QB: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Villain The Foe

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

And Dan Marino fell to where he did because of fears of drugs.

So is Mayfield more Marino, or more Manziel?

I don't see much Marino, but that doesn't mean he will be a bust.

FWIW, after last season this was the scouting report I read:

Biggest takeaway: After a few Houdini-like plays from Mayfield, I wrote down "Johnny Manziel 2.0" in my notebook. After studying a full 3 games, I felt like that wasn't a great comparison. Manziel was a little more dynamic than Mayfield as both a passer and runner. I know Manziel's NFL career didn't pan out (mostly because of off-field issues) but Manziel did possess a unique skill set. I think a better comparison for Mayfield is Colt McCoy coming out of college. I know OU fans won't appreciate this comparison, but I think they are similar athletes and possess similar arm talent. Both guys were big-time winners in college and I think Mayfield, like McCoy, will have a long NFL career as a solid No. 2 QB.

To be fair, I only looked that up based on a comment from some scout talking up his arm at one of the QB camps. The guy in the above link wasn't too impressed with his arm strength.  I think it was considered not huge but adequate.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2739597-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-can-baker-mayfield-be-a-franchise-nfl-qb

He might not be a natural fit for every offense, but if you look at the most successful young quarterbacks in the NFL this season (Watson, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Dak Prescott), we see offenses that have been adjusted to fit their strengths. You can do that with Mayfield. His underneath accuracy hasn't shown up as a strength, but his mobility and toughness would work with Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco or John Morton and the New York Jets. He's athletic enough to run the scheme Tyrod Taylor runs in Buffalo. His downfield passing ability would even be a fit for Sean Payton in New Orleans.

Compared to the much-hyped 2018 quarterback class, where does Mayfield fit in? Said one scout, "I haven't studied them all yet, but I'd take [Baker] over [Wyoming's] Josh Allen. Don't underestimate the kid."

The three things I look for first when evaluating a quarterback are accuracy, decision-making and toughness. Mayfield has shown all three at a high level every chance he's had on the field in college. Some teams may overthink this scouting report, but mine will say that Mayfield is a franchise-caliber quarterback.

https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma/rivals-names-baker-mayfield-college-footballs-midseason-fearless-leader/amp

“This award goes to the best pure leader in college football and there is no better leader than Mayfield, who reminds me a lot of a Brett Favre – (without the cannon), Aaron Rodgers-type who will run through a wall for his team and leads by example. NFL scouts take notice; stop sleeping on Mayfield.”

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Honestly? I think his arm is just as good as Darnold's and Rosen's. Just because you are short doesn't mean you can't throw it, look at Mike Vick and Michael Bishop. 

26 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Honestly? I think his arm is just as good as Darnold's and Rosen's. Just because you are short doesn't mean you can't throw it, look at Mike Vick and Michael Bishop. 

Agreed, and his arm is plenty strong. I've seen him throw 40-50 yard bombs on a dime consistently. He also has one of the highest long range completion percentages and amount of completions in all of football. 

50 minutes ago, maury77 said:

22 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed, and his arm is plenty strong. I've seen him throw 40-50 yard bombs on a dime consistently. He also has one of the highest long range completion percentages and amount of completions in all of football. 

That analysis isn't mine.  It is Daniel Jeremiah.  Say what you want about the talking heads, but Jerermiah was a scout with the Ravens and some other teams.  As I said, the reason I even looked up the kid's scouting report is that somebody at one of the QB camps said that his arm would make you forget the others and more people should be talking about him.  He did sort of walk out on Texas Tech.

FWIW, this is what he said about the kid's arm:

He has excellent touch on underneath throws (swings, bubble screens, shallow crossers, etc.) and his deep-ball touch is above average. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he flashes the ability to drive the ball. He is ultra competitive and he pops right up after taking some huge hits from opposing front-seven defenders.

