2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 10/9/2016 at 7:20 PM, JohnJ said:

As much as I liked Walker this year, I would not mind if he declined the qualifying offer and got us another 1st round pick, which would mean we'd have had 4 first round selections in a 2-year period. 

And I believe I remember reading we'd also get a first rounder if Cespedes walks? 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As much as I liked Walker this year, I would not mind if he declined the qualifying offer and got us another 1st round pick, which would mean we'd have had 4 first round selections in a 2-year period. 

And I believe I remember reading we'd also get a first rounder if Cespedes walks? 

I certainly hope that plays no part in any decision the Mets make. That would not be a silver lining by any means.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I certainly hope that plays no part in any decision the Mets make. That would not be a silver lining by any means.

Why not?  If you're going to lose aging players we know ownership is not willing to play, it's not a bad consolation prize.  I'm surprised you would say this, considering we agreed how important it was to continue stocking the farm system with pitchers when we took pitchers with our first 2 picks this past Summer. 

I would love to be able to keep both Cespedes and Walker.  But we can't afford Yo (who was simply waiting for a better OF market 1 year later to get his last big payday) and I won't cry if a team comes along and gives Walker big money over 3 years or even 2.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  If you're going to lose aging players we know ownership is not willing to play, it's not a bad consolation prize.  I'm surprised you would say this, considering we agreed how important it was to continue stocking the farm system with pitchers when we took pitchers with our first 2 picks this past Summer. 

I would love to be able to keep both Cespedes and Walker.  But we can't afford Yo (who was simply waiting for a better OF market 1 year later to get his last big payday) and I won't cry if a team comes along and gives Walker big money over 3 years or even 2.

It's not a consolation prize at all. There is no consolation for losing a player of his value. You are seriously overvaluing what a late first rounder holds for baseball. Cespedes is a baseball unicorn, they're not even in the same stratosphere of value to a team.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's not a consolation prize at all. There is no consolation for losing a player of his value. You are seriously overvaluing what a late first rounder holds for baseball. Cespedes is a baseball unicorn, they're not even in the same stratosphere of value to a team.

Just bracing for the fall man.  What else can we do?  He turns 31 in 4 days and we know we're losing him this time around.  We got extremely lucky when we were able to hold onto him 1 more year last offseason.  I'm not banking on that happening again. 

Ha, I was filled with glee last night watching Dusty Faker and that whole effin team go down last night. I look forward to next year taking them on again, on a level playing field with all our players...hopefully :unsure:

Interesting Hot Stove for sure this winter. Sandy does have some chips actually.

And for the love of God the Coupons don't hamstring him with any limits that prevent him from doing what he actually wants to do.....

Walker impressed me last year. He's a gamer and a leader. But I can see Sandy moving on from him when you consider Walker's back and age. We have a glut of infielders when you consider the Minors also.

Cespedes loves it here IMO, and I think there's a good chance we can get him back......think of Reyes and possibly Rosario at the top of the lineup.....

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just bracing for the fall man.  What else can we do?  He turns 31 in 4 days and we know we're losing him this time around.  We got extremely lucky when we were able to hold onto him 1 more year last offseason.  I'm not banking on that happening again. 

You pay him. You have to pay him. The numbers are in and the book is out on this one. The Mets are a playoff team with him and not one without him.

I think re-signing Cespedes and Walker is vital to this teams success. But we also need another guy brought in here who can bat either 1 or 2 and get on base at a high clip. Wright is a great 2 hitter IMO but he's unreliable at this point. Granderson was so much better in 2015 IMO because of his .360 on base. That was critical along with guys like Wright and Duda who were great at getting on base as well.

14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think re-signing Cespedes and Walker is vital to this teams success. But we also need another guy brought in here who can bat either 1 or 2 and get on base at a high clip. Wright is a great 2 hitter IMO but he's unreliable at this point. Granderson was so much better in 2015 IMO because of his .360 on base. That was critical along with guys like Wright and Duda who were great at getting on base as well.

