2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wow. Mets asked about Wade Davis and the Royals wanted Rosario in return. Sandy bucked, Cubs called and KC took Soler. I am liking that teams are trying to take us to the cleaners and Sandy is telling them to **** off. That would have been a terrible deal.

I would be leery of Davis. The flexor strain can often be the forerunner of larger arm problems, and I would stay away from that. Last things the Mets need.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would be leery of Davis. The flexor strain can often be the forerunner of larger arm problems, and I would stay away from that. Last things the Mets need.

The good news for us is it looks like the Cubs also outbid the Nats. Now all we need is someone to outbid the Nats for Cutch.

It's a shame we have to go bargain hunting. I think Jensen is such a logical choice and to make it worse it looks like Loria is opening up the checkbook for him in Miami.

28 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The good news for us is it looks like the Cubs also outbid the Nats. Now all we need is someone to outbid the Nats for Cutch.

It's a shame we have to go bargain hunting. I think Jensen is such a logical choice and to make it worse it looks like Loria is opening up the checkbook for him in Miami.

Honestly, I would be happy re-signing Salas, and expecting more of Robles and Smoker.

10 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Not like Coupons !!! We are a win now team ; not a win when I think i can save some money team .

In 2014 the payroll was at $85m. It currently sits at $1650m, I believe. Now they may shed some with Bruce or another subtraction, but they have also said they will add bullpen help.

The Mets have added payroll in the middle of the last 2 seasons, re-signed Cespedes and generally done sane things to make this better.

Not sure where you can complain the last 3 seasons.

32 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

In 2014 the payroll was at $85m. It currently sits at $1650m, I believe. Now they may shed some with Bruce or another subtraction, but they have also said they will add bullpen help.

The Mets have added payroll in the middle of the last 2 seasons, re-signed Cespedes and generally done sane things to make this better.

Not sure where you can complain the last 3 seasons.

I think it might be 150 mil but you may be right. They want to be patient for the right move at the right time.

My beef is the lineup. I really expect Jose to be batting first or second most of the time, and want to see better table setters up there. I'm also gonna be pissed if we don't have better protection for Cespedes right behind him. Oh, and then there's d'Arnaud. Another year of an incomplete lineup is gonna be a nightmare.

But Sandy is a stickler for on base percentage and prolly deems that more important than speed if given a choice. Duda will be a key also in providing protection, but who knows with him. That's why I want to keep Bruce. But fully understand the love for Grandy too as far as playing CF. We're still juggling pieces, and then there's Wright, and it's a pain in my ass. :)

They're gonna give Nimmo, Conforto, Lagares, Duda, d'Arnaud,and Wilmer another go tho so it could very well work out fine too.

I like Nimmo. He competes. May be able to get on base a lot.  And he can run. I'd love to see him take another step up.

Interesting stuff by Sandy today; on why no Bruce deal at the winter meetings. Said the market is still sorting itself with guys like Bautista, Trumbo, and Fowler. Once those guys get scooped up something will happen. Confident that groundwork was laid with a few teams. Also said they won't be trying any outfielders at 1B (have to assume he meant Conforto) and they are not trading Duda, expecting him to be the opening day 1B. I am hoping that has something to do with their confidence in Smith for late 2017 or 2018.

On December 7, 2016 at 7:48 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Wow. Mets asked about Wade Davis and the Royals wanted Rosario in return. Sandy bucked, Cubs called and KC took Soler. I am liking that teams are trying to take us to the cleaners and Sandy is telling them to **** off. That would have been a terrible deal.

Soler's a DH in waiting and mostly sucks right now. Rosario's on track to be at least a competent starting SS and the Mets' current best shot at a position player star for the next couple years. 

Mets are my sleeper on Jansen. 

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Not a chance in hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no way they're gonna commit to that. But I'm sure even they would prefer Jansen over Familia in a tight spot. Familia is all fvcked up at this point, but he's human and will get another chance.

There's no doubt tho that they will add BP in the meantime.

Gotta give Sandy credit. He has the patience of Job and sticks to his guns under tremendous pressure too

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He did chase Bruce, and had he not done so we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

If he didn't do anything and they didn't make the WC game he would've lambasted across Mets land. Nobody knew before hand how Bruce would perform. But considering Bruce's numbers at the time it was pretty much a no brainer as far as I was concerned.

Bruce came on at the end and Familia coughed up the whole thing in the end, again.

It's tough to point when things were where you wanted them at that point

We lost Herrera and now we'll prolly gain a reliever. If we don't trade Bruce we potentially gain big time power numbers, and better protection for Cespedes. They might've thought of Cecchini also when they pulled the trigger on that trade.

The situation is more about Familia, Mejia, and old money on the payroll imo.

26 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

If he didn't do anything and they didn't make the WC game he would've lambasted across Mets land. Nobody knew before hand how Bruce would perform. But considering Bruce's numbers at the time it was pretty much a no brainer as far as I was concerned.

Bruce came on at the end and Familia coughed up the whole thing in the end, again.

It's tough to point when things were where you wanted them at that point

We lost Herrera and now we'll prolly gain a reliever. If we don't trade Bruce we potentially gain big time power numbers, and better protection for Cespedes. They might've thought of Cecchini also when they pulled the trigger on that trade.

The situation is more about Familia, Mejia, and old money on the payroll imo.

