QB: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Villain The Foe

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think people are seeing Dak and thinking its that easy, its not.   Not sure how you could say he has a great pocket presence, they pretty much move the pocket all the time.

Hard to league to judge QB's.  They dont play D, they play a cupcake schedule, they're all are gimicky and they dont produce pro QB's. 

He's got talent, no doubt.  But he's a major project.  His mechanics are awful. 

His mechanics are his only real weakness rigjt now, and as an exceptional athlete he could probably fix that in no time.  As far as pocket presence being awful you couldn't be more wrong sorry, he feels pressure, and moves up, left, right ect based on the pressure all while keeping his eyes downfield, he is always looking to pass even when scrambling, even thou he can run he is a pocket pass first QB.  For what it's worth Kiper has already moved Mahomes up to #2 in his QB rankings behind only Trubisky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

One of 2 QB's forced to transfer because the FAR superior talent, one Pat Mahomes II came in, and took his job as a Freshman, Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma, and Davis Webb transferred to Cal.

Villain get on the Pat Mahomes II train bud it's about to be full steam, dude is a much more physically talented Prescott/R Wilson, and might even be more prepared to be an NFL QB leadership, and Intangibles wise then any player to ever enter the NFL draft.  And IF what LaTroy Hawkins said is true that Mahomes like Wentz last year has a Photographic memory he will be ready to start, and be successful day 1, we will find out after the interview process this weekend at the combine because if he has that photo memory he will be going top 3 to either Cleveland, SF, or Chicago, if the interviews go just OK he will probably get scooped up mid to late 1st round by a team with an aging QB, or a questionable QB with 1 year left like the Texans with Osweiller, Pitt with Ben, Giants with Eli, KC with Smith, or one of the teams picking early in RD 2 jumping back in.

My money is he interviews off the charts, and goes top 10 most likely top 5.

Mayfield will be a 6th rounder.

36 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

One of 2 QB's forced to transfer because the FAR superior talent, one Pat Mahomes II came in, and took his job as a Freshman, Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma, and Davis Webb transferred to Cal.

Villain get on the Pat Mahomes II train bud it's about to be full steam, dude is a much more physically talented Prescott/R Wilson, and might even be more prepared to be an NFL QB leadership, and Intangibles wise then any player to ever enter the NFL draft.  And IF what LaTroy Hawkins said is true that Mahomes like Wentz last year has a Photographic memory he will be ready to start, and be successful day 1, we will find out after the interview process this weekend at the combine because if he has that photo memory he will be going top 3 to either Cleveland, SF, or Chicago, if the interviews go just OK he will probably get scooped up mid to late 1st round by a team with an aging QB, or a questionable QB with 1 year left like the Texans with Osweiller, Pitt with Ben, Giants with Eli, KC with Smith, or one of the teams picking early in RD 2 jumping back in.

My money is he interviews off the charts, and goes top 10 most likely top 5.

Mayfield will be a 6th rounder.

Russell Wilson lost his job to Mike Glennon. And though I like Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson been to the SB twice and actually won a title. 

Doesnt matter that he lost his job to Mike Glennon in college. 

Baker Mayfield imo is NFL ready. 

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Russell Wilson lost his job to Mike Glennon. And though I like Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson been to the SB twice and actually won a title. 

Doesnt matter that he lost his job to Mike Glennon in college. 

Baker Mayfield imo is NFL ready. 

Wilson lost that job because the offense was suited to Glennon a pocket passer not Wilson, both guys who transferred went to schools who run the exact same offense, they didn't lose the job because the offense was in the coaches opinion taylored to a different player, it was because between the 3 Mahomes was by far the superior talent to run that offense, and is the superior talent to run ANY offense book it, Mayfield will never start an NFL game at QB.

34 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Wilson lost that job because the offense was suited to Glennon a pocket passer not Wilson, both guys who transferred went to schools who run the exact same offense, they didn't lose the job because the offense was in the coaches opinion taylored to a different player, it was because between the 3 Mahomes was by far the superior talent to run that offense, and is the superior talent to run ANY offense book it, Mayfield will never start an NFL game at QB.

