it as a baseball move, but this team was on a 5-game winning streak and you don't mess with winning streaks.

57 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

you're in over your head.

That is most definitely not the case so much as you were somehow making a dumber point than I imagined. By "6 games over .500" you mean a .563 winning percentage (27-21), good for a 91 win pace. It really is funny how hapless the two of you are.

Down on the Mets' farm, way down, there's a 2015 drafted I LHP liked and is performing well in Thomas Szapucki. He was one of the higher rated HS LHPs last year - hit 95, showed a potentially very good slider, enough size and projectability to be interesting, some pitchability....Anyway, guy has a 30/4 K: BB in 16.2 IP this year while allowing just 8 hits. Struck out 13 over 6 in his season debut and is generating some buzz on the prospect blogosphere after a 6 IP/ 11 K outing on 7/4. Definitely a guy to watch, could see full season ball this year and definitely will next year. 

I'll throw in every time I talk about this farm that Rosario is a stud and there's a 2B between Herrera and Cecchini. I lean Herrera and have for a few years now. That MIF set up could be in place by this time next summer even.

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I may not pretend to evaluate high school players that I have never seen, like you, but I am pretty sure I provided numbers. 

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

That is most definitely not the case so much as you were somehow making a dumber point than I imagined. By "6 games over .500" you mean a .563 winning percentage (27-21), good for a 91 win pace. It really is funny how hapless the two of you are.

Ok. what would their win total be, if they played at the rate they are beating the NL Central, over a full year?

See? That was the point.

My monthly bitch at Collins moment because I didnt bitch about him keeping Thor in the game in a blowout in the 7th a few games ago...

Last night, down 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th.  They walk Cespedes to start the inning.  I understand that put your clean up hitter at the plate, but lets be honest, under no circumstance is Flores really a clean up hitter.  So instead of bunting over Cespedes who mind you at that point was the only Met a hit in the game, they let Flores swing away. He pops out.  Cespedes stays on first.  Next up, Cabrera.  No bunt, no hit and run, nothing.  He pops out.  Cespedes on first still.  Next batter, Loney hits a single in short left. Who knows if that hit scores Cespedes to be honest but the fact that we do nothing to advance base runners in 1 run game in the bottom of the 7th, with literally 2 hits on the night all coming from Cespedes is just maddening. 

• Upvote 1
My monthly bitch at Collins moment because I didnt bitch about him keeping Thor in the game in a blowout in the 7th a few games ago...

Last night, down 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th.  They walk Cespedes to start the inning.  I understand that put your clean up hitter at the plate, but lets be honest, under no circumstance is Flores really a clean up hitter.  So instead of bunting over Cespedes who mind you at that point was the only Met a hit in the game, they let Flores swing away. He pops out.  Cespedes stays on first.  Next up, Cabrera.  No bunt, no hit and run, nothing.  He pops out.  Cespedes on first still.  Next batter, Loney hits a single in short left. Who knows if that hit scores Cespedes to be honest but the fact that we do nothing to advance base runners in 1 run game in the bottom of the 7th, with literally 2 hits on the night all coming from Cespedes is just maddening. 

Flores can't bunt.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I may not pretend to evaluate high school players that I have never seen, like you, but I am pretty sure I provided numbers. 

giphy.gif

Somehow you manage to be a less intelligent baseball fan than football fan, AND see it as a point of pride. Never change, Scotty! It's all magic and guts! Meanwhile you and your boy just jerked each other off over what you percieve to be a big stat lol....

Ok. what would their win total be, if they played at the rate they are beating the NL Central, over a full year?

See? That was the point.

Ooooooh. Very good point - they're record setting against the division that fielded the three winningest teams in baseball last year and had the three best offenses by RS in the NL as recently as two weeks ago (now top 2 IIRC). Meanwhile they are merely one of the better teams in basbeall - and still better than the Mets - outside of their division. You two combining your brains to work that gem out only gets more funny the more you try to make it seem not dumb, Scoooootttaaay!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
22 minutes ago, JiF said:

That is what you get with Collins. He is not a "small ball" type of manager. Whether that is good or bad, is certainly debatable. You would certainly hope that you could have a manager that is flexible in those situations, but that is not what Collins is.

21 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

giphy.gif

Somehow you manage to be a less intelligent baseball fan than football fan, AND see it as a point of pride. Never change, Scotty! It's all magic and guts! Meanwhile you and your boy just jerked each other off over what you percieve to be a big stat lol....

Ooooooh. Very good point - they're record setting against the division that fielded the three winningest teams in baseball last year and had the three best offenses by RS in the NL as recently as two weeks ago (now top 2 IIRC). Meanwhile they are merely one of the better teams in basbeall - and still better than the Mets - outside of their division. You two combining your brains to work that gem out only gets more funny the more you try to make it seem not dumb, Scoooootttaaay!

I like you but I havent figured out your agenda here.  In fact, I'm genuinely confused by your tactics. 

Are you upset that Mets fan enjoyed sweeping the best team in baseball?  Or upset that some posters potentially dont see greatness in the Cubs?  

You keep posting in here so figured I'd ask. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is what you get with Collins. He is not a "small ball" type of manager. Whether that is good or bad, is certainly debatable. You would certainly hope that you could have a manager that is flexible in those situations, but that is not what Collins is.

I know that and you think I'd be used to it by now, but I'm not.  I really dont get it.  You have to flexible, especially on nights when nobody is hitting.  I get that the bats had been hot lately but one sac bunt to advance a runner isnt going to kill you.  

4 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I've also seen him botch a few.

That's common when bunting.  haha

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I like you but I havent figured out your agenda here.  In fact, I'm genuinely confused by your tactics. 

Are you upset that Mets fan enjoyed sweeping the best team in baseball?  Or upset that some posters potentially dont see greatness in the Cubs?  

My take on his agenda:

1. His opinion trumps anybody else. Don't even bother to debate his opinion, because you are wrong.

2. Look how smart I am. I copy opinions of people who claim to know prospects, and how they will perform. I don't actually see these prospects, but I like reading others opinions. Then I formulate those as my own opinion

3. Numbers are cool and they are even cooler when you try to tell a story.

Just my opinion,

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Atta boy, Skippy!

Weeeeak lol. Scoooooottttaaaaaaay!

2 hours ago, JiF said:

- Nobody gave a sh*t about my baseball opinions here until the Cubs became, clearly, the best all around team in baseball. It's my favorite sport, I know what I'm talking about, and have been talking confrontation free baseball on this forum, hell probably in this thread, for years.

- I don't care that the Mets beat the Cubs in July this year. The Cubs swept the Mets during the regular season last year, that also had no predictive value and zero of this forum's multiple Cubs fans trolled this thread over minor figures like that. 

- A couple Mets fan trolls have been trolling the Cubs thread for a couple months now, likely because they know that the Cubs are the better team now and the better franchise moving forward. None of these folks had anything to say when the Cubs weren't the top dog in the NL. The past 5+ pages of the Cubs thread are littered with troll activity from a couple guys here. I find it extremely hypocritical, and at least a little telling of perhaps some decline in quality overall here, that my posts are supposed to have some maniacal agenda but these trolls are allowed to act as they act without question. They keep posting in the Cubs forum, offering nothing, I will post in the Mets thread freely and in whatever manner I like out of principle. I didn't ask for this nonsense but if this is how JN's baseball forum works now then fine with me. 

Oh, and I like you too. I am genuinely confused by why a quality poster like yourself would even kinda sorta align with slime like those guys. Is it that they like the same team? Sure, I'd be wiser to ignore those trolls but they've filled up the Cubs thread, there really are not any options.