When can we expect to see Geno out?

k-met57

Interesting read. You can usually learn more about a person when he/she faces adversity than when things are great.Bowles' comments about Geno seem like he was impressed with the way he handled things. Wonder if his teammates feel the same?  To a man they seem to love Fitz. Geno obviously burned some bridges with the team, be interest to see if he mended any.

I saw Geno face adversity for two years and I saw the resaults.   I then saw Geno play agaist Oakland with these weapons and I saw the same thing as always.

Good news is I won't ever have to see him play for the Jets again.

I absolutely do not understand this rush to get rid of Geno. He finally had a full season to sit and learn from a veteran qb; something that everyone agrees he needed to do from the very beginning. Plus he is under contract and cheap one at that.  If some team wants to trade for him fine, but why on earth would the team just cut him out right?  

Remember, Fitz DID NOT beat him out of the job, IK did lol  :D.   Seriously, I know many believe that Fitz would have eventually won the job either in preseason or at some point during the regular season but the fact remains that we will NEVER know how he would have performed with weapons like Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith and solid running game led by Ivory.  If Fitz can go 10-6 with this team, why couldn't Geno do at least as well, considering he went 8-8 as a rookie throwing to the likes of Cumberland, Gates and Hill?  I am just saying..... 

As Jet fans we tend to like to "eat our young" some times and all I will say is be careful for what you wish for.   He is still young and eager to prove himself; if he is fortunate enough to go a team that will give he a legit chance, anything is possible.  Perhaps for his on good, he needs to move on to another situation; all I know is if he does ever put it together on another team, I don't want to hear any whining from this fan base about giving up on him too soon... 

I saw enough in the Raiders game, guy could not even throw the ball away

He's got all the physical tools but his brain let's him down. He's NOT a leader, the guy sulks like a 12 year old girl, and I don't think anyone in the locker room likes him.

He's cheap granted, but to much baggage and reminder of the past

If he's not going to be "The Man" he just wants letting go. Petty had a year to sit, he looks like he's got some tools. You won't hear any crying from me, good bye Eugene. 

Not unless something tragic happens  he's lucky to see past the draft.

It's Fitz's team now, he's defo coming back.

Yeah tons can happen between now and Sept.  But barring anything exteme happening QB related, I'd say odds are come training camp, Fitz, Geno and Petty will still be here.  Potentially another mid/late round draft pick as well.  Fitz will be the favorite with Geno not far behind.  Anything can happen then.

Letting Geno go doesn't make sense for many of the reasons others have posted previously.

The only way he is gone is if they draft a QB and Fitz resigns. Otherwise, where are they going to find a similarly talented backup QB for that amount of money?

How about the Long Island Semi Pro League. That would be a huge upgrade to keeping that POS.

Not unless something tragic happens  he's lucky to see past the draft.

It's Fitz's team now, he's defo coming back.

Sorry if I'm not comforted with the fact that it's "Fitz' team"..  he was very mediocre until a late season stretch against the worst pass defenses in the league.  He had a career year and still couldn't manage to make the playoffs against a Bills team that was supposedly ready to lay down. 

Sorry if I'm not comforted with the fact that it's "Fitz' team"..  he was very mediocre until a late season stretch against the worst pass defenses in the league.  He had a career year and still couldn't manage to make the playoffs against a Bills team that was supposedly ready to lay down. 

Even with all that, having watched Geno the turn over machine Smith for two years, Fitz was like watching John Elway in comparison!

Even with all that, having watched Geno the turn over machine Smith for two years, Fitz was like watching John Elway in comparison!

I was about to say Fitz and Elway should never be mentioned in the same sentence.  But Fitz could probably be an asset in our front office...  however as our guaranteed starting QB, not so much.  If he starts, so be it.  Maybe he improves even more, but I still think it should be an open competition.

I'm looking at 2016 like this:

1.  Schedule wise we're f#cked.  Division + 5 current playoff teams + Indi and Balt who should both be better.  To reach 9+ wins, we have to improve a pretty decent amount.

