2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It would be huge to save Thor for the WC game.

Gsellman tomorrow vs. Phils.... what a great job by this team despite an onslaught of injuries.

Apparently Collins mentioned yesterday that he might come back with Colon on short rest on Friday night, given his short outing on Monday, and this way he is fully rested for a wild card game on Wednesday in case the Mets need Thor on Sunday or in a play in scenario.  From Adam Rubin:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0572877841570471112-4

Since Bartolo Colon only threw 47 pitches on Monday in Miami, Terry Collins told reporters Colon may come back on short rest on Friday in Philadelphia. That would put Colon on the proper rest for next Wednesday's wild-card game if Noah Syndergaard is unavailable. Syndergaard is due to pitch the regular-season finale on Sunday in Philadelphia. Syndergaard would be limited to only 25 pitches if the Mets already have clinched and then pitch the wild-card game. But he'll go far longer if the Mets need that game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't make any decisions on rotation until the games of today play out.

At this point, it seems difficult for either the Giants or Cardinals to be able to win two games in a row. 

The Phillies bullpen is an absolute wreck right now. You wait out whatever starter they throw out there, and then feast on that bullpen. The Mets are in a very good spot here. They are the team of the 3 that can sit on results and then figure out how to juggle their staff

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Apparently Collins mentioned yesterday that he might come back with Colon on short rest on Friday night, given his short outing on Monday, and this way he is fully rested for a wild card game on Wednesday in case the Mets need Thor on Sunday or in a play in scenario.  From Adam Rubin:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0572877841570471112-4

If anyone can do it, its the well conditioned young ironman, Tolo!  lmfao.  Guy is amazing.

They need Thor for the WC game...I think this has to be the recipe.  Especially with both the Cards and Giants losing. 

If Bruce can continue to wake up it makes the lineup a lot better. Glad Terry finally is playing Rivera everyday also. Lugo, Gsellman in the rotation who would have laid odds on that at the beginning of the season and still make the playoffs

If the Giants lose tonight I say pull both Tolo and Thor and roll the dice so you can have both Thor in the WC game and Tolo ready for either Game 1 in the NLDS or cleanup duty if Thor bombs. I know it's bad form to do that before you have anything locked up but this is a sudden death playoff game here and that changes everything. 

2 minutes ago, faba said:

If Bruce can continue to wake up it makes the lineup a lot better. Glad Terry finally is playing Rivera everyday also. Lugo, Gsellman in the rotation who would have laid odds on that at the beginning of the season and still make the playoffs

I think the sample size on Rivera is large enough to where they can let Walker go next year, but maybe that's just me. I'd be cool with it if it helped them retain Cespedes.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the Giants lose tonight I say pull both Tolo and Thor and roll the dice so you can have both Thor in the WC game and Tolo ready for either Game 1 in the NLDS or cleanup duty if Thor bombs. I know it's bad form to do that before you have anything locked up but this is a sudden death playoff game here and that changes everything. 

I think the idea behind having Bart go tomorrow is so that he is ready to go for a potential WC game if Thor is needed should Sunday become a potential elimination game.  If we lock up a spot before Sunday, then you have Thor for the WC and Bart for Game 1 of NLDS (assuming we get by the WC).  The downside to this strategy would be if we wind up in a 3 way tie and used both Bart on Friday and Thor on Sunday we would be relying on Lugo in the play-in game, but at this point, that seems unlikely.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the sample size on Rivera is large enough to where they can let Walker go next year, but maybe that's just me. I'd be cool with it if it helped them retain Cespedes.

I actually meant Rivera at catcher but good point also

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think the idea behind having Bart go tomorrow is so that he is ready to go for a potential WC game if Thor is needed should Sunday become a potential elimination game.  If we lock up a spot before Sunday, then you have Thor for the WC and Bart for Game 1 of NLDS (assuming we get by the WC).  The downside to this strategy would be if we wind up in a 3 way tie and used both Bart on Friday and Thor on Sunday we would be relying on Lugo in the play-in game, but at this point, that seems unlikely.

