Jump to content
adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

P.S. For the second time in my life an all-time great playoff catch made by a Met will now be rendered forgotten because they lost the game.

That catch was amazing. Seriously just fearless because he wasn't going to let the wall stop him from making the play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That catch was amazing. Seriously just fearless because he wasn't going to let the wall stop him from making the play.

I know he had his best years with the Yanks but he brought something special to Queens in his time here. He certainly had his down streaks, but more often than not when the Mets hand out a contract like that it usually flops and to be honest with what he brought to the team the past 2 seasons we probably underpaid. We all thought our outfield was screwed this year when he was the only option to play center, and I don't know where he found it but he somehow found his legs to play the position again, and none of us thought he could. Especially in a place like Citi where there is so much ground to cover.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I know he had his best years with the Yanks but he brought something special to Queens in his time here. He certainly had his down streaks, but more often than not when the Mets hand out a contract like that it usually flops and to be honest with what he brought to the team the past 2 seasons we probably underpaid. We all thought our outfield was screwed this year when he was the only option to play center, and I don't know where he found it but he somehow found his legs to play the position again, and none of us thought he could. Especially in a place like Citi where there is so much ground to cover.

35 years old, playing center in a big park and hitting 30 home runs, that is a pretty damn good year. He was always streaky but he plays the game the right way and is very easy to root for. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

35 years old, playing center in a big park and hitting 30 home runs, that is a pretty damn good year. He was always streaky but he plays the game the right way and is very easy to root for. 

Worth noting that 12 of those came from mid-August on, including a 4-game streak. He has been notoriously slow in the Spring but when the team has put itself in contention he has come through every time when it was needed. He's played any position they have asked him to and has hit in every single part of the lineup at some point. I'll take an entire team of that guy any day.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Mets fans. I was rooting for you, if for nothing else to distract you from being Jets fans for a little while anyway. That Bumgarner is something else. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collins blew it by taking out Syndegard. Should have let him pitch a complete game like Bumgardner.

Familia better get out of NY. He is worse than Armando Benitez was in big spots,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

World Series Familia returned with a vengeance.

Putting him out there was the right call. Bumgarner was unreal so I don't know how much to put on the hitters. Nobody made any colossal errors. Thor pitched the game of his life. Yup, that one's on Fams.

Tough break. That was a fantastic game to watch into the 9th.

I hate to place things on umpires, and I won't totally put this on the umpire, but he was an influence at home plate. Bumgarner really seemed to intimidate him. All of a sudden, the bottom of the zone disappeared. Familia lies down there and he was not getting any of those calls. I necessitated Familia elevating, and that is where he got hurt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look on the bright side, now the convo for the next several months turns to the contracts of Cespedes and Bruce. :shoots self:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am sad but happy. we went through a lot of adversity to get to the wild card game. Familia is going to have to live with another playoff takedown- he is a marked man in Met fans circles that i know. Lots of question marks for next year on the roster- guarantee will be interesting

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we all knew it would be tough vs. Bum and the greatest postseason pitcher of all time showed up.

Familia has no balls.  And should be Thor's personal slave for the offseason.  

Next year, right guys? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look on the bright side, now the convo for the next several months turns to the contracts of Cespedes and Bruce. :shoots self:

Bruce is under contract for a "reasonable" $13 mil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we saw last night was not unfamiliar for the 2016 season. A team who can't put hits together and Familia struggling although usually getting out of trouble. But he gave up a game losing 3 run HR to a guy you never heard of. It happens a lot in baseball but overall the result last night was not that surprising. Baumgarter has a great post season record but recently wasn't pitching great baseball. A key to last night was our impact bat Cespedes not producing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rangers9 said:

What we saw last night was not unfamiliar for the 2016 season. A team who can't put hits together and Familia struggling although usually getting out of trouble. But he gave up a game losing 3 run HR to a guy you never heard of. It happens a lot in baseball but overall the result last night was not that surprising. Baumgarter nas a great post season record but recently wasn't pitching great baseball. A key to last night was our impact bat Cespedes not producing. 

