QB: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Villain The Foe

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Have the jets been scouting Jackson or Mayfield?  You only hear about them scouting Rosen, Darnold and Allen.

There are some red flags with Baker Mayfield and his Dad.  Another poster here compared them to the Balls.  

I found some older articles from Texas Tech and TCU head coaches that said if people knew the whole story they wouldn’t have a very high opinion of both Baker or his Dad.

Couple that with his arrest at OK, the issue he had this past weekend, the Jets probably don’t want to risk bringing someone like that to the NY media.  In fact, I don’t think a many teams would risk it.  That maybe why no one has him rated in the first round.

4 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Is Mayfield not a lesser version of Jackson?

Jackson does more with less, has twice the athleticism and tools. 

Or am I missing something?

Trying to be nice but if that is your analysis you're missing everything. Mayfield has great pocket awareness and is always looking downfield thinking pass first even while scrambling. His accuracy, completion percentage and production via the pass are off the charts. Jackson is a gifted runner who is desperately trying to prove that he is a passer. They couldn't be more different.

1 minute ago, Mackman55 said:

Trying to nice but if that is your analysis you're missing everything. Mayfield has great pocket awareness and is always looking downfield thinking pass first even while scrambling. His accuracy, completion percentage and production via the pass are off the charts. Jackson is a gifted runner who is desperately trying to prove that he is a passer. They couldn't be more different.

Got it. I'm a big Jackson supporter.

Mayfield benched for start of game this week against West Virginia (will likely still play most of the game). We can probably get him in the 2nd round at this point. Which is probably the best thing for him. If he is taken in the 1st round it validates his actions. If he drops to the 2nd, maybe it wakes him up a little and puts a chip on his shoulder. 

48 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mayfield benched for start of game this week against West Virginia (will likely still play most of the game). We can probably get him in the 2nd round at this point. Which is probably the best thing for him. If he is taken in the 1st round it validates his actions. If he drops to the 2nd, maybe it wakes him up a little and puts a chip on his shoulder. 

I guarantee you that if Mayfield does not go in the first it will have nothing to do with him grabbing his crotch and yelling at the KU sideline. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So it will be because he was arrested for public intoxication this year? 

Eh.  More likely because he is small and there may be other issues.  I was the one that posted this a month ago.  He went down pretty easy.

On 10/19/2017 at 5:43 PM, #27TheDominator said:

tenor.gif

“By the way he's the quarterback for OU.”

“He is ... Is he really?"

"That's what his girlfriend said."

"He's not very fast.”

If the NFL looks at Jackson like this writer, than Jackson will be gone but Mayfield may still be there. Which I feel really sucks.

1. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Stock Up

Jackson's made an unassuming, methodical climb to the top spot. That's a strange sentence for a former Heisman winner. Last week, I touched on the amazing reality that Jackson's rushing ability was being overlooked this season and when projecting him to the NFL. This week, while watching Louisville dismantle Syracuse, I made a concerted effort to ignore his runs. How would I come away from a Jackson performance without the scrambling, read-option carries, and just plain ridiculous jukes in the open field? The answer: thoroughly impressed.

Jackson is one refined quarterback prospect. I'm telling you. Way more often than not, he swiftly avoided pressure like it was white noise around him, then uncorