Josh Gordon?

Jack Straw

Hear me out:

Our WR depth outside of Marshall and Decker is beyond terrible and Jeremy Kerley won't be back. Enunwa is fine as a hybrid TE/H-back, but this team operates exclusively with three and four WR sets, which means we need to add an additional body. In Gailey's system, Decker is most used and best suited in the slot with Marshall playing outside. This means we need an able-bodied WR who can also start outside opposite Marshall. Enter Josh Gordon. The case for him:

1) He's a big body that Chan Gailey covets at the WR position

2) He's low risk/high reward and is only 25 years old

3) He's cheap

4) Brandon Marshall could act as a mentor for the young WR and help keep him in line

With only six draft picks and lots of holes to fill (RB, OG, RT, LB), the Jets need to find creative ways to find talent on the cheap. Odds are that our running game won't be as good next year as it was this year, so we need to find a way to make up those yards/points somewhere. 

Thoughts?

And the million or so bangs you hear in the distance are self-inflicted gun shots into the sculls of Cowboys fans.

Personally, I think the Cowboy fans enjoy the Hardy & Gregory type signings.

Johnny Football and Josh Gordon reclamation projects are what JJ is all about!

Problem is they never work out 'cause he's an "ENABLER"

Josh Gordon is a free agent? I think Cleveland has him under contract. 

Suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon is eligible to apply for reinstatement to the NFL on February 3, and the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports Gordon is doing "outstanding."
The news of Gordon "doing outstanding" probably comes from his agent, but it's nice to hear nonetheless. Gordon will turn 25 years old next April and still has a chance at a productive NFL future if he can keep his head on straight and start passing drug tests. As Gordon's $1.07 million base salary was "tolled" during his ban, he remains under the Browns' contractual control for 2016. 

Hear me out:

Our WR depth outside of Marshall and Decker is beyond terrible and Jeremy Kerley won't be back. Enunwa is fine as a hybrid TE/H-back, but this team operates exclusively with three and four WR sets, which means we need to add an additional body. In Gailey's system, Decker is most used and best suited in the slot with Marshall playing outside. This means we need an able-bodied WR who can also start outside opposite Marshall. Enter Josh Gordon. The case for him:

3) He's cheap

4) Brandon Marshall could act as a mentor for the young WR and help keep him in line

With only six draft picks and lots of holes to fill (RB, OG, RT, LB), the Jets need to find creative ways to find talent on the cheap. Odds are that our running game won't be as good next year as it was this year, so we need to find a way to make up those yards/points somewhere. 

Thoughts?

lol at the fact that you even had to say "hear me out". 

Gordon's background isnt something that I think Jets fans can handle. Geno has done nothing in comparison to Gordon and Jets fans cant stand Geno. The moment Gordon makes any mistake this dude will be finished in NY. 

Browns official has been in touch with suspended WR Josh Gordon Jun 24, 2015 Jeremy Fowler ESPN Staff Writer Email print comment CLEVELAND -- The Browns haven't washed their hands of Josh Gordon. A Browns official has corresponded with Gordon this offseason, according to a source. Gordon is serving a one-year suspension for multiple violations of the league's drug and alcohol policy. A Browns official has corresponded with Josh Gordon this offseason, a source said. The NFL permits teams to contact a player serving a one-year suspension through a player-engagement rep. Scott Cunningham/Getty Images) The NFL permits teams to contact a player serving a one-year suspension only through a player-engagement rep, according to spokesman Greg Aiello. The Browns are following that rule. Gordon was suspended for 10 games last year after a failed drug test, then failed to score a touchdown in a return to the lineup. The Browns sidelined Gordon for the season finale at Baltimore for missing or being late to several meetings. The league levied the yearlong suspension in February after Gordon failed an alcohol test in Las Vegas while on a postseason trip with teammates. In 2013, Gordon was approaching elite wide receiver status after 87 catches for 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns. Agent Drew Rosenhaus told the Cleveland Plain Dealer earlier this month that Gordon gets up to 10 drug or alcohol tests monthly and has remained clean. "It's a difficult process, and it's meant to be difficult, obviously," Rosenhaus told the newspaper. "But I've got faith in him, and he'll get through this tough time and he still has a very bright future in the NFL, in my opinion." That bright future can't begin until February, when Gordon is up for reinstatement. He can't rejoin team activities until the NFL allows him to do so.

Gordon's background isnt something that I think Jets fans can handle. Geno has done nothing in comparison to Gordon and Jets fans cant stand Geno. The moment Gordon makes any mistake this dude will be finished in NY. 

The difference between Gordon, and Geno though is Gordon is good at football. 

I'm going to disagree, I see gordon as a kid who's obviously made some mistakes but he also got a couple of unlucky breaks. I mean the kid had 2 glasses of champagne on the flight with his teammates and coaches around him, they all thought the season was over since it was after the last game but didn't realize the NFL season ends in February. Can't help but feel bad for the kid getting a full year ban for that

I'm going to disagree, I see gordon as a kid who's obviously made some mistakes but he also got a couple of unlucky breaks. I mean the kid had 2 glasses of champagne on the flight with his teammates and coaches around him, they all thought the season was over since it was after the last game but didn't realize the NFL season ends in February. Can't help but feel bad for the kid getting a full year ban for that

I agree with what you're saying personally. However, when I think about Jet fans its not a good idea. Gordon could be traded here and have a great season, even two, yet if one morning we wake up and there's a news article talking about Gordon and a "problem" you know as well as I know what the reaction is going to be. 

I've seen this fan base already completely turn on Geno and they're already working on Sheldon Richardson. Gordon needs to go to a team like the Patriots, where their fans dont give a rats ass what they do as long as they cheat to another championship lol. 

Maybe he and Sheldon can be each others "sponsors?"

In all seriousness, IF Gordon behaved (and that is a big "if") he'd be ideal for this offense because he can play the outside and let Decker operate in the slot.  He'd be a massive upgrade over Devin Smith/Kenbrell Thompkins as an outside receiver.

Gordon will likely have to sign a deal with little to no guaranteed money but the number for him I don't think will be cheap. I think right now we have a pretty good receiving group in my opinion they should draft one more or a blocking tight end but otherwise we should be looking at WRs who we can develop if we look at all.

Maybe he and Sheldon can be each others "sponsors?"

In all seriousness, IF Gordon behaved (and that is a big "if") he'd be ideal for this offense because he can play the outside and let Decker operate in the slot.  He'd be a massive upgrade over Devin Smith/Kenbrell Thompkins as an outside receiver.

Im not sold that we know what we have in Devin Smith yet, I liked him coming out of college and still have faith he will develop. Thompkins is a pretty good depth player who might also still turn into something for us.

IDK, attacking a 70 YO man from behind is kind of serious

Im not sold that we know what we have in Devin Smith yet, I liked him coming out of college and still have faith he will develop. Thompkins is a pretty good depth player who might also still turn into something for us.

Smith can run deep well, but is mediocre at other things.  I think his talents are wasted in a Fitzpatrick-led offense.  Smith was drafted with the ill-advised idea that Geno would be the QB.  Maybe Smith sticks around long enough for the Petty era, he'd be useful then.

Agreed but for one thing, Gordon can  flat out play and Geno can't.

IDK, attacking a 70 YO man from behind is kind of serious

Geno attacked a 70 year old? Thats my first time hearing it, but with that said fans dont forget (or move on from) anything. The social media generation has changed that. I guess im more interested in football and football talk than than talking about football players that arent football related. If Gordon comes here we wont hear the end of it.

Smith can run deep well, but is mediocre at other things.  I think his talents are wasted in a Fitzpatrick-led offense.  Smith was drafted with the ill-advised idea that Geno would be the QB.  Maybe Smith sticks around long enough for the Petty era, he'd be useful then.

I will atleast wait until the kid plays a full season before I shun him. Pryor turned out alright.

Josh Gordon - YUP!

sign me the f' up. Red flags and all.

personally, I don't think he messes up again. He actually is very likable and seems like he has his head on straight now.

he is absolutely elite, better than AJ Green imo.  I'd trade a 4th for him, maybe even a 3rd.  Whoever gets him gets the next Randy Moss the trade.

Hear me out:

3) He's cheap

Thoughts?

outside of Marshall & Decker?  As if many have that.  So we need three top WRs?  Never happening, the extra money wouldn't make us much better.  You only have a certain number of passes to go around.  Taking passes from Marshall/Decker to give to another top WR doesn't make the team appreciably better.  WR is the last group we need help with.  This isnt fantasy football, we have other areas that need upgrading and money

outside of Marshall & Decker?  As if many have that.  So we need three top WRs?  Never happening, the extra money wouldn't make us much better.  You only have a certain number of passes to go around.  Taking passes from Marshall/Decker to give to another top WR doesn't make the team appreciably better.  WR is the last group we need help with.  This isnt fantasy football, we have other areas that need upgrading and money

Josh Gordon doesn't cost you any money. He's making $1 milion next year. You save $1.5 million just by cutting Kerley, so you'd be saving $500,000 just by swapping the two. If Gordon keeps his head on straight then you can sign him long-term. Marshall's contract is up after 2017 and you'd be able to allocate his money towards Gordon, so there's little investment that needs to be made.

We run more four WR sets than any other team in the league, so not sure why you think having only two capable WRs is all we need. This becomes even more important when you consider that we receive no production from the TE position and will likely have to replace all three of our running backs. You need to find offense somewhere.

Josh Gordon doesn't cost you any money. He's making $1 milion next year. You save $1.5 million just by cutting Kerley, so you'd be saving $500,000 just by swapping the two. If Gordon keeps his head on straight then you can sign him long-term. Marshall's contract is up after 2017 and you'd be able to allocate his money towards Gordon, so there's little investment that needs to be made.

We run more four WR sets than any other team in the league, so not sure why you think having only two capable WRs is all we need. This becomes even more important when you consider that we receive no production from the TE position and will likely have to replace all three of our running backs. You need to find offense somewhere.

I'm thinking he makes more than a mil next year.  Again this isn't fantasy football.  There's only one QB, only so many passing plays in a game.  We don't need him anywhere near other positions.  Why bring in a guy who's got so much baggage where we don't need the risk?  He's only going to take catches away from the other two.  The ones who set records while being model citizens.  I just don't see the need to mess with chemistry etc for no real benefit. 

The Browns are a mess they are going to go into a total rebuilding stage at this point. They may want to move on from Gordon. Who knows. 

One of the league's 5 most talented receivers who will count just around $1 million against the cap and who has passed over 100 NFL drug tests since being suspended for substance abuse?   Who wouldn't want to move on from that [sarcasm]?  Not to mention that there will be an entirely new coaching staff in Cleveland that has no negative history with the guy.  Stranger things have happened, but not many. 

Archived