QB: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Villain The Foe

This kid looks REALLY good. He looks like a very smart player. Great, consistent feet work with follow-through. Can make great plays on the run yet throws the ball away when he should. Accurate, can make all the throws and seems to have very good timing with his throws and the WR routes. Has a very good release, with zip. Has a little Johnny Manziel/Russell Wilson to his game. 

He looks like a top tier QB to me. Maybe even better than Wentz to me when its all said and done (It's Janurary). 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to judge QB's from that conference.  They're historically awful.  The conference just straight up doesnt play defense. At all.  Every QB puts up gaudy numbers. 

I dont think there is anything special about Mayfield's game.  Good college QB, nothing about his game tells me he's an elite QB prospect.  No better, no worse than Landry Jones...maybe a little better athlete but also smaller in stature.

He's just another Big 12 system QB, IMO.

• 9 months later...

Quintessential college QB, playing a conference that literally doesnt know how to play defense. 

He's Bryce Petty part 2 with less physical talent.  Gimmicky one read offense who only takes snaps from the shotgun.  Watch the tape, they only make him look at one side of the field on every play.  And he has terrible pocket presence to which he completely starts to flail when he sees any type of pressure.  He wants to run.  Watch that Houston game again, he'll die in the NFL if he thinks he be that careless in the pocket. He's a huge project that maybe goes in the 5th round. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Quintessential college QB, playing a conference that literally doesnt know how to play defense. 

He's Bryce Petty part 2 with less physical talent.  Gimmicky one read offense who only takes snaps from the shotgun.  Watch the tape, they only make him look at one side of the field on every play.  And he has terrible pocket presence to which he completely starts to flail when he sees any type of pressure.  He wants to run.  Watch that Houston game again, he'll die in the NFL if he thinks he be that careless in the pocket. He's a huge project that maybe goes in the 5th round. 

The Houston game shows some very impressive stuff from the pocket if you were to look. 

I seen Baker pump fake twice on throws that he initially wanted to make but either realized that the MLB was playing underneath or there was a player up on the WR screen. I watched as he scanned the field multiple times in that 4th quarter looking for the right read/throw. 

Look at that Houston game again. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Houston game shows some very impressive stuff from the pocket if you were to look. 

I seen Baker pump fake twice on throws that he initially wanted to make but either realized that the MLB was playing underneath or there was a player up on the WR screen. I watched as he scanned the field multiple times in that 4th quarter looking for the right read/throw. 

Look at that Houston game again. 

I did, he stares down pressure and starts scrambling the second it looks like someone is breaking loose.  He's a very meh prospect.   

He does have nice touch on the ball though.  And he throws well on the run.  Solid college QB, HUGE project for the Pros.  HUGE. 

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I did, he stares down pressure and starts scrambling the second it looks like someone is breaking loose.  He's a very meh prospect.   

He does have nice touch on the ball though.  And he throws well on the run.  Solid college QB, HUGE project for the Pros.  HUGE. 

Did you seriously just "look again" at that game after I made my response? 

You pretty much said the same thing in January, so atleast you're consistent. The kid looks like a solid prospect, no matter the conference he plays in. Certainly better than some of the "Top names" that people continue to mention because tv keeps mentioning them, atleast imo. 

Sure, the scheme causes him to scan a part of the field and not the entirety on every play, but when he needs to (like in that Houston game) he does, and he maintains awareness in the pocket and keeps his center under him to make the throw accurately. His offensive scheme isnt his fault. He runs because the guys arent open. You even hear it numerous times in that same Houston game. However, you also see him scan the field from right to left when he's in the pocket for a longer period, you see him pump fake and realize that there's a man underneath the throwing lane etc. You're dismissing alot of what that tape is showing. The reason why I like that Houston game is because its a game that they lost and a game in which Houston's secondary came to play and Baker had to improvise. He's a project like every rookie. The rookies that arent projects (Dak, Wilson) arent even taken in the first round because the one's that arent "projects" arent even considered "NFL talent" until they get in the league and blow the doors of. 

He's a project, who isnt? Goff was the #1 pick in the draft and this guy is just now getting his NFL start week 11 in the season in which the QB in front of him was total trash. That's a pretty HUGE project. Now im not saying that Baker should go #1. He'll probably be around in the 2nd/3rd round given all of the popular names in front of him. But for everything that you mention about his game, I think your position is keeping you from also identifying what this kid is good at. 

He's a much better version of Johnny Football....and I NEVER liked Johnny Manziel. And his ability throw on the run...either to the right or left is pretty spectacular when it comes to accuracy. 

This guy has some of the best feet when throwing the football. His mechanics are really good, and it seems like he's had it going all the way back to high school. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Did you seriously just "look again" at that game after I made my response? 

You pretty much said the same thing in January, so atleast you're consistent. The kid looks like a solid prospect, no matter the conference he plays in. Certainly better than some of the "Top names" that people continue to mention because tv keeps mentioning them, atleast imo. 