I get that. I just disagree with setting the rotation under the concept that we're fighting for a wild card spot. We aren't. After last night we are playing for home field, and if Cueto can't come through for the Giants tonight that's pretty much locked up too.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get that. I just disagree with setting the rotation under the concept that we're fighting for a wild card spot. We aren't. After last night we are playing for home field, and if Cueto can't come through for the Giants tonight that's pretty much locked up too.

Until it is clinched, I am not assuming anything.  Agree that it looks real good for us right now, and the plan appears to be to have Thor rested and ready to go next Wednesday.  The contingency is for Bart to go Wednesday if Thor still needs to go Sunday.  I do not have a problem with that strategy.  Appears to me as if Terry is setting up the rotation for the post season.  Either Thor or Bart will be available Wednesday and the other will be ready to go Friday (if we get that far).  The way I interpret it, Collins is setting the rotation up for the playoffs, not as if he is fighting for the WC.

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

Until it is clinched, I am not assuming anything.  Agree that it looks real good for us right now, and the plan appears to be to have Thor rested and ready to go next Wednesday.  The contingency is for Bart to go Wednesday if Thor still needs to go Sunday.  I do not have a problem with that strategy.  Appears to me as if Terry is setting up the rotation for the post season.  Either Thor or Bart will be available Wednesday and the other will be ready to go Friday (if we get that far).  The way I interpret it, Collins is setting the rotation up for the playoffs, not as if he is fighting for the WC.

I think if they were playing to get into a series then absolutely. But you have to plan ahead for a sudden death format, and if SF bombs tonight the Mets up 2 with 3 to go. That's a safe enough bet to play.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Win tomorrow night and I think St. Louis is bound to lose one of the next 4 to Cincy or Pitt.

SF losing 2 of 3 to LA or tonight vs. Colorado and 1 of 3 at LA should still get us the HFA.

Would much rather face St. Louis than Cueto/Bumgartner.

Worst case scenario for the Mets tonight is StL loses and SF wins, both likely. If that happens the Cards are pretty much dead in the water and SF can start planning to rest Bumgarner for the WC game. What I am trying to say is that if that happens, the Mets need to seriously start planning for that. Bumgarner is the best big game pitcher since Schilling. The guy has a 2.14 ERA and 7-3 record in the playoffs. You cannot **** around and say we only have to focus on locking up the wild card, because if you do you're going to be caught in a situation where you don't have your Cy Young candidate pitcher available at all. That can't happen if we're going up against Bumgarner.

Look at the pitching matchups for LA/SF. The Giants are not going to sweep that series. You have to play the odds on how this is going to play out because of the basic nature of a sudden death game.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Worst case scenario for the Mets tonight is StL loses and SF wins, both likely. If that happens the Cards are pretty much dead in the water and SF can start planning to rest Bumgarner for the WC game. What I am trying to say is that if that happens, the Mets need to seriously start planning for that. Bumgarner is the best big game pitcher since Schilling. The guy has a 2.14 ERA and 7-3 record in the playoffs. You cannot **** around and say we only have to focus on locking up the wild card, because if you do you're going to be caught in a situation where you don't have your Cy Young candidate pitcher available at all. That can't happen if we're going up against Bumgarner.

Look at the pitching matchups for LA/SF. The Giants are not going to sweep that series. You have to play the odds on how this is going to play out because of the basic nature of a sudden death game.

Agreed. Hoping LA doesn't rest players against the Giants and cuts the head off their nemesis!

Pitt has nothing to play for, so I'm hoping they play some of the kids vs. SL

But 1st they both need to lose tonight so we can clinch tomorrow night.

As of 9/30 Mets up 1 on SF, 2 on St. Louis

St. Louis gets a Pitt team throwing hot garbage at them for the series.

Meanwhile SF gets Kershaw & Maeda the last 2 games.

Very well could be Mets vs. St. Louis for WC if we take care of business

Also St. Louis will be burning  Wainright on Sunday. 

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. Hoping LA doesn't rest players against the Giants and cuts the head off their nemesis!