Jeremiah also circled the Ohio State game as a great test and wanted to see how Mayfield fared against their ferocious front 7.  You guys may think I am way against him, but I don't have much dog in this fight other than thinking his arrest video and the cops comments were pretty funny.  I DO prefer a taller QB, but you can certainly win with a guy with this kid's size and arm strength, but you can lose with them too.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That analysis isn't mine.  It is Daniel Jeremiah.  Say what you want about the talking heads, but Jerermiah was a scout with the Ravens and some other teams.  As I said, the reason I even looked up the kid's scouting report is that somebody at one of the QB camps said that his arm would make you forget the others and more people should be talking about him.  He did sort of walk out on Texas Tech.

FWIW, this is what he said about the kid's arm:

He has excellent touch on underneath throws (swings, bubble screens, shallow crossers, etc.) and his deep-ball touch is above average. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he flashes the ability to drive the ball. He is ultra competitive and he pops right up after taking some huge hits from opposing front-seven defenders.

Jeremiah also circled the Ohio State game as a great test and wanted to see how Mayfield fared against their ferocious front 7.  You guys may think I am way against him, but I don't have much dog in this fight other than thinking his arrest video and the cops comments were pretty funny.  I DO prefer a taller QB, but you can certainly win with a guy with this kid's size and arm strength, but you can lose with them too.

I prefer a taller QB too to be honest. Im looking at Mayfield for us if hes there in the second. Either way, as the analysis says his arm strength is above average and can drive passes in. So no red flag there. 

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I prefer a taller QB too to be honest. Im looking at Mayfield for us if hes there in the second. Either way, as the analysis says his arm strength is above average and can drive passes in. So no red flag there. 

I don't think that anybody, least of all me, ever claimed his arm strength was a red flag.  The question is whether it is a big plus or not.

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Serious question:  You think he'd be available in the 2nd Round?

That seems...unrealistic.  Again, educate me.  It's possible 5 QB's could go in the first round...you think Mayfield won't be one of them?

On 10/19/2017 at 7:09 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Plays in a conference that doesn't play defense, which begs the question can/will he be able to read defenses?

Lack of height will create trouble making passes.

Lack of size is a durability concern.

I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him. But those are the knocks.

The Ohio State game I think definitely was huge for him ripping apart a defense with NFL talent and a former NFL HC as their dc.

Yeah because all those Ohio St. defenseman work out in the NFL for the Jets, what an overrated group that D is.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:35 PM, Warfish said:

I like what I hear about Mayfield.

I like what I see (production/stats wise) from Mayfield.  He is #1 or top 5 in nearly every QB production stat there is this year (and specifically in comp. %, which I like alot).

I would be comfortable with Mayfield at picks 10-15 in round #1, where I believe we end up picking.

What horrible, glaring, obvious weakness am I overlooking?

There is no QB in the country that plays against a sh*t D as often as he does, plays in a offense tailored to put up gaudy stats, has had the best O-line protecting him in college possibly the past 2 years, and oh yeah go look at the offensive weapons he has had over the past 2 years, 3 were drafted this past year Dede Westbrook, Joe Mixon, and Samaje Perine, and I'm sure there are another 2-3 early round prospects at the play maker position in OU right now.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah because all those Ohio St. defenseman work out in the NFL for the Jets, what an overrated group that D is.

Who the Jets pick is a cursed bunch of misery. Fact doesn't change that Ohio State has a talented COLLEGE defense that is more complex than most college systems. Don't compare individual players in the NFL to what I'm comparing in college. 

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Serious question:  You think he'd be available in the 2nd Round?

That seems...unrealistic.  Again, educate me.  It's possible 5 QB's could go in the first round...you think Mayfield won't be one of them?

Not set in stome that 5 go. And scouts look at measurables and projection more than college production, especially with an undersized spread offense type qb.

I think Mayfield is a second round pick.

I think if you look at the QB situations in AZ, Min, and to a lesser extent Denver, add them to teams that could be looking at QBs of the future like the NYG, Cincinnati (if a coaching change is made) Ind, LAC, and perhaps Buffalo, when adding Cle and SF/Was, there is a great chance that like in the past, QBs will be overdrafted.  

If the Jets plan on getting a QB ever, they need to take one with their first pick.  And depending on where we are picking, every other team that wants a QB will know what we are doing and will try to get in front of us.

I actually trust our offensive coaches more than I have any Jet coaches in a long time.  

