2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

Before Cespy last year we were last or next to last in offense  the NL in offense last season. After him at the top of the league. We also lost Murphy. And Niese who pitched well last season. I hope they have a few more signings even if not Cespy to improve the roster and not rely on guys like Campbell. Right now the Mets are not significantly better. 

Conforto, Neil Walker, and Asdrubal Cabrera represent upgrades at 3 starting positions from where we were on opening day 2015.  Most importantly, our depth at 2B, SS, 3B and OF are also significantly better as a result.  We won't need to call up the Eric Campbell's of the world if we suffer some injuries like we did last year.  So yes, we are significantly better, right now.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB.com has named Mets 1B prospect Dominic Smithto its minor-league All-Defensive Team (Jan. 19, 2016).

"He has great hands and footwork around the bag to go along with an accurate arm," Jonathan Mayo explains. "Infielders are going to love throwing to him at the big league level."

Smith, 20, was recently ranked by MLB.com as the organization's fifth-best prospect. He was named the 2015 MVP in the Florida State League, where he hit .305 with 33 doubles. 

He was also recently named to MLB.com's Arizona Fall League All-AFL Team.

Conforto, Neil Walker, and Asdrubal Cabrera represent upgrades at 3 starting positions from where we were on opening day 2015.  Most importantly, our depth at 2B, SS, 3B and OF are also significantly better as a result.  We won't need to call up the Eric Campbell's of the world if we suffer some injuries like we did last year.  So yes, we are significantly better, right now.

You are fighting a lost cause. Let it go. Move on.

IMO not enough offense. And not sure that Walker is an upgrade. I think we need Murphy's bat. Him and Cespy were are best offensive players last year. But Walker is a good player. And Cabrera is an upgrade, but not by that much. I don't see a 25 without the Campbells and the Vegas Express. And btw we gave up a good innings eater in Niese to get Walker for only one season. When we could have re-signed our own 2nd baseman for not that much (12 mil per season). Sandy when he made the Walker deal killed two birds with one stone for the Wilpons. He didn't want to pay Niese double figures or Murphy. He is hoping that Herrera is ready to start in 2016. I'll say it again. Good orgs don't operate like this hoping that players (with low contracts) are MLB ready and not competitive in free agency. If they don't sign Cespy and that's doubtful I  hope at least he signs a couple of lower tier MLB bats and does not again dip into Vegas for bats because those guys can't hit big league pitching. 

The Mets have agreed to terms with free-agent LH reliever Antonio Bastardo, according to Jon Heyman (Jan. 20).

The deal will be for $12 million over two years, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (Jan. 20).

Bastardo, 30, posted a 2.98 ERA and 1.13 WHIP last season for the Pirates while striking out 64 batters in 57 1/3 innings. He had reportedly been seeking a three-year deal. 

Bastardo has been effective against both left-handers and right-handers during his seven-year career, with lefties hitting .178 with a .277 OBP and .319 SLG against him and righties hitting .211 with a .308 OBP and .332 SLG.

Along with the Mets, the Dodgers, Orioles, and Blue Jays had also been linked to Bastardo.

Bastardo is a good relief pitcher. And he's a lefty. It might mean the Mets are considering using a relief pitcher in a trade. I'm surprised they gave him the 12 mil but this kind of monetary figure seems to be what they are willing to work with. It's ok if you fill your roster with guys like this esp if they play hard and are overachievers. KC basically did this a year ago and it worked pretty well didn't it. As for offense again, you have a lot of question marks going into the season. Neil Walker isn't one of them, he's a good, consistent player. But Lucas Duda is. His slumps really held the team back during the season. One bright spot for him is that after having long periods with terrible at bats he did seem to improve at the end of the year and in the playoffs and wasn't always swinging at bad pitches. But to assume this will be the norm is being optimistic. I can only go by what I've seen of him and he's brutally inconsistent. I'm also not confident about Wright. He is not a big time player at this stage of his career. But I hope both guys have great seasons. That would bail Sandy and the Wilpons out just the way our starting pitching and Cespy did last year. But great starting pitching isn't enough. You can't have bottom of the league offense if you want to win. The Mets didn't last year until they made those deals. 

First why would any Mets fan be against giving Cespy a competitive deal. There's a big hole without him in the lineup. And the only reason we made the playoffs last year was because we added him. We have the starting pitching and the closer to win and some good position players but overall the offense and depth is just average or below average. We could take a chance and get lucky or wait until the trade deadline. But our team payroll of reportedly (by Sandy) 115 is very low. I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

Again you're just reposting the same old nonsense.

Show us how our entire roster is Pacific Coast League?  It's already been pointed out that the line-up as it stands today is better than last seasons first half one and that there were reasons other than Cespedes that caused the team to take off. 

Points to consider: Does Cespedes want to play CF?.....can he play CF long term? Why did he have his career year in his contact year?  Also your logic in an earlier post saying Sandy is hoping Herrera is MLB ready based on his Neise trade is silly.

If Cespedes doesn't sign here we get a bat at the deadline if needed....I'd take Joey Bats if available as he is in a walk year with Toronto.

First why would any Mets fan be against giving Cespy a competitive deal. There's a big hole without him in the lineup. And the only reason we made the playoffs last year was because we added him. We have the starting pitching and the closer to win and some good position players but overall the offense and depth is just average or below average. We could take a chance and get lucky or wait until the trade deadline. But our team payroll of reportedly (by Sandy) 115 is very low. I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

First: what are talking about regarding Mets fans arguing against a competitive deal? Like wtf yo?

