2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Question, what time do you think I need to get to Citifield on Saturday in order to ensure I get a fleece blanket?

I would say pretty early. At least an hour to be safe, probably more. It won't be as bad as bobblehead games but people really do show up hella early for the limited stuff. For what it's worth the game isn't going to sell out, I already too a 50% hit on StubHub because there are so many seats available from the box office.

I'd bet money if they win Thurs and Fri and the weather is good people will definitely buy last minute too.

I just don't have it in me for that stuff. People lined up for hours on Thor bobblehead day and I couldn't fathom it. I'd rather have my 3 hours back and just spend 40 bucks in the gift shop if I want one that badly. They had a fedora night where all the hats went like an hour before gametime. I mean come on. You're just gonna go sit in the stadium for an extra hour and a half for a fedora with a Gulf logo right next to the Mets logo? 

Ugh...

Prior to the start of the season, the Queen song best used to describe the New York Mets’ starting rotation might have been “We Will Rock You.” As of Thursday, it’s starting to look like “Another One Bites the Dust” is more appropriate.

Steven Matz became the latest member of the Mets rotation to succumb to injury. The team announced Thursday that Matz will no longer make Friday’s scheduled start due to shoulder soreness.

While the Mets have no speculated on a timetable for Matz’s return, many are speculatingthe injury could impact 25-year-old’s ability to return should the Mets reach the playoffs.

[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Baseball contest now]

The setback is a significant blow, though it’s not entirely unexpected. Matz had not pitched since Aug. 14 due to a left shoulder impingement, and was working his way back from the injury. He was able to get through a recent bullpen session, fueling speculation that he would return this season, but that no longer appears to be the case.

With Matz sidelined, the fearsome rotation the Mets opened the season with suddenly looks a lot more vulnerable.

To make matters worse, the three big injuries in the club’s rotation are arm-related. Matt Harvey hit the disabled list in July with a right shoulder injury. He had thoracic outlet surgery later in the month. On Tuesday, Jacob deGrom was shut down due to a nerve issue in his throwing elbow. He’ll have surgery at some point in September.

On top of all that, Noah Syndergaard is currently pitching through a bone spur in his elbow. The only member of the Mets starting rotation without any issues is the 43-year-old Bartolo Colon. He’s become a horror movie villain at this point. You can’t kill him.

Steven Matz is the latest member of the Mets rotation to succumb to injury. (Getty Images/Rich Schultz)
View photos

Steven Matz is the latest member of the Mets rotation to succumb to injury. (Getty Images/Rich Schultz)

The injury couldn’t come at a worse time for the Mets. Entering Thursday, the club is in a three-way tie with the St. Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants for the two wild card spots in the National League. The Mets were already clinging to their playoff hopes by the slightest of margins. This could be the one injury the team can’t overcome.

Even if Yoenis Cespedes puts New York on his back and singlehandedly carries the Mets back to the playoffs, the team will have to push through October without the help of Harvey, deGrom and now Matz. While we don’t want to doubt Syndergaard, Colon and Robert Gsellman, that far less imposing that the murderer’s row the team ran out there last season.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Ugh...

Matz injury magnifies the teams need to get the some semblance of Jay Bruce production.  The SP replacements have done well for the most part but it's a far cry from what we threw at the Cubbies last October.  Mets are gonna need to hit their way into the post season.

Bruce and Duda (both hitting) would make this a formidable line-up.

53 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Matz injury magnifies the teams need to get the some semblance of Jay Bruce production.  The SP replacements have done well for the most part but it's a far cry from what we threw at the Cubbies last October.  Mets are gonna need to hit their way into the post season.

Bruce and Duda (both hitting) would make this a formidable line-up.

I honestly don't think we have a chance regardless, but I'm down anyways. Let's be honest, they're playing with house money at this point. Whether or not they even get the WC the fact that we're even watching meaningful baseball at this point is nothing short of a miracle.

I think all of MLB is aware of the insane injury problem they've had this year. Even Francessa of all people conceded it the other day (Francessa!). I'd quite enjoy it if they got to the Cubs. That would be a series where the pressure is 100% on them given the replacement lineup we're fielding, and they can deal with the Billy Goat bullsh*t while the Mets can sit back and just watch it all pan out.

Last night, Ces misses a game winning HR by inches when Inciarte goes over the fence to bring it back. Tonight, Duda misses a game winning HR when he misses the pole by inches. 2 games just out of our grasp.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Last night, Ces misses a game winning HR by inches when Inciarte goes over the fence to bring it back. Tonight, Duda misses a game winning HR when he misses the pole by inches. 2 games just out of our grasp.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

And the bullpen blows it again. I can't believe he left Fams out there for the 11th after the work he got last night. 

