adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

I have a feeling Rafael Montero is going to be the big surprise for us (in a good way).  Let's hope Wright and D'Arnaud can stay healthy.

I have to admit I'm worried about Travis. While at times he had big offensive surges he slumped a lot too. And he didn't throw out a runner for over a month. Not sure if he had some kind of injury. But you can't have a catcher who everyone runs on unless he's Mike Piazza and Travis isn't, We have a good young backup catcher who got a lot of playing time last year and could be a potential starting catcher. He should play a lot this coming year. If Travis doesn't come through with his throwing they might have to consider a position change. 

Edited by Rangers9

I have to admit I'm worried about Travis. While at times he had big offensive surges he slumped a lot too. And he didn't throw out a runner for over a month. Not sure if he had some kind of injury. But you can't have a catcher who everyone runs on unless he's Mike Piazza and Travis isn't, We have a good young backup catcher who got a lot of playing time last year and could be a potential starting catcher. He should play a lot this coming year. If Travis doesn't come through with his throwing they might have to consider a position change. 

Met pitchers were terrible holding runners. They need to help TD out! He's got a below avg. arm, but with a little help from the pitchers, he could be avg. at throwing runners out.

Cespedes for the rest of us!!! 

LOL...I'm waiting for Durden to pop in and show us how this is not a good day for the kings of NY. 

Edited by GimmeShelter

So glad that we've gotten more value out of the Fulmer trade.

Yes we paid YC big money, but compared to seeing him walk after giving up a promising young pitcher in Fulmer for 8 weeks of YC would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Now we get to keep the guy we traded a potential #2 starter for.

That makes it easier to swallow.

Yes we paid YC big money, but compared to seeing him walk after giving up a promising young pitcher in Fulmer for 8 weeks of YC would have been a tough pill to swallow.

I thought the same thing. It extends the value of that trade.

It's going to be an exciting Spring Training this year.

And some of the position player prospects are starting to get their time in and a little closer to maturity, so it'll be fun to get a look at some of them too.

Even better per Ken Rosenthal.

Cespedes eligible for qualifying offer if he opts out after one year. will get compensation pick if they make him QO and he departs.

• Upvote 2

Even better per Ken Rosenthal.

Cespedes eligible for qualifying offer if he opts out after one year. will get compensation pick if they make him QO and he departs.

What would the QO for a player who just made $27 mil?? Is it $15 mil like we offered Murphy?

Nice job by Sandy and a dumb move by YC agent. Who's going to pay a guy $20+ mil AND give up a 1st rd. pick?

So this is pretty cool. This and the invite he got to spring training, and also the fact that the only other first baseman on the roster is still Campbell, I think there is a legit shot we see this kid up this year. Especially if Duda has some back trouble again, because Campbell can't hit for sh*t.

Dominic Smith

who spent last season with High-A St. Lucie, was ranked the third-best minor league first baseman, according to

MLB Pipeline

Smith, 20, hit .305 with six home runs and 79 RBIs in 118 games last season, and has a career .290/.357/.387 batting line with 10 home runs and 149 RBIs since joining the Mets organization in 2013.

From MLB Pipeline:

With his excellent hand-eye coordination and mature approach, he barrels balls repeatedly and shows promising power during batting practice.

In the Arizona Fall League, Smith hit .362 with one home run and six RBIs in 14 games.

He was ranked as the Mets' fifth-best prospect and was also named to the minor league All-Defensive Team for 2015.

So this is pretty cool. This and the invite he got to spring training, and also the fact that the only other first baseman on the roster is still Campbell, I think there is a legit shot we see this kid up this year. Especially if Duda has some back trouble again, because Campbell can't hit for sh*t.

I think we'll see Flores spend some time at 1B.....also think we signed Cantra who used to be w/the Angels to a Minor League deal. Nice to see another promising bat in the system though.

I think we'll see Flores spend some time at 1B.....also think we signed Cantra who used to be w/the Angels to a Minor League deal. Nice to see another promising bat in the system though.

Yeah, the Mets have him listed on the depth chart at first. That's gonna be weird. But hey, the dog days of summer are for experimenting with sh*t, so why not?

So if Ces walks after 1 year, we'll end up with back to back years of 2 first round picks each year (we got a 1st rounder after losing Murphy).