The Mets batters went into the night with a gameplan of trying to hit Bumgarner early in counts (the book on him). It did not work. That also left Bumgarner with a very low pitch count through three innings. It allowed Bum to stick in that game for 9 innings. Once he only had something like 30 pitches through 3 innings, I knew it would be an uphill slog.

They had to try and get into that bullpen. That is what will probably sink them against the Cubs.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What we saw last night was not unfamiliar for the 2016 season. A team who can't put hits together and Familia struggling although usually getting out of trouble. But he gave up a game losing 3 run HR to a guy you never heard of. It happens a lot in baseball but overall the result last night was not that surprising. Baumgarter has a great post season record but recently wasn't pitching great baseball. A key to last night was our impact bat Cespedes not producing. 

If Fams doesn't give up that HR, Bochy pinch hits for Bumgarner and we go into the 9th, possibly extra innings, against a very suspect bullpen. 

Cespedes was not stretching pregame with the other position players so the quad was probably still an issue, and why he disappeared down the stretch too. And that's partially on the Mets for asking him to play center so often early on. And I'm not really sure how much it mattered anyways. Bumgarner won that game more than the Mets lost it. Some will try to make excuses and blame Collins or Cespedes, but honestly the greatest postseason pitcher since Bob Gibson showed up and that's about the brunt of it. Fams is a choke artist, but Bumgarner won that game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

World Series Familia returned with a vengeance.

Putting him out there was the right call. Bumgarner was unreal so I don't know how much to put on the hitters. Nobody made any colossal errors. Thor pitched the game of his life. Yup, that one's on Fams.

Tough break. That was a fantastic game to watch into the 9th.

I agree.  Only criticism I have of the team from last night was the approach at the plate vs Bumgarner.  Swinging at first pitches against a team whose biggest weakness is the bullpen.  After he got through 3 innings on 21 pitches, you knew that the only way we were seeing there bullpen is if we scratched out a run to take a late lead and he was removed for a pinch hitter, or if the game went to extras.  We had some nice at bats in the middle innings, worked some counts, fouled off some tough pitches, got a few base runners, but we didn't do it consistently enough throughout the game.

2 of the best postseason pitching performances wasted in our last 2 postseason games between Harvey last year and Thor lasts night.  But thats just the way baseball is sometimes.  

Disappointing end to an unlikely, fun season.  Hard to be too upset after the run they went on with contributions from guys nobody expected would even be on the roster. This team still outperformed expectations given the plague of injuries.  Next season, we need to get the bats going in April nad not August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cespedes was not stretching pregame with the other position players so the quad was probably still an issue, and why he disappeared down the stretch too.

I thought the quad hampered him on Crawford;s double in the 9th.  He could barely move -- a healthy Ces might have cut that ball off and help him to a single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not trying to rip Cespedes because there are 24 other guys on the roster. And maybe there were reasons for him not hitting. But at this stage of the season almost every player has injuries. The thing is Cespedes is our impact player. And our offense revolves around him. I hope he stays with the Mets and probably he will accept the final two years of his contract which are very lucrative. Possibly Sandy will give him a couple of more years as a compromise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mets lost to arguably the greatest post season pitcher of all time. It's a tough loss but Syndergaard was awesome, we had a lot of injuries and we ran into one of the best post season pitchers ever.

I feel bad for Familia but he was terrible. He's got to move past this. He was lights out leading up to the World Series last year and now all of a sudden he's struggling in the post season. This is going to follow him until he starts saving post season games again. I look forward to a healthy 2017.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  Only criticism I have of the team from last night was the approach at the plate vs Bumgarner.  Swinging at first pitches against a team whose biggest weakness is the bullpen.  After he got through 3 innings on 21 pitches, you knew that the only way we were seeing there bullpen is if we scratched out a run to take a late lead and he was removed for a pinch hitter, or if the game went to extras.  We had some nice at bats in the middle innings, worked some counts, fouled off some tough pitches, got a few base runners, but we didn't do it consistently enough throughout the game.

2 of the best postseason pitching performances wasted in our last 2 postseason games between Harvey last year and Thor lasts night.  But thats just the way baseball is sometimes.  

