QB: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Villain The Foe

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still hearning (from the ESPN Draft Heads like Kiper) that Mayfield is, as best, a late 1st/early 2nd pick.

Fine. 

Let's hope the Jets pick the BAP O-Lineman at their regular pick (~10) then trade up back into the bottom of the first round to select Mayfield before he hits round 2.

Getting one of the best O-Linemen in the draft AND Mayfield?  Works for me.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Still hearning (from the ESPN Draft Heads like Kiper) that Mayfield is, as best, a late 1st/early 2nd pick.

Fine. 

Let's hope the Jets pick the BAP O-Lineman at their regular pick (~10) then trade up back into the bottom of the first round to select Mayfield before he hits round 2.

I think he is going top 15. I just have that feeling, nothing of evidence to back that up. I still want Rosen or Darnold but Baker has me excited. His personality is infectious and I wouldn’t mind seeing him crotch grab/taunt Brady and The Hoodie. Lol

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fine. 

If we want Mayfield then I'm more than ok taking him with or first rounder. I'd be so bold as to say if Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield all come out that I think we should see what it takes to move up to number 3. If we have the 8th pick and it's only going to cost us a the 8th pick plus a first next year then I'd do it in a heartbeat. Our biggest fear should be Buffalo, we want them to win as many as possible.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fine. 

No way a qb with as much hype as Mayfiekd slips to late first round.  

The expected recipient of this season’s Heisman Trophy, Baker Mayfield figures to generate plenty of opinions during the pre-draft process. Some of the immediate responses from NFL evaluators have been positive following the Oklahoma senior’s dominant regular season. Albert Breer of SI.com surmises from the several-dozen scouts he’s spoken to throughout the season that Mayfield should wind up as a first-round pick, his baggage notwithstanding.

“He’s extremely talented,” an AFC college scouting director told Breer. “Guys want to play for him, players believe in him, the staff believes in him. I’ve heard the comparisons to (Drew) Brees, (Johnny) Manziel, (Russell) Wilson, and there’s a little bit of all of them in his game. And he’s not Manziel in terms of the off-field stuff — he studies his ass off; he goes through his progressions; he’s not a typical spread QB. He has first-round ability.”

Mayfield’s height, around 6-foot, could be an issue for some teams. And his Big 12 background may as well. But Breer expects a first-round investment to occur.

Here’s more on Mayfield and other key prospects.

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com polled five NFL execs regarding Mayfield’s best destination and didn’t get one definitive answer. While some quarterback-needy teams came up, two decision-makers mentioned the Saints and Chargers as Mayfield fits. Both suggest multiyear apprenticeships behind Brees and Philip Rivers. However, a source told Matt Miller of Bleacher Report Rivers’ resurgence has “basically shut down” the prospect of the Bolts making a quarterback-of-the-future pick in the upcoming first round. Rivers turned 36 on Friday.

Josh Rosen is the likeliest of the likely first-round quarterbacks to start from Day 1, a group of seven executives polled by Yahoo Sports concluded. The UCLA passer’s throwing motion is “as elite as it gets for a prospect,” Charles Robinson of Yahoo writes. That septet of execs rated Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Mayfield as the Nos. 2-4 prospects and likely first-rounders. Darnold’s elongated throwing motion and tendency to bail on plays, in the mind of some evaluators, could cost him the No. 1 spot. Allen received the “project” label in this piece, but the Wyoming product’s size/speed/arm strength combination could be enticing — especially come workout time.

On Allen, Miller notes the Cardinals are connected to the current junior signal-caller. Miller writes the Cardinals abandoned their first-round quarterback crusade after Patrick Mahomes went to the Chiefs at No. 10, with the team declaring it was going to delay its Carson Palmer succession strategy a year. Allen may be the next guy the Cards are eyeing, viewing his athleticism and potential — and presumably the likelihood he won’t be a top-two pick like the Pac-12 passers — as Mahomes-esque. That might not mean much at the moment, with Mahomes having yet to play, but Miller expects Allen to be a top-10 pick. That’s more than could have been said for Mahomes at this point in last year’s process. The Jets remain the team that’s done the most work on Allen, however.

I like that we are doing our homework on QBs, I don't think anyone really knows which QB the Jets want. We're usually pretty good at locking down draft rumors.

If somehow Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson are all gone by our pick and we didn't need to trade up, I might consider Allen but I'd have to take a long look at Edge guys and LT before making that pick. 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I like that we are doing our homework on QBs, I don't think anyone really knows which QB the Jets want. We're usually pretty good at locking down draft rumors.

If somehow Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Jackson are all gone by our pick and we didn't need to trade up, I might consider Allen but I'd have to take a long look at Edge guys and LT before making that pick. 

Stidham > Allen

15 hours ago, jetsons said:

Unsure, I'm just responding to what the article is stating.

that line in the article specifically addressed Allen saying the Jets were the team doing the most homework on him, that doesn't mean they aren't doing their homework on the others.  You also have to remember the others are a little more known, they have a lot more talent around them.  It's harder to evaluate a guy like Allen so it's a good thing the Jets are doing a ton of work on him.  It doesn't mean we will take him but if we don't and he becomes good then all the fans will whine in a few years about not taking him.

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Stidham > Mayfield 

Should have just taken Mahomes at 6 last year, and all these soon to be embarrassing threads fawning over a QB who can’t hold Mahomes jock would have never happened!

I agree, I think we should have drafted Mahomes. I said it somewhere in one of the threads, we should take him at 6. 

I am not as down on Mayfield, I don't think he is Rosen or Darnold, but I was an early fan of Wilson @ Wisconsin and while I don't think Mayfield is Wilson I do think there is something about Mayfield. He doesn't have Mahomes arm talent, but I in no way would bet against him. I like his attitude and he has the ability to play in the NFL. What level QB will he be? hell I don't know but I think he would do well in this offense. 

That being said I am still wanting

1. Rosen 

2. Darnold

but I wouldn't lose my mind if we got Mayfield. And if we did I would love to see him taunt/crotch grab The Hoodie. 

11 hours ago, nyjunc said:

that line in the article specifically addressed Allen saying the Jets were the team doing the most homework on him, that doesn't mean they aren't doing their homework on the others.  You also have to remember the others are a little more known, they have a lot more talent around them.  It's harder to evaluate a guy like Allen so it's a good thing the Jets are doing a ton of work on him.  It doesn't mean we will take him but if we don't and he becomes good then all the fans will whine in a few years about not taking him.

I agree, again my response was just to what was stated in the article.

19 hours ago, legler82 said:

Benkert > Mayfield

wow. the Mayfield hate has gone too far here. Benkert... lol you are just trying to find a ProStyle QB and look intelligent by naming a QB that will be the "clever" lets develop this kid, that can't complete 60% of his passes. 

Mayfield >>>>>>> Benkert

On 12/10/2017 at 11:46 AM, Stark said:

I think he is going top 15. I just have that feeling, nothing of evidence to back that up. I still want Rosen or Darnold but Baker has me excited. His personality is infectious and I wouldn’t mind seeing him crotch grab/taunt Brady and The Hoodie. Lol

i say top 10

5 hours ago, Stark said:

wow. the Mayfield hate has gone too far here. Benkert... lol you are just trying to find a ProStyle QB and look intelligent by naming a QB that will be the "clever" lets develop this kid, that can't complete 60% of his passes. 

Mayfield >>>>>>> Benkert

Wow you got all that out of "Benkert > Mayfield"?  What you wrote above is certainly a possibility but then again I could have just meant "Benkert > Mayfield".

Archived