Sandy is a good GM. It was a terrible trade. Was then and it is now. Nothing wrong with conceding that. Trading a prospect like Dilson for Bruce was not a no-brainer by any measure for so many reasons (already over loaded with LH corner OF, the numbers said Bruce was due for a dip, a lack of legit 2B on the farm...etc). It's not a defendable move by any standard and in hindsight it only looks worse now then it did then, which is really saying something considering how much he got ripped for it at the time. Good GM's make bad moves sometimes, it happens.

I had no problems with the Bruce acquisition then, nor do I now, even given hindsight.

The Mets were a reeling club in July. Most here did not even give them a chance at the trading deadline of even competing.

Sometimes, what a club needs is an injection of new talent in order to realize that management is behind them, and that management is willing to invest in order to believe in them and get them over a hump. Bruce represented that. 

What is Dilson Herrera? I am not sure any more. I was one of his biggest fans as he climbed the ranks. But, each time he has gotten close, or even been on the big stage, he has not given reason for him to stick. As Alderson mentioned at the trade, he feels the Mets are adequately stacked in the minors at the middle infield positions, that they could sacrifice Herrara. 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sandy is a good GM. It was a terrible trade. Was then and it is now. Nothing wrong with conceding that. Trading a prospect like Dilson for Bruce was not a no-brainer by any measure for so many reasons (already over loaded with LH corner OF, the numbers said Bruce was due for a dip, a lack of legit 2B on the farm...etc). It's not a defendable move by any standard and in hindsight it only looks worse now then it did then, which is really saying something considering how much he got ripped for it at the time. Good GM's make bad moves sometimes, it happens.

Sorry, but I don't see it that way. It was the right move at the right time. I was happy he did it and said so too. They were desperate for anybody, a body at that point.

The team was spiraling down without offense AND Cespedes was hurt. Worrying about positions when the roster was barren at the time is not what he was going to worry about. He was going for the post season. And nobody knows better than the FO as to what Dilson Herrera was at the time.

Nobody on earth could've said that Bruce would slump. But it was not the reason the team didn't advance and Dilson Herrera was not a top prospect in spite of what some Mets fans were hopeful for.

It was a trade for the moment, the present. Not what the roster would look the next year either, and what the shortcomings of the overall roster would be.

A problem already inherent on the roster.

Sandy essentially said that the young guys are priority and that Bruce is odd man out. So until that is resolved it's not hurting the team in anyway, and could still help it. The only definite producer we have in the outfield is Cespedes. Grandy is preferred because he can play CF. Bruce is a professional major league power hitter. That's a good thing. 

Labeling it a bad move is hindsight and wrong imo, sorry. I'm not being sensitive about criticism towards Sandy. Just calling it the way I see it.

I have plenty of gripes towards him but they're old and water under the bridge at this point. Tho the biggest problem right now with the roster imo is all the extra payroll they're carrying from the period when they sucked that's hamstringing them now. But I digress and am not even gonna go there.

edit: sorry for the long post.

Bruce will probably be better than he played when we got him. And he improved later on. The money for Bruce isn't that high and he could give us 30 Hrs and 90 rbis although be very inconsistent. When you have players like him and Duda who regularly go into deep slumps it creates roadblocks to being successful. I think because of the money Sandy will trade him. He knows what his budget is and how much they are spending for Cespedes. This is still the Wilpons. 

I miss him already.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bartolo-colon-gives-us-the-offseason-workout-video-we-deserve-181814781.html

You don’t become the oldest player in baseball by simply coasting on your talent and good looks. No, it requires hard work to throw 190 innings per season. And that gets even more difficult when you’re 43 years old.

With that in mind, it should come as no surprise that Atlanta Braves pitcher Bartolo Colon is currently in the Dominican Republic getting himself prepared for next season. It may be December, but Bartolo is already getting himself into playing shape.

Don’t believe us? Fine. We have video proof.

What do you have to say about that? Probably nothing, because it’s too awesome for words.

Still, we’re going to give it a try. We love this video for a number of reasons. We love how Bartolo is prancing elegantly at the camera, his movements measured and perfectly in sync. We love the blue harnesses on his legs, because they remind us of an 80s workout video. If someone more talented than us wanted to set this footage to A-Ha’s “Take on Me,” we wouldn’t be upset.

[Related: Bartolo Colon riding a scooter is the offseason content we deserve]

But most of all, we love Bartolo’s shirt choice. Look closely at the end. Yeah, he’s wearing a shirt that reads “Bartbino.” Under the script is a picture of Bartolo from the day he hit a home run against James Shields. We’re not sure how anyone could forget that hit, but we’ll link to it anyway in case you want to relive greatness.

Take note, opposing baseballers. While you’re dressing up as the Grinch and rappelling down tall buildings, Bartolo is putting in work. Remember Dec. 15, 2016. It’s the day Bartolo’s 2017 Cy Young campaign began.

A while back Cerrone on the SNY Blog actually entertained the idea of including Rosario, Matz, and/or Conforto I think in some kind of combination for McCutchen as a thing to do. NFG. 

Pittsburgh is looking to fleece somebody. I'd love him in CF but I'm not giving up anything except Bruce or Grandy or low level prospects. And that ain't happenin'.

1 hour ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Pitchers and Catchers report in just over two months!

I'm anxious to see if The Dark Knight Rises.

What a boost that would be. Just a healthy guy that brings the competitiveness would suffice. Doesn't have to be the old Dark Knight. Just part of the rotation

Archived