2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I hate to place things on umpires, and I won't totally put this on the umpire, but he was an influence at home plate. Bumgarner really seemed to intimidate him. All of a sudden, the bottom of the zone disappeared. Familia lies down there and he was not getting any of those calls. I necessitated Familia elevating, and that is where he got hurt.

Agree with this 100%.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We lost, but I cannot really complain about anything this Mets team mustered from this season. The Mets, their fans, make the post-season more exciting. This specific team overcame adversity in a way I'm not used to from the shlub teams I root for. I'm proud of them, regardless of the outcome last night. It took damn-near perfect pitching from Bum to beat them.

That game last night was the type of baseball I love. It was more entertaining and dramatic than anything I've watched in the NFL this year.

If the NFL continues this trend of watering down the product baseball could steal back some of the spotlight.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dudes, that's Bum.  He's just on another planet.  I literally wasn't even mad last night.  I mean, the home run stung but Bum is Jordan game 7. Nothing you can do about it. Just sit back and watch a master at work. 

Exactly.

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It is tough because it is much easier to remember the bad. But he is young (26) and had such a good year.

I think he is arbitration eligible again so he will make much more than 4.1 million but still should be reasonable enough where he is back. Closers need short memories, sometimes fans have a harder time forgetting.

The playoff choking criticism is fair and you can include me in it. But it is worth noting that both years have come at the end of the Mets riding him hard into workloads that he had never ventured into before. 

Will be interesting to see how Collins handles him next year. We will have to be a lot more careful with his workload and fatigue. There were a ton of situations this year where the Mets leaned on him harder than any other closer in baseball this year. The good news is that because of this they will almost certainly pay Reed.

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We lost, but I cannot really complain about anything this Mets team mustered from this season. The Mets, their fans, make the post-season more exciting. This specific team overcame adversity in a way I'm not used to from the shlub teams I root for. I'm proud of them, regardless of the outcome last night. It took damn-near perfect pitching from Bum to beat them.

That game last night was the type of baseball I love. It was more entertaining and dramatic than anything I've watched in the NFL this year.

If the NFL continues this trend of watering down the product baseball could steal back some of the spotlight.

MLB has been better than the NFL for a little while now. Happy people are starting to catch up with it. There is a sizable sect of fans that do not like Manfred, which I find odd because the changes they have instituted into the game have been drawing more people in and making the games more exciting, especially the playoffs. That the Mets have been a big part of things the past few years is certainly a bonus, but this is one of the better eras of the game that we've seen in history.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We'd already asked Thor to do too much this year.  Now you want him to throw 125+ pitches when his average velocity is amongst the highest in the game?  Not physically possible.

Couldnt disagree more strongly.

Bumgardner could go 9 but Noah couldnt??

It was winner take all and he was on what 7 days rest or something?

The bigger mistake was giving Familia the big stage to fail on...............again.

I would have rather seen Colon or another starter get some innings.

Shame because the Mets would in all likelyhood beat the Cubs again.

13 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Couldnt disagree more strongly.

Bumgardner could go 9 but Noah couldnt??

Yes. Thor is notorious for falling off after 100 pitches and has generally struggled when asked to do so. It was evident this was going to be the case last night with 2 outs in the 7th when he already began to struggle and lose some velocity and movement off his pitches. I am not sure how much of him you have watched, but if you have seen him pitch regularly this year that was always going to be the case. 

Bumgarner is a different type of freak and also a completely different type of pitcher. It's a false and completely unfair equivalence to make. He can do things that no other pitcher in baseball can do. That's what makes him him. Collins made the right call and that's why almost nobody is ripping him for it this morning.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The playoff choking criticism is fair and you can include me in it. But it is worth noting that both years have come at the end of the Mets riding him hard into workloads that he had never ventured into before. 

Will be interesting to see how Collins handles him next year. We will have to be a lot more careful with his workload and fatigue. There were a ton of situations this year where the Mets leaned on him harder than any other closer in baseball this year. The good news is that because of this they will almost certainly pay Reed.

Nonsense...a sinker ball pitcher needs a lot of work -or the ball wont sink.  I feel it is more to do with his emotions and overthrowing....he loses his sink when he overthrows.  I do not want him closing anymore...he had a shaky year, walks too many batters.  I believe a guy like Familia is better off being a starter - like he started his career in the minor leagues.  IDK how you go back to a guy who blew his last 4 post season save attempts.    

I believe this is going to be a very busy offseason, a lot of trades and signings.   What I want:

1.  Do NOT bring Walker back.   Lets be honest, Walker and Cabrera had career years and such productivity will NOT repeat.  You want to tender him in hopes of getting a draft pick - go for it - but I do not want him back.  Next year - watch - Walker has a .260 12 55 type season = not worth the $$$.

