adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are trading outfielder Brandon Nimmo and two low-level prospects for Reds outfielder Jay Bruce.

It sounds like the deal will be finalized within the hour. Bruce holds a $13 million club option for 2017, so he can act as insurance if Yoenis Cespedes opts out of his contract following the 2016 season. Bruce, 29, boasts an .875 OPS with 25 home runs and 80 RBI through 97 games this season with Cincinnati.

I like the deal pending the prospects.

Buster Olney reports Mets are still in talks trying to  acquire Jonathan Lucroy.

That is on top of their soon-to-be-completed trade for Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. Lucroy is also known to be drawing serious interest from the Rangers. The 30-year-old catcher has batted .299/.359/.482 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 95 games this season for the Brewers. He is earning $4 million in 2016 with a bargain $5.25 million club option for 2017.

Hate losing Nimmo in the Bruce deal but if they make the deal, it does cover the possibility of Cespedes leaving at least for next season due to Bruce's club option.  Sounds like Sandy wants to win this year and if Nimmo is the only big prospect we part with I guess we have to live with that. 
  • Upvote 1

I haven't watched Bruce too closely this year, but I had him as a fantasy player for a long stretch... he used to strike out a ton. Has he improved his strikeout rate? His power numbers are fine. No issues there. 

Will be interesting to see what Nimmo turns into, but I think the deal makes sense. Especially if they land Lucroy as well. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I haven't watched Bruce too closely this year, but I had him as a fantasy player for a long stretch... he used to strike out a ton. Has he improved his strikeout rate? His power numbers are fine. No issues there. 

Will be interesting to see what Nimmo turns into, but I think the deal makes sense. Especially if they land Lucroy as well. 

His K's at a quick glance look down a little this season but yeah, he's usually one of those 150 K's a year guys.

I liked Nimmo.  Since I don't think this move puts them over the top.  I is sad.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I liked Nimmo.  Since I don't think this move puts them over the top.  I is sad.

Same here on Nimmo but this makes the line-up better and if they somehow add Lucroy without overpaying they should score runs.

The Bruce move does make me wonder just how bad Cespedes calf or knee issues are.

There was a time when Nimmo was thought to basically have the upside of a 4th outfielder.  His ceiling has grown a bit since that time, but he's still not a game-changing player IMO.  Bruce CAN be with his power and speed combination, so while this deal doesn't "put us over the top" on its own, it does make us better for the next 2-3 years.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Same here on Nimmo but this makes the line-up better and if they somehow add Lucroy without overpaying they should score runs.

The Bruce move does make me wonder just how bad Cespedes calf or knee issues are.

Yeah, I'm sure it's for the best right now, but still sad.  I don't know, just loved seeing Nimmo with that huge smile on his face.  Pictured him as a real favorite down the road.  I suppose you can't argue with getting the league leader in RBIs for one top and two low-level prospects.

• Upvote 1

Sounding like the Brewers would want Dilson in any deal for Lucroy.  If I'm Sandy I tell them to go f*ck themselves.

On 1/23/2016 at 1:13 AM, RutgersJetFan said:
2 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Lucroy is also one of the best throwing catchers in baseball. Still don't have a CF. Think Grandy may have to go in any Brewer trade...don't think Mets will trade Conforto.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's for the best right now, but still sad.  I don't know, just loved seeing Nimmo with that huge smile on his face.  Pictured him as a real favorite down the road.  I suppose you can't argue with getting the league leader in RBIs for one top and two low-level prospects.

MLB channel is reporting that there is a hold-up in the Bruce deal.

2 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

MLB channel is reporting that there is a hold-up in the Bruce deal.

Saw it on ESPN... Medical issue...

12 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Nimmo's records....torn tendon from earlier in ankle.

That should probably pass through, I'd think.  He's show no issue in playing.

Assuming the Bruce deal is reworked, I wonder what the outfield alignment will be?  Curtis in CF and Conforto off the bench?  It is a slightly odd deal unless Cespedes is worse off then we know. 

4 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Assuming the Bruce deal is reworked, I wonder what the outfield alignment will be?  Curtis in CF and Conforto off the bench?  It is a slightly odd deal unless Cespedes is worse off then we know. 

5 of next 7 days are "DH games, so they don't have to show hand immediately, and can keep Cespedes off the field.

Hard for me to imagine Granderson playing much CF. It is going to be a bunch of mix and match.

I guess this provides Mets insurance, should Cespedes opt out next year

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

5 of next 7 days are "DH games, so they don't have to show hand immediately, and can keep Cespedes off the field.

Hard for me to imagine Granderson playing much CF. It is going to be a bunch of mix and match.

I guess this provides Mets insurance, should Cespedes opt out next year

They don't have much of a chance this year unless they get a hitter into the middle of the lineup. If they landed Lucroy it would be a good chance then I think.

If at least Bruce or Lucroy stuck through next year, with Ces, our team would be a lot better then. The situation is untenable as it is .

Hate to lose Nimmo, it was really nice to see him advance, but that's a good trade as long as the others guys are lower level.

12 minutes ago, adb280z said:

What part don't you like?

I'm a big Nimmo fan and have been for a few years now. Always saw him as a cornerstone player and future leader of the team. What I saw from him this year in limited time supported that. 

I'm a big Nimmo fan and have been for a few years now. Always saw him as a cornerstone player and future leader of the team. What I saw from him this year in limited time supported that. 

Ok, I saw him as a 4th outfielder. Mediocre defense, power and speed. Gets on base but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Ok, I saw him as a 4th outfielder. Mediocre defense, power and speed. Gets on base but that's about it.

I saw him similarly. Don't think that he has the aptitude to play CF on a daily basis defensively, and he would not be a good fit in the corner, where you want to have power.

I love it.  Especially if they're looking to salvage this season.

While you have to love Nimmo's energy (which should be expected from someone called up mid-season his age), I dont think his ceiling was very high.  Average in the field, ok at the plate...more of an average guy than a power guy, which in todays game is good but nothing you cant live without.  I just think that he was the most expendable one of the prospects and you cant deny that Bruce should significantly help being a historically bad team with RISP.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, adb280z said:

We'll see. Also not sure how I feel about another left handed corner OF. The Mets needed a guy who can hit in runs but literally anywhere but there. And all this does is make the CF conundrum worse.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We'll see. Also not sure how I feel about another left handed corner OF. The Mets needed a guy who can hit in runs but literally anywhere but there. And all this does is make the CF conundrum worse.

How long is Bruce signed for?