2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mets make moves to salvage season.  Fan base gets a little lift of wind and hope under their wings.  You hope it motivates your team.  

Yankees makes moves for the future waving the white flag on the season.  Fan base relaxes and understands this isnt there year.

The very first game after all these moves; the Mets go out and choke away a victory to that very team that just waved the white flag on the season.

You cant make that up.  This team.  Ugh.  I'm really just resigned to the fact, this just isnt there year.  Blame it on injuries, blame it on World Series hang over, blame it on Murphy lol...it's just not happening this year.  Let's be real.  Nothing is breaking in the Mets direction this season.  They finally start moving base runners a little bit and they've choked away victories in the late innings.  If it aint one thing, its a mother****ing nother. 

The only thing we can hope for at this point, is that they get a little healthy and go on a win streak because I think the reality is, the last 2 weeks have closed the book on the Mets in 2016.  I hope I'm wrong, I dont think I am but at this point...the writing is on the wall with this team. They cant get out of their own way.

^^^ This post coupled with, perhaps, a change in JiF's avatar, will save the Mets season.  Guarantee it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

^^^ This post coupled with, perhaps, a change in JiF's avatar, will save the Mets season.  Guarantee it.

They all suck at baseball.  Every single one of them.  Even that sexy mofo Yo.  He's terrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

The reality is that this has been a below average team for 3 months now.  We were 15-7 at the end of April; we are 54-51 now.  We are 5 games under .500 for the last 3 months.  Just not a very good baseball team.  Last night was just another example of bad baseball.  6 walks, an error, a wild pitch, stolen base ny the opposing catcher, 1 for 7 with RISP.  Never take an extra base while giving up bases all night.  When is the last time a Met player had an at bat like Gregorius had in the 8th inning.  He must have fouled off 3 or 4 tough pitches to keep the at bat alive, while our guys wave at 3rd strikes or we swing at the first pitch and hit weak pop ups or ground outs.

I keep saying there is still time, and there is, but the quality of the baseball being played has to improve significantly.  Maybe Bruce's presence in the lineup will make a difference, but it is hard to be optimistic right now.  When you go 3 months without playing good baseball, injuries may be part of the reason, but maybe it also means you are just not a very good baseball team.;

The moves made yesterday were not only for this year, but also a hedge for next year. ie should Cespedes opt out, the Mets still have Bruce in the fold. Or they can keep both and trade Granderson.

I am still not sure what Herrera will become. It will be interesting to see. I can live with Flores at second base next year, if they get a real 3b.

57 minutes ago, Lith said:

The reality is that this has been a below average team for 3 months now.  We were 15-7 at the end of April; we are 54-51 now.  We are 5 games under .500 for the last 3 months.  Just not a very good baseball team.  Last night was just another example of bad baseball.  6 walks, an error, a wild pitch, stolen base ny the opposing catcher, 1 for 7 with RISP.  Never take an extra base while giving up bases all night.  When is the last time a Met player had an at bat like Gregorius had in the 8th inning.  He must have fouled off 3 or 4 tough pitches to keep the at bat alive, while our guys wave at 3rd strikes or we swing at the first pitch and hit weak pop ups or ground outs.

I keep saying there is still time, and there is, but the quality of the baseball being played has to improve significantly.  Maybe Bruce's presence in the lineup will make a difference, but it is hard to be optimistic right now.  When you go 3 months without playing good baseball, injuries may be part of the reason, but maybe it also means you are just not a very good baseball team.;

Yep.  It's been very ugly, gutless baseball for 3 straight months.  Almost getting swept by the Rockies?  2 wins in a 8 game home stand vs average to below average teams?  

That's a joke.  This should have been run time.  But nope, choke choke choke, 

It's so Mets.  Soooo Mets. 

So the Mets have an insanely easy 3 weeks coming up on the schedule, that's followed up by a 12 game stretch during which they have series against St Louis, Philly, Miami, and Washington. There are no excuses for them getting beat out of a playoff spot, their fate is entirely in their own hands. Was having a discussion last night about this; hypothetically, if the Mets aren't right in the thick of things after coming out of that run, like 5 or 6 games out of the WC, (which is where they're headed at this rate), do you shut Thor and Matz down for the last month of the season? And maybe even Cespedes? I say yes. You've got Niese who can make a few starts, and maybe even give Ynoa a callup for a few starts to see what he's got.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just unreal. You're playing a team that just surrendered their season and you're fighting for your playoff lives. This is becoming a really hard team to like. Every night they find a new way to play gutless ball.

