adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Mets are among the teams that have expressed interest in Jay Bruce.

The feeling had been that the Mets likely were just shopping for a reliever, but that thinking may be shifting with them being connected to Jonathan Lucroy and now Bruce. Bruce wouldn't be a perfect fit, as they could use someone who could play center field, but the Mets appear to be thinking bat first, defense second here.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just left the stadium. We couldn't even stay for the 9th. That is one of the most brutal games I have ever been to. If the Mets lose tomorrow we should consider being sellers at the deadline. This offense has zero heart and I don't see how they're supposed to change that fast enough to catch both the Marlins and Nats, or even make a run for the WC.

We are not sellers.  Had we won the two games we led in the ninth inning on Thurs-Friday this doom and gloom feeling wouldn't even exist. We do need a bat to breathe some life into the line-up. That or someone currently on the team needs to go off and carry us for a bit.

Lots of season left.  Team is due to start to hit with RISP. Nats trade today made the division a tough task but Thor or deGrom in the WC game is something I would take at this point. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Indians gave up a lot, for them it makes sense given their position. Not interested in that for us at all. 

I didn't see who was in their Lucroy offer.  Based on the Miller deal I wonder who is on the table for Lucroy?

Edit:  Never mind I see the Lucroy players now.

Per Rosenthal, the Brewers will receive four players from Cleveland including top catching prospect Francisco Mejia. Minor league OF Greg Allen and SS Yu-Cheng Chang will also head to Milwaukee if the deal goes through.

It will be an interesting 22 hours.  Tough spot fro Sandy.  I would keep pressing for Lucroy. 

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are trading outfielder Brandon Nimmo and two low-level prospects for Reds outfielder Jay Bruce.

It sounds like the deal will be finalized within the hour. Bruce holds a $13 million club option for 2017, so he can act as insurance if Yoenis Cespedes opts out of his contract following the 2016 season. Bruce, 29, boasts an .875 OPS with 25 home runs and 80 RBI through 97 games this season with Cincinnati.

I like the deal pending the prospects.

Buster Olney reports Mets are still in talks trying to  acquire Jonathan Lucroy.

That is on top of their soon-to-be-completed trade for Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. Lucroy is also known to be drawing serious interest from the Rangers. The 30-year-old catcher has batted .299/.359/.482 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 95 games this season for the Brewers. He is earning $4 million in 2016 with a bargain $5.25 million club option for 2017.

Hate losing Nimmo in the Bruce deal but if they make the deal, it does cover the possibility of Cespedes leaving at least for next season due to Bruce's club option.  Sounds like Sandy wants to win this year and if Nimmo is the only big prospect we part with I guess we have to live with that. 
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I haven't watched Bruce too closely this year, but I had him as a fantasy player for a long stretch... he used to strike out a ton. Has he improved his strikeout rate? His power numbers are fine. No issues there. 

Will be interesting to see what Nimmo turns into, but I think the deal makes sense. Especially if they land Lucroy as well. 

His K's at a quick glance look down a little this season but yeah, he's usually one of those 150 K's a year guys.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I liked Nimmo.  Since I don't think this move puts them over the top.  I is sad.

Same here on Nimmo but this makes the line-up better and if they somehow add Lucroy without overpaying they should score runs.

The Bruce move does make me wonder just how bad Cespedes calf or knee issues are.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yeah, I'm sure it's for the best right now, but still sad.  I don't know, just loved seeing Nimmo with that huge smile on his face.  Pictured him as a real favorite down the road.  I suppose you can't argue with getting the league leader in RBIs for one top and two low-level prospects.

MLB channel is reporting that there is a hold-up in the Bruce deal.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Saw it on ESPN... Medical issue...

Nimmo's records....torn tendon from earlier in ankle.

Assuming the Bruce deal is reworked, I wonder what the outfield alignment will be?  Curtis in CF and Conforto off the bench?  It is a slightly odd deal unless Cespedes is worse off then we know. 

Just now, Lith said:

I am seeing reports that its Dilson & Nimmo plus a 3rd prospect.  Just have to wait until the dust clears and see what it is.