However you wanna spin it, and I dont dont mean "spin" in a bad way. All im saying is that at the end of the day Russell was replaced by Mike Glennon yet Russell is a top 5/top 10 QB in the league. 

Tom Brady had a hard time getting past Drew Henson, today people call that cheater the goat. 

I can pretty much find an article that states why Oklahoma chose Mahomes over Mayfield, I could possibly also find an article on why it was Mayfield's decision and not that TT chose Mahomes. At the end of the day Mahomes went to Oklahoma and balled the hell out. what happened at TT doesnt change that in my eyes. 

Thats like when I see people say..."If Glennon was so good why did the Bucs draft Winston or decide to start McCown". Those decisions dont really change what I see in Glennon, and likewise with Baker Mayfield. 

I think he's the most NFL ready QB. Too bad he's not coming out this year. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

However you wanna spin it, and I dont dont mean "spin" in a bad way. All im saying is that at the end of the day Russell was replaced by Mike Glennon yet Russell is a top 5/top 10 QB in the league. 

Tom Brady had a hard time getting past Drew Henson, today people call that cheater the goat. 

I can pretty much find an article that states why Oklahoma chose Mahomes over Mayfield, I could possibly also find an article on why it was Mayfield's decision and not that TT chose Mahomes. At the end of the day Mahomes went to Oklahoma and balled the hell out. what happened at TT doesnt change that in my eyes. 

Thats like when I see people say..."If Glennon was so good why did the Bucs draft Winston or decide to start McCown". Those decisions dont really change what I see in Glennon, and likewise with Baker Mayfield. 

I think he's the most NFL ready QB. Too bad he's not coming out this year. 

IF he got a NFL advisory grade of 3rd round, or higher I guarantee he would have came out this year, BUT he is not looked at as an NFL prospect, and is screwed next year as he will be in a much better QB draft class, throw in the arrest, and he will be lucky to even get drafted.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

IF he got a NFL advisory grade of 3rd round, or higher a guarantee he would have came out this year, BUT he is not looked at as an NFL prospect, and is screwed next year as he will be in a much better QB draft class, throw in the arrest, and he will be lucky to even get drafted.

It doesnt matter what he's looked like. I can have an opinion outside of others, especially when those same people thought Jared Goff was better than Dak Prescott or that RG3 was better than Russell Wilson. 

You're making it seem like the people who create those grades cant be wrong. Furthermore, I value my own opinion than theirs when it comes to what I've seen myself. If I seen the same things they've seen but my eyes tell me that this person is better than/worst than what some advisory grade says then thats what im going with. 

I think Baker Mayfield is easily better than the Mitch trubisky's/Kizer's of this draft. 

Also, if he doesnt go in the top then cool. Hopefully Macc sees the value of getting a guy like that in the 4th-6th rounds. At the end of the day if he's good those same people who said that he was trash will be the same people praising him. It happens in every sport. 

This kid looks REALLY good. He looks like a very smart player. Great, consistent feet work with follow-through. Can make great plays on the run yet throws the ball away when he should. Accurate, can make all the throws and seems to have very good timing with his throws and the WR routes. Has a very good release, with zip. Has a little Johnny Manziel/Russell Wilson to his game. 
He looks like a top tier QB to me. Maybe even better than Wentz to me when its all said and done (It's Janurary). He looks more "NFL ready" than Wentz. I dont seen Wentz in any way, shape or form starting day one, but this kid looks like he probably could. 
[/url] 

Mayfield lost his starting job to Mahomes II at Tech.

You can throw Davis Webb into that mix as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

51 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Mayfield lost his starting job to Mahomes II at Tech.

You can throw Davis Webb into that mix as well.

Well, He didn't lose his job at Oklahoma.

I can throw in that he played damn well there also.

You have anything to say regarding his performance? We already know that he didn't play at Texas Tech

An average QB could look like an All American at OU or any Blue Blood school given the talent around them. That is Mayfield. He's not terrible by any means however you're giving him way too much credit given his surrounding cast. He's not even close to a 1st round selection. Will probably get a look 5-7 next draft if he maintains where he's at now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 7:12 PM, RJIII said:

An average QB could look like an All American at OU or any Blue Blood school given the talent around them. That is Mayfield. He's not terrible by any means however you're giving him way too much credit given his surrounding cast. He's not even close to a 1st round selection. Will probably get a look 5-7 next draft if he maintains where he's at now.