Pitt has nothing to play for, so I'm hoping they play some of the kids vs. SL

But 1st they both need to lose tonight so we can clinch tomorrow night.

MLB should be disgraced at how that Cards game was allowed to end last night.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

If the Mets don't win 2 of 3 at least in Philadelphia, I am able to accept that they don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

If they want to celebrate winning a wild card, I am fine with that.They have earned it. Then go on to new business. 

Agreed.  If you cant take care of your own, you dont deserve it.  And screw backing in.  Go get it done.

5 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

MLB should be disgraced at how that Cards game was allowed to end last night.

If Manfred had any balls , he would make the teams replay the end of the game with second and third and two outs . But , we all know that Manfred is a pussy .

1 hour ago, no psls said:

If Manfred had any balls , he would make the teams replay the end of the game with second and third and two outs . But , we all know that Manfred is a pussy .

Yup.  Shame that a game that is so important to the WC race should end on an obvious blown call.  Every other play throughout the game, teams get plenty of time to review video to decide whether or not to challenge or to ask for an umpire's challenge, but the last play needs to be challenged "immediately."  Any other Time in the game and that call is reversed.  Total BS.  Even though it could wind up helping us -- as long as we win 2 of our last 3.  That game makes a tie and a play-in game between the Giants and Cards more likely.

Going split screen with the Cards game on MLB At Bat right now is amazing. I know people hate on Manfred, but you have to give credit for MLB's streaming. As someone who's made the switch over and unplugged completely I think MLB's system is by far the best in existence in the sports world.

Yeah, I've subscribed for years now. I just enjoy the summer pastime, and before we got good last year I would take interest in another team or two also.

If it weren't for the Mets and Jets I'd cut the cord in a heartbeat.

JB with two big ribby's !!!

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

And Bruce again with another RBI. Wow.

Really happy for Collins with how this is playing out. He stuck by Bruce when literally the entire city of New York was screaming for him not to. This board and myself included in that.

Not me. Sooner or later guys always play to the back of their baseball card.  I think we got lucky though that after a good game or two by Conforto, Bruce hit a homer finally and Terry rolled him out there the next day and the rest is history. Terry was very close to abandoning him. 

I think this is my favorite line-up potential wise since the Delgado-Beltran days.  Next season may be even better if everyone stays healthy and Yo , Bruce and Walker are back.

15 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Not me. Sooner or later guys always play to the back of their baseball card.  I think we got lucky though that after a good game or two by Conforto, Bruce hit a homer finally and Terry rolled him out there the next day and the rest is history. Terry was very close to abandoning him. 

I think this is my favorite line-up potential wise since the Delgado-Beltran days.  Next season may be even better if everyone stays healthy and Yo , Bruce and Walker are back.

I am not so sure Walker is going to be back with TJ's emergence. If they plan on keeping Bruce and Yo opts out they might not have the funds to do that anyways.

A win tomorrow clinches home field. Wow wow wow. I cannot believe it.

Maddon is probably a lock but honestly Collins deserves MOTY. Forget all the scrutiny he faced all summer, he lost half his ******* team and they fought back with a replacement pitching rotation and half a lineup to win probably the top WC slot. That's way more valuable than notching 100 with All Stars at every position. Sorry but it just is.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A win tomorrow clinches home field. Wow wow wow. I cannot believe it.

Maddon is probably a lock but honestly Collins deserves MOTY. Forget all the scrutiny he faced all summer, he lost half his ******* team and they fought back with a replacement pitching rotation and half a lineup to win probably the top WC slot. That's way more valuable than notching 100 with All Stars at every position. Sorry but it just is.

Add to that last yrs. WS appearance and apart from Cespedes and Murphy didn't have much offensive talent. He should be in the MOTY discussion.

Chicago is LOADED!

He's earned his 1 yr. extension and probably another if he decides to delay his retirement.  I think SA would love to move on to another manager, but how can you kick the guy to the curb when he's been a good soldier in the lean yrs. and 2 years in a row reaches the post season?

Having Bruce, Yo, Cabrera and Jose on offense, plus Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom and Thor as your SP..... Mets will be in the hunt once again!

Archived