Willkerson’s Contract Status More Complicated Than Most

JetNation

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams cannot have sustained success by getting rid of their good drafted players after their rookie deal.

The draft is so hit-or-miss that its dumb to let a player you hit walk because of money.

Not if your loaded at that position you can't pay everyone.. Some Jet fans think Mo is worth the same or more then Brady..LOL

Not if your loaded at that position you can't pay everyone.. Some Jet fans think Mo is worth the same or more then Brady..LOL

So much different when you're dealing from a position of great strength and you have other weaknesses.  You don't trade Mo if he's far and away your best player.  You absolutely consider it if you have Sheldon and Williams on the roster and other holes to fill.

So much different when you're dealing from a position of great strength and you have other weaknesses.  You don't trade Mo if he's far and away your best player.  You absolutely consider it if you have Sheldon and Williams on the roster and other holes to fill.

And he's not we have gone 4-12 with Mo but not with Fitz..:)

So you think Mo is equal in talent as a DL man to Revis as a CB?? Is Mo also better then Klecko and every other D- lineman in Jet History IYO?? Even Abe was a All Pro when we traded him for a 1st pick.. I think Mo is a very good player but I don't see him as Elite.. Is Chandler Jones on the Pats also Elite??

Wilkerson can play every position on the DL. Every single one.  He is absolutely elite.  So yes, I put him on the same level as Revis's market value in 2013.  A 1st & 4th is a very fair deal.

Completely agree. If trading Mo means adding a good pass rusher who can get to the qb it must be done. I think if we can add a solid pass rusher to this defense without Mo it will make his absence much less noticeable

Jets won't be loaded anymore if they get rid of Mo. It's not a position of strength because getting rid of him weakens that position.

Jets have their picks and cap space to improve. They don't improve by getting rid of Mo.

I've seen a few people state this here, and I still don't understand how this makes any sense.

Richardson makes peanuts on his rookie deal. His current contract is not prohibiting the Jets from signing Mo.

And given his pending legal issues and recent suspension, and his down season statistically, if you cut bait now, you're getting pennies on the dollar.

If the Jets decide to sign Mo - yes, it means Richardson does not have a future here. But you let him play out his deal this season and see if he can put together a good year and stay out of trouble.. and then you tag and trade him to the highest sucker.

lets not forget that all the other teams in the NFL know we aren't keeping three good defensive ends on our roster long term and most will likely wait until we have to cut one if they cant get one cheap through trades.

Wilkerson can play every position on the DL. Every single one.  He is absolutely elite.  So yes, I put him on the same level as Revis's market value in 2013.  A 1st & 4th is a very fair deal.

So can Sheldon including LB'er I do think some Jet fans fall in love with a player and forget whats best for the team overall.. When Mo was out some games last year with turf toe I never missed him..

So can Sheldon including LB'er I do think some Jet fans fall in love with a player and forget whats best for the team overall.. When Mo was out some games last year with turf toe I never missed him..

Resign Snacks, Sign and trade Mo for picks. Add a GOOD pass rusher to this defense and noone will remember Mo is missing. He frees up money to add help through free agency and also will bring picks that we could use to upgrade the oline,rb department or even use to find a good qb in the future.

As much as I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE MO & I HATE the Giants, would you take the 10th overall pick for Mo Wilk? Do you think the Gints would do it at that price - pending physical? Gints need defense, Mo goes to NFC but stays local w/family, and no rookie DE could produce at the rate of a 6 yr ProBowl DE in 2016. If not the 10th overall, what you think they'd give up, if anything at all?

Thoughts? Counterpoints?

Sheldon is one more blount away from an 8 game suspension, 2 more from missing a year. So yeah, build your defensive front around him.

Resign Snacks, Sign and trade Mo for picks. Add a GOOD pass rusher to this defense and noone will remember Mo is missing. He frees up money to add help through free agency and also will bring picks that we could use to upgrade the oline,rb department or even use to find a good qb in the future.

Mo had 12 sacks this year as essentially an interior lineman . Who is this unnamed pass rusher the Jets are going to replace those 12 sacks and surpass them?

Mo had 12 sacks this year as essentially an interior lineman . Who is this unnamed pass rusher the Jets are going to replace those 12 sacks and surpass them?

Tamba Hali or Bruce Irvin will be available via free agency. Or stock up on picks and take one in the draft. We have many needs on the team paying someone big bucks to play a position we are already strong in doesn't make sense when we have other needs that need to be addressed. I love Mo but the money hes going to want vs what we could get in return for him has me thinking a sign and trade is better for the team imo.

From a sack prospective we once had 2 players named Ellis and Abe we dumped Abe because we couldn't afford both..When they were done the final sack total was Abe 133.5 Ellis 73.5 and most Jet fans were fine with that..  One other thing with Mo it was reported he was having toe problems again this year..That turf toe could stick with him his whole career..

Mauldin

Who's already under contract for next year.  So why get rid of Mo?  Again, the Jets are not improving by getting rid of Mo.

There's been articles on this.  One of the biggest reasons the Jets have not had sustained success is that they fail to re-sign they rarely re-sign their young players after their rookie deals.

Who's already under contract for next year.  So why get rid of Mo?  Again, the Jets are not improving by getting rid of Mo.

There's been articles on this.  One of the biggest reasons the Jets have not had sustained success is that they fail to re-sign they rarely re-sign their young players after their rookie deals.

Who was that recently??:blink: And don't count Revis he's back plus it not after his rookie deal..

Quick question for the trade Mo crowd (or even the people against it)

I wouldn't want to trade Mo, you should try and keep your good players...With that said, the Jets are in a unique position in that they are overloaded at his position.

Trading for draft picks is simply too much a crap shoot, but what if we can find another team in a similar situation.  Open to moving a top flight player (either because DL is a major position of need or they simply aren't prepared to pay his asking price)  A trade like that might make sense.

You might lose a good player but you're making your team better immediately.

I know trades like that are very hard to pull off, but it's worth a discussion.

What is the question? Would I move Mo for another high-$ player at another position we're going to burn draft picks to fill anyway? Yes.

It's theoretical, though, unless you can come up with such a player. Drew Brees? He's older but the Jets have a good number of starters that won't be under contract (or may not be as good as they are today) after another 2 years anyway. I'd trade a more realistic Super Bowl shot for 2 more years instead of 4 more years of watching Mo get held with flags barely getting thrown. Especially while we have 2 guys on the team at the same position already, one or both of whom may prove to be better than Mo anyway. Mo wasn't this good after 1-2 seasons himself.

Who else? A burner veteran WR? 

An OLB is a nice idea but I don't see anyone parting with a high-priced OLB only to replace his $ with an equally or greater high priced DE/DT. 

I totally understand where you're coming from and I'm sure there will be several games where I'd wish he was still here. Having Mo is, and has been, great. But he was a lot greater to have when he was making $7M (or $1M) on year to year contracts, when we could fit Mo + Brandon Marshall Marshall with around the same cap space as just Mo by himself.

**** that. Mo is one of the best defensive lineman in the entire league. He didn't even hit his prime yet. You do NOT trade him for a 1st rounder. Unless we're getting a proven commodity + a couple of picks, I want no part of trading Mo. 

25 years old, extremely good, doesn't cause a single ******* headache and yeah, let's trade him for a draft pick and potentially draft our next Kyle Wilson or Dee Milliner or Vernon. Makes 0 sense. 

**** that. Mo is one of the best defensive lineman in the entire league. He didn't even hit his prime yet. You do NOT trade him for a 1st rounder. Unless we're getting a proven commodity + a couple of picks, I want no part of trading Mo. 

25 years old, extremely good, doesn't cause a single ******* headache and yeah, let's trade him for a draft pick and potentially draft our next Kyle Wilson or Dee Milliner or Vernon. Makes 0 sense. 

Signing Wilk long term means Snacks is gone, Cro is cut, Breno is cut, Ivory is gone, Powell maybe, and they may not have the money for Fitz. Also, they won't be able to plug other holes at RB, LB, OL except with rookies.  Not all of those listed are bad things, but having two players on defense take up 32 million of your cap is not smart. The Jets probably can't afford him. He's a really good player, but he isn't the reason the Jets would ever win a Super Bowl. 

Quick question for the trade Mo crowd (or even the people against it)

I wouldn't want to trade Mo, you should try and keep your good players...With that said, the Jets are in a unique position in that they are overloaded at his position.

Trading for draft picks is simply too much a crap shoot, but what if we can find another team in a similar situation.  Open to moving a top flight player (either because DL is a major position of need or they simply aren't prepared to pay his asking price)  A trade like that might make sense.

You might lose a good player but you're making your team better immediately.

I know trades like that are very hard to pull off, but it's worth a discussion.

I like Mo and I wish we could keep him but we can't.  Due to an overstocked DL and lack of cap room he's the obvious choice/solution.  Trading him for a top rated player solves the overstock problem but it still leaves us with what IMHO is the greater problem, the lack of cap room.  I think getting a draft pick(s) is the only way to go.     

good teams almost always keep the star player for the 2nd contract

good teams almost always walk away form the star player for the 3rd contract (QB's excluded so no googling)

lets be a good team this one time

if he becomes available, I would think 25 teams would call his agent.

Lets look at the Pats Chandler Jones he has the same amount of sacks playing 1 less year then Mo..Do you think the Pats are going to sign him in the range Mo wants?? I don't think so..:rolleyes:

Lets look at the Pats Chandler Jones he has the same amount of sacks playing 1 less year then Mo..Do you think the Pats are going to sign him in the range Mo wants?? I don't think so..:rolleyes:

lets not.  all you have to do is show me how many times the other players voted him into the top 100, and how well he plays the run

lets not.  all you have to do is show me how many times the other players voted him into the top 100, and how well he plays the run

Ok hows this Brady makes 15 million in the 2016 season do you think Mo is as important to the Jets as Brady is to the Pats?? I'm all for a reasonable deal for Mo, problem is Mo and his agent don't agree.. Who knows maybe with a broken leg added to his nagging turf toe he may reassess his position on thinking he's JJ Watt lite..:)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady/

Well, in fairness they haven't had a lot of people to resign the last few years after a couple of bad drafts.

Is Mo doing Synthetic Weed?

Ok hows this Brady makes 15 million in the 2016 season do you think Mo is as important to the Jets as Brady is to the Pats?? I'm all for a reasonable deal for Mo, problem is Mo and his agent don't agree.. Who knows maybe with a broken leg added to his nagging turf toe he may reassess his position on thinking he's JJ Watt lite..:)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady/

That's ridiculous because everyone knows Brady took a home town discount. All the other top (and not so top) QBs are making over $20 million.  Try again.

Signing Wilk long term means Snacks is gone, Cro is cut, Breno is cut, Ivory is gone, Powell maybe, and they may not have the money for Fitz. Also, they won't be able to plug other holes at RB, LB, OL except with rookies.  Not all of those listed are bad things, but having two players on defense take up 32 million of your cap is not smart. The Jets probably can't afford him. He's a really good player, but he isn't the reason the Jets would ever win a Super Bowl. 

Uhm, Jets have the cap space to sign everyone they want with proper maneuvering.  This is 2016 not 2006.  That cap has exploded since then.  It will be over $150 million this year.

Lastly, the Jets are clearly in "win now" mode with essentially all their skill position players in the 30 range.  How does it make sense to get rid of a 25 yr old good player for a draft pick?

err, not true, as paraphrasing Mac (thx DaBallhawk) http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/maccs-season-ticket-holders-presser.86221/

RE: Cap room for '16
Focus last year was to put the most competitive team we can out there. The thought process was to add these veterans to help the younger players to grow, mentioned guys like Revis, Skrine, Cro and Gilchrist. Great veteran presence. Long term success comes from developing young players, drafting good players so that's why we added those veterans. It wasn't because of a closing window or that we have to win now, the goal all along was to get veterans to carry this team for 1-3 years and help develop the young guys to take over for them at some point and play at a very high level. I'm assuming he's referring to guys like Marcus Williams.

Archived