This is hilarious given your avatar. Didnt Baker Mayfield throw 7 TD's against your Texas Tech this past season? This had to hurt given Mayfield's history with the team as well. Wasnt it something like 550 yards passing, 75% completion rate, 7 TD's and 0 INT's? 

But I guess im to believe that this was his supporting cast and not him at all, right? How about this, let "ME" not give Mayfield all this credit. How about I simply post every game he's had last season and allow people to watch and decide for themselves if this guy is solely a winner because he's around winners, or is he contributing to the success of that offense. 

I guess I'll go "out of order" and start with that 7 TD game against Texas Tech. Enjoy! 

Baker Mayfield games this season. 

Game 1 vs Houston: 24-33 323 yards, 73% Comp, 2 TD's 0 INT's

Game 2 vs Louisiana Monroe: 14-20 244 yards 70% comp, 3 TD's 0 INT's

Game 3 vs Ohio St: 17-32 226 yards 53.1 Comp, 2 TD's 2 INT's

Game 4 vs TCU: 23-30 274 yards 77% Comp, 2 TD's 0 INT's

1 hour ago, peebag said:

he equates out to Chase Daniels.

Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick while Jared Goff was 1st overall. Evaluator's are messing up somewhere. 

More importantly, I didnt hear any evaluator or people who put together their "mocks" of either the draft or players at particular positions even have Dak in their top 3 for their top QB's of that draft. 

This happens all the time. It doesnt matter that he equates out to. Dak Prescott equated out to be Brett Hundley, well, Hundley is stuck behind Aaron Rodgers, but generally speaking, we can say that the "comparison" wasnt made with the expectation of what we ultimately saw. 

These evaluators are wrong all the time. 

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick while Jared Goff was 1st overall. Evaluator's are messing up somewhere. 

More importantly, I didnt hear any evaluator or people who put together their "mocks" of either the draft or players at particular positions even have Dak in their top 3 for their top QB's of that draft. 

This happens all the time. It doesnt matter that he equates out to. Dak Prescott equated out to be Brett Hundley, well, Hundley is stuck behind Aaron Rodgers, but generally speaking, we can say that the "comparison" wasnt made with the expectation of what we ultimately saw. 

These evaluators are wrong all the time. 

The evaluators are terrible, I had Dak as my 2nd QB behind Wentz last year.  And like this year the evaluators just look at physical traits, and think Mitchell Trubisky is actually good lol, Pat Mahomes is my #1 QB this draft, mark it down, he will get lucky, and get drafted by a good team late in the 1st like Houston, and will be starting a playoff game like Dak did last year.

As someone who has watched Mayfield from his freshman year at TTU. Dont buy into the gaudy stats at Oklahoma. He is not an NFL QB. This kid is a disaster waiting to happen in the NFL. Not quite Manziel bad, but I would stay far far away. 

5 hours ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

As someone who has watched Mayfield from his freshman year at TTU. Dont buy into the gaudy stats at Oklahoma. He is not an NFL QB. This kid is a disaster waiting to happen in the NFL. Not quite Manziel bad, but I would stay far far away. 

What does this mean? Can you elaborate? 

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

The evaluators are terrible, I had Dak as my 2nd QB behind Wentz last year.  And like this year the evaluators just look at physical traits, and think Mitchell Trubisky is actually good lol, Pat Mahomes is my #1 QB this draft, mark it down, he will get lucky, and get drafted by a good team late in the 1st like Houston, and will be starting a playoff game like Dak did last year.

I absolutely agree. This is my top 5. 

#1. Pat Mahomes

#2. Deshaun Watson

#3. Nathan Peterman

#4 DeShone Kizer

#5. Davis Webb

"Mich" isnt even in my top 5. This is what kinda kills me when I listen to podcasts or vids for example. Everyone has the opportunity to make their  own personal opinion, yet we always end up talking about what these "evaluators" have determined is the best QB's in order and almost every year they're wrong. The only year that I can remember that they got it right was with Jameis and Mariota...which no one was excited about any QB outside of them coming out that season. 