2.  Resign Cespedes -he is the straw that stirs the drink. 3 years $90M with 4th and 5th year performance options.

3.  Trade Bruce for bullpen help - I do not feel comfortable relying on him, all the turd needed to do was advance Rivera last night, and he was swinging for the fences.

4.  Trade a package of Familia and D'arnaud for bullpen help./top prospect

5.  Bring Duda back for one last year.  Loney was nice, but his overall body of work was disappointing.

6. 3B and 2B to be shared among Flores, Reyes and TJ Rivera.  Flores and TJ split 1B platoon with Duda as well.

7. Trade Granderson for Brian McCann.

Here's your 2017 Cost conscious opening day Roster

SP  Syndergaard

SP Harvey

SP deGrom

SP  Matz

SP Gsellman

SP Wheeler

Closer Reed

RP  Robles

RP Smoker

RP Edgin

RP Lugo

RP Colon

C  McCann

C Plawecki

1B  Duda

2B Reyes

SS Cabrera

3B Wright

Inf  Rivera

inf Flores

LF Cespedes

CF Nimmo

RF Conforto

OF  Lagares

Inf/OF Kelly Johnson 

Lets not forget - second year in a row our season ended against a "contact hitting" team.   Maybe this all or nothing concept of offense is a bad idea.....how many teams that really on the HR for offense ever win it all anyway?

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You are relying on David Wright to play 150 games at 3rd next season? He needs to retire IMO, he is the Tony Romo of MLB.

Yes, I wish he would retire, but we all know he will not (barring another serious injury)....the selfish pr*ck is handcuffing the franchise in many ways - hopefully I am wrong and Sandy and the Wilpons will offer him a Cuddyer type scenario and a coaching position.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

September is a brutal month in baseball. If you have a 5 game lead, you can rest guys and skip some save opportunities to keep him fresh. But when you are scratching and clawing to make it to the playoffs you really have no choice.

Which is why I like the new wildcard model in MLB. You are rewarded for winning the division and you should be.

Just now, Maxman said:

September is a brutal month in baseball. If you have a 5 game lead, you can rest guys and skip some save opportunities to keep him fresh. But when you are scratching and clawing to make it to the playoffs you really have no choice.

Which is why I like the new wildcard model in MLB. You are rewarded for winning the division and you should be.

Agreed. I had said when they instituted that I loved it, but I'm sure I'll hate it the minute that the Mets win the top WC spot and have to play in that game. And sure enough...

9 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Yes, I wish he would retire, but we all know he will not (barring another serious injury)....the selfish pr*ck is handcuffing the franchise in many ways - hopefully I am wrong and Sandy and the Wilpons will offer him a Cuddyer type scenario and a coaching position.

Isn't Wright owed something like 67 million remaining on his contract?

Zero percent chance he retires and walks away from that money.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Agreed. I had said when they instituted that I loved it, but I'm sure I'll hate it the minute that the Mets win the top WC spot and have to play in that game. And sure enough...

Oh yeah, been there myself lol. It sucks when it happens no doubt. But baseball is such a marathon I felt like the old format was rewarding people for getting hot at the end of the season. Even if you win the wild card game you still have to go forward with your rotation all sorts of not lined up the right way.

Just now, Maxman said:

Isn't Wright owed something like 67 million remaining on his contract?

Zero percent chance he retires and walks away from that money.

The Mets are insured for 75% of his contract when he misses 60 games, as was the case the past two years and probably the duration of the deal. Because of that his salary is not something that hampers the club.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets are insured for 75% of his contract when he misses 60 games, as was the case the past two years and probably the duration of the deal. Because of that his salary is not something that hampers the club.

We cannot keep him on the roster and hope that he misses most of each season.   Offer him $30M and a coaching position.

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Oh yeah, been there myself lol. It sucks when it happens no doubt. But baseball is such a marathon I felt like the old format was rewarding people for getting hot at the end of the season. Even if you win the wild card game you still have to go forward with your rotation all sorts of not lined up the right way.

For sure. The Mets shouldn't get rewarded simply with one less home game in a playoff series for finishing 10 games behind the Nats. Makes for a fun couple of nights too.

Such a weird balance though. Like, it didn't feel like we were in the playoffs, but that sure as sh*t felt like a playoff game.

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well it does hamper them a bit because they are a cash tight club. So if he is going into a year planning on playing, they don't have that money to spend elsewhere. He gets hurt during the year they lose his production and never spend the money on another bat. (Theoretically).

Although with back to back playoff appearances now is the time to go for it.

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well it does hamper them a bit because they are a cash tight club. So if he is going into a year planning on playing, they don't have that money to spend elsewhere. He gets hurt during the year they lose his production and never spend the money on another bat. (Theoretically).

Although with back to back playoff appearances now is the time to go for it.