I hated that Terry played left match-up to start the 8th instead of just letting Reed who has been pitching well start the inning clean as opposed to with an inherited runner on base.

Also in the 9th, once we saw how petrified Betances was to throw the ball if hit to him, I would have bunted a second time with Rivera and Loney on 3rd...safety squeeze.

I was in and out of the game due to work but I assume we were out of players to run for Loney?

Just now, GimmeShelter said:

I hated that Terry played left match-up to start the 8th instead of just letting Reed who has been pitching well start the inning clean as opposed to with an inherited runner on base.

Also in the 9th, once we saw how petrified Betances was to throw the ball if hit to him, I would have bunted a second time with Rivera and Loney on 3rd...safety squeeze.

I was in and out of the game due to work but I assume we were out of players to run for Loney?

Let me put it this way, he used Matz as a pinch hitter at one point.

8 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

They had doubled switched Rivera with Lugo. Rivera was the last bench player. They were short for the day both in bullpen and on bench. 

Have you seen Loney run? A turtle would get home faster. 

The mets need to get the hell out of Las Vegas and get a AAA team that is closer.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

Does he have to clear waivers first?

I think he was DNA'd. I believe the Indians have 10 ays to either put him back on 40 man or treade him), and then waivers

All mlb teams have the chance to claim him and pick up his salary (I wouldn't). If he clears waivers, then he can sign with who he wants.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2016/08/01/reports-jay-bruce-mets/87909594/

From the Cinci Enquirer, a couple of points:

-"Multiple" players that were in the initial deal failed the Reds physical. That means that Nimmo failed the their physical.

-Herrera has used up his rookie status (I was not aware). That is why you do not see him show up on "prospect lists" any more.

I still say that the Herrera star glow has dimmed some.

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If we're to assume Sandy Alderson and co. are still quality talent evaluators, this is the only possible way we can interpret Herrera's status.  The fact that we've had tons of infield injuries, but Herrera never got a call-up this year, is kind of a bad sign for him.

Not to mention, it seems possible the Reds wanted Nimmo more than Herrera, but "settled". 

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2016/08/01/reports-jay-bruce-mets/87909594/

From the Cinci Enquirer, a couple of points:

-"Multiple" players that were in the initial deal failed the Reds physical. That means that Nimmo failed the their physical.

-Herrera has used up his rookie status (I was not aware). That is why you do not see him show up on "prospect lists" any more.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we're to assume Sandy Alderson and co. are still quality talent evaluators, this is the only possible way we can interpret Herrera's status.  The fact that we've had tons of infield injuries, but Herrera never got a call-up this year, is kind of a bad sign for him.

Not to mention, it seems possible the Reds wanted Nimmo more than Herrera, but "settled". 

Yeah, it looks like he may have leveled off somewhat. A good player but maybe not necessarily a great player to utilize all his tools.

Sandy said the top prospect is Rosario and he's getting closer. We have like six other SS's in our top 30. It's a position of strength hopefully and 2nd base can be filled from there possibly.

We needed the bat. We still need a guy for the top of the order, but it may not have been Herrera in their estimation anyway. 

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yeah, it looks like he may have leveled off somewhat. A good player but maybe not necessarily a great player to utilize all his tools.

Sandy said the top prospect is Rosario and he's getting closer. We have like six other SS's in our top 30. It's a position of strength hopefully and 2nd base can be filled from there possibly.

We needed the bat. We still need a guy for the top of the order, but it may not have been Herrera in their estimation anyway. 

Rosario is supposed to be the real deal, and he is so young, and has been the youngest player at every level he has been. he is a wispy 6'2". 

Reyes (while he was doing his minor league stint), said that his jaw dropped in amazement at the abilities of the kid.

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Reyes (while he was doing his minor league stint), said that his jaw dropped in amazement at the abilities of the kid.

Reyes was referred to as a "phenom" quite a few times during his Minor League days, so this is pretty meaningful.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did Herrera have his chances too?  Did he get a couple of games and was rather mediocre?

I could be imagining that but I think I'm right. 

Just hold the fort and hopefully they'll both be okay. Just one hot streak, one decent 10-15 game stretch could put us in the middle of things

I'm still holding hope....a little anyway :mellow:

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Did Herrera have his chances too?  Did he get a couple of games and was rather mediocre?

You may be right, but after all we invested in him, if Sandy thinks his skills won't translate to the bigs long term, I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than I was just 2 days ago.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Herrera has had I think 160 at bats in the majors and hit around .220. Those numbers are off the top of my head. I had read that there was some concern that he did not hit better at Vegas

Archived