I like when people go against the grain, more importantly, I like when people go against the grain and stick to it.

Pat Mahomes could very well be the best QB by far this draft. Im not "All In" like I am Baker Mayfield for next season, but in terms of the best QB's in the draft I think you're absolutely right. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I absolutely agree. This is my top 5. 

#1. Pat Mahomes

#2. Deshaun Watson

#3. Nathan Peterman

#4 DeShone Kizer

#5. Davis Webb

"Mich" isnt even in my top 5. This is what kinda kills me when I listen to podcasts or vids for example. Everyone has the opportunity to make their  own personal opinion, yet we always end up talking about what these "evaluators" have determined is the best QB's in order and almost every year they're wrong. The only year that I can remember that they got it right was with Jameis and Mariota...which no one was excited about any QB outside of them coming out that season. 

I like when people go against the grain, more importantly, I like when people go against the grain and stick to it.

Pat Mahomes could very well be the best QB by far this draft. Im not "All In" like I am Baker Mayfield for next season, but in terms of the best QB's in the draft I think you're absolutely right. 

Yeah their are years where it is blatantly obvious that 1, or 2 guys are head, and shoulders better like that Winston Mariota draft, and the guys can't get it wrong.

I've been pounding the table about Mahomes since October, and if Texas Tech didn't have the 158th ranked defense (last in all of Division 1 CFB), and not 1 NFL talent player on offense playing with him, they would have won 10+ games with 1, or 2 more play makers on offense, and a defense that got a stop more then once a game, and Mahomes would be talked about so much more, and possibly won the Heisman.

Then not to mention he played most of the season with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder (final 8 games), and a broken non throwing hand which required surgery the final 5 games.  So check off the toughness box to play the QB position injured, and still perform at a high level.

Unfortunately I don't see a scenario where the Jets draft this kid, but whoever does will be very lucky, and IMO will have a franchise QB for years to come.

And on another note about our new OC, and Mahomes.  Can't you see Mahomes running that NO offense, and running it at a high level?  I bring this up because Sean Payton talked Morton up recently, and basically said he drew up a ton of plays to implement in their scheme, and will do what Sean Payton did take the QB personal, and design the offense around his skill sets, and strengths, AND have the QB be a part of the design process so the 2 of them are always on the same page about what will work based on situation, and QB's ability, and preference to have a well oiled successful offense.

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

And on another note about our new OC, and Mahomes.  Can't you see Mahomes running that NO offense, and running it at a high level?  I bring this up because Sean Payton talked Morton up recently, and basically said he drew up a ton of plays to implement in their scheme, and will do what Sean Payton did take the QB personal, and design the offense around his skill sets, and strengths, AND have the QB be a part of the design process so the 2 of them are always on the same page about what will work based on situation, and QB's ability, and preference to have a well oiled successful offense.

I think the only problem with this last part is that Mahomes is at his best when improvising.  He is amazing when things break down and he is able to exploit a vulnerability in the defense.  Its hard to draw up plays that create those scenarios consistently.  

25 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

I think the only problem with this last part is that Mahomes is at his best when improvising.  He is amazing when things break down and he is able to exploit a vulnerability in the defense.  Its hard to draw up plays that create those scenarios consistently.  

See that's what everyone says, yes he is great when the play breaks down, and improvising, but he is even BETTER when there is a play drawn up, or checked into (yes something he can, and has done at TT based off defensive looks, he had freedom to audible).

Mahomes is the complete package, he can beat you just as bad with quick developing well designed plays, just as much as he can when the play breaks down, and he goes off script (remind you of someone, or someone's that made HOF careers being able to do both?).

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

See that's what everyone says, yes he is great when the play breaks down, and improvising, but he is even BETTER when there is a play drawn up, or checked into (yes something he can, and has done at TT based off defensive looks, he had freedom to audible).

Mahomes is the complete package, he can beat you just as bad with quick developing well designed plays, just as much as he can when the play breaks down, and he goes off script (remind you of someone, or someone's that made HOF careers being able to do both?).