Not really, comparatively to the rest of the team you're talking about 3% of the payroll after the insurance kicks in. The kickers for the Mets this offseason are more what to do with Bruce and Granderson's deals, (pick up and/or trade...etc). Wright is going to be 34, battling spinal stenosis and has the neck of a decrepit, elderly Norwegian grandmother. It's pretty safe to say he won't notch 120 games as he's only done so twice in the last 6 years and his health problems have gotten significantly worse the last 2. I am not sure what sort of make-or-break bat you are missing out on for $5 million but Alderson has certainly shown he can get the Wilpons to shell out an extra couple of bucks for that sort of amount, and they certainly have used the money saved on Wright's insurance on other bats already (i.e. Bruce this year).

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

MLB has been better than the NFL for a little while now. Happy people are starting to catch up with it. There is a sizable sect of fans that do not like Manfred, which I find odd because the changes they have instituted into the game have been drawing more people in and making the games more exciting, especially the playoffs. That the Mets have been a big part of things the past few years is certainly a bonus, but this is one of the better eras of the game that we've seen in history.

I love baseball. Everything about it. I am a huge proponent of the minor league experience too... because every guy on the field is Charlie Hustle. No stars, just ball players, and the stadium isn't about adults acting out their insecurities through the trials and tribulations of fanhood... it's about the kids, and their parents, watching a ball game together.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'll get right on that.

Good. Make it happen.

Wright is done. Finito kaput finished. And enough of this "The Captain" talk like he's some indispensable piece to the team and it's success.

He's gonna take up a roster spot from a better player at this point if Sandy can't resolve the contract and Wright's desire to return

And +1 on MLB being superior to the NFL. 

The Jets sucking perpetually only adds to that. But the NFL has gone down in my view.

Baseball is the better game as far as I'm concerned. The Love of the Jets is the only reason I even watch the NFL anymore. Where I used to eat it up league wide

6 hours ago, deucebag said:

I feel it is more to do with his emotions and overthrowing....he loses his sink when he overthrows.

That's what I think happened as well.  Every sinker seemed to almost bounce up there. 

We have to just hope that he grows into calming down in the post season because he's too talented to cast aside.

Great game up to that point and an enjoyable season. 

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Good. Make it happen.

Wright is done. Finito kaput finished. And enough of this "The Captain" talk like he's some indispensable piece to the team and it's success.

He's gonna take up a roster spot from a better player at this point if Sandy can't resolve the contract and Wright's desire to return

Yes. How on earth will we get back to the postseason with Wright stealing Eric Campbell's spot in April?

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes. How on earth will we get back to the postseason with Wright stealing Eric Campbell's spot in April?

I guess you're being sarcastic. There's plenty of options other than Wright. Wright is done. He's the elephant in the room at this point.

I'd rather see Wilmer there than Wright. But watching Wright struggle instead of Reyes play an above average 3B and bringing some offensive energy and speed would suck. Walker would be better. So would Astrubel. 

Throw in Rosario, Rivera, Cecchini, and Reynolds, and anybody else, and there's plenty of approaches Sandy can take. It's time to move on from Wright and get some youth and energy inserted, rather than watch Wright hit .230 and play weak D before he goes down again.

If they're hamstrung because of Wright's contract and can't improve the team in some way there that will be waste of roster spot and essentially hold back the team from improving their entire team to compete moving forward, which was my point.

We don't need Wright anymore. Enough already with him.

13 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He did worse last year, and came back and saved 51 games. Mets are not even in playoffs without Familia. 

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

After you give up a shot like that, how do you come back to spring training and look at other players from the team?

I'm not trying to be mean to the guy, that's just got to be so rough.

Familia has been so atrocious in his last 4 postseason outings - it is unforgivable.   He saved 51 games this past year - but how often did he remind you of Doug Sisk.  Familia shud be a starting pitcher anyhow - his stuff is too erratic.    I would give a Josh Smoker/Addison Reed closer combo a shot next year with Edgin in the 7th and Seth Lugo in the 8th.   We have only 3 more years to win a WS with this group.  I have doubts on whether Harvey ever dominates again...but deGrom and Thor shud next year along with solid but unspectacular seasons from Matz and Gsellman and maybe a little Wheeler at some point.  I am absolutely petrified to even think that 2015 was the peak and its all downhill from there.

Mets have alot of question marks on how to go next year- it will be intriguing to see how Sandy approaches it for sure. Wright it saying he will be 100 per cent- but you can never count on him again really

3 hours ago, faba said:

Mets have alot of question marks on how to go next year- it will be intriguing to see how Sandy approaches it for sure. Wright it saying he will be 100 per cent- but you can never count on him again really

I think every elite professional athlete says they will be 100% the next year.  It's part of the mindset that makes them an elite professional athlete.

Archived