Reyes will be back batting leadoff because he costs nothing. I think they will see what it takes to pay Cespedes and that will determine if they pay Walker. Walker is a fine 2B but Rivera and Flores are just fine for the position if that's what they have to go into the season with. Honestly the Mets can decline Bruce's option and let Walker walk for all I care, as long as it means Cespedes is back that's all that matters. The success of the Mets for 2 years has revolved around if he's in the lineup or not.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Reyes will be back batting leadoff because he costs nothing. I think they will see what it takes to pay Cespedes and that will determine if they pay Walker. Walker is a fine 2B but Rivera and Flores are just fine for the position if that's what they have to go into the season with. Honestly the Mets can decline Bruce's option and let Walker walk for all I care, as long as it means Cespedes is back that's all that matters. The success of the Mets for 2 years has revolved around if he's in the lineup or not.

Reyes is fine at leadoff but I want another guy at the top with him who can get on at a high clip for Cespedes (assuming he is back) and the rest of the guys behind him.

We suffered from having to many guys with decent OBP's but not great who all kinda did the same thing last year. We need a little more diversity in our lineup.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Reyes is fine at leadoff but I want another guy at the top with him who can get on at a high clip for Cespedes (assuming he is back) and the rest of the guys behind him.

We suffered from having to many guys with decent OBP's but not great who all kinda did the same thing last year. We need a little more diversity in our lineup.

The only thing that matters is bringing Cespedes back. If signing him means we go into 2017 with Granderson and Asdrubal as our 2-hole hitters and TJ/Flores at 2nd, so be it. Cabrera was a damn capable second bat anyways.

Another arm back in play.....

Mets RHP prospect Marcos Molina made his Arizona Fall League debut Thursday, allowing one run and four hits, while striking out two batters, during two innings of work.

Molina, 21, had Tommy John surgery in late 2015, at which time MLB.com considered him to be the organization's top pitching prospect. However, he dropped to fourth on their list this past summer after having not pitched in a minor league game for more than a year.

In 2014, Molina was 7-2 with a 1.77 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 91 strikeouts and just 18 walks in 12 starts and 76 innings for the Low-A Brooklyn Cyclones.

"There were high hopes for Molina in 2015," MLB.com wrote in their most recent scouting report. "When healthy, Molina throws his fastball up to 94 mph with really good life. He'll combine that with a solid breaking ball and an average changeup to give him three average to above-average offerings, along with the ability to command all of them.

cerronecircleavatar_uge4a1mm.pngCerrone: The future is still very bright for Molina, who I believe will have an impact at the big league level. I mean, he's still just 21 years old. And now that Tommy John surgery is behind him, he could become more valuable than he he was just a year ago.

I remember being very impressed with how Molina used his slider, getting guys to swing and miss on command. He had terrific control, was steely eyed and focused, and evolved and matured a lot as a pitcher from when he debuted a couple of years earlier. Actually, the last time I saw him, I recall thinking how his stuff, style and approach reminded me a lot of Jacob deGrom, who -- to put it in context -- is seven years older than Marcos.

Molina was about to hop on the fast track. Had he not been down a season due to elbow surgery, he'd be a super hot topic heading in to 2017. Instead, he's getting his feet wet in the Arizona Fall League and he'll use next Spring and Summer to get back on everyone's radar. However, a year from now, when he's all of 22, I expect it'll be like he never missed a beat.

Mets RHP prospect Marcos Molina threw 35 pitches, allowed one hit, one walk and struck out one, while tossing three scoreless innings during his Arizona Fall League appearance Wednesday.

USATSI_9619852_agvmj6lf.jpgMolina during an Arizona Fall League game at Scottsdale Stadium. (Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports).

Latest Update

Oct. 19, 3:50 pm: "So far, so good," MiLB.com's Jonathan Mayo wrote Thursday, when asked about Molina's first two appearances during the AFL.

According to Mayo, Molina was at 90-92 mph with his fastball.

"The fact that he's been around the strike zone so much is a good sign," Mayo explained. "There is more than enough time for him to return to climbing up prospects lists everywhere."