Reminds me of Favre, Cutler and Manziel.  Favre's moxy and intensity, Cutlers arm talent, and Manziel's style (might be because they both played under Klingsbury).  All great QB talents.  The reason that each of their careers have taken different paths though the arm talent was there, were the teams they were on (player, coaches, organizational support) and the mental ability of the player.  If Mahomes can show that he can thrive in the mental parts of the game, he could be a great player in the league.

As a side note, not only would it be great to see him work with Morton but also with their QB coach Bates who has worked with Cutler on two separate occasions (Broncos 06-08 and Bears 12). 

20 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What does this mean? Can you elaborate? 

He is a very talented young man, who couldn't beg an offer out of any of the D1 schools in Texas or for most of the country for that matter, including his own head coach after putting up a Big 12 rookie of the year season. He has major issues with authority and an even worse enabling support system. 

This kid is not some underdog story. He's not some feel good story about how a walk-on became a star. He is a walk-on because of his poor attitude. The kid was QB at a major High School program that is scouted by quite literally everyone in the state and all of the big time programs out of state. 

7 hours ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

He is a very talented young man, who couldn't beg an offer out of any of the D1 schools in Texas or for most of the country for that matter, including his own head coach after putting up a Big 12 rookie of the year season. He has major issues with authority and an even worse enabling support system. 

This kid is not some underdog story. He's not some feel good story about how a walk-on became a star. He is a walk-on because of his poor attitude. The kid was QB at a major High School program that is scouted by quite literally everyone in the state and all of the big time programs out of state. 

What are these major issues? It wasnt like he was kicked out of TT, he transferred given what was considered "miscommunication" with the coaching staff. However, he hasnt seemed to have an issue with the staff at Oklahoma whatsoever. Some of these guys have a problem with authority, but sometimes its the people in the position of authority that can also be the problem. 

Im not making any excuses for him, but im also not loosely associating him with Johnny Manziel either (as you did in an older post). Johnny Manziel was indeed a disaster, and anyone with eyes saw that coming. This is a dude that while in college constantly partied and drank at 21 and over clubs while not being 20, was kicked out of the Manning passing camp, was aggressive towards college assistants during practices, was under investigation for signing autographs and charging 10's of thousands of dollars per signing, arrested for assault and hurling racial slurs as well as being in possession of a fake I.D. And this is all before he even got to the NFL. I dont think you can put Baker Mayfield anywhere near that...even  loosely. The only issue that I know of Baker Mayfield was this past February which was an arrest for public intoxication. But atleast he wasnt behind the wheel of a car, unlike a guy like Dak Prescott. Dak is good in the NFL and suddenly no one gives a crap about that DUI he had right before the draft. What im trying to say here is that some guys are problems (Johnny Manziel) and some people make mistakes given that when you're like a celebrity of sorts and have that "enabling support system" you tend to want to do things that you normally wouldnt do. 

Speaking of that enabling support system, that system wouldnt be there if people didnt make money off of these athletes talent. I remember back in the early 2000's when ESPN used to air Lebron James high school games....LIVE! I remember watching other high school kids either walking, biking or taking the bus to school yet James was driving a Hummer to school that wasnt even available to the general public yet. This is a kid that grew up in a single parent home and his mom was not rich. I would bet my bottom dollar that the Cleveland Cavs paid for that Hummer. I bet James was able to do things as a 17 year old that no other 17 year old that he knew was able to do given that "support system". Thats the life of these guys, some get lost in it (Manziel), some can thrive better in it and learn from their mistakes and understand the personal limits. 

