2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Jay Bruce just lost some playing time. Conforto looks like he may be starting to come around a little.....

The line-up could do some serious damage if it would just start to hit collectively to what their career numbers usually are.

If Bruce (or Conforto) and Duda ever got hot to supplement Grande, Reyes, Yo and Cabrera, we'd have a punchers chance in the post season despite our pitching injuries.

Middle relief is a huge issue right now and at some point we will miss Walkers defense at 2B.  Still, it's been a fun September. 

26 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

The line-up could do some serious damage if it would just start to hit collectively to what their career numbers usually are.

If Bruce (or Conforto) and Duda ever got hot to supplement Grande, Reyes, Yo and Cabrera, we'd have a punchers chance in the post season despite our pitching injuries.

Middle relief is a huge issue right now and at some point we will miss Walkers defense at 2B.  Still, it's been a fun September. 

I've been holding out hope to see a couple guys like Bruce or Conforto start hitting to get the lineup strong and get some offensive momentum. To give us that "punchers chance" as you said.

Man are we wounded.

But I love the fight in them. They keep coming no matter what.

And that's a team I can really like, enjoy, and root for.

Also, Cespedes and Cabrera are playing really hurt. They're showing great grit and leadership.

Cespedes is hurting, and is even changing his swing to be able to contribute. I don't mean going for single's to get key rbi's. He's had to adjust his swing because of the quad on the leg he drives his swing with. He's in a bad way

He's a great player

Hopefully we can get SF at home at any rate

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Giants are down by 5 in the 8th. I have officially reached the point of expecting something disappointing to happen, because if there's one thing I've learned in 35 years it's that this is exactly when the Mets crush your soul. 

Final score Padres 7 Giants 2.

I know how you feel.  I been at this a bit more than your 35 years.  And other than 1973, I can't remember a time when the Mets won a tight race.  Maybe 1999, when they tied with Cincy and won the play in game.  Other than that, we have always been left on the outside looking in when we are in a tight race.  I love the fight this team shows and I am cautiously optimistic that they get it done this year.  Getting it done being playoff appearance.  Anything beyond that would be shocking with the roster in the shape it is in. 

Approaching the last week of the season still in the hunt with a rotation that includes Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman, Gabrile Ynoa and now Sean Gilmartin tonight.  And we are 12-5 in games started by these guys.  Huge win last night, especially considering that we were able to rest Reed, Salas, Blevins and Familia.  Great outing by Robles allowed those guys a much needed night off.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Approaching the last week of the season still in the hunt with a rotation that includes Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman, Gabrile Ynoa and now Sean Gilmartin tonight.  And we are 12-5 in games started by these guys.  Huge win last night, especially considering that we were able to rest Reed, Salas, Blevins and Familia.  Great outing by Robles allowed those guys a much needed night off.

You got this stat from Gary Cohen last night .

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

Final score Padres 7 Giants 2.

I know how you feel.  I been at this a bit more than your 35 years.  And other than 1973, I can't remember a time when the Mets won a tight race.  Maybe 1999, when they tied with Cincy and won the play in game.  Other than that, we have always been left on the outside looking in when we are in a tight race.  I love the fight this team shows and I am cautiously optimistic that they get it done this year.  Getting it done being playoff appearance.  Anything beyond that would be shocking with the roster in the shape it is in. 

Was looking at the Mets pitching stats.... 3rd in team ERA, top 5 in Quality Starts and Top 10 in WHIP and BAA

I could not believe how well the Pitching staff has been doing despite 3/5 of our SP have been injured through most of the season.

Add to that out bottom 25% in most batting categories and I'm amazed by the fight this team has showed to get 85+ wins this season. Hope it will be enough!

Looks like Terry gets that last yr. on his deal.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Giants are down by 5 in the 8th. I have officially reached the point of expecting something disappointing to happen, because if there's one thing I've learned in 35 years it's that this is exactly when the Mets crush your soul. 

I don't get that same feeling with the Mets like I do with the Jets.  2006-2008 they "crushed our souls"  but other than that not I haven't felt devastated by them like with the Jets. Sure they gave the WS away last year but how they got there made that less painful.

Maybe I am forgetting a few 80's races with the Cards or the post 86 team not winning the rings many felt they were destined for.  

