2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I liked the lineup. It's a pressure-free game, so get the kids some time; and the stats on the year show that the older guys, particularly Asdrubal and Granderson, play their best after off-days. The real trick going forward is going to be finding time for both TJ and Wilmer when he comes back. TJ has earned the right to stay in the lineup and his glove is also way better than Wilmer's.

Can't say I liked the lineup -- there are no pressure free games right now.  Nor did I like TC pulling Ynoa when he did.  But what do I know.  It usually works this way, when I get really pissed at TC, scratch my head over some of his moves, they all seem to work out.  Despite my criticisms, I gotta give major props to Collins for keeping the team together and patching together lineups & bullpen matchups to keep us winning.  20-7 in the last month.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So should we be rooting for an end of the year tie between the Cards and the Giants for the final wild card, and allow them to have a 1 game playoff? Is that a possibility? Burn one of their pitchers coming into the wild card game?

Then take our chances against the Chicago Mings?

I'm hoping Madison Bum has to pitch the final day of season just to get in and then we meet the Giants in Queens. Their line-up is a little less daunting then the Cards.

Anything after that (winning the WC game) would be gravy based on the condition of our SP staff but you never know.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Can't say I liked the lineup -- there are no pressure free games right now.  Nor did I like TC pulling Ynoa when he did.  But what do I know.  It usually works this way, when I get really pissed at TC, scratch my head over some of his moves, they all seem to work out.  Despite my criticisms, I gotta give major props to Collins for keeping the team together and patching together lineups & bullpen matchups to keep us winning.  20-7 in the last month.

I listened to the pre-game and Terry said he hoped for one or two turns through the line-up for Ynoa so he stuck to his word I guess.  I hated the move as well with two outs in the 4th and the guy pitching well.

How bout T.J. Rivera???  Maybe amidst all the disappointment of Conforto's sophomore season we've found another good young bat to tide us over.  I still think Conforto will be a very good player.

You have to give Sandy a lot of credit for having good young arms in the org who have kind of saved the bacon for us so far. The offense is still inconsistent but these guys like Lugo, Gsellman. the guy today, etc. are doing the job. Of course it's not easy being a pitcher in the PCL where balls go flying out of the stadium regularly. So they're used to stuff happening but they are handling MLB hitters pretty well. They are so far the story for 2016. Hopefully we'll make it. 

Good to see Conforto with a little bingle to the opposite field and picking up those two ribby's. It wasn't a drive in the gap, but he dug in and put the bat on the ball and that's a good thing.

I'm sure Terry is trying to get him going to strengthen the lineup moving forward. And get the O tuned

Of course you need to get in. But, Terry & Co. want to do damage if they do. The more guys that can contribute the better the chances are to advance

You just have to love the byplay of how this season has transformed. The Mets minor leagues, thought to be barren in the upper levels are driving this stretch run and doing much of the heavy lifting.

Names like Lugo, Rivera and Gsellman were not on the top lists of anyone's crop of "next, can't miss" prospects. They were not sexy names with pedigree. But all they have done is  grind out big wins for this Mets team during the heat of a playoff chase. The Mets would not be in this position without them.

There are  so many geniuses out there that will tell you they know who the next superstars are, but you can't measure heart and grit. Regardless how this year finishes, it has been fun watching these mutts of minor leagues excel.

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You just have to love the byplay of how this season has transformed. The Mets minor leagues, thought to be barren in the upper levels are driving this stretch run and doing much of the heavy lifting.

Names like Lugo, Rivera and Gsellman were not on the top lists of anyone's crop of "next, can't miss" prospects. They were not sexy names with pedigree. But all they have done is  grind out big wins for this Mets team during the heat of a playoff chase. The Mets would not be in this position without them.

There are  so many geniuses out there that will tell you they know who the next superstars are, but you can't measure heart and grit. Regardless how this year finishes, it has been fun watching these mutts of minor leagues excel.

100% and I would point a little bit at the schedule but they started playing a big role in crucial series.  It really has been the total opposite of everything we've come accustomed to as Mets fans.  A month ago I was just accepting the fact that the injury bug was too much too overcome and here we are playing great ball at the right time.

Fun times right now.  

Just a comment and it's been said many times by broadcasters, etc. The 40 man roster rule for call ups in Sept is ridiculous. I don't remember in the past teams bringing up almost the entire 40. It kind of changes the game and not for the better. Maybe cap it at 30 on call ups. It's a long time tradition in MLB to bring guys up in Sept but 40 is over the top. 

