When can we expect to see Geno out?

k-met57

Nothing will happen with Geno until the draft or mini-camp. If they draft another QB, he's doomed. If they don't, they'll wait to see how Petty has progressed in the offseason and if they have enough faith in him to be a reliable #2. If they have that from him, they'll probably get rid of him. There is no rush at all, and unless a team offers a pick for him, there's really no need. The Jets owe him nothing so they don't have to do right by him at all.

The only way they dump Geno is if the coaching staff has confidence Petty is ready to go. Otherwise you don't dump Geno on a rookie QB contract. Given how unimpressed the coaching staff was about Petty I would be highly surprised if they feel Petty is ready to take over the number two spot after one year.

Definitely wait until the last possible moment to cut him.  I also have to think there is a team out there that thinks they can "fix" him and would be willing to move a conditional pick to acquire him.  But I don't think he ends up on the final roster.  If Petty is ready to be elevated to the # 2 role OR we draft/sign another QB, there's no reason to hand him a roster spot.  We only need 2 QB's active on gameday and 3 total on the roster, with maybe a practice squad UDFA in the equation as well.

It's amazing to see how little the league as a whole views Genos talents. In a QB deficient league it's just dumbfounding that he's thought of so poorly that we can't get a draft pick for him. I'm not stating that as fact, I don't know, but my god you would think someone like Cleveland or Houston would be willing to throw the dice on a conditional pick for him. Maybe someone already has but Mac saw Geno as a cheap backup plan & didn't want to expose Petty too early if Fitz got hurt. It will be interesting because I still think Geno has value in a Stewart kind of way. I don't think his book is completely written. He's done competing for a starting role with the NY Jets but someone, somewhere will try to "fix" him and resurrect his career. 

It's amazing to see how little the league as a whole views Genos talents. In a QB deficient league it's just dumbfounding that he's thought of so poorly that we can't get a draft pick for him. I'm not stating that as fact, I don't know, but my god you would think someone like Cleveland or Houston would be willing to throw the dice on a conditional pick for him. Maybe someone already has but Mac saw Geno as a cheap backup plan & didn't want to expose Petty too early if Fitz got hurt. It will be interesting because I still think Geno has value in a Stewart kind of way. I don't think his book is completely written. He's done competing for a starting role with the NY Jets but someone, somewhere will try to "fix" him and resurrect his career. 

Last year we had only to give a conditional next year 7th (now 6th) for Fitz.

This year there are a lot of QBs likely to be available which include: RGII (how many picks did skins give for him), Bradford, Stanton, Hassleback, etcCurrently there are roughly about 30 (mostly no-names).  Throw in likely release of Manziel. . Who is going to want him bad enough to trade for him.

Last year we had only to give a conditional next year 7th (now 6th) for Fitz.

This year there are a lot of QBs likely to be available which include: RGII (how many picks did skins give for him), Bradford, Stanton, Hassleback, etcCurrently there are roughly about 30 (mostly no-names).  Throw in likely release of Manziel. . Who is going to want him bad enough to trade for him.

that's right absolutely no one is going to trade for Geno

What's the rush to dump Geno?  We have a project in Petty waiting in the wings. Geno knows the system and is very cheap. If we cut him and sign a vet to backup Fitz we will have less money to spend elsewhere. 

the FO's plan is to resign Fitz and draft a qb in the first two rounds probably either Cook or Cardale

Odd man out is Geno.  Only some jets fans think Petty is a future starter

Geno is done here. Maybe he's kept for another year or two (if Petty isn't ready to step up). At least a cheap backup with some starting experience. Someone to play 2-3 games until the starting QB is healthy again. Not more. If Fitzi had a season ending injury we'd take a free agent.

Well if he has little or any trade value, why would you release him early? 

Wouldnt you just sit and see if you can move him for something?  

No link but pretty sure I saw some place Dana  White is finalizing the contract for Geno to be Rhonda Rouseys next opponent.  

He has one more year on his contract and I don't believe there is any cap savings by cutting him. He will be here for one more year almost certainly. He knows the system and has starting experience, he is good to have as a back-up and who knows, he can still improve.

