2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Because Alderson actually did try for Gonzalez over Ces. We got Cespedes because the CarGo deal fell through. Had Gonzalez not had a bad hip, Cespedes isn't a Met and we probably don't win the division last year.

Did he fail the physical or did the Mets balk because of the hip?  I can't remember.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think they exchanged medical records and then the Mets balked.

In that case I stand by my point.  They took the information available and made the right call, no?  I think we should be allowed to praise a GM for making the right move, even if there was some luck involved.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How so?  He never panicked, waited until the last possible moment at the trade deadline to make the big move for an OF, and got the best available on the market.  Cespedes then proceeded to dominate the latter third of the season. 

Pretty decent read on Sandy's version of how the deal went down.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/23/inside-the-frenzied-cespedes-trade-that-launched-mets-into-contenders/

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In that case I stand by my point.  They took the information available and made the right call, no?  I think we should be allowed to praise a GM for making the right move, even if there was some luck involved.

I don't understand. You said he landed Cespedes when people were screaming for Gonzalez. That's not what happened.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand. You said he landed Cespedes when people were screaming for Gonzalez. That's not what happened.

Mets fans weren't screaming for us to get Carlos Gomez?  He wasn't the only OF Mets fans were yelling for, but he was definitely one of them.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mets fans weren't screaming for us to get Carlos Gomez?  He wasn't the only OF Mets fans were yelling for, but he was definitely one of them.

Except he did the thing that you're praising him for not doing. And Mets fans were screaming for Cespedes too. And Upton. And anyone else that could hit for more than .200 with a decent glove.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Except he did the thing that you're praising him for not doing. And Mets fans were screaming for Cespedes too. And Upton. And anyone else that could hit for more than .200 with a decent glove.

Hmm.  I looked back and it appears I was wrong.  These were the comments about Gomez at the time.  Mixed reviews.

On 7/26/2015 at 11:21 AM, Lith said:

I agree.  I would prefer to see us go get one of the two Brewers.  Gomez and Parra seem to be better fits for Citi Field than a guy like Bruce.  I would prefer Gomez just because he has that extra year under contract, we would have him for 2016.

On 7/29/2015 at 7:37 PM, T0mShane said:

Gomez or Upton? Who do you soon-to-be relentlessly snarky sh*tbirds want?

On 7/29/2015 at 8:01 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

So Carlos Gomez probably makes that play.

On 7/29/2015 at 8:17 PM, T0mShane said:

You guys want to hear more tweet rumors?

Ok.

Flores, Wheeler, Lagares, + for Gomez and Jean Segura, meaning they'd have a real shortstop.

On 7/29/2015 at 8:22 PM, GimmeShelter said:

I'd make that deal as long as Gomez is not a pending FA.  Tejada had been good of late.

On 7/29/2015 at 8:36 PM, Jolot said:

I would be all in on that, ..Lagares after surgery could get healthy and haunt us down the road but its a chance I would take.

On 7/29/2015 at 9:07 PM, Ken Shroy said:

Hate to lose Wheeler.

On 7/30/2015 at 0:18 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Wait wait, hold on, it may not be us this time:

Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN 1m1 minute ago

Ken Rosenthal (authenticated account) reporting that #Mets backed out of deal, not #Brewers, because of hip concern with Carlos Gomez.

On 7/30/2015 at 7:57 AM, Lizard King said:
On 7/30/2015 at 7:19 AM, faba said:

So the issue was Gomez- meanwhile we are trading someone with Tommy John surgery to them- you can not make this up

I think we dodged a bullet. We need a bat but that bat is not Carlos Gomez.

On 7/30/2015 at 8:27 AM, JiF said:

Gomez sucks.  This was a terrible trade.  I dont get how they didnt get more value out of it. 

On 7/30/2015 at 8:48 AM, Matt39 said:

He does suck and he's a punk. Mets came to their senses I guess.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hmm.  I looked back and it appears I was wrong.  These were the comments about Gomez at the time.  Mixed reviews.