Disappointing end to an unlikely, fun season.  Hard to be too upset after the run they went on with contributions from guys nobody expected would even be on the roster. This team still outperformed expectations given the plague of injuries.  Next season, we need to get the bats going in April nad not August.

To be honest I think Collins went in with the mentality that he could throw 130-40 pitches if he needed to because he's such a freak, so stick with what the book says which is you can belt one out early in counts. After the 3rd they deviated from that which was fine. I'm not sure it would have made any difference. If they had gotten him to throw 20 more pitches in those first 3 innings, do you think he's still out there in the 9th? Probably.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

To be honest I think Collins went in with the mentality that he could throw 130-40 pitches if he needed to because he's such a freak, so stick with what the book says which is you can belt one out early in counts. After the 3rd they deviated from that which was fine. I'm not sure it would have made any difference. If they had gotten him to throw 20 more pitches in those first 3 innings, do you think he's still out there in the 9th? Probably.

You may be right.  He may have been out there for 9 regardless of pitch count, but we made it awfully easy on him. Knowing that the bullpen is the weakness of the Giants, and given how well Thor was throwing, they weren't going to score much.  I would have like to seen Bumgarner pitch more innings under stress.  We made it easy on him except for the middle innings.  

I was very frustrated after those first 3 innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lith said:

You may be right.  He may have been out there for 9 regardless of pitch count, but we made it awfully easy on him. Knowing that the bullpen is the weakness of the Giants, and given how well Thor was throwing, they weren't going to score much.  I would have like to seen Bumgarner pitch more innings under stress.  We made it easy on him except for the middle innings.  

I was very frustrated after those first 3 innings.

We were a home run team. He pounded us with fast balls high in the zone, so they swung as home run teams do. Both parties made the right call. He's just amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Lith said:

I thought the quad hampered him on Crawford;s double in the 9th.  He could barely move -- a healthy Ces might have cut that ball off and help him to a single.

That ball should be cut off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, deucebag said:

Familia's gotta go...

After you give up a shot like that, how do you come back to spring training and look at other players from the team?

I'm not trying to be mean to the guy, that's just got to be so rough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

After you give up a shot like that, how do you come back to spring training and look at other players from the team?

I'm not trying to be mean to the guy, that's just got to be so rough.

He did worse last year, and came back and saved 51 games. Mets are not even in playoffs without Familia. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He did worse last year, and came back and saved 51 games. Mets are not even in playoffs without Familia. 

I'm not even trying to put him down as a player.  I would have a hard time coming back to the locker room.   That (and a lack of talent) is why I could not be a closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Collins blew it by taking out Syndegard. Should have let him pitch a complete game like Bumgardner.

We'd already asked Thor to do too much this year.  Now you want him to throw 125+ pitches when his average velocity is amongst the highest in the game?  Not physically possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He did worse last year, and came back and saved 51 games. Mets are not even in playoffs without Familia. 

It is tough because it is much easier to remember the bad. But he is young (26) and had such a good year.

I think he is arbitration eligible again so he will make much more than 4.1 million but still should be reasonable enough where he is back. Closers need short memories, sometimes fans have a harder time forgetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dudes, that's Bum.  He's just on another planet.  I literally wasn't even mad last night.  I mean, the home run stung but Bum is Jordan game 7. Nothing you can do about it. Just sit back and watch a master at work. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dudes, that's Bum.  He's just on another planet.  I literally wasn't even mad last night.  I mean, the home run stung but Bum is Jordan game 7. Nothing you can do about it. Just sit back and watch a master at work. 

Yup. I was bummed bad tho....still am. Pun intended, sorry.

 

Obviously you don't just discard Familia. But like Duquette said last night, a pattern could be happening with Familia.

Boone brought up a good point also, Familia is shaky with his command, and in a pressure situation that gets accentuated.

And Familia is a terrible defensive pitcher, bad.

 

However, Familia is a young guy still and can work on his craft to get better at everything. Just like Noah, Matz & Co.

 

Gonna be a fun hot stove for us.

 

If the Coupons don'rt bring back Ces I'm gonna genuinely hate those guys. More than Woody....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...