Getting back on Mayfield. This is a guy that put out a public apology regarding his actions (something that Dak Prescott also did) but this is also a guy who didnt chase money. Mayfield could have entered the draft this season. He instead decided to stay in school and play for an Oklahoma team that he seems not to have any "communication" issues with or authority issues...because if he did then he would have left. Speaking of authority, Baker Mayfield is only able to play this upcoming season because he was able to get his year of eligibility reversed in his favor after Texas Tech tried to deny him his year of eligibility given that he ended up transferring. The funny thing is, like you stated, he wasnt on scholarship. He paid for his college yet the university/sports program was trying to use its "authoritative influence" in order to stick it to him. This is why he didnt play football in 2014 because he initically lost a year of eligibility given that TT denied his transfer. Watching a kid want to leave given issues with the coaching staff, then to see the response of the coaching program against a student athlete kinda gives Mayfield the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. This is a kid who was kicked out of a Texas restaurant simply because he transferred. He didnt make a scene, he left as people decided to take pics of the incident, boo him and tweet about it. All he did was remember the treatment, and when he played his old school only put up 550 yards and threw 7TD's. 

Im not saying that this kid is a perfect model citizen, im talking about football at the end of the day. More importantly though, I havent seen anything given his time at Oklahoma that I feel should make NFL teams overly worried...or loosely comparing him to Johnny Manziel. 

Baker Mayfield is a beast on the field and I believe he has the skillset to make the jump and be very successful as a pro. We'll just make sure to keep him away from Sheldon Richardson and going 140 miles an hour on the highway with a loaded gun and a child in the back seat lol. ;)

On 3/30/2017 at 3:24 PM, Lupz27 said:

Yeah their are years where it is blatantly obvious that 1, or 2 guys are head, and shoulders better like that Winston Mariota draft, and the guys can't get it wrong.

I've been pounding the table about Mahomes since October, and if Texas Tech didn't have the 158th ranked defense (last in all of Division 1 CFB), and not 1 NFL talent player on offense playing with him, they would have won 10+ games with 1, or 2 more play makers on offense, and a defense that got a stop more then once a game, and Mahomes would be talked about so much more, and possibly won the Heisman.

Then not to mention he played most of the season with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder (final 8 games), and a broken non throwing hand which required surgery the final 5 games.  So check off the toughness box to play the QB position injured, and still perform at a high level.

Unfortunately I don't see a scenario where the Jets draft this kid, but whoever does will be very lucky, and IMO will have a franchise QB for years to come.

Im not really sure about that, only that Drew Brees is probably the most accurate quarterback that I've ever seen, and his anticipation is most definitely top 3 all time that ive seen. Drew Brees makes that NO offense work. I think that Mahomes can make all the throws, but im not sure if he can make all the throws with such accuracy and anticipation. In that regard Drew Brees isnt even human. That dude is a special, special talent. You cant NOT enjoy watching Drew Brees play quarterback. I dont think Mahomes has an accuracy issue, im saying that he's not nearly as accurate as Brees, but also he doesnt have those constant throws that was all anticipation. 

To be 100% fair, its also true that he runs an Air Raid offense, you dont need such anticipation such as Sean Payton's version of the west coast. Those routes are being ran for a purpose and once Brees notices the defense reaction he knows where to go with the football before the breaks by the WR's even occur.

What I can say about the Air Raid is that in order to run it efficiently you have to have a smart QB that can read defenses. Here's why, You can run 1 play that can be ran with multiple formations...and that's either passing the ball to a particular WR or running the ball. It's up to the QB to be able to read the defense and determine whats his best matchup. People underrate the Air Raid given that its not considered a "pro-style" offense, but in terms of what is required of a QB, its most definitely something that can translate to the next level given that it requires the QB to read the defense in order to determine which formation of that play he's going to run. 

Funny thing is, Pat Mahomes had total freedom change the play/audible given what he saw on the field. That's a perfect example of an "intangible" without having to be so cliche' by saying "intangible" lol. Pat Mahomes could possibly run that type of West Coast offense. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What are these major issues? It wasnt like he was kicked out of TT, he transferred given what was considered "miscommunication" with the coaching staff. However, he hasnt seemed to have an issue with the staff at Oklahoma whatsoever. Some of these guys have a problem with authority, but sometimes its the people in the position of authority that can also be the problem. 