Look I appreciate us winning last night. But it was not good baseball by any means. I'll say again that the expanded roster dilutes the product. Too many players, too many strategic moves and too many minor leaguers. I don't get the logic and hope that it is not repeated next year. You'd think Sept would be the month for competing and great baseball not this product. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I literally said that this morning when I was describing what happened to a co-worker..."I've legit never seen anything like that before"...I guess thats why.  haha

And Duda just missing the walk off in the 10th added to the drama.  That one, following Ces' near walk-off the night before had me thinking the WC is going to be just out of our grasp.  Cabrera (and Reyes) may have saved our season last night.

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

And Duda just missing the walk off in the 10th added to the drama.  That one, following Ces' near walk-off the night before had me thinking the WC is going to be just out of our grasp.  Cabrera (and Reyes) may have saved our season last night.

I don't think that's even a may. They definitely did. Losing two in a row in that sort of manner would have been absolutely crushing, and we definitely have a few more L's on the way with the uncertainty surrounding the pitching, both the rotation and the bullpen which has suddenly become grossly unreliable. We just need a little breathing room to account for that with 9 games to go and that's what last night's W provided. They gave us a shot and with the replacement parts this team is fielding that's all we can ask for.

Now let's go Cubs.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think that's even a may. They definitely did. Losing two in a row in that sort of manner would have been absolutely crushing, and we definitely have a few more L's on the way with the uncertainty surrounding the pitching, both the rotation and the bullpen which has suddenly become grossly unreliable. We just need a little breathing room to account for that with 9 games to go and that's what last night's W provided. They gave us a shot and with the replacement parts this team is fielding that's all we can ask for.

Now let's go Cubs.

Problem with the bullpen is that we are using 7 or 8 guys just about every night.  Familia has thrown over 50 pitches the last two nights -- I assume he is not available tonight, but with Terry, you never know.  Couldn't believe he sent him out for the 11th last night.  Our starters (at least outside of Thor and Colon) are not likely to go much beyond 5.  This bullpen has been stretched to the limit -- even with the September call ups.  They don't seem to be capable of stringing together two scoreless innings.  We desperately need 7 innings out of a starter, and with Ynoa going tonight, you know that is not going to happen.

Planning my afternoon around the Cubs - Cards game.  We have a gym in our office that will have the fame on -- will probably head down there around 3 so I can watch the 2nd half of that one.

The Mets offense has been inconsistent all season. The only consistent thing is that they can't build runs. Most of their scoring is via home runs. When they have had winning streaks it's been when their bullpen has been perfect. But it's not now both Familia and Reed have been overused and but guys have been susceptible. So to me those are the Mets key players down the stretch esp when they aren't scoring runs. They have to be able to hold leads. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Problem with the bullpen is that we are using 7 or 8 guys just about every night.  Familia has thrown over 50 pitches the last two nights -- I assume he is not available tonight, but with Terry, you never know.  Couldn't believe he sent him out for the 11th last night.  Our starters (at least outside of Thor and Colon) are not likely to go much beyond 5.  This bullpen has been stretched to the limit -- even with the September call ups.  They don't seem to be capable of stringing together two scoreless innings.  We desperately need 7 innings out of a starter, and with Ynoa going tonight, you know that is not going to happen.

Planning my afternoon around the Cubs - Cards game.  We have a gym in our office that will have the fame on -- will probably head down there around 3 so I can watch the 2nd half of that one.

The pitching schedule favors us for sure. Hammel at home tomorrow and then Lester on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, no psls said:

Strep throat ; are they ******* kidding ? Shoot him up with something !! This is RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ynoa going tonight, and Gilmartin tomorrow.  In the heat of a pennant race in late September.  Just the way Terry & Sandy drew it up.  Can anyone explain how this team is still contending?  Unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah so playing him with strep would be monumentally stupid. Really not rocket science here. Strep is contagious as all hell. The team is in a playoff race. You quarantine the sh*t out of that guy and don't think twice about it unless you want a starting 9 of guys with fevers in the WC game.

Send Thor into the Phillies clubhouse and infect all of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, no psls said:

Strep throat ; are they ******* kidding ? Shoot him up with something !! This is RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least he wasn't on Coke!!!

Pitching with strep throat is manning up. For real. It's bad, real bad

Archived