Correct. And if you search the pre-Tigers trade posts you will most certainly find a few of us calling for trading for Cespedes. 

I think everyone was interested in a big bat. In hindsight we got lucky that they backed off Gomez due to health concerns. I don't think anyone saw Cespedes going off the way that he did. Was a few of the best months of baseball ever as a fan to witness for me. The forum/thread was a blast as well. 

We don't go to the WS in 2015 with Gomez and Segura as Cespedes was simply a terror that made the entire line-up including Murphy the best in the league down the stretch.

Looking at it from a 2016 perspective, Gomez has sucked so far, Segura has been good but we made out OK with Cabrera and Michael Fullmer may be the AL ROY.   It would be fantastic to have Fullmer right now but yeah, glad we made the trade.

17 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I think everyone was interested in a big bat. In hindsight we got lucky that they backed off Gomez due to health concerns. I don't think anyone saw Cespedes going off the way that he did. Was a few of the best months of baseball ever as a fan to witness for me. The forum/thread was a blast as well. 

We don't go to the WS in 2015 with Gomez and Segura as Cespedes was simply a terror that made the entire line-up including Murphy the best in the league down the stretch.

Looking at it from a 2016 perspective, Gomez has sucked so far, Segura has been good but we made out OK with Cabrera and Michael Fullmer may be the AL ROY.   It would be fantastic to have Fullmer right now but yeah, glad we made the trade.

Fulmer would be awesome given the injury problems, but I don't even think we're in the running for the division right now if you replace Fulmer with Cespedes. And we certainly don't win the division last year. Said this a bunch of times but that's been one of those rare trades that wound up being an A+ for both teams.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, BowlesMovement said:

If you look at is contract, its really embarrassing that we did not sign him at this point. Once he started focusing on pulling the ball more, he became a different player. The signs were there that he was going to do this. When you look at Wright's health situation, and Duda being, Duda, its really tough to imagine how we did not sign him for that type of contract. Even if he was just the normal Murphy, and not this, it still would have been a really good move to have made. He is terrible at 2nd, but his flexibility and offense more than make up for it. I have been a huge Sandy supporter, and think very highly of him, but I think he F'd up really bad on this one.

Here's an article that weighs in on some of the things you mention.

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/nl/new-york-mets/daniel-murphy-mets/

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:15 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I was calling strictly for Cespedes. When management cancels a deal based on medical records, it's due to common sense, not Sabermetrics.

Further...does Sabermetrics have a stat that accounts for Daniel Murphy getting three seasons of protection from one of the best hitters to ever play the game? It's going to be ugly.

I'm a Mets hater but I don't think the Mets are in as big trouble as everyone thinks they are.  They weren't winning the NL East anyway so it's all about the WC2 spot.  Cespedes will be back soon ditto for Wheeler.  They can trade for another pitcher they don't need anyone great just a an innings eater.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I'm a Mets hater but I don't think the Mets are in as big trouble as everyone thinks they are.  They weren't winning the NL East anyway so it's all about the WC2 spot.  Cespedes will be back soon ditto for Wheeler.  They can trade for another pitcher they don't need anyone great just a an innings eater.

They're totally going to backdoor into the playoffs with that second WC. Once you get in, the WS is wide open too because playoffs.

7 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I think if Harvey had been healthy and pitching to his norm they sure as hell had a shot at winning the division even with all the other injuries.  Lots of people are claiming Murphy to be the difference in the division so far but in in my opinion it's Harvey and his 11 losses.   I think Sandy absolutely needs to add a reliable SP if he wants to see the post season even if only as insurance should Matz and Thor need some time off. 

Wheeler is not close. Late August maybe...if that?