Im not making any excuses for him, but im also not loosely associating him with Johnny Manziel either (as you did in an older post). Johnny Manziel was indeed a disaster, and anyone with eyes saw that coming. This is a dude that while in college constantly partied and drank at 21 and over clubs while not being 20, was kicked out of the Manning passing camp, was aggressive towards college assistants during practices, was under investigation for signing autographs and charging 10's of thousands of dollars per signing, arrested for assault and hurling racial slurs as well as being in possession of a fake I.D. And this is all before he even got to the NFL. I dont think you can put Baker Mayfield anywhere near that...even  loosely. The only issue that I know of Baker Mayfield was this past February which was an arrest for public intoxication.

Getting back on Mayfield. This is a guy that put out a public apology regarding his actions (something that Dak Prescott also did) but this is also a guy who didnt chase money. Mayfield could have entered the draft this season. He instead decided to stay in school and play for an Oklahoma team that he seems not to have any "communication" issues with or authority issues...because if he did then he would have left. Speaking of authority, Baker Mayfield is only able to play this upcoming season because he was able to get his year of eligibility reversed in his favor after Texas Tech tried to deny him his year of eligibility given that he ended up transferring. The funny thing is, like you stated, he wasnt on scholarship. He paid for his college yet the university/sports program was trying to use its "authoritative influence" in order to stick it to him.  Watching a kid want to leave given issues with the coaching staff, then to see the response of the coaching program against a student athlete kinda gives Mayfield the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. This is a kid who was kicked out of a Texas restaurant simply because he transferred. He didnt make a scene, he left as people decided to take pics of the incident, boo him and tweet about it. All he did was remember the treatment, and when he played his old school only put up 550 yards and threw 7TD's. 

Im not saying that this kid is a perfect model citizen, im talking about football at the end of the day. More importantly though, I havent seen anything given his time at Oklahoma that I feel should make NFL teams overly worried...or loosely comparing him to Johnny Manziel. 

Baker Mayfield is a beast on the field and I believe he has the skillset to make the jump and be very successful as a pro. We'll just make sure to keep him away from Sheldon Richardson and going 140 miles an hour on the highway with a loaded gun and a child in the back seat lol. ;)

OK so you put out a lot of stuff there. Let me try and clarify as much as I can. Mind you, it is clear you are watching Baker Mayfields career from afar, very afar.

Baker Mayfield is already loosely associated with Johnny, whether you like it or not. They are both rich spoiled kids from Central Texas, are friends and even have the same lawyer. Not to mention similar size and gameplay style. This recent arrest for public inotoxication, fleeing police, resisting arrest and his antics are another similar association with a guy well known for doing the exact same thing in college.  You really think NFL minds after witnessing Manziel implode, aren't associating things like this with Mayfield

Not sure where you are going with the Dak stuff. Dak by all accounts was a very good kid and outside of the DUI, never had any issues.

Now onto the Texas Tech days. You can choose to look at it any way you like. However consider this. Baker Mayfield was on a team with other very talented QBs (Davis Webb and Michael Brewer),and a highly touted recruit (Patrick Mahomes III coming in)  and unfortunately he got hurt. Now he still was named Big 12 rookie of the year. Mayfield wanted to be guaranteed the starting spot. Like any coach, he was told that wouldn't happen and there would be a competition considering how well Webb played and Mahomes coming in. Baker walked out and quit the team. Things after that became very heated between all sides. 

Now i agree with the rule change. If you are a walk-on and paying your own money, you can come and go where you want unless you are put on scholarship. Glad they fixed this, regardless of the player in question. 

I am not arguing talent. Baker Mayfield is a talented player, I have my doubts on whether his game translates to the NFL. But rest assured the comparisons to Manziel that you want to ignore are there. 

1 hour ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

OK so you put out a lot of stuff there. Let me try and clarify as much as I can. Mind you, it is clear you are watching Baker Mayfields career from afar, very afar.