You're claiming that the season is coming down to Cespy signing or not....and that's just stupid and clueless.

As of right now it appears that the Mets are in competition for Cespy. Irregardless of some fans whining and whimpering about offering him some ridiculous long term monster deal just weeks ago......

And the team is way way way ahead of last year at this time. You're just droning on and on with some serious tired sh*t

Again you're just reposting the same old nonsense.

Show us how our entire roster is Pacific Coast League?  It's already been pointed out that the line-up as it stands today is better than last seasons first half one and that there were reasons other than Cespedes that caused the team to take off. 

Points to consider: Does Cespedes want to play CF?.....can he play CF long term? Why did he have his career year in his contact year?  Also your logic in an earlier post saying Sandy is hoping Herrera is MLB ready based on his Neise trade is silly.

If Cespedes doesn't sign here we get a bat at the deadline if needed....I'd take Joey Bats if available as he is in a walk year with Toronto.

OK so what were the team's offensive stats before and after those late July trades. Bottom of the league before near the top after. The Mets don't even make the playoffs and probably only finish around .500 without those deals. The CF topic is a lot of nonsense. Cespy can play center or shift between center and left field. He's a lot more essential to the Mets in 2016 than either Lagares or Conforto who is being overrated by overzealous fans. He is a good young player but not a proven player yet. He is not in Cespy's class. And while the lineup might be better than a year ago it isn't better than it was 4 months ago. And that's where you make the comparison.

First: what are talking about regarding Mets fans arguing against a competitive deal? Like wtf yo?

You're claiming that the season is coming down to Cespy signing or not....and that's just stupid and clueless.

As of right now it appears that the Mets are in competition for Cespy. Irregardless of some fans whining and whimpering about offering him some ridiculous long term monster deal just weeks ago......

And the team is way way way ahead of last year at this time. You're just droning on and on with some serious tired sh*t

It's not just about Cespy. It's about not really being competitive for free agents. And having one of the lowest payrolls in the league. You obviously are ok with that.

It's not just about Cespy. It's about not really being competitive for free agents. And having one of the lowest payrolls in the league. You obviously are ok with that.

You're obviously trippin' bro.

You're obviously free to think whatever you're imagination can muster. 

Who the **** did they just sign to the bullpen? Don't bother with the Cespy tie in to the move....for the love God. Wow, Holy sh*t

WTF is this Cespy sh*t. It's Yo, Ces, Cadillac Yoham, Cespedes Fortherestofus, or La Potencia. I can tolerate a lot of your sh*t, but making up your own nicknames is where I draw the line.

The Mets have agreed to terms with free-agent LH reliever Antonio Bastardo, according to Jon Heyman (Jan. 20).

The deal will be for $12 million over two years, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (Jan. 20).

Bastardo, 30, posted a 2.98 ERA and 1.13 WHIP last season for the Pirates while striking out 64 batters in 57 1/3 innings. He had reportedly been seeking a three-year deal. 

Bastardo has been effective against both left-handers and right-handers during his seven-year career, with lefties hitting .178 with a .277 OBP and .319 SLG against him and righties hitting .211 with a .308 OBP and .332 SLG.

Along with the Mets, the Dodgers, Orioles, and Blue Jays had also been linked to Bastardo.

Very excited about this move. Bullpen worries me more than the offense does at this point.

Bastardo is a solid relief guy, that was a good signing.

Now get Cespedes and I'm a pretty happy dude. 

You can never have enough pitching, starting or bullpen.  2 year deal, low risk, good ERA, good strikeouts, not too old where he should fade.  Good signing.

Basically what I read from either Cespy or his agent was that he wants to come back to the Mets. But he won't give the Mets a hometown discount. They said if offers were equal he'd choose the Mets. If he signs with the Nats this means our two best hitters from 2015 are in Washington. Latest is that the Mets have offered him a 3 year deal with an opt out for Yo after one season. Which means if he has a huge season he can be a FA again. But Wash has offered him five years. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14625273/yoenis-cespedes-new-york-mets-discuss-3-year-deal-opt-first-season

When panic comes from a snow storm, people buy bread and milk.

What happens when there is panic with Mets moves, do people run out and buy Rangers tickets?

No panic, it's just that as a long time Mets fan I'd like to see the team be competitive in the off season just like any contending team does. Whatever the case I'll root for them 100% even though I despise their ownership. I blame a lot of this on the Commissioner's office for consistently backing the Wilpons. Not only Bud Selig but the new Commish too. They are letting them water down the MLB brand in it's most major market. 

No panic, it's just that as a long time Mets fan I'd like to see the team be competitive in the off season just like any contending team does. Whatever the case I'll root for them 100% even though I despise their ownership. I blame a lot of this on the Commissioner's office for consistently backing the Wilpons. Not only Bud Selig but the new Commish too. They are letting them water down the MLB brand in it's most major market. 

Yup. last year was the last straw for me too. Sucks we have to put up with this.

Yeah, that was utter bs Familia blowing that save in Game 1. And Cespy not hitting the whole series. Unacceptable was the state of affairs with the team at that point.

I really don't know what your point is. If you're satisfied with the direction of the org then ok. IMO just like last summer I knew with our pitching we had a great opportunity to compete and maybe make a run of it. Same with this season but you need more offense. You don't give up your two best bats to someone in your division.

I really don't know what your point is. If you're satisfied with the direction of the org then ok. IMO just like last summer I knew with our pitching we had a great opportunity to compete and maybe make a run of it. Same with this season but you need more offense. You don't give up your two best bats to someone in your division.

Lol.

Archived