30 for 30 on Doc and Darryl was great and crushing at the same time. Great to see Straw is going strong and doing great, but Doc really looks and sounds terrible, and hearing how confident he is about slipping in and out of addiction is going to be the rest of his life...just damn. And I had absolutely no idea that Doc pitched that no-hitter for the Yanks with his dad on his deathbed. That's nuts.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

30 for 30 on Doc and Darryl was great and crushing at the same time. Great to see Straw is going strong and doing great, but Doc really looks and sounds terrible, and hearing how confident he is about slipping in and out of addiction is going to be the rest of his life...just damn. And I had absolutely no idea that Doc pitched that no-hitter for the Yanks with his dad on his deathbed. That's nuts.

I missed it but read a review that said they are not really and never were really close. Addictions are a lifelong battle no matter what you are addicted to

30 minutes ago, faba said:

I missed it but read a review that said they are not really and never were really close. Addictions are a lifelong battle no matter what you are addicted to

Doc looks and acts like a straight tweaker.  

Great show.  I think the mos gut wrenching part was when they showed how Doc was so tweaked out, he was watching the World Series parade at home on the couch and nobody knew where he was.

Zack Wheeler is hurting — inside.

With the Mets short a piece in the rotation following Matt Harvey’s decision to undergo season-ending surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, Wheeler’s disappointment has only grown that he can’t rejoin the team on schedule.

“You never wish that anybody would get hurt, but them being down sort of makes me wish I could be up there to help out a little bit more and fill in for them,” Wheeler told The Post on Thursday.

The righty, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, originally thought he might rejoin the Mets around the All-Star break. That was until recent elbow soreness derailed the plan.

Wheeler’s new best-case scenario is for a mid-to-late August return — he says he has thrown from the mound twice since his latest restart and would expect to soon begin throwing pitches with a batter standing in the box.

In April, Wheeler was shut down after undergoing a procedure to remove a stitch in his elbow that hadn’t dissolved.

“I’ve already had two setbacks, so hopefully nothing else arises,” Wheeler said. “Hopefully we just go smooth sailing from here.”

Wheeler said his latest setback — he was examined in New York last month by team doctor David Altchek — was related to the procedure in April.

“When I had that second surgery to take out that stitch, those nerve endings were rubbing over the stitch, that is why they are irritated and [Altchek] basically said it was my nerve endings again,” Wheeler said. “He just gave me a little injection to try to calm those down. He said they will eventually calm down on their own, but I’m just trying to not do a lot at once.”

One thing is almost certain: With Harvey finished for the season, Wheeler won’t become trade bait. Last season he was nearly traded to the Brewers at the deadline, along with Wilmer Flores, for Carlos Gomez.

“It’s part of the game,” Wheeler said, referring to trade rumors. “And I’ve been hurt for so long that all the fans always throw me out there because they sort of forgot.

“It gives me motivation, too, when fans are saying that about me, all over my Twitter. It makes me want to work harder the next day. It might get some people down, but I use it as motivation.”

The Mets’ Fab Five of Harvey, Wheeler, Noah Syndergaard, Jacob deGrom and Steven Matz has never pitched together in the same rotation. Wheeler hopes there will be a week it happens.

“You want to because it would be a freakin’ bad rotation,” Wheeler said. “But it’s baseball. You’re not supposed to be throwing like we throw, so stuff is going to happen. Hopefully we can all get up there and be healthy.”

FILED UNDER MATT HARVEY  NEW YORK METS  

One less-than-scintillating half of a season hasn’t changed Sandy Alderson’s outlook on the 2016 Mets.

“I still expect us to be a playoff team,” the Mets general manager told The Post on Thursday. “I know we’ve had some injuries, but I don’t see any reason at this point why we can’t overcome those, so the expectations haven’t changed.”

The Mets (47-41) will begin the post-All Star break on Friday in Philadelphia, trailing the NL East-leading Nationals by six games. In the wild-card race, Alderson’s crew is tied with the Marlins for the second spot, behind the Dodgers.

It’s hardly the kind of placement the Mets would have expected heading into the season, given the depth and talent of the starting rotation and proven returning pieces from last year’s National League championship team.