Looks like they've really turned the page on Jay Bruce. Terry did say he won't play people who don't hit. Even when they use him as a pinch hitter it ends up with a K. We all knew he was a streak hitter but he's basically no longer relevant as far as this season unless something drastically happens in a week. So right now if the Mets make it I doubt he's on the post season roster. And if he isn't, not back with the Mets next year. They have an option to sign him for 2017 at 13 mil which is not a lot of money for a power hitter. http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/jay-bruce-5219/ I guess they can decline or trade him to another team. There could be some interest. btw as for Dilson Herrera. He hit .266 at Louisville for the Reds in  24 games (2 hrs and 9 rbis). And before the trade he hit ten points higher in LV for the Mets (13 hrs and 55 rbis in 86 games). He was not called up by Cincy in Sept. http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=herrer000dil

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Looks like they've really turned the page on Jay Bruce. Terry did say he won't play people who don't hit. Even when they use him as a pinch hitter it ends up with a K. We all knew he was a streak hitter but he's basically no longer relevant as far as this season unless something drastically happens in a week. So right now if the Mets make it I doubt he's on the post season roster. And if he isn't, not back with the Mets next year. They have an option to sign him for 2017 at 13 mil which is not a lot of money for a power hitter. http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/jay-bruce-5219/ I guess they can decline or trade him to another team. There could be some interest. btw as for Dilson Herrera. He hit .266 at Louisville for the Reds in  24 games (2 hrs and 9 rbis). And before the trade he hit ten points higher in LV for the Mets (13 hrs and 55 rbis in 86 games). He was not called up by Cincy in Sept. http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=herrer000dil

Is he trying o get dumped by the Mets? I would hope not, but if he hates it here that much...? Maybe.

As our team stands now, we have to play the guys who are stroking it. If we get through to Chicago we need Bruce to step up.

It will be tough getting by the Cubs without somebody protecting Cespedes. Cubs will be putting 6 runs a game on the board... we need 7!!

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Is he trying o get dumped by the Mets? I would hope not, but if he hates it here that much...? Maybe.

As our team stands now, we have to play the guys who are stroking it. If we get through to Chicago we need Bruce to step up.

It will be tough getting by the Cubs without somebody protecting Cespedes. Cubs will be putting 6 runs a game on the board... we need 7!!

He's not doing it on purpose. But not crazy about Terry benching him and using minor leaguers to pinch hit for him. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's not doing it on purpose. But not crazy about Terry benching him and using minor leaguers to pinch hit for him. 

Which minor leaguer did Terry use, and how did he do?

Bruce has had every opportunity to get going from Terry. So has Conforto and Grandy. At this point Bruce is odd man out because Grandy and Conforto have earned the playing time. 

With that said I'll bet he'll still get chances, and if he shows any sign of what he did with the Reds he'll play. The more guys that hit the better the chances to advance. Terry is trying to get in and set it up for us to have a fighting chance if we do get in. It would have to be around a good and hot hitting team and guys like Conforto or Bruce hitting increase our chances, obviously

Just now, JohnJ said:

Which minor leaguer did Terry use, and how did he do?

Bruce has had every opportunity to get going from Terry. So has Conforto and Grandy. At this point Bruce is odd man out because Grandy and Conforto have earned the playing time. 

With that said I'll bet he'll still get chances, and if he shows any sign of what he did with the Reds he'll play. The more guys that hit the better the chances to advance. Terry is trying to get in and set it up for us to have a fighting chance if we do get in. It would have to be around a good and hot hitting team and guys like Conforto or Bruce hitting increase our chances, obviously

Campbell pinch hit for him. It was major and Gary, Keith and Ron made a big deal out of it. Look at the time I thought it was a good trade. But he's benched with only about 7 games left and they basically gave up on him. They don't have time left to give him more chances. I think he's off the post season roster unless he gets a chance to play and hits. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Campbell pinch hit for him. It was major and Gary, Keith and Ron made a big deal out of it. Look at the time I thought it was a good trade. But he's benched with only about 7 games left and they basically gave up on him. They don't have time left to give him more chances. I think he's off the post season roster unless he gets a chance to play and hits. 

If we face a lefty, which is very possible in the WC game, then yes, he could be left off the roster for that game but I can't see them not having him on it for a full series. 

Power hitters are streaky. Juston Upton was written off as a bust signing for Detroit until the middle of August when he basically started homering 2-3 times a week. We need Bruce to hit one of those streaks. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah, and Campbell got a hit. So it was a good move. Campbell is 3-8 as a pinch hitter too, with four walks, a .583 obp, and two rbi's.

Ronnie didn't like it, but Keith did. I don't really care what Gary thought.

I liked the trade. And I'm all for Bruce getting more chances too.. But Terry doesn't have the luxury of other considerations and what they mean. The move worked out and was a good move.