Have the scouting department work with Morton and Batesto find what QBs they can win with.  Then do what ever it takes to get one.

On 10/21/2017 at 7:35 AM, Lupz27 said:

There is no QB in the country that plays against a sh*t D as often as he does, plays in a offense tailored to put up gaudy stats, has had the best O-line protecting him in college possibly the past 2 years, and oh yeah go look at the offensive weapons he has had over the past 2 years, 3 were drafted this past year Dede Westbrook, Joe Mixon, and Samaje Perine, and I'm sure there are another 2-3 early round prospects at the play maker position in OU right now.

He’s playing against the same defenses your boy Mahommes played against last year.  He played well against Ohio St also.  I’m not saying that he will be a stud pro but I’m willing to take a chance on him.

8 minutes ago, Joejet said:

He’s playing against the same defenses your boy Mahommes played against last year.  He played well against Ohio St also.  I’m not saying that he will be a stud pro but I’m willing to take a chance on him.

Again it's going to be epic around here as everyone goes crazy because the Jets like the rest of the NFL pass on Mayfield in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft while as many as 5-6 QB's get drafte ahead of him.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:39 AM, Stark said:

To me right now it's:

1. Rosen then 2. Darnold... if both are gone then Mayfield seems like the best choice for this offense, but I don't know if I'd draft him early first round. Trade back into first maybe, its tough but he is playing great football.

Here is the point I made in the thread I started....WHY?  What has these two done this year that warrants that....I really want to know, because I just don't see it from the games I have watched compared to Mayfield.

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Drew Brees says hi....although, he might not have been tall enough for anyone to see....

If you read through the thread, I was responding to a question of what are concerns teams have with Baker.

They aren't my concerns with him. I'd happily take him on our team.

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is the point I made in the thread I started....WHY?  What has these two done this year that warrants that....I really want to know, because I just don't see it from the games I have watched compared to Mayfield.

Crickets.

Like Hack, they're both more scout-driven "potential" and "measurables" than they are about play and production.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Baker Mayfield is the best qb in college football and would be the best qb in the afc east right now outside of Tom Brady. 

Dude is a savage competitor.  Its not close when compared to other qb's in college. 

The best part of his game is the passion that he plays with.

I just love it

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 9.56.44 AM.png

On 11/4/2017 at 11:21 PM, CanadaSteve said:

Um... yeah That quote was over a month ago, and clearly says "To me right now". Today is not right now it was after 4 weeks of football. Also, I didn't bash Baker Mayfield here either, 4 weeks into the season I was saying trade back into the 1st for him, clearly I am okay with Baker. The 1 thing from this statement I would change is the Maybe, its tough

On 11/5/2017 at 8:01 AM, Warfish said:

Crickets.

Like Hack, they're both more scout-driven "potential" and "measurables" than they are about play and production.

I'd like to know how, that after 4 weeks of football and before most people warmed up to Mayfield I had already said I'd trade back into the 1st rd for him.

20 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Baker Mayfield is the best qb in college football and would be the best qb in the afc east right now outside of Tom Brady. 

Dude is a savage competitor.  Its not close when compared to other qb's in college. 

Here we go, me and my buddy Villain with some QB discussion. lol.. I agree, do you still have the Glennon profile photo?

Baker Mayfield is the BEST QB in college football. The kid has Balls, moxie, tremendous competitive edge, killer instinct. He can make every throw needed. The only possible knock on him from a physical standpoint is that his is 2 inches short. He is not small, thicker kid and tough. After this weekends game against Oklahoma St. I don't know what anyone could say bad about him, he was manipulating safeties (it appeared so, i was watching at a bar). There is nothing I can knock him on. I still like him enough to say I would be happy as hell to have him QB'ing this team in Morton's system. - yes I would draft him in the first RD, if we are going to take him in the mid to late 20's (trade back into 1st or if we traded back). Also as long as there is no hiccup he is my Heisman leader as of today. He reminds me of Russel Wilson, I know that is something that is getting more popular on this board @KRL made this same comp too. I liked Wilson coming out of WI and was screaming at the TV to draft him. Mayfield is for sure my favorite QB to watch, and like Rosen has that F.U. attitude that I like in a QB.