But David Wright and Matt Harvey were lost for the season to injuries — after performing at underwhelming levels — and Lucas Duda and Travis d’Arnaud missed extended stretches (with Duda still sidelined by a stress fracture in his back). Meanwhile, Steven Matz and Noah Syndergaard endured bone spurs that likely affected their performances.

But given the fact the Mets are 28th in the major leagues in scoring, averaging 3.81 runs, they are probably fortunate to still have a shot at reaching the postseason.

“The reality is the rotation is going to have to continue to pitch well,” Alderson said. “The bullpen is going to have to be above average and we have to score some runs.”

With Harvey out until 2017 after last week receiving a diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome, Alderson said it’s likely the Mets will have to fill the rotation spot from within until Zack Wheeler can return from Tommy John surgery rehab. Wheeler, in a best-case scenario, is still at least a month away from rejoining the team.

“It’s hard to say what is going to be available,” Alderson said, referring to the trade market. “But realistically I think it’s unlikely we would add anybody with real impact to the rotation.”

As The Post reported Wednesday, the Mets’ primary focus heading to the trade deadline will be improving the bullpen.

“As a practical matter it’s probably more likely we are able to obtain help there than any other areas,” Alderson said. “Part of the issue is making sure we have somebody legitimate in the seventh inning. [Addison] Reed and [Jeurys] Familia obviously have been very good.”

Though the Mets have been abysmal at times offensively, Alderson doesn’t envision making a splash by acquiring another bat, as he did at last year’s trade deadline when he landed Yoenis Cespedes.

“If you look at it overall, if we had hit a little better with runners in scoring position we would have improved our standing quite a bit,” Alderson said. “You look at it more in terms of the last week or 10 days, we were up and down.

“If you look at our record, we actually played as well against the good teams as we have against the poor teams. We need to play better against the lesser teams.”

Among those “lesser” teams is the Phillies — who still have 12 games remaining against the Mets, starting with Friday night’s matchup at Citizens Bank Park.

Manager Terry Collins hopes the Mets will use 2015’s second-half surge that ended in a pennant as a rallying cry for this season.

“We’ve been here before,” Collins said. “We’ve got guys that are beaten up a little bit, the break is going to help.

“Coming out of the break, obviously losing Harvey doesn’t help. But they are in a good spot. We’ve got some young players that are going to lean on the veteran guys that are in the clubhouse and you’ve got to keep your heads up.”

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What a waste of talent !!!

7 hours ago, faba said:

Straw actually looks and sounds great. Found a good purpose in helping people in recovery which seems to be his new drug. But like you said, he even admits it's still an everyday struggle.

Cant say you missed anything new if you're a Mets fan. I feel like this 30 for 30 was for non-Mets and especially non-baseball fans. They don't really say much we didn't know already, and Keith tells the same stories he's told a bunch of times during broadcasts. 

10 hours ago, JiF said:

Doc looks and acts like a straight tweaker.  

Great show.  I think the mos gut wrenching part was when they showed how Doc was so tweaked out, he was watching the World Series parade at home on the couch and nobody knew where he was.

Yeah those two didn't just mess around a bit like say Hernandez did... they were full fledged addicts.

86 was great to watch but many of the stories you hear about that group as the years go by paints an ugly picture for what that team was really like off the field.

Cespedes out again. I guess if this was going to happen out of the break, Philly's the place do it. We always seem to hit well out of there.

I am wondering if they should just shut him down until Monday. We're going to need runs at Wrigley. I'm heading to the Tuesday and Wednesday games. Maybe the Monday night game too if prices drop low enough. All three of these games have almost sold out. Crazy.

21 minutes ago, faba said:

Adam RubinESPN Staff Writer 

rubin_adam_m.jpg

Michael Conforto is due to rejoin the Mets for the series opener in Chicago. Brandon Nimmo is being demoted.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1h

Really wish they'd DFA De Aza and keep Nimmo up. I suppose Lagares looking good has something to do with it but come on. De Aza is so useless.

Archived