Especially when you consider that Conforto has contributed since too. still want Bruce to get more chances too.

I'm not concerned with next year right now, and I was hoping Bruce would be an option. But I don't think he's a fit anymore.

3 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

If we face a lefty, which is very possible in the WC game, then yes, he could be left off the roster for that game but I can't see them not having him on it for a full series. 

Power hitters are streaky. Juston Upton was written off as a bust signing for Detroit until the middle of August when he basically started homering 2-3 times a week. We need Bruce to hit one of those streaks. 

I thought it was kind of fast to completely bench him. And didn't agree with pinch hitting Campbell for him a guy who in MLB games is always sub .200. It shows no faith in him and is insulting. But they have no time left to use slumping players. I think they've given up on him. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I thought it was kind of fast to completely bench him. And didn't agree with pinch hitting Campbell for him a guy who in MLB games is always sub .200. It shows no faith in him and is insulting. But they have no time left to use slumping players. I think they've given up on him. 

Aw, Terry hurt his feelings. And Campbell got a hit, and has played excellent baseball since he's been up here again, and that's the only thing that matters to Terry- what he's done to help win games.... right here and now, tonight, not months ago some where else, or what's going to happen next year.

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Aw, Terry hurt his feelings. And Campbell got a hit, and has played excellent baseball since he's been up here again, and that's the only thing that matters to him- what he's done to help win games.... right here and now, tonight, not months ago some where else, or what's going to happen next year.

Well Bruce manned up on it and didn't complain at all. Said he understood it. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well Bruce manned up on it and didn't complain at all. Said he understood it. 

Yeah, he did. Terry mentioned afterwards that he talked to Bruce before and after and that Bruce was okay. He'll get another chance I bet.

I'm disappointed. Bruce could have made a big difference but it hasn't happened. I was hopeful about next year also, but have given up on that. 

35 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Agreed. I understand having him sit until we get the WC locked up. Once that's accomplished you have to get him AB to get the mojo going.

Once we get into a 5 or 7 game series, we're going to need him BIG time.

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yeah, he did. Terry mentioned afterwards that he talked to Bruce before and after and that Bruce was okay. He'll get another chance I bet.

I'm disappointed. Bruce could have made a big difference but it hasn't happened. I was hopeful about next year also, but have given up on that. 

It was a good trade. Just like you said a big bat to go along with Cespedes. But the guy has gotten worse. Can't get this guy Franco out. Probably the Phillies best player. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It was a good trade. Just like you said a big bat to go along with Cespedes. But the guy has gotten worse. Can't get this guy Franco out. Probably the Phillies best player. 

I agree. No regrets regarding Dilson. It was a good try. It's just amazing how they've held on all season. I still hold out hope for him and the team. 

We'll be tied with SF and 1/2 game up on Cards.

Phillies and Braves are getting these young guys a lot of playing.... they'll be tough for the next sveral years.

Add to that a Cubs team that shouldbe dominant for the next 5 yrs. and an LA team with Seager and some other young guys to go with Kershaw.

Better start nailing some drafts Sandy!!!

Was saying it all June and July. When the Mets were hitting the breaks hard, they should have been playing these kids. They are talented and energetic and exactly what the team needed at the time. I truly do think that we'd probably be playing to clinch right now if they had just made some different roster decisions and tonight is yet another example of that.

Naturally D'Arnaud had to be the guy up there.

I guess with these injuries and offense and bullpen inconsistencies most of us are pessimistic even if they get into the playoffs. I am. Nice to see Jay Bruce hit one out, he has such power that if you miss your mark and he accidentally makes contact the ball travels far. But I'd play him today anyways because at worst you'll get 4 Ks and the other guy they play might also not hit. It's worth it and sometimes Terry puts a guy in after a good performance. If the guy gets hot we're in the playoffs,.He is so far down on the depth chart that when the score was 10-0 Terry put in the call ups over him.  Interesting stat from LV that Gavin Cecchini made something like 35 errors during their season. He might have a live bat and hit well in Vegas (but who didn't). But you can't be a MLB SS with those kind of defensive stats. I still think the Mets got rid of the wrong guy. Even if a personality clash  in the org Wally is our best option to get the most out of this lineup. 

12 hours ago, no psls said:

Still alive ; still alive ; thank god ; still alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 game up in the WC race with 6 to play.  Who would not have signed up for that on August 15.  

Too bad the Jets couldn't put up 17 yesterday, then maybe Fitz wouldn't have spent the second half forcing balls into double and triple coverage.  But I digress.  At least we have the Mets this week to take the sting out of yesterday.

Archived