2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets better make the playoffs this year and win a ring within the next two considering what we've given up for bats over the last couple years. Face value the Bruce trade looks like complete sh*t, Zambrano/Kazmir level sh*t. I'm just going to pray to Christ that Sandy knows better than any of us and that's that. 

Shedding Bastardo's salary is fine. Had that been the only move they made today we'd all be psyched. 

Last years Fullmer deal was worth the great ride the team took us on but yeah....today's deal we best make the play-offs while keeping in mind that it does buy us insurance on Cespedes moving on. In that light maybe Sandy feels he needs to go for it while Cespedes is here for certain. Never thought I'd see Granderson in a platoon roll if they split AB's with Conforto. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Exactly what they needed? They have plenty of hrs and strikeouts.

Bruce is having a big year. He is batting .265 with 25 hrs and 80 rbis. There was nobody available with those kind of numbers. I'll take that over Dilson Herrera. I'll also take Neil Walker over him. 

5 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Last years Fullmer deal was worth the great ride the team took us on but yeah....today's deal we best make the play-offs while keeping in mind that it does buy us insurance on Cespedes moving on. In that light maybe Sandy feels he needs to go for it while Cespedes is here for certain. Never thought I'd see Granderson in a platoon roll if they split AB's with Conforto. 

Fulmer so far is turning out to be a great pickup for the Tigers. But I'd do it again in a minute. If not for that deal no 2015 WS (even though we lost). Bruce could energize the Mets and they needed something. If he can produce near that level. I'm not a big Sandy fan but I think he did a good job today.

27 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

The Mets needed a right handed hitter that could play the infield. The one place they were set at defensively was the OF corners. The one position they didn't have set for next year was second base.  So what do they do? Trade for a lefty bat that's a corner outfielder for their top 2nd base prospect that was major league ready. I mean come on with this.

15 minutes ago, faba said:

Well count me as surprised we gave up on Herrera- I assumed like everyone else that is why we let Murphy go. Hope this does not backfire on us

I'm in favor of going for it this year when you're in contention. Bruce has a well over .300 BA with runners in scoring position: over a hundred points over the Mets team average. Herrera was hitting .276 in Vegas but with decent power. But let's face it almost everybody we send there hits well over .300 in the PCL. 

The Murphy move made sense because, well Murphy, and they got a draft choice out of that. 

My hopes on Herrera were high 2 years ago (like a lot of others), but Herrera has slipped in the minds of many.

he does not seem to be as a sure thing, as he once was. Let's wait to evaluate this.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Murphy move made sense because, well Murphy, and they got a draft choice out of that. 

My hopes on Herrera were high 2 years ago (like a lot of others), but Herrera has slipped in the minds of many.

he does not seem to be as a sure thing, as he once was. Let's wait to evaluate this.

Look, a lot of teams today traded good prospects for MLB players who could take them to the playoffs. The Yankees basically rebuilt their minor league org. I don't think we really gave up so much. 

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I hope you get a papercut some time this week. Right between your thumb and index finger on the hand taint. That's what you deserve for supporting this.

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets needed a right handed hitter that could play the infield. The one place they were set at defensively was the OF corners. The one position they didn't have set for next year was second base.  So what do they do? Trade for a lefty bat that's a corner outfielder for their top 2nd base prospect that was major league ready. I mean come on with this.

That's why I am afraid that the next bomb to drop is that Cespedes is in a bad way. I like the trade but it made much more sense for Nimmo and if we also added Lucroy or Pearce.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I hope you get a papercut some time this week. Right between your thumb and index finger on the hand taint. That's what you deserve for supporting this.

I am taking the tacit approach of trying to understand the Herrera conundrum. 

Why has he slipped in the minds of talent evaluators? Why do those people like Cecchini more (I didn't). What will Herrera be?

Last year when Fulmor got traded, it was universally agreed that the Mets gave up a big piece.  i am not sure this was such a big piece, as it may be a declining in value piece.

What this move today told us was that Sandy valued Nimmo plus whomever the other second level piece was, more than Herrera and that piece. That tells me something. We all know what a hard bargain he drives.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am taking the tacit approach of trying to understand the Herrera conundrum. 

Why has he slipped in the minds of talent evaluators? Why do those people like Cecchini more (I didn't). What will Herrera be?

Last year when Fulmor got traded, it was universally agreed that the Mets gave up a big piece.  i am not sure this was such a big piece, as it may be a declining in value piece.

What this move today told us was that Sandy valued Nimmo plus whomever the other second level piece was, more than Herrera and that piece. That tells me something. We all know what a hard bargain he drives.

Where have you read that he slipped in the eyes of the org?

I don't think any Mets fans ever thought that Murphy would be leading the league in hitting in August. We knew he was a very good hitter and a guy who had a huge playoffs last year. Based on what we read Sandy was never in love with him because of his OBP and erratic fielding. And their plan was to start Herrera next year and not have to pay Murphy who wanted to stay with the Mets badly. The Mets didn't offer him the multiyear deal he wanted but gave him the 15 mil figure so if he signed somewhere they'd get a draft pick. I don't think they ever thought he'd sign with Wash who got him for a good price, 3-37. Being on a good hitting team hasn't hurt and he's thrived with them. And nobody complained when we traded for Neil Walker. Sandy said today they have a plan for 2nd base, basically what he said was they have other players. 

42 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Where have you read that he slipped in the eyes of the org?

Well, for one, he got traded. 

Alderson, in his entire history, has never, never relented on giving up on someone, or trading for someone, that he felt was of value. That has been a constant MO of his.