Sure, the scheme causes him to scan a part of the field and not the entirety on every play, but when he needs to (like in that Houston game) he does, and he maintains awareness in the pocket and keeps his center under him to make the throw accurately. His offensive scheme isnt his fault. He runs because the guys arent open. You even hear it numerous times in that same Houston game. However, you also see him scan the field from right to left when he's in the pocket for a longer period, you see him pump fake and realize that there's a man underneath the throwing lane etc. You're dismissing alot of what that tape is showing. The reason why I like that Houston game is because its a game that they lost and a game in which Houston's secondary came to play and Baker had to improvise. He's a project like every rookie. The rookies that arent projects (Dak, Wilson) arent even taken in the first round because the one's that arent "projects" arent even considered "NFL talent" until the get in the league and blow the doors of. 

He's a project, who isnt? Goff was the #1 pick in the draft and this guy is just now getting his NFL start week 11 in the season in which the QB in front of him was total trash. That's a pretty HUGH project. Now im not saying that Baker should go #1. He'll probably be around in the 2nd/3rd round given all of the popular names in front of him. But for everything that you mention about his game, I think your position is keeping you from also identifying what this kid is good at. 

He's a much better version of Johnny Football....and I NEVER liked Johnny Manziel. 

This guy has some of the best feet when throwing the football. His mechanics are really good, and it seems like he's had it going all the way back to high school. 

Yeah man, I watched it...on numerous plays he literally turns his back to the OL.  Haha.  He runs 20 yards backward on a handful of plays. Watch him bro.  His eyes go right to the pressure, every single time.  Sometimes he feels pressure that isnt there.  His first instinct is to scramble. 

He's a meh prospect that will not be taken before the 4th round. He's a system QB.  Landry Jones was a better Pro prospect. 

And he wasnt a highly sought after High School QB at all, he barely got any big program looks.  The best offer he got was Washington St.  He was a 3 star recruit.  He was a transfer to Oklahoma that walked on to the team after Texas Tech wouldnt promise him a scholarship.

He's a great story but he's not a great prospect. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah man, I watched it...on numerous plays he literally turns his back to the OL.  Haha.  He runs 20 yards backward on a handful of plays. Watch him bro.  His eyes go right to the pressure, every single time.  Sometimes he feels pressure that isnt there.  His first instinct is to scramble. 

He's a meh prospect that will not be taken before the 4th round. He's a system QB.  Landry Jones was a better Pro prospect. 

And he wasnt a highly sought after High School QB at all, he barely got any big program looks.  The best offer he got was Washington St.  He was a 3 star recruit.  He was a transfer to Oklahoma that walked on to the team after Texas Tech wouldnt promise him a scholarship.

We'll see. 

I know of his multiple walk-on's and 3 star status. Didnt stop him from winning awards and being 4th in Heisman voting though. Just sayin'....goes to show that that "3 star" label was actually worth. 

Either way. We'll see in due time. He'll probably be a JAG...he probably wont. It's hard to tell when talent like Dak is a 4th round pick. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

We'll see. 

I know of his multiple walk-on's and 3 star status. Didnt stop him from winning awards and being 4th in Heisman voting though. Just sayin'. 

Either way. We'll see in due time. He'll probably be a JAG...he probably wont. It's hard to tell when talent like Dak is a 4th round pick. 

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.  He's no where the athlete of Dak. Or Wilson for that matter .  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.  He's no where the athlete of Dak. Or Wilson for that matter .  

He doesnt have to be as athletic as those guys. Remember, those guys were athletic and no one gave a crap for the most part. Point being, guys who are now "the standard" for their ability were totally overlooked when coming in. 

How many times can we assume that a guy like Russell Wilson heard "You're no where near the athlete as RG3 for that matter". Wilson was probably thinking "He's no where near as good a QB as I am though". 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He doesnt have to be as athletic as those guys. Remember, those guys were athletic and no one gave a crap for the most part. Point being, guys who are now "the standard" for their ability were totally overlooked when coming in. 

How many times can we assume that a guy like Russell Wilson heard "You're no where near the athlete as RG3 for that matter". Wilson was probably thinking "He's no where near as good a QB as I am though". 

Agree to disagree.  He's not a good prospect and will more than likely never make in the NFL, so being an athlete would help.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Texas Tech wouldn't give him a scholarship because they had Webb, and Mahomes, Webb transfered after Mahomes beat him out for his starting job.  Your looking at the wrong Big 12 QB, check out Pat Mahomes II, dude is everthring you hope Mayfield will turn into plus so much more.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Texas Tech wouldn't give him a scholarship because they had Webb, and Mahomes, Webb transfered after Mahomes beat him out for his starting job.  Your looking at the wrong Big 12 QB, check out Pat Mahomes II, dude is everthring you hope Mayfield will turn into plus so much more.

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

First off, I dont pay any attention to any QB's from the Big 12 because it's a flag Football league and history has proven they dont produce NFL QB's. Unless you're a fan of Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy.

