2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

2 hours ago, faba said:

From SNY

Mets GM Sandy Alderson said that the team may add a bullpen arm before the trade deadline.

"I think realistically, the bullpen is the area we can get someone," Alderson said, according to Anthony DiComo.

Alderson also said that the Mets are unlikely to acquire a starting pitcher or a position player.

The GM said that other teams have been asking for top-tier prospects from the Mets, but he is unwilling to deal them, according to Laura Albanese

We'll have to see and hope that asking prices go down as the deadline approaches next Monday.  I think we could use an SP.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to go to Cooperstown all the time as a kid for Hall of Fame weekend.  Really sad I wasn't able to make this one.  Griffey was my absolute favorite player to watch growing up, and throw in Piazza so I could have worn my Mets gear with pride.  Easiest HOF draft class to support since 1999. 

Oh well.  Hall of Fame weekend isn't quite what it used to be from what I heard, anyways.  They don't have a lot of the activities leading up to the week like they used to:  The exhibition game at Doubleday Field, full day autograph session and Golf tournament at the Otesaga Hotel all have gone away from what I've heard. 

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I used to go to Cooperstown all the time as a kid for Hall of Fame weekend.  Really sad I wasn't able to make this one.  Griffey was my absolute favorite player to watch growing up, and throw in Piazza so I could have worn my Mets gear with pride.  Easiest HOF draft class to support since 1999. 

Oh well.  Hall of Fame weekend isn't quite what it used to be from what I heard, anyways.  They don't have a lot of the activities leading up to the week like they used to:  The exhibition game at Doubleday Field, full day autograph session and Golf tournament at the Otesaga Hotel all have gone away from what I've heard. 

Had a few buddies go this year for Piazza and they just camped, then snuck onto the hotel shuttles. Cost of rooms was so outrageous, they just said **** it.

The Mets will call up left-hander Josh Smoker as the 26th man for Tuesday's doubleheader against the Cardinals.

Smoker, 27, has posted a 4.73 ERA and 67/18 K/BB ratio in 45 2/3 innings with Triple-A Las Vegas this season. He'll be making his major league debut if he gets into a game.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets will call up left-hander Josh Smoker as the 26th man for Tuesday's doubleheader against the Cardinals.

Smoker, 27, has posted a 4.73 ERA and 67/18 K/BB ratio in 45 2/3 innings with Triple-A Las Vegas this season. He'll be making his major league debut if he gets into a game.

Think the long relief concerns right now are more for Bartolo than Verrett. Like last year Tolo is losing a lot off his stuff as they get later into July. And Verrett actually has been pretty decent as their 5th starter through 3 starts.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Think the long relief concerns right now are more for Bartolo than Verrett. Like last year Tolo is losing a lot off his stuff as they get later into July. And Verrett actually has been pretty decent as their 5th starter through 3 starts.

I had forgotten about Smoker, honestly. I don't think he projects as a long reliever, over the long haul. It is shocking that his ERA is that high, with the k/innings ratio that he has. Maybe he is a byproduct of the Las Vegas thin air.

I had herd Ynoa's name recently as a projected possible call-up

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I had forgotten about Smoker, honestly. I don't think he projects as a long reliever, over the long haul. It is shocking that his ERA is that high, with the k/innings ratio that he has. Maybe he is a byproduct of the Las Vegas thin air.

I had herd Ynoa's name recently as a projected possible call-up

Thor and Matz each have another start before the deadline. I am wondering if Sandy is just going to wait and see how it goes and take it from there, because both looked an awful lot like their old selves recently. Seems like any trade out there, someone is going to want one of the infield prospects that we have in return and Sandy looks like he's standing pat on all those guys, (which he should).

well first game another example of lack of clutch hitting and trouble against lefthanders with our lineup when St Louis brought them in. St Louis is one of our competition so a bad loss in first game

49 minutes ago, faba said:

well first game another example of lack of clutch hitting and trouble against lefthanders with our lineup when St Louis brought them in. St Louis is one of our competition so a bad loss in first game

Tueffel has to try and send Reyes on the Cespedes double. Had to be thinking that the whole way. too conservative there.