Ces sticks around, he's ours for another 2 years.

Win-Win. Sandy is awesome.

• Upvote 2

What would the QO for a player who just made $27 mil?? Is it $15 mil like we offered Murphy?

Nice job by Sandy and a dumb move by YC agent. Who's going to pay a guy $20+ mil AND give up a 1st rd. pick?

The QO is an average of the top 125 salaries in the game.

So, obviously, Cespedes would not take that, because he would lose money from his current deal.

It is interesting that the agent allowed that language, so it appears the Mets had some leverage. Nice job by Sandy

• Upvote 1

Good point about getting those 1st round draft picks. Because a first round draft selection has a monetary value. And as you see with our starting pitchers we have them under contract for a number of years before they can get top money, so if they are fast developing players like Conforto you get that extra value. That's why drafting college players is a good idea.  As for first base. Smith so far looks like a good prospect. And to me Lucas Duda is still a questionable commodity. Hopefully he has a consistent year and doesn't have to adjust his swing to lower his power. He looked better at the end of the season and wasn't swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. 

Edited by Rangers9

So if Ces walks after 1 year, we'll end up with back to back years of 2 first round picks each year (we got a 1st rounder after losing Murphy).

Ces sticks around, he's ours for another 2 years.

Win-Win. Sandy is awesome.

Sandy has done well. He has steadfastly grinded away and the work is is starting to shine.

I give him so much credit for plodding away in the face of negative perceptions, and in the face of the ignorant writers and fans, some of whom just like to spew negativity and even hate.

Most of all I wish him great health in the future.

He and Terry are such fine men and deserve every accolade they get, and a little more respect from some of the clueless small little bitches that think they know what they're looking at.

• Upvote 2

Good point about getting those 1st round draft picks. Because a first round draft selection has a monetary value. And as you see with our starting pitchers we have them under contract for a number of years before they can get top money, so if they are fast developing players like Conforto you get that extra value. That's why drafting college players is a good idea.  As for first base. Smith so far looks like a good prospect. And to me Lucas Duda is still a questionable commodity. Hopefully he has a consistent year and doesn't have to adjust his swing to lower his power. He looked better at the end of the season and wasn't swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. 

Duda put the team on his back three for different stretches last season and looked good in the post season. Seriously dude...the minute we signed Cespedes you shifted your complaining to D'Arnaud and now Duda.  

Edited by GimmeShelter
  • Upvote 3

Duda put the team on his back three for different stretches last season and looked good in the post season. Seriously dude...the minute we signed Cespedes you shifted your complaining to D'Arnaud and now Duda.  

So you think Duda had a good season. I guess you weren't watching the same team. And what's wrong with criticizing Mets players. I like Travis a lot but he didn't throw a baserunner out for over a month. That's a concern. If you want to be a Mets cheerleader ok with me. 

So you think Duda had a good season. I guess you weren't watching the same team. And what's wrong with criticizing Mets players. I like Travis a lot but he didn't throw a baserunner out for over a month. That's a concern. If you want to be a Mets cheerleader ok with me. 

Don't worry home boy, at least try not too. Sandy drafted the #3 1B prospect in MLB. It's covered bro

In the meantime Duda made himself into a good defensive player and he most likely gets 25-30  and 85 this year

But that's 'worrisome'...lol

But you wanna be a fake ass troll it's okay with me tho

Edited by JohnJ

Don't worry home boy, at least try not too. Sandy drafted the #3 1B prospect in MLB. It's covered bro

In the meantime Duda made himself into a good defensive player and he most likely gets 25 and 85 this year

I don't think Duda is in the long term plans for this franchise. Smith's glove is already better and he's probably on track to be a more consistent hitter; if he's not ready to come up by next year they'll take Duda to arbitration so he's on the team in 2017, but I think it's more likely he gets shopped than extended. There's actually a bunch of stuff that's still so up in the air right now for this team that's dependent on how Dilson, Nimmo, and Smith look in the Spring and first half of Summer. 

I like Duda, but man, he is so streaky. When he's on the guy is as good a power hitter as anyone in the league, but when he slumps he's a black hold in the middle of the lineup and it always seems to go on way too long.