Watching Cubs vs Dodgers tonight and just thinking it was only a year ago that we were in it. And also remembering that there are two players that Sandy didn't like and got rid of. Justin Turner and Daniel Murphy. And if he'd of kept them we'd probably be there right now. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That guy catches a lot of crap for someone who has really never done anything wrong.  All he does is try really hard, say the right things, and pray in public.  Like, how does that bother people so much? 

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:47 AM, JiF said:

The Bruce trade ( $13 million option to keep him) helps soften this slightly but it will suck to see Cespedes go even though that basically was the idea of the contract from his perspective.

I'd like to see them inquire on J.D. Martinez in a trade but not sure what Sandy's thoughts are on the 2017 outfield.  

I still think that Yo would prefer to be in Queens but we'll see.

On 10/27/2016 at 2:13 PM, SenorGato said:

It can't be news that Cespedes will be opting out. That's the most obvious move any FA should make this offseason. He's easily the premiere bat in FA off the top of my head.

So , what do the Mets do to replace Cespedes (since our owner is still Fred Coupons ) ?

12 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

So , what do the Mets do to replace Cespedes (since our owner is still Fred Coupons ) ?

Sign The Man. Stay competitive for the next four years for sure.

And stop the anal hemorrhaging of money from their own doing those two faggots have been bleating about for years.

Then lick up the the money off the floor from the bleeding money from signing Wright, to make more money while they sucked, and eat Grandy's and Bruce's money and choke on it while more new fans root for your team......lol.

I bet the odds are very high that Cespedes would prefer to stay here. He's been through a lot of changes since he left Cuba, and went through some growing pains.

He's found a home here, is comfortable, and everybody loves him- the fans, his teammates, and his Mgr.

Time to put up for those two jerkoffs. 

Ima be crushed if they don't sign him.....I've loved the guy since he showed up in Oakland.......

3 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Pay him

They're already a pretty meh team with him. I can't imagine there's even a shot at the playoffs without him even with Syndergaard being worth all the hype.

7 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

There's a few bats out there on the market and they also have the Jay Bruce club option. If the SP's come back healthy the team is a WS contender with or without Cespedes as long as they field a Major League line-up.  Injuries have made all of these things tough the past two season yet they made it to the post season both years with a WS appearance to boot.

Guys like Gato on here will never give the Mets team their due because of the way last years Mets annihilated the "by far and away best team in baseball" in four straight.  As long as the SP's get and remain healthy for the most part, the Mets are a yearly post season and WS threat.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Guys like Gato on here will never give the Mets team their due

Yeah, Cespedes was on the team - and the best hitter - that lost the WS to the Royals. He's a huge part of why that team snuck in for the division, along with the Nats' weird finish, even with at least 7 less wins and an overall lesser squad on paper than either 2015 NL WC team. 

As far as the 2015 Mets beating the 2015 Cubs, who were not far and away the best team in baseball nor claimed to be by anyone, Mets fans will at least have that memory. The standards being what they are for the Mets and their fans, I will not argue that scores like 4-1, 5-2, and 4-2 qualify as "annihilation." They were big boys that series!

So just to be clear....the big backup plan is some unnamed bats, Jay Bruce, and counting on those arms to stay healthy? Sounds legit

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

There's a few bats out there on the market and they also have the Jay Bruce club option. If the SP's come back healthy the team is a WS contender with or without Cespedes as long as they field a Major League line-up.  Injuries have made all of these things tough the past two season yet they made it to the post season both years with a WS appearance to boot.

I completely disagree. The Mets offense is insanely boring and statistically below average without him. Are we really forgetting what it was like for the several weeks he was out in July and August? And I don't think it's any coincidence that the stats of everyone that hits around him spiked as soon as he came back, and even when he was slumping in September. 

Their record with him vs without him is astounding. He's the only player on the team and one of the few in the league that can change the entire makeup of a game simply by being in the lineup. The Mets have reaped the benefit of that tenfold. If the Wilpons don't pay him it is a disaster and they are tossing away the 2017 season. I think they absolutely will, but we can't short at all what he's brought since they traded for him. They don't make it to the playoffs the last two years without him.

Archived