So all that being said..... today IMO - 

I still would take Rosen 1st QB in draft. He has a stronger arm than Baker, or it appears that he does to me. obviously he is 6'4". The biggest difference to me is that Rosen seems to have more willingness to play from the pocket where Baker will leave the pocket, there are times Baker could move up in the pocket but choses to leave, I don't know how that will translate to the NFL game for him in-particular but that is also what makes him dynamic.  Rosen works under center and has better traditional mechanics. Rosen has nothing around him, talent wise and he is basically the entire offense. Rosen does have some issues still, but I think there is less to correct with him from the start.

To address the Darnold ///// he is a bit maddening. But, some of the throws he makes and throws he makes on the move are ridiculous. Throws too many INT's for me but I still think I take him as the 2nd QB. Upside.

Mayfield as qb 3. 

20 minutes ago, Stark said:

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 9.56.44 AM.png

Um... yeah That quote was over a month ago, and clearly says "To me right now". Today is not right now it was after 4 weeks of football. Also, I didn't bash Baker Mayfield here either, 4 weeks into the season I was saying trade back into the 1st for him, clearly I am okay with Baker. The 1 thing from this statement I would change is the Maybe, its tough

I'd like to know how, that after 4 weeks of football and before most people warmed up to Mayfield I had already said I'd trade back into the 1st rd for him.

Here we go, me and my buddy Villain with some QB discussion. lol.. I agree, do you still have the Glennon profile photo?

Baker Mayfield is the BEST QB in college football. The kid has Balls, moxie, tremendous competitive edge, killer instinct. He can make every throw needed. The only possible knock on him from a physical standpoint is that his is 2 inches short. He is not small, thicker kid and tough. After this weekends game against Oklahoma St. I don't know what anyone could say bad about him, he was manipulating safeties (it appeared so, i was watching at a bar). There is nothing I can knock him on. I still like him enough to say I would be happy as hell to have him QB'ing this team in Morton's system. - yes I would draft him in the first RD, if we are going to take him in the mid to late 20's (trade back into 1st or if we traded back). Also as long as there is no hiccup he is my Heisman leader as of today. He reminds me of Russel Wilson, I know that is something that is getting more popular on this board @KRL made this same comp too. I liked Wilson coming out of WI and was screaming at the TV to draft him. Mayfield is for sure my favorite QB to watch, and like Rosen has that F.U. attitude that I like in a QB.

So all that being said..... today IMO - 

I still would take Rosen 1st QB in draft. He has a stronger arm than Baker, or it appears that he does to me. obviously he is 6'4". The biggest difference to me is that Rosen seems to have more willingness to play from the pocket where Baker will leave the pocket, there are times Baker could move up in the pocket but choses to leave, I don't know how that will translate to the NFL game for him in-particular but that is also what makes him dynamic.  Rosen works under center and has better traditional mechanics. Rosen has nothing around him, talent wise and he is basically the entire offense. Rosen does have some issues still, but I think there is less to correct with him from the start.

To address the Darnold ///// he is a bit maddening. But, some of the throws he makes and throws he makes on the move are ridiculous. Throws too many INT's for me but I still think I take him as the 2nd QB. Upside.

Mayfield as qb 3. 

Didn' realize the comment was that old, but thanks for the update.  I just don't see the reasoning behind some of the people that are ADAMANT that Darnold is the better pick, no matter what, when he really hasn't shown much this season to warrant such accolades. 

Was looking at some college videos and came across this. Pretty interesting if this guys stats are correct.

The 9:02 mark has Mayfield's 3 year scores.... stud. only knock is the Strength of Schedule

I know some are going to be skeptical, as was I, when you see J.T. Barrett having a 94 QBScore

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Didn' realize the comment was that old, but thanks for the update.  I just don't see the reasoning behind some of the people that are ADAMANT that Darnold is the better pick, no matter what, when he really hasn't shown much this season to warrant such accolades. 

I'm certainly not one of them, but considering how many of these guys felt Darnold was worth throwing this season completely in the tank it should not be a surprise. 

Archived