No doubt. That August series against the Nationals where we swept them was 100% the major turning point in the season and that was all him. I think that's one of the most frustrating things about him when he slumps, because this team cruises when he's hitting and he always struggles so badly digging himself out when he's cold.

I don't think Duda is in the long term plans for this franchise. Smith's glove is already better and he's probably on track to be a more consistent hitter; if he's not ready to come up by next year they'll take Duda to arbitration so he's on the team in 2017, but I think it's more likely he gets shopped than extended. There's actually a bunch of stuff that's still so up in the air right now for this team that's dependent on how Dilson, Nimmo, and Smith look in the Spring and first half of Summer. 

I like Duda, but man, he is so streaky. When he's on the guy is as good a power hitter as anyone in the league, but when he slumps he's a black hold in the middle of the lineup and it always seems to go on way too long.

I'm hoping that he has a really good year and becomes good trade bait.

Adding Cespedes really helps that prospect. 

I think the improved lineup top to bottom, and the addition of Cespedes, takes the pressure off him too. Duda's a little bit of a head case and I believe he put's too much pressure on himself. But he's a good guy and good major league 1st bagger

But I'm expecting a really good year from him, albeit with the inconsistencies. The better the team the better he'll be.....I think lol

Edited by JohnJ

In the meantime Duda made himself into a good defensive player and he most likely gets 25-30  and 85 this year

But that's 'worrisome'...lol

But you wanna be a fake ass troll it's okay with me tho

A prospect isn't being covered. And I'm not a troll. And I'm not going to be waving any banners for Sandy or the org either. I don't forget or forgive the previous five seasons of spending no money and dipping into the farm system (for minor leaguers) which translated to 70 plus win seasons. I'm happy now because I think the org has given the team a chance to win. And that a 140 payroll while low is adequate. While I'm not for giving up on Duda last season he started to remind me of Ike Davis. Very inconsistent. But I think he needs another season to see how he does. He was looking better at the end of the year and maybe he was starting to put it together and listen to his hitting coach. If he goes into a deep black hole again he has to be replaced. 

I'm hoping that he has a really good year and becomes good trade bait.

Adding Cespedes really helps that prospect. 

I think the improved lineup top to bottom, and the addition of Cespedes, takes the pressure off him too. Duda's a little bit of a head case and I believe he put's too much pressure on himself. But he's a good guy and good major league 1st bagger

But I'm expecting a really year from him, albeit with the inconsistencies. The better the team the better he'll be.....I think lol

Maybe. It didn't seem to make much of a difference last year, and Collins refused to drop him in the order multiple times. And this was also when d'Arnaud was crushing it and he was sandwiched in between 4 guys all hitting well, including Yo. I think everyone is hoping for the best, he's an insanely popular guy in the locker room and that is really going to matter this year, but he'll be 30 when the season starts, I think it's safe to assume that this is just the type of player he is by now.

I don't think we're going to get much of a picture on how things are going to play out with him until April. If Smith still looks too raw in St Lucie I think he'll be given a much longer leash when it comes to his cold streaks. With him it's just a wait and see thing, but I definitely don't think he's getting resigned either way.

A prospect isn't being covered. And I'm not a troll. And I'm not going to be waving any banners for Sandy or the org either. I don't forget or forgive the previous five seasons of spending no money and dipping into the farm system (for minor leaguers) which translated to 70 plus win seasons. I'm happy now because I think the org has given the team a chance to win. And that a 140 payroll while low is adequate. While I'm not for giving up on Duda last season he started to remind me of Ike Davis. Very inconsistent. But I think he needs another season to see how he does. He was looking better at the end of the year and maybe he was starting to put it together and listen to his hitting coach. If he goes into a deep black hole again he has to be replaced. 

I try not to judge people too harshly, but this guy sucks.

• Upvote 1

Another monolithic block of bullsh*t

GFY

• Upvote 1

Maybe. It didn't seem to make much of a difference last year, and Collins refused to drop him in the order multiple times. And this was also when d'Arnaud was crushing it and he was sandwiched in between 4 guys all hitting well, including Yo. I think everyone is hoping for the best, he's an insanely popular guy in the locker room and that is really going to matter this year, but he'll be 30 when the season starts, I think it's safe to assume that this is just the type of player he is by now.