When the Mets need middle infield help, who did they turn to from the minors this year? Matt Reynolds. Not Herrera. 

Is this to say that Herrera is a bum? of course not. But, his progression has not been great, and he has slipped in rankings by others outside the organization. Apparently, inside the org too.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

For whatever reason Herrera star had slipped in the minds of prospect analysts and touts. 

He had slipped out of top 100 lists (behind Cecchini BTW).

Who knows what to believe? It will be interesting to see what he can do

This^^

No where have I seen where we thought Herrera was a can't miss star either, and he has not been in the picture for the immediate future either. I have not been impressed with the little I've seen. I'm glad we didn't lose Nimmo

The main guys down below are Rosario and Smith. They're are a few others that have raised their standing also.

They needed a bat in the middle of the lineup more than anythin, and that includes next year....Especially without landing Lucroy. Bruce has reached his prime and is a top power hitter right now

Getting Niese was a good move too. **** Bastardo. It was good to cut bait with him.

I don't feel bad about this at all

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Aaaaaand we're playing Ruggiano again. Unreal.

Lol...

It is brutal watching him and the ball bouncing around out there. As soon we lose him that'll be a positive haha

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Lol...

It is brutal watching him and the ball bouncing around out there. As soon we lose him that'll be a positive haha

I love how we just signed this bum off the street and then basically told both Nimmo and Conforto to go have a seat. Then they have to watch this bum cock it up both in the field and at the plate.

Each team kind of replenishes their org every year via the MLB draft. And some of the guys selected, the better college players like Conforto was are almost MLB ready. And teams use these guys as chips when they want to make trades to get a piece they think can help them in the short run. So there's guys in the org to replace Herrera. Teams like the Cubs are going for it and doing a rebuild even when they're in first place. After today I think we at least have a chance to make the playoffs. Before today little chance. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think any Mets fans ever thought that Murphy would be leading the league in hitting in August. We knew he was a very good hitter and a guy who had a huge playoffs last year. Based on what we read Sandy was never in love with him because of his OBP and erratic fielding. And their plan was to start Herrera next year and not have to pay Murphy who wanted to stay with the Mets badly. The Mets didn't offer him the multiyear deal he wanted but gave him the 15 mil figure so if he signed somewhere they'd get a draft pick. I don't think they ever thought he'd sign with Wash who got him for a good price, 3-37. Being on a good hitting team hasn't hurt and he's thrived with them. And nobody complained when we traded for Neil Walker. Sandy said today they have a plan for 2nd base, basically what he said was they have other players. 

Even Murphy never expected this season or he would have took our qualifying offer which I think was 15 mill and then had the world at his feet this off season as a Free Agent. He lost money by signing the deal that he did in hindsight....both his and ours.

Just now, GimmeShelter said:

Even Murphy never expected this season or he would have took our qualifying offer which I think was 15 mill and then had the world at his feet this off season as a Free Agent. He lost money by signing the deal that he did in hindsight....both his and ours.

I don't really think Sandy wanted him to take that one year deal. He offered it because he wanted to get the draft pick and thought that somebody would give him that kind of a contract. The surprising thing so far is his power. I think his average will drop and he'll end up around .310-320. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I love how we just signed this bum off the street and then basically told both Nimmo and Conforto to go have a seat. Then they have to watch this bum cock it up both in the field and at the plate.

You make a fair point. I have no answer for that one, lol. Except that he's batting RH against the Lefty. **** him for real. Get him the **** outta here

The ******* Lagares injury was a kick in the balls for me. 

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

You make a fair point. I have no answer for that one, lol. Except that he's batting RH against the Lefty. **** him for real. Get him the **** outta here

The ******* Lagares injury was a kick in the balls for me. 

No. We can't let Conforto face lefties. Ever. He's just going to be a righty only utility player for his career. God forbid he faces a lefty. Have to play Anthony Ruggiano.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No. We can't let Conforto face lefties. Ever. He's just going to be a righty only utility player for his career. God forbid he faces a lefty. Have to play Anthony Ruggiano.

I guess they wanna protect him still after he slumped. I've wanted to see Nimmo out in CF myself but I guess it's the same thing with him too.

Ha there ya go....He's hurt hahaha

Rather see De Aza out there me myself

I think right now Terry is doing anything he can to generate offense and score runs. Since the team can't hit with guys in scoring position. Trying different combinations. The Ruggiano acquisition was similar to acquiring Loney. I think they were both in the Texas org. And very inexpensive. His defense isn't elegant that's for sure. But in the past he was an adequate if not better offensive player. But definitely not a starter. As of tomorrow he's probably not on the team. 

Mets make moves to salvage season.  Fan base gets a little lift of wind and hope under their wings.  You hope it motivates your team.  

Yankees makes moves for the future waving the white flag on the season.  Fan base relaxes and understands this isnt their year.

The very first game after all these moves; the Mets go out and choke away a victory to that very team that just waved the white flag on the season.

You cant make that up.  This team.  Ugh.  I'm really just resigned to the fact, this just isnt their year.  Blame it on injuries, blame it on World Series hang over, blame it on Murphy lol...it's just not happening this year.  Let's be real.  Nothing is breaking in the Mets direction this season.  They finally start moving base runners a little bit and they've choked away victories in the late innings.  If it aint one thing, its a mother****ing nother. 

The only thing we can hope for at this point, is that they get a little healthy and go on a win streak because I think the reality is, the last 2 weeks have closed the book on the Mets in 2016.  I hope I'm wrong, I dont think I am but at this point...the writing is on the wall with this team. They cant get out of their own way.

Archived