2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Jay Bruce gets hot we get in. If he doesn't hit a big question mark. If he can repeat what he did before the trade with the Reds our chances are very good. He had some big time stats before that trade. 

I agree that if he gets hot, we get in.  The way we have been playing over the last month, we should still get in without him, but to make some noise, we really need him to heat up.  I see Bruce a lot like i see Duda, a guy who can carry a team when he is hot, but you have to suffer through the extended slumps that come with it.  Big difference is that we know Duda can do it for us, not sure about Bruce yet.  May just not be the kind of guy who responds in the spotlight of NY and a pennant race.

So, who are we all rooting for tonight, Giants or Cards.  On the one hand, I like having some sort of cushion over the Cards, but the more separation between the Cards and Giants, the more likely that we will have to beat Bumgarner in the one game playoff, and we need to beat out the Giants to have that game at home.  

I am so confused. :confused:

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Jay Bruce gets hot we get in. If he doesn't hit a big question mark. If he can repeat what he did before the trade with the Reds our chances are very good. He had some big time stats before that trade. 

We can get in the post season w/out Bruce.  Having him hit however would make a huge difference once we are in and facing teams like the Giants and hopefully Cubs or Nats if we advance past the WC game.

Edit: Or what Lith just said!

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, who are we all rooting for tonight, Giants or Cards.  On the one hand, I like having some sort of cushion over the Cards, but the more separation between the Cards and Giants, the more likely that we will have to beat Bumgarner in the one game playoff, and we need to beat out the Giants to have that game at home.  

I looked at the Giants schedule last night and I think unless they have to pitch him on very short rest on the last day of the season in order to get into the post season we will see him in the WC game on either 3 or 4 days rest.

Agree....prefer that scenario take place in Queens.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........................................................

***uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Horrible news on deGrom.

If we get into and past the WC game it looks like we have to win play-off series with a top three of Thor, Colon and Lugo unless Matz gets back.

Silver lining if Matz can get back is they'd have Gsellman for long relief, which is a perfect postseason role for him because he seems to fade around 70-80 pitches.

And also let's be real, if Matz is healthy and with the way Lugo still looks, that's a damn good rotation. When your top 2 pitchers are All-Stars you've got a shot.

While I think this sucks for the individual pitchers themselves - who could have imagined a team built around pre-injured young SP would run into so many SP injuries? Lucky there's still Syndergaard, who happens to be the best of them anyway. With a legit power TOR still standing there's always a shot, and this team needs to get something done this year with Rosario, possibly Nimmo or Cecchini, and then a whole lot of meh on the farm to help out an aging lineup in 2017+. 

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Can't say I like the decision to put Conforto in there for the pinch hit. You're putting in a guy that has consistently come up short in crucial spots the entire season season in one of the most crucial spots of the past month.

I wanted to see Nimmo in that spot....I started to lean towards Nimmo instead of Conforto before Conforto's previous PH appearance.

I think Nimmo can at least have better AB's right now and may work a BB

However, with the state of the pitching, I don't mind Terry continuing to get Conforto and Bruce a chance to get going, with the idea to get the Offense to drive the team forward into the playoffs

2 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Horrible news on deGrom.

If we get into and past the WC game it looks like we have to win play-off series with a top three of Thor, Colon and Lugo unless Matz gets back.

I just think the books are out on him and Bruce. At least for now. Every AB is too crucial at this stage in the game to be using them for getting stale hitters going. Just literally anyone but either of those guys in clutch spots this year. 

Pretty happy the Jets played Thursday now. Can watch the rook make his starting debut followed by rooting for the Cards to put us into first place.

P.S. Cards have to go to Colorado next and the Giants have LA. Meanwhile we get 7 more home games against Atlanta and Philly. Zero excuses for not pulling away here over the next week.

Giants lost last night so I think we are Cards fans today as we shoot for home field in the WC game.

Lost in Granderson's heroics was 3 more hits for Rivera last night who has made the Walker and then Flores injuries at least tolerable.

Lugo also did a fine job other than leaving after 5 due to his pitch count getting up there.

54 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Giants lost last night so I think we are Cards fans today as we shoot for home field in the WC game.

I am on the other side today.  I am rooting for the Giants.  I want a bigger cushion over the Cards to have a bit of a margin for error.  Giants still have 6 games left with the Dodgers, so we might still have a chance to pass them (or stay ahead since we passed them last night).  

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Starting lineup today -- Duda back, but no Grandy (day off after two HR game???), Cabrera or Reyes.  Although the off day for Bruce may  not be a bad thing.

CspczK0UEAAiBS7.jpg:large

I liked the lineup. It's a pressure-free game, so get the kids some time; and the stats on the year show that the older guys, particularly Asdrubal and Granderson, play their best after off-days. The real trick going forward is going to be finding time for both TJ and Wilmer when he comes back. TJ has earned the right to stay in the lineup and his glove is also way better than Wilmer's.

Archived