2.  QB wise, almost identical to how I felt going into 2015.  Fitz is the safer (more consistent) option while Geno has more of the upside (and also admittedly more downside).  

3.  Whether it's Fitz or Geno, feel better after seeing how Marshall and Decker played together.  Not to mention Enunwa, Thompkins and Devin Smith.  Plus hopefully Amaro back.  So regardless who starts we're lightyears ahead of what Geno had to work with previously.

If I'm Mac, I definitely don't overpay for Fitz.  Maybe 6/7mil with playing time bonuses.  And Bowles should really let there be open competition.  Letting the best play.  No way should the Jets be all-in on any current QB on the roster.

I was about to say Fitz and Elway should never be mentioned in the same sentence.  But Fitz could probably be an asset in our front office...  however as our guaranteed starting QB, not so much.  If he starts, so be it.  Maybe he improves even more, but I still think it should be an open competition.

I'm looking at 2016 like this:

1.  Schedule wise we're f#cked.  Division + 5 current playoff teams + Indi and Balt who should both be better.  To reach 9+ wins, we have to improve a pretty decent amount.

2.  QB wise, almost identical to how I felt going into 2015.  Fitz is the safer (more consistent) option while Geno has more of the upside (and also admittedly more downside).  

3.  Whether it's Fitz or Geno, feel better after seeing how Marshall and Decker played together.  Not to mention Enunwa, Thompkins and Devin Smith.  Plus hopefully Amaro back.  So regardless who starts we're lightyears ahead of what Geno had to work with previously.

If I'm Mac, I definitely don't overpay for Fitz.  Maybe 6/7mil with playing time bonuses.  And Bowles should really let there be open competition.  Letting the best play.  No way should the Jets be all-in on any current QB on the roster.

Bowles as already said Fitz is the starter if he returns. I can handle 4k with 30+ TD's and a 2:1 Touch Down to Interception ratio. It's the 30+ turnovers total lack of Leadership team spirt you get with Geno. There's even an article out now with Brandon Marshall saying without Fitz we are 4-12! Get used to it Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III is gone.

a bills team with a depleted roster too

the FO's plan is to resign Fitz and draft a qb in the first two rounds probably either Cook or Cardale

Odd man out is Geno.  Only some jets fans think Petty is a future starter

If we draft Cardale Jones in the first two rounds of the draft I will have lost all hope that this regime will be the ones to "get it right". 

It's amazing to see how little the league as a whole views Genos talents. In a QB deficient league it's just dumbfounding that he's thought of so poorly that we can't get a draft pick for him. I'm not stating that as fact, I don't know, but my god you would think someone like Cleveland or Houston would be willing to throw the dice on a conditional pick for him. Maybe someone already has but Mac saw Geno as a cheap backup plan & didn't want to expose Petty too early if Fitz got hurt. It will be interesting because I still think Geno has value in a Stewart kind of way. I don't think his book is completely written. He's done competing for a starting role with the NY Jets but someone, somewhere will try to "fix" him and resurrect his career. 

Why do you think we can't get a draft pick for him?  Because we haven't?  Even the Mighty Mike Glennon has not gotten Tampa back a draft pick  yet despite all the chatter. 

It's amazing to see how little the league as a whole views Genos talents. In a QB deficient league it's just dumbfounding that he's thought of so poorly that we can't get a draft pick for him. I'm not stating that as fact, I don't know, but my god you would think someone like Cleveland or Houston would be willing to throw the dice on a conditional pick for him. Maybe someone already has but Mac saw Geno as a cheap backup plan & didn't want to expose Petty too early if Fitz got hurt. It will be interesting because I still think Geno has value in a Stewart kind of way. I don't think his book is completely written. He's done competing for a starting role with the NY Jets but someone, somewhere will try to "fix" him and resurrect his career. 

Youre dumbfounded that a player hasn't been traded less than a week after the season ended?

A team like Houston that's preparing for a playoff game this weekend should have contacted the Jets by now? 

Ok

Archived