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Just a comment and it's been said many times by broadcasters, etc. The 40 man roster rule for call ups in Sept is ridiculous. I don't remember in the past teams bringing up almost the entire 40. It kind of changes the game and not for the better. Maybe cap it at 30 on call ups. It's a long time tradition in MLB to bring guys up in Sept but 40 is over the top. 

Agree. I skews pennat races and how the game is played.

Admittedly, it has helped the Mets this season, as they have a deep system. But it is a different game.

45 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Agree. I skews pennat races and how the game is played.

Admittedly, it has helped the Mets this season, as they have a deep system. But it is a different game.

Yep.  I think the rule makes little sense now that teams have a much better idea of what they have in AAA than in the past.

Make it a 30-man roster rule for September and that would be good enough. 

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not sold on Gsellman yet, but I think Lugo is definitely the goods to be a solid 3rd/4th guy long term.

Such an odd mix of the things that carried the Mets through this run. It's basically been a bunch of lower to mid-tier prospects and a bunch of cheap veterans that they took fliers on like Rene, Johnson, Reyes, and Loney, and a few more along the way like Ruggiano. The term ragtag is so lame and cliche but that's kind of what this team has become and they seem to have embraced that, which is bizarre considering they're the defending NL champs.

Also, for what it's worth on Gsellman, I have some close family from Santa Monica and my two cousins were women's basketball standouts in West LA. The younger one was playing at the same time as Gsellman and when I told them he popped up as a surprise star this year they weren't surprised at all. Said he was one of the most freakish athletes that area had seen in a while.

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

^This. The later innings lately seem to take forever.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am not sold on Gsellman yet, but I think Lugo is definitely the goods to be a solid 3rd/4th guy long term.

Such an odd mix of the things that carried the Mets through this run. It's basically been a bunch of lower to mid-tier prospects and a bunch of cheap veterans that they took fliers on like Rene, Johnson, Reyes, and Loney, and a few more along the way like Ruggiano. The term ragtag is so lame and cliche but that's kind of what this team has become and they seem to have embraced that, which is bizarre considering they're the defending NL champs.

Also, for what it's worth on Gsellman, I have some close family from Santa Monica and my two cousins were women's basketball standouts in West LA. The younger one was playing at the same time as Gsellman and when I told them he popped up as a surprise star this year they weren't surprised at all. Said he was one of the most freakish athletes that area had seen in a while.

Backman, in his exit interview with Francesa, said that Gsellman was the pitcher he had been impressed with and felt that he would have a mlb career. Take that for what it was worth.

I thought it interesting that the Nats had seen Gsvllman twice now, and did not have any better hacks the second time around.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Backman, in his exit interview with Francesa, said that Gsellman was the pitcher he had been impressed with and felt that he would have a mlb career. Take that for what it was worth.

I thought it interesting that the Nats had seen Gsvllman twice now, and did not have any better hacks the second time around.

My main concern with him is that he still hasn't developed a ton of velocity on his fastball and yet he always seems to fade around the 70-80 pitch mark. He seems to navigate his way out of trouble quite well though, and that's always an impressive trait for a rookie.

Its almost like they had to throw a stinker out there tonight just to remind us that they haven't clinched anything yet. Going to be a fight right to that last weekend of the season, in all likelihood. Syndergaard going up against a guy with an 8+ ERA. Figured we had this one, but that is baseball.

So the rumor making the rounds right now, most recently FAN this afternoon, is one of the main things that did Backman in was he spoke out big time against Alderson to the Vegas media about call-ups this year specifically regarding Lugo, Gsellman, and Rivera. Basically after the Mets started their run in mid-August, Backman started leaking that he had been telling Alderson to call these guys up months earlier and that he cost the Mets about 10 wins by not doing so.

Worth noting I don't know how much to rip Alderson for not being quick to call up a guy with over a 6 ERA. Even in the PCL. But TJ definitely should have been called up way earlier. Thought it was bizarre when they called Kelly up over him.

13 hours ago, no psls said:

Hate to bring it up but Thor looked like Dwight Gooden on the mound last night with all of that sweating . Just sayin . 

4 hours ago, no psls said:

Going to the game tonight ; GO GSELLMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us know if he sweats cause you know...sweating = cocaine use right?

Ces really hurtin' with that quad. You could really see him wince on that swing and miss after torquing and driving on the rear leg....It's just not holding up to that force right now.

Carbrera's left leg stuck underneath him on that slide and bent that knee too much for his injury...prolly a meniscus. If it gets more damaged we'll lose him

Archived