Baker Mayfield is already loosely associated with Johnny, whether you like it or not. They are both rich spoiled kids from Central Texas, are friends and even have the same lawyer. Not to mention similar size and gameplay style. This recent arrest for public inotoxication, fleeing police, resisting arrest and his antics are another similar association with a guy well known for doing the exact same thing in college.  You really think NFL minds after witnessing Manziel implode, aren't associating things like this with Mayfield

The "recent" arrest? Does he have any priors? How many college players have been arrested for public intoxication? Quite a few? Maybe more? Again, im not defending his actions, obviously its a situation that he acknowledged and apologized for. However, I dont see a "resume of stupidity" like with Johnny football. I mean, outside of being rich and from central texas with the same lawyer I dont get the association. The difference here is, one guy had what is now looked at as an isolated incident (Mayfield) while the other guy is "well known" for incidents like this (Manziel). We can jigsaw puzzle this together to make it fit, but it seems like between Baker's playstyle and the fact that he left TT people have it out for Mayfield. Yet all he does is produce for Oklahoma, and outside of this incident has not been spotted in clubs in which he's too young to be in carrying fake ID's and signing, criticizing his school and pushing violence to the training staff/assistance at his university. This comparison is as overblown as Todd Bowles saying that it wasnt life or death when a player is late. 

Not sure where you are going with the Dak stuff. Dak by all accounts was a very good kid and outside of the DUI, never had any issues.

And outside of this arrest, I dont have anything else on Mayfield that would make me feel like he's the next Johnny Manziel. Outside of him being spoiled, rich and from central Texas. :rolleyes:

Now onto the Texas Tech days. You can choose to look at it any way you like. However consider this. Baker Mayfield was on a team with other very talented QBs (Davis Webb and Michael Brewer),and a highly touted recruit (Patrick Mahomes III coming in)  and unfortunately he got hurt. Now he still was named Big 12 rookie of the year. Mayfield wanted to be guaranteed the starting spot. Like any coach, he was told that wouldn't happen and there would be a competition considering how well Webb played and Mahomes coming in. Baker walked out and quit the team. Things after that became very heated between all sides. 

Now i agree with the rule change. If you are a walk-on and paying your own money, you can come and go where you want unless you are put on scholarship. Glad they fixed this, regardless of the player in question.

I've considered it, and this is what I've come up with. If I was Baker Mayfield and I know that I've just become the first walk-on true freshmen in FBS history to start a game/season for a D1 college AND win the Big 12 rookie of the year while missing the last few games, you're damn right I'd be looking to be given the starting job. It's funny how this can easily be looked at as him "quitting on the team" instead of the team not willing to "invest" in him even after seeing his performance. Also, its not like he was the only QB in the history of College football to transfer schools. Didnt Cam Newton transfer from Florida to Auburn because he didnt want to sit and wait behind Tim Tebow? Didn't Russell Wilson transfer from NC State to Wisconsin because he didnt want to sit behind Mike Glennon. Russell Wilson literally left NC State because Mike Glennon took his starting spot. At the end of the day, this is business. You have students going to school paying for an education...which is a business decision given that you're investing in your future...and that is the exact same thing with college sports. Baker Mayfield was the rookie of the year and the first true freshmen walk-on in the history of the sport to start the season for a D1 football team. Yet because it's Baker Mayfield he suddenly "quit on the team"? Did Russell Wilson "quit on the team" when Glennon took his job? Did Newton "quit on the team" when he didnt want to wait for Tebow to cement his Gator legacy? Or did these guys make the best decision for their future, and specifically in Mayfield's case, he's PAYING for school and is not on a scholarship. Why would you pay to possibly be put on the bench? How about market yourself to another team willing to take a shot on you, which is what he did. 

I dont see the big deal here, however, what I did notice is that after Mayfield refused to want to go with what the coaches wanted to do, which was his decision by the way given that he's PAYING to be there, Mayfield decided to pick up his ball and go somewhere else, and the University decided to be aholes and try to stick it to him because he decided that he can be a starter somewhere else. Transfers happen every single year throughout all of college football. Suddenly Baker Mayfield is the bad guy because he decided to make the best decision for himself and the dollars he's spending? 

It sounds to me that this is more about him being a spoiled rich kid from central Texas that happens to have the same lawyer as Johnny football than it is this guy being a true menace to society. The kid is a baller. Let him live. 

You got to wonder what type of advice Mayfield's agents are giving him.  Other than he's not an NFL QB and the league needs to see more. Otherwise, you would have thought he'd come out this year in a much weaker class than next year.  My guess is he was rated lower than already low rated QB's and he's hoping he can raise his stock with another year under his belt.

Archived