I don't think we're going to get much of a picture on how things are going to play out with him until April. If Smith still looks too raw in St Lucie I think he'll be given a much longer leash when it comes to his cold streaks. With him it's just a wait and see thing, but I definitely don't think he's getting resigned either way.

I'm optimistic and think the additions will help him. I think Terry will have a little more propensity to move him down with the depth there from the start.

Over the course of a full season I can live with the inconsistencies, and believe he'll contibute

It sounds like Smith is another year away. But it seem's to me he's a lock, a natural. Of course there's no guarantees.

But I would like to see Duda do well and then traded. That might be asking too much. He's an above average 1st Baseman and his 25-30 Hr's is a good thing, for now.

Whatever, just some thoughts

If he goes into a deep black hole again he has to be replaced. 

Your entire posting history has been a deep black hole.  We'd like you replaced. 

You really do act like a troll.

So why this attack from about 3 guys who constantly post about the Mets and don't like any criticism of the team. And are cheerleaders about Smith and some of their other unproven minor league prospects. I think if you were to poll Mets fans 95% would agree with me about the organization and the owners. And most are still angry about the previous 5 seasons of below average baseball and super low payroll.  I love the Mets, watch almost every game, I'm depressed when they lose but i want them to operate like a viable big league contender and a New York franchise. I'm not a troll but I'm not Mr. Met either. This team is not perfect and Sandy isn't god. He isn't responsible for 3 of the 5 elite Mets starters or Familia, etc and during his time here has not had a great record signing players (starting with Frank Francisco). But he did a great job last season and the org has put the Mets in a position to win this year. I don't ask any more than that. But unlike you I don't accept anything less. Before they signed Cespy you were calling me names because I said the Mets should raise their payroll and sign him or other offensive players. Not go into the season losing their two top hitters from 2015 to their main competition. 

Edited by Rangers9

I just saw this

The New York Mets designated right-hander Carlos Torres for assignment Friday, clearing a 40-man roster spot as fellow reliever Antonio Bastardo's two-year, $12 million contract became official.

Torres, 33, recently had avoided arbitration by agreeing to a $1.05 million contract. The Mets have a week to trade him. If they are unsuccessful, Torres must be placed on waivers, where he would figure to get claimed.

Torres went 5-6 with a 4.68 ERA in 59 appearances for the Mets in 2015.

Minus Torres, the bullpen in April may consist of Jeurys Familia, Bastardo, Addison Reed, Jerry Blevins, Hansel Robles, Erik Goeddel and Sean Gilmartin. Robles, however, is due to begin the season with a three-game suspension for throwing near the head of Philadelphia's Cameron Rupp last season. Josh Edgin, returning from Tommy John surgery, may open the season on the disabled list and be ready in May.

Looking at the 40 roster there appears to be a few other guys that could be candidates for the BP also. So it's safe to say that the BP is always a priority for the FO, and they're trying to keep a large pool of arms.

There's several young guys that appear to be rising and might be BP help even if they're projected starters.

I believe that's something St. Louis may have started as far as handling young arms, or at least made part of a successful way of handling some of their young pitchers

Looking at the 40 roster there appears to be a few other guys that could be candidates for the BP also. So it's safe to say that the BP is always a priority for the FO, and they're trying to keep a large pool of arms.

There's several young guys that appear to be rising and might be BP help even if they're projected starters.

I believe that's something St. Louis may have started as far as handling young arms, or at least made part of a successful way of handling some of their young pitchers

For sure. They can't keep Montero and Verett down the entire year. Even Gilmartin who got some hella good experience last year and seemed to gain more control of his stuff as the year went on.

For sure. They can't keep Montero and Verett down the entire year. Even Gilmartin who got some hella good experience last year and seemed to gain more control of his stuff as the year went on.

Montero and or Robles are key to this team this year.

Only if we could pay them millions of more dollars would I feel comfortable though.

• Upvote 1

Montero and or Robles are key to this team this year.

Only if we could pay them millions of more dollars would I feel comfortable though.

If I had to predict one guy in the bullpen that will take a big jump this year it would be Robles. The Mets are in desperate need of an overpowering guy in middle relief and he definitely has the arm and mentality for it. Also, Keith loves him, so I'm required to by law.

• Upvote 2

At this point the bullpen looks solid. And don't forget about Mejia who was a real good pitcher. Re-signing him was a smart move.