I hope the dust looks a little better after it settles.....this is a far cry from Nimmo and two lower level prospects.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jeez, a lot more than a little.  This went from a favorable to deal to us basically getting hosed.  Nimmo is a borderline long-term starter who can't play CF.  Herrera is a future star. 

Agree. Sandy should have moved off this deal if that is the terms and focused on Lucroy. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I did see this... looks liek Lucroy fetched a good ransom

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, catcher Jonathan Lucroy has been traded to the Rangers.

Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz, the Rangers' No. 2 and No. 3 prospects are part of the return package for Milwaukee. Joey Gallo apparently is not. There should be something official soon with the 4:00 p.m. ET deadline fast approaching.

I think Texas got the Brewers closer as well.  Nothing posted yet.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deckerfan said:

Bruce improved his approach though. His defense I don't know about.

Yeah I think for that trade to be a win the Mets need a WS appearance while Bruce is under contract. Hopefully a friendly extension or move him this winter for a nice player as well.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

They gave up Bastardo to get him. Net win there.

Yeah but we thought Bastardo was going to serve us well this season. He sucked so I guess there is that.

Sandy saying he dealt from a position of strength for Bruce.

On Lucroy the Brewers could do better than what Mets could offer.

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets better make the playoffs this year and win a ring within the next two considering what we've given up for bats over the last couple years. Face value the Bruce trade looks like complete sh*t, Zambrano/Kazmir level sh*t. I'm just going to pray to Christ that Sandy knows better than any of us and that's that. 

Shedding Bastardo's salary is fine. Had that been the only move they made today we'd all be psyched. 

Last years Fullmer deal was worth the great ride the team took us on but yeah....today's deal we best make the play-offs while keeping in mind that it does buy us insurance on Cespedes moving on. In that light maybe Sandy feels he needs to go for it while Cespedes is here for certain. Never thought I'd see Granderson in a platoon roll if they split AB's with Conforto. 

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets needed a right handed hitter that could play the infield. The one place they were set at defensively was the OF corners. The one position they didn't have set for next year was second base.  So what do they do? Trade for a lefty bat that's a corner outfielder for their top 2nd base prospect that was major league ready. I mean come on with this.

That's why I am afraid that the next bomb to drop is that Cespedes is in a bad way. I like the trade but it made much more sense for Nimmo and if we also added Lucroy or Pearce.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think any Mets fans ever thought that Murphy would be leading the league in hitting in August. We knew he was a very good hitter and a guy who had a huge playoffs last year. Based on what we read Sandy was never in love with him because of his OBP and erratic fielding. And their plan was to start Herrera next year and not have to pay Murphy who wanted to stay with the Mets badly. The Mets didn't offer him the multiyear deal he wanted but gave him the 15 mil figure so if he signed somewhere they'd get a draft pick. I don't think they ever thought he'd sign with Wash who got him for a good price, 3-37. Being on a good hitting team hasn't hurt and he's thrived with them. And nobody complained when we traded for Neil Walker. Sandy said today they have a plan for 2nd base, basically what he said was they have other players. 

Even Murphy never expected this season or he would have took our qualifying offer which I think was 15 mill and then had the world at his feet this off season as a Free Agent. He lost money by signing the deal that he did in hindsight....both his and ours.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just unreal. You're playing a team that just surrendered their season and you're fighting for your playoff lives. This is becoming a really hard team to like. Every night they find a new way to play gutless ball.

I hated that Terry played left match-up to start the 8th instead of just letting Reed who has been pitching well start the inning clean as opposed to with an inherited runner on base.

Also in the 9th, once we saw how petrified Betances was to throw the ball if hit to him, I would have bunted a second time with Rivera and Loney on 3rd...safety squeeze.

I was in and out of the game due to work but I assume we were out of players to run for Loney?

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

X's and O's have never been his strong suit, but the reason we've always tolerated him is because Collins always kept the team fighting and competitive. It really seems like he has no idea what to do right now. This sh*t with sending out a totally different lineup every single night needs to stop. Maybe this team is so f'ing inconsistent because whenever they get any semblance of a rhythm going with anything, he completely changes the lineup and batting order. Enough.

He said Cespedes is headed to the DL so now he gets to Manage w/out him for at least the next 15 days.

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Sandy likes versatility in his players. But how about a couple of guys that are good at least at one position, that have an actual position, and that can actually hit at the same time.....Wilmer.

Sandy put together a better offense and much better defense last off season. Think about that...he actually improved on a line-up that was the best in the league from the trading deadline on last season while also getting better defensively.

Injuries suck and when your elite closer blows 3 games out of the blue as well it's easy to find fault with the GM or Manager. Terry will never be perfect for all the reasons mentioned in this thread but Sandy did a hell of a job last winter. You can't predict any of the injuries we've had other than David Wright's. Both the manager and the GM have been dealt an unexpectedly tough hand to play this season.

• Upvote 1

Tigers have been playing extremely well of late with no national attention. Need a big game out of Thor.

Stacking the lefties against Verlander.

DH

C. Granderson (L)

CF

A. De Aza (L)

2B

Neil Walker (S)

RF

Jay Bruce (L)

1B

James Loney (L)

3B

Kelly Johnson (L)

LF

Brandon Nimmo (L)

C

Rene Rivera (R)

SS

Matt Reynolds (R)

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No problem with that call last night. Two outs and the play requires a perfect throw and a perfect play at the plate. Hats off to Detroit, the Mets made the right call and the Tigers just made a great play on it.

Yep. It was good to actually see us hit in that situation for a change.  Just have to keep plugging away and hope we ctch a hot streak and some health along the way.

Bruce is a presence in the line-up. (Lucroy also doing well with 3 HR's for Texas already). 

This guy doing the play by play on SNY is a tough listen though....wow!.

Mets SS prospect Gavin Cecchini provided four hits Saturday in a win for Triple-A Las Vegas.
He singled three times, doubled and scored twice as the 51s held on for a 10-8 win over visiting Fresno. Saturday was Cecchini's fourth straight multi-hit game and his second four-hit contest of the year. He's hit .500 during his six-game hitting streak while boosting his average from .309 to .324. The 2012 first-round pick doesn't have much left to prove in the minor leagues. It's possible we could see him in the majors next month when rosters expand. Aug 7 - 4:04 PM
Source: MILB.com

I've liked how Reynolds has handled himself although not enough AB's to form too much of an opinion yet. Good to see we have other options on the way.

21 hours ago, Lith said:

I remember it well.  I was a 12 year old kid sitting in the stands at Shea Stadium that afternoon.  My first postseason game: Mets won big, Staub went deep and the Rose-Harrelson fight.  Thanks for bringing back the memory.

That was the series where Felix Millan (who I loved) had that huge error in game 1 which in hindsight probably cost us the series.

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If you want to kick start this team in mid August you bring in Wally not Scott. But the players on this team once again show they can't hit big league pitching. We know they can hit minor league pitching. Except for last year's offensive spurt it's been the same thing, an anemic offense for several years esp since getting rid of Beltran. But at least the org tried to significantly upgrade it by re-signing Cespedes, trading for Walker after Murphy left and trading for Bruce. Some of their younger players in 2016 just haven't come through like Travis and like Conforto.

Yep. Travis and Conforto really lengthened the line-up last season down the stretch. Throw in Duda and Curtis actually hitting and that's  4 bats that the team  has gotten nothing out of for the most part  this year. Never mind Cespedes, Wright, Reyes and Cabrerra being out on top of it.

Terry can't fix guys not hitting or being on the DL. The SP's also (due to minor or major injuries) have fell off except for deGrom and Colon. I think the team has one run left in them but they're sure digging a hole for themselves.

Good for Terry in calling them out publically.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, deucebag said:

I read that Sandy has been planning on Dick Scott being Terry Collins replacement for years now....consequently at about 6pm this evening Dick Scott will be named the next Mets manager.

Any link evidence to this claim?

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company