47 minutes ago, faba said:

We had their SP on the ropes so many times yet came away with only 2 runs.  It's getting to be insane.  Schedule is soft down the stretch so need to find a way to hang around until the bats heat up. Just get in to the post season and see what our staff can do again. 

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That's what I'm saying. Cubs did us a big favor by getting Chapman away from them. Now as long as someone else can deny them Miller.

I think he stays put......Yanks are on a little bit of a roll now. Maybe they even become buyers as crazy as that sounded a few days ago.

When I saw the Gnats Bullpen gave it up yesterday I was happy. When I saw that it was actually Ollie and Papelbon I almost came.......beautiful

Hopefully Wash has their fair share of adversity before this is over....

We need Conforto and/or d'Arnaud to get hot. Or any combo of a couple of guys for that matter. Obviously.

But the two mentioned preferably to compliment Ces....

and hope that Jose has just a minor setback...

17 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I think he stays put......Yanks are on a little bit of a roll now. Maybe they even become buyers as crazy as that sounded a few days ago.

I don't think they buy, but Miller is under control on a good contract for 2 more years, and I don't think they want to blow up their whole pen for next year.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Hopefully Wash has their fair share of adversity before this is over...

I also wish them their share combined with everybody else's of adversity.

Having duh duh Dusty to mis-manage all that talent should provide sufficient hardship ... but just in case it doesn't

That was a terrible emotional swing for the team last night in going from Cespedes huge blast to Familia blowing it in the ninth.

Gotta hope that the team has and shows the character to not fall into a rut after that one.  

That really was a tough loss, Familia's been playing with fire for awhile now. They were bound to get burned. At least now we don't have to hear about that streak.

I am not sure how much to hang last night on Fams. The Mets stranded runners on in four separate innings last night, twice having guys on third. The standard he was beginning to be held to was just unfair. You can't expect zero runs from your closer every single time you send him out there.

I am really starting to question if this team has what it takes to make a run. That was the type of game that last year's team wins and there's really no excuses to be made for all the runners they've left on this entire summer. They have handed away at least 10 wins and teams that make things like this a trend don't fare too well in Sept. There is still plenty of time left, but it looks like this is the offense that we are rolling with and there probably isn't going to be any Ces-like additions at the deadline. So if this lineup can't get its act together fast when it comes to RISP then this season is going to be a letdown.

Familia has been on the edge recently and barely getting out of situations. It's caught up with him. But usually he has a slump and then pitches good and consistent after that. Hopefully he returns to form if we make a run in Aug or Sept. If the bats wake up that is. 

Nimmo back up w/the big club.  Looks like Lagares and the thumb he's been trying to play through are headed to the DL but nothing announced yet.

Also, Rosenthal tweeted that the Brewers re-engaged the Mets in Lucroy talks today. No deal close so take it for what it's worth.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bases loaded with zero outs and we're talking about Familia giving up a run. Come on.

Steve Sommers on the FAN put it pretty well when he said Collins effectively took BOTH deGrom AND Cespedes out of the game by sending Yo up to hit for deGrom with 2nd and 3rd and no outs. Cespedes gets the intentional walk and the rest is history.

Still, Familia has had a rough two days and the team desperately needs some sort of lift from somewhere as a result.  

49 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Steve Sommers on the FAN put it pretty well when he said Collins effectively took BOTH deGrom AND Cespedes out of the game by sending Yo up to hit for deGrom with 2nd and 3rd and no outs. Cespedes gets the intentional walk and the rest is history.

Still, Familia has had a rough two days and the team desperately needs some sort of lift from somewhere as a result.  

He slumped last year around the same time. I think he'll be fine. This lineup just can't move runners. If I'm Terry I'm playing Nimmo immediately. He's a crowd favorite and brought energy to the lineup. Said it when they did it and I still think that was a huge mistake sending him back down.

Any way you look at it this is a huge 48 hours for the future of the Mets. Lot of tough decisions to make regarding what they want to chase this year vs keeping the IF prospects they have lineup for 2017 and 2018.

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Mets are among the teams that have expressed interest in Jay Bruce.

The feeling had been that the Mets likely were just shopping for a reliever, but that thinking may be shifting with them being connected to Jonathan Lucroy and now Bruce. Bruce wouldn't be a perfect fit, as they could use someone who could play center field, but the Mets appear to be thinking bat first, defense second here.

Archived