Mahomes plays in a more gimicky system than Mayfield.  He has some really bad mechanics and footwork.  He relies on that big arm of his too much and thus has some serious accuracy issues. He's got a Brotles like wind up when ever he tries to throw the ball deep.   He's a project too and I wouldnt be surprise if he followed in daddy's footsteps and goes to the MLB (I think he was one of the top prospect in Baseball coming out of High School.  That said, he's got crazy skills so some team will definitely take a late round flier on him and try to develop him if he decides to play Football.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

First off, I dont pay any attention to any QB's from the Big 12 because it's a flag Football league and history has proven they dont produce NFL QB's. Unless you're a fan of Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy.

Mahomes plays in a more gimicky system than Mayfield.  He has some really bad mechanics and footwork.  He relies on that big arm of his too much and thus has some serious accuracy issues. He's got a Brotles like wind up when ever he tries to throw the ball deep.   He's a project too and I wouldnt be surprise if he followed in daddy's footsteps and goes to the MLB (I think he was one of the top prospect in Baseball coming out of High School.  That said, he's got crazy skills so some team will definitely take a late round flier on him and try to develop him if he decides to play Football.

Late round flier, not happening, Mahomes will get drafted in the 1st round book it.  His offense is gimmicky as it gets, and that is a strike on him no doubt, but he has so much more then any air raid QB physically that I can remember, Prescott was looked at in the same light as you described Mahomes, the difference is Mahomes is Soooooo much more athletic, and has twice the arm.

I get the skepticism, and why most think as of now he will be a mid to late round prospect so I won't argue to much, but from what I'm reading, and seeing from him, his stock is on the rise, and I personally think he will be 2nd, or 3rd QB taken behind Trubisky, and Kizer (if Kizer declares he shouldn't).  Reports say Hue Jackson is in love with Mahomes, and he is probably thinking snatch up in Rd 2, but he might have to grab him with his 1st rounder from the Eagles instead to grab him, that's where I slot Mahomes in the upcoming draft as of now.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Late round flier, not happening, Mahomes will get drafted in the 1st round book it.  His offense is gimmicky as it gets, and that is a strike on him no doubt, but he has so much more then any air raid QB physically that I can remember, Prescott was looked at in the same light as you described Mahomes, the difference is Mahomes is Soooooo much more athletic, and has twice the arm.

I get the skepticism, and why most think as of now he will be a mid to late round prospect so I won't argue to much, but from what I'm reading, and seeing from him, his stock is on the rise, and I personally think he will be 2nd, or 3rd QB taken behind Trubisky, and Kizer (if Kizer declares he shouldn't).  Reports say Hue Jackson is in love with Mahomes, and he is probably thinking snatch up in Rd 2, but he might have to grab him with his 1st rounder from the Eagles instead to grab him, that's where I slot Mahomes in the upcoming draft as of now.

A little to early for me to bet on that 1st round claim but I dont see it...at all.  He's got some major flaws.  Like, possibly not correctable type flaws.

He's an insane athlete and talent though, so someone will absolutely try.  If he doesnt go to the MLB.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

A little to early for me to bet on that 1st round claim but I dont see it...at all.  He's got some major flaws.  Like, possibly not correctable type flaws.

He's an insane athlete and talent though, so someone will absolutely try.  If he doesnt go to the MLB.  

He hasn't played baseball in 2 years, already turned down 7 figures from the Diamondbacks when they called to see if he would quit football during the MLB draft.  Football is where this kid wants to be.  He also has made a ton of strides in his accuracy this season, and his pocket presence is best in college IMO, add that to his pedigree being a son of a former MLB player, and spending his summers in clubhouses as a kid, he understands what it takes to be a great player, and no spot will be to big for him, dude was taking ground balls with Arod as a 6 year old at SS, think he will excel as a QB, and a leader.  I've been dead wrong before so maybe I am here, but I really like what I see from him, it really will come down to like Prescott is he very coachable to make the transition to the NFL quickly coming from the gimmicky offense.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He hasn't played baseball in 2 years, already turned down 7 figures from the Diamondbacks when they called to see if he would quit football during the MLB draft.  Football is where this kid wants to be.  He also has made a ton of strides in his accuracy this season, and his pocket presence is best in college IMO, add that to his pedigree being a son of a former MLB player, and spending his summers in clubhouses as a kid, he understands what it takes to be a great player, and no spot will be to big for him, dude was taking ground balls with Arod as a 6 year old at SS, think he will excel as a QB, and a leader.  I've been dead wrong before so maybe I am here, but I really like what I see from him, it really will come down to like Prescott is he very coachable to make the transition to the NFL quickly coming from the gimmicky offense.

I think people are seeing Dak and thinking its that easy, its not.   Not sure how you could say he has a great pocket presence, they pretty much move the pocket all the time.

Hard to league to judge QB's.  They dont play D, they play a cupcake schedule, they're all are gimicky and they dont produce pro QB's. 

He's got talent, no doubt.  But he's a major project.  His mechanics are awful. 

Archived