Was This Season A Not-Obvious Disaster?

TuscanyTile2

We improved to 10 wins but we didn't make the playoffs.  Pretty sure we'll have the lowest draft pick of all the non-playoff teams.  Our schedule will get tougher.  Fitz will likely revert to the mean.  Revis is falling off.  We might be in a lot of trouble next year. 

Maybe "disaster" is too strong a word.  We still have the draft and free agency to improve (which we very well might do - and significantly).  But I feel like we're not positioned all that well for next year.  Of course, Brady could fall off one of these years which would open up the doors entirely so you never know.

This season was not a disaster. The last game of the season was disappointing.

The season wasnt a disaster, but it was disappointing. The disappointment was only confirmed during week 17 but looking at the inferior teams we lost to, that disappointment started much earlier. That 5 week stretch when we went 1-4 is what really killed us. That 5 game winning streak in December simply made us forget about it. But if we would have went 2-3 instead we would be a playoff team. 

Losing a game happens, going 1-4 during any part of your season will more often than not kill your season.  Losing twice to Rex really sucked though. 

We improved to 10 wins but we didn't make the playoffs.  Pretty sure we'll have the lowest draft pick of all the non-playoff teams.  Our schedule will get tougher.  Fitz will likely revert to the mean.  Revis is falling off.  We might be in a lot of trouble next year. 

Maybe "disaster" is too strong a word.  We still have the draft and free agency to improve (which we very well might do - and significantly).  But I feel like we're not positioned all that well for next year.  Of course, Brady could fall off one of these years which would open up the doors entirely so you never know.

I've never heard so many people cry about a schedule.  How hard a schedule is said to be always changes as the season starts.  Weak schedules turn hard and hard schedules turn soft.  Never mind the team won't be the same.  Enjoy it and stop 

We are old. That's the problem. Forget the harder schedule. Most of our key players can suddenly fall off at the snap of your fingers. For this incarnation of the Jets, this year was the year. Father Time can never be outrun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I have a tough time believing this team is going 10-6 or better next year given the tough schedule and relative luck this team had with injuries this year, other than Bilal Powell which was a killer.  If Marshall, Fitz, Decker, or Mangold go down the offense is really hampered, so let's hope they all stay healthy.  Only if they really gel and become one of the elite teams that always finds a way to win can they match or improve on 10-6.

It's the bit that grinds me up, this was the year, next season with the schedule, and ageing expensive vet team, we are not winning 10 games.

I'd seriously cut D'Brick at 14 mill. The guys on to much money there must be a younger FA tackle who can play at his level for half that. 

I know he can't be cut yet but Revis makes 17 mill next year, and he looked very mortal, he must be gone after 2016?

I'd take the hit now with some of these high priced old vets, rather than waiting for a 7 Win season. The fan base will go nuts because we got worse, even though the teams we play are much better.

Macs got his work cut out, the poor drafting from the previous regime, have left us with a big talent hole and ageing roster.

It's the bit that grinds me up, this was the year, next season with the schedule, and ageing expensive vet team, we are not winning 10 games.

I'd seriously cut D'Brick at 14 mill. The guys on to much money there must be a younger FA tackle who can play at his level for half that. 

I know he can't be cut yet but Revis makes 17 mill next year, and he looked very mortal, he must be gone after 2016?

I'd take the hit now with some of these high priced old vets, rather than waiting for a 7 Win season. The fan base will go nuts because we got worse, even though the teams we play are much better.

Macs got his work cut out, the poor drafting from the previous regime, have left us with a big talent hole and ageing roster.

There is no way in the world the Jets would cut Revis!  He is still elite!

According to Friday's Post, link below:

Revis gave up just three touchdowns this year. One was a 61-yarder to Hopkins. The other two were short scores by Bryant against the Cowboys and Pierre Garcon of the Redskins.

Pro Football Focus had receivers catching only 46.5 percent of the passes thrown their way when Revis was covering them, the lowest percentage among cornerbacks. They also have quarterbacks with the third-worst rating when throwing in Revis’ direction. Only the Panthers’ Josh Norman and Rams’ Trumaine Johnson had lower ratings.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/08/revis-island-maybe-not-but-only-two-wrs-gave-darrelle-fits/

As far as D'Brick, he plays the hardest and most important position on the offensive line, Left Tackle, he protects the QB's blind side.  Hopefully they can bring his $14.1M cap figure down.

No disrespect meant to the OP but for me we honestly have a delusional fan base at times. 

How anyone could say that this last season was poor or was a disaster is simply mind blowing and again FF run amuck. 

If our season was a disaster what were Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Miami's seasons?

The truth is two seasons ago we didn't look like a professional football team.  

And for all the complaining out here the Jets looked about as good as they could without a franchise QB, no knock on Fitz, he was great this year for the Jets, but he isn't a guy that defenses stay up at night scheming how to stop. 

The truth is without a franchise QB you are gong to play how the Jets played this year and hope things break right for you.  They really almost did. We won 10 games and for all of the talk of a weak schedule I for one thought we had an excellent chance to run the table in the playoffs. 

So a disaster of a season, no way.  Disappointing end of the season of course. 

No disrespect meant to the OP but for me we honestly have a delusional fan base at times. 

How anyone could say that this last season was poor or was a disaster is simply mind blowing and again FF run amuck. 

If our season was a disaster what were Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Miami's seasons?

And for all the complaining out here the Jets looked about as good as they could without a franchise QB, no knock on Fitz, he was great this year for the Jets, but he isn't a guy that defenses stay up at night scheming how to stop. 

The truth is without a franchise QB you are gong to play how the Jets played this year and hope things break right for you.  They really almost did. We won 10 games and for all of the talk of a weak schedule I for one thought we had an excellent chance to run the table in the playoffs. 

Excellent Post!! 

Best season since 2010, Jets were in almost every game, classic Jets moments in loss to Raiders and 0-2 to Rex but great improvement from the last few years.

Sure it is disappointing that we are not in Cincinnati ready to watch some football but I don't think that ruins the season, not close to a disaster even if next year turns into a rebuild year

2 seasons ago Geno was a rookie QB and the team was 8-8 did you mean last season??

Look.  This is getting silly.

If, in September, I told you...

The team would go from 4 wins to 10.

Our QB would set the franchise record for TD passes.

We would win 4 of our last 5 games.

We would beat the Pats, and the Giants.

Would you have called that a disaster?

This is why you aren't a GM.

Revis is guarenteed next years salary.  You are paying him whether he is on the team or not, but you want to cut him.

Forget the cap #, Brick's salary next year is about 9 million.  Are you finding a decent LT for 9 milllion?  If so, who/where?

This is why you aren't a GM.

Revis is guarenteed next years salary.  You are paying him whether he is on the team or not, but you want to cut him.

Forget the cap #, Brick's salary next year is about 9 million.  Are you finding a decent LT for 9 milllion?  If so, who/where?

Not only is Revis's contract guaranteed, he is still great! 

I think Revis falling off is a bit of a misnomer. He's still a good corner, just not the at the level he once was which is to be expected. To say Fitz will revert to the mean is a bit harsh.

We don't know how hard the schedule will be next year. 

It's very strange how people seem to forget that the Jets can improve next year too.

Look.  This is getting silly.

If, in September, I told you...

The team would go from 4 wins to 10.

Our QB would set the franchise record for TD passes.

We would win 4 of our last 5 games.

We would beat the Pats, and the Giants.

Would you have called that a disaster?

All that and no playoffs?

Umm would you rather watch them lose 13 games for a high draft pick? Because they all pan out. Rolling eyes at this post 

I totally understand what you're saying but I think that if we want to win a SB, we need to bottom out the right year (that is - one with a franchise QB).  I'm not even sure there is one this year though people on here who know a lot more than I about CFB have mentioned Wentz and Goff.

I just look at a team that is built to "win now" (maybe we have another year or two w/ the aging Revis, Mangold, D'Brick, etc) and we missed the playoffs, will have the worst draft slot of non-playoff teams and a tougher schedule for next year.  Plus one of the linchpins of our team (Fitz) could "revert to the mean".  In short, we could be set up for a crappy 2016/7 season though I'm absolutely NOT saying it's cast in stone.

This was one of the most enjoyable seasons the Jets have had in 5 years. Don't miss the forest for the trees. 

You're absolutely correct.  It was a pleasure to watch them and 10 wins is a very solid season.  Not trying to be a wet blanket but just trying to gauge how we look moving forward.  Parcells always talked about how you have to start back at square 1 each and every season.  (essentially his point would be that it's not like 10 wins is our floor next year).

You're absolutely correct.  It was a pleasure to watch them and 10 wins is a very solid season.  Not trying to be a wet blanket but just trying to gauge how we look moving forward.  Parcells always talked about how you have to start back at square 1 each and every season.  (essentially his point would be that it's not like 10 wins is our floor next year).

I look at the Carolina Panthers last year, Made the playoffs with a 7-8-1 record. And pushed it to 15-1 this season

Archived