I absolutely do not understand this rush to get rid of Geno. He finally had a full season to sit and learn from a veteran qb; something that everyone agrees he needed to do from the very beginning. Plus he is under contract and cheap one at that.  If some team wants to trade for him fine, but why on earth would the team just cut him out right?  

Remember, Fitz DID NOT beat him out of the job, IK did lol  :D.   Seriously, I know many believe that Fitz would have eventually won the job either in preseason or at some point during the regular season but the fact remains that we will NEVER know how he would have performed with weapons like Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith and solid running game led by Ivory.  If Fitz can go 10-6 with this team, why couldn't Geno do at least as well, considering he went 8-8 as a rookie throwing to the likes of Cumberland, Gates and Hill?  I am just saying..... 

As Jet fans we tend to like to "eat our young" some times and all I will say is be careful for what you wish for.   He is still young and eager to prove himself; if he is fortunate enough to go a team that will give he a legit chance, anything is possible.  Perhaps for his on good, he needs to move on to another situation; all I know is if he does ever put it together on another team, I don't want to hear any whining from this fan base about giving up on him too soon... 

I absolutely do not understand this rush to get rid of Geno. He finally had a full season to sit and learn from a veteran qb; something that everyone agrees he needed to do from the very beginning. Plus he is under contract and cheap one at that.  If some team wants to trade for him fine, but why on earth would the team just cut him out right?  

Remember, Fitz DID NOT beat him out of the job, IK did lol  :D.   Seriously, I know many believe that Fitz would have eventually won the job either in preseason or at some point during the regular season but the fact remains that we will NEVER know how he would have performed with weapons like Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith and solid running game led by Ivory.  If Fitz can go 10-6 with this team, why couldn't Geno do at least as well, considering he went 8-8 as a rookie throwing to the likes of Cumberland, Gates and Hill?  I am just saying..... 

As Jet fans we tend to like to "eat our young" some times and all I will say is be careful for what you wish for.   He is still young and eager to prove himself; if he is fortunate enough to go a team that will give he a legit chance, anything is possible.  Perhaps for his on good, he needs to move on to another situation; all I know is if he does ever put it together on another team, I don't want to hear any whining from this fan base about giving up on him too soon... 

Very good analysis. Willing to bet front office feels much the same way.

Spot on.  Those of us that wanted to see Geno vs. Fitz before the season started strictly wanted to see what Geno could do with actual weapons and a new coaching staff.  The fear, was exactly what happened.  The Jets were good but just not good enough.  Now, we're stuck drafting 20 and were the best of the worst.  You get no prizes for that.  This wasnt a young team learning to win, this was a veteran team, ready to win.  And unfortunately, were back in the same spot.  A veteran who's probably just not good enough and a situation where we are still in a bit of a "what if" even though so many fans have written off Geno, rightfully so.

And even if you resign Fitz.  There is zero reason to cut Geno Smith.  Zero.  Cheap back-ups who have 16 starts under their belt who just spent a year in this system, are not easy to come by. 

Interesting read. You can usually learn more about a person when he/she faces adversity than when things are great.Bowles' comments about Geno seem like he was impressed with the way he handled things. Wonder if his teammates feel the same?  To a man they seem to love Fitz. Geno obviously burned some bridges with the team, be interest to see if he mended any.

Interesting read. You can usually learn more about a person when he/she faces adversity than when things are great.Bowles' comments about Geno seem like he was impressed with the way he handled things. Wonder if his teammates feel the same?  To a man they seem to love Fitz. Geno obviously burned some bridges with the team, be interest to see if he mended any.

That is what I was looking at as well.  I think where ever he winds up he will be a better man and hopefully player as a result of this past season.  I tend to agree that this is Fitz's is team and short of a major injury, I don't see him starting anytime soon.  His future is probably with some other team not named the Jets. 

That is what I was looking at as well.  I think where ever he winds up he will be a better man and hopefully player as a result of this past season.  I tend to agree that this is Fitz's is team and short of a major injury, I don't see him starting anytime soon.  His future is probably with some other team not named the Jets. 

Tend to agree his future probably is elsewhere.

Archived