2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Colon vs. Reds Rookie today.

The Reds have really helped the Mets by sweeping a 4 game set from Miami and taking 2/3 vs. Cards

Maybe they can help us more by laying eggs over the next few days

Mets have had a lot to thank Cinci for the past few years. Had they not been asking too much for Bruce last year, we wouldn't be rooting for Cespedes every night. And we won the division there last year too. Hoping that being back there the next three days can serve to help keep settling Bruce down. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cecchini getting the call-up tomorrow. Wow. That's awesome. Go kid.

Looking forward to seeing the kids crank up the energy level all around. 

Dog days of summer are tough on vets.... having the young guys up really can add a spark!

Don't want them messing with Flores right now.... looks to be getting in a groove.

Keep the at-bats coming for him

Maybe Cecchini can give Cabrera a rest for his thigh, but his throwing accuracy scares me.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mets have had a lot to thank Cinci for the past few years. Had they not been asking too much for Bruce last year, we wouldn't be rooting for Cespedes every night. And we won the division there last year too. Hoping that being back there the next three days can serve to help keep settling Bruce down. 

Interestingly I read that Bruce asked to be traded anywhere but NY. He seems into the WC race and his new team but it will be something to watch come decision time on whether the Mets pick up his option or not.

11 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Interestingly I read that Bruce asked to be traded anywhere but NY. He seems into the WC race and his new team but it will be something to watch come decision time on whether the Mets pick up his option or not.

I saw that. You know who else didn't wanna play here? Keith Hernandez. So I'm not saying that's what's gonna happen but it probably is.

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Looking forward to seeing the kids crank up the energy level all around. 

Dog days of summer are tough on vets.... having the young guys up really can add a spark!

Don't want them messing with Flores right now.... looks to be getting in a groove.

Keep the at-bats coming for him

Maybe Cecchini can give Cabrera a rest for his thigh, but his throwing accuracy scares me.

They're making baseball fun to watch again. Everyone counted them out and I feel like nobody still expects anything out of them, and honestly that has been when this lineup flourishes the most the past couple years. Let's go get this Wild Card.

10 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Yoenis Cespedes is out of the Mets' starting lineup on Monday against the Reds.

Cespedes has been nursing a quad issue for the last couple of weeks, so he'll take a day of rest Monday versus the visiting Reds. Asdrubal Cabrera is also sitting.

Makes sense with the quick turnaround and that it's a rookie pitcher. Wouldn't be surprised if Wed has a wacky lineup too.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Yoenis Cespedes is out of the Mets' starting lineup on Monday against the Reds.

Cespedes has been nursing a quad issue for the last couple of weeks, so he'll take a day of rest Monday versus the visiting Reds. Asdrubal Cabrera is also sitting.

Not just Yo who is getting the day off.  F**kin MLB scheduling.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Matt Reynolds.... Mr Spark-plug!

HR.... 1-0 Mets

Red eye out of Vegas and into the lineup and the kid comes through in his first at bat.  Wilmer, on the other hand, is running the bases like he is jet lagged. 

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

Red eye out of Vegas and into the lineup and the kid comes through in his first at bat.  Wilmer, on the other hand, is running the bases like he is jet lagged. 

I'm sure that flight out of NY into Cincy didn't arrive until clost to 1am then getting settled in the hotel.

Like you said MLB screwed the pooch w/the 1pm start

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I'm sure that flight out of NY into Cincy didn't arrive until clost to 1am then getting settled in the hotel.

Like you said MLB screwed the pooch w/the 1pm start

Johnson continues to be clutch!

2-0 Mets

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know what he was thinking on that second out. If he doesn't watch that ball he easily makes that a triple.

41 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bart 70 pitches thru 5 innings.

14 pitches per inning average!

I wish Thor, Degrom and Matz would take a few lessons from this guy.

DeGrom and Thor love him. Always talk about how much they learn from him in regards to the day to day stuff. When Thor and Matz got diagnosed with the spurs, they were both panicking and it was Tolo who went to them and explained how it wasn't a big deal and that they could pitch with it, calmed both of them down.

Really hope they bring him back again. He said he wants to pitch next year and he wants to stay with the Mets. Given the uncertainty with Wheeler and Harvey I think it's a no-brainer.

47 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know what he was thinking on that second out. If he doesn't watch that ball he easily makes that a triple.

He will get a chance to "run" for the cycle if he can get thrown out at the plate today.

So Robles comes in throwing 98/99 MPH and players are fouling him off several times an at-bat

If Wharthon could teach him how to get some late movement on that heat (like Mariano Rivera) this kid would be a Familia clone.

Young man has a Major League arm.... if only someone could teach him to pitch.

5-0 Mets top 8th

On January 12, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Rangers9 said:

I'll take d'Aza because at least it's something. And a legit MLB bat but on the cheaper side. But the last time Sandy signed a FA outfielder it was Chris Young who got $7 mil for one year after a bad season in Oakland. It didn't work out. And they cut him in August. As it turns out that was even a worse decision than signing him. He came alive for the Yankees and even though we were paying him played pretty well that last 2 months of the season. Not a great front office move. 

Sandy signed Cespedes as a FA.

Looks like Cards will win but at least the Pirates and Marlins seem to be falling off the WC pace/picture.  I will be pissed if we end up missing out due to those back to back blown saves against the Cards last month.  I know every team goes through that but man those 2 W's would go a long way right now.

Regardless, this has been a second enjoyable summer in a row to be a fan of this team.

Last year they overcame running out a AAA line-up for the first half of the season to go on to be the best offense in the NL down the stretch, win the division, get past Kershaw and Greinke,  before  sweeping the overhyped Cubs and playing in the WS.   This year they have somehow managed to hang around despite major injuries to key players and are in the midst of a nice run.  

It should be an interesting September and I hope we have Matz and deGrom at some point. The schedule is soft but I'm not sure that we can get through it w/out our Aces.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sandy signed Cespedes as a FA.

But he had money to spend last year, and he's also going to have to sign Cespedes again this offseason, unless Yo is an idiot.

I think one factor will be if they make the playoffs. The extra dough from even getting to the NLDS would be huge.

Montero manana...

Gotta say I was happy with his last outing. He looked like a different guy than the guy with the bad body language and lack of confidence we saw last year. Granted he may not have been healthy.

What a boon to the club if we can get this kid, and fine prospect, on track after all....

9 minutes ago, faba said:

San Fran has come back that both wild card positions could be in play - good for us

It's crazy.  And they have a series vs. the Cards coming up next week.

I just really cant believe we're still in this thing.

You going to be at the tailgate Sunday?  CJ and I are going.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's crazy.  And they have a series vs. the Cards coming up next week.

I just really cant believe we're still in this thing.

You going to be at the tailgate Sunday?  CJ and I are going.

Yes with thress bacially rookies in rotation we are hanging in

Change of plans no will not be at the game Sunday -enjoy maybe next time will meet up

If the Mets can just maintain their current position into early next week, they will probably win this thing. The Cards not only have 3 against the Cubs, but more importantly a 4-game series against the Giants, so the math dictates they'll catch up to someone if they just keep at it. 

They should take at least one more in Cinci, so everything really all depends on the 2 Atlanta series, IMO. Washington seems to be in cruise control at this point, so I don't think Dusty is going to be too worried about the next Nats series. But the Braves have been playing great ball and you have to believe they'd love to play spoiler. You've got a young, motivated team that looks to be dead set on building momentum for next year. Yup, it's those 6 games. Take 4 of those 6 and everything else should take care of itself. 

5 hours ago, faba said:

San Fran has come back that both wild card positions could be in play - good for us

They have 6 left against LA too. I don't care what LA has locked up either, that rivalry is too intense for any of those games to be easy. Out of the 3 teams fighting for this we have the easiest schedule by a country mile. 

Looking back, I think the turnaround moment was (and I can't believe I'm saying this) getting Reyes.  He has been a total stud and not at all a distraction since coming back to the Mets at a time when they sorely need a boost.  After an incredibly bad run of injuries, things seem to have stabilized and even turned around.  All they need to do from here is beat the teams they are supposed to and stay healthy and they should get this done.  I recall seeing them at the low points with <3% chance of making the wildcard on some standings.  Nice turnaround.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Looking back, I think the turnaround moment was (and I can't believe I'm saying this) getting Reyes.  He has been a total stud and not at all a distraction since coming back to the Mets at a time when they sorely need a boost.  After an incredibly bad run of injuries, things seem to have stabilized and even turned around.  All they need to do from here is beat the teams they are supposed to and stay healthy and they should get this done.  I recall seeing them at the low points with <3% chance of making the wildcard on some standings.  Nice turnaround.

+1

Yuuuuuuuge piece

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think it was Terry going nuts in his presser and then in the clubhouse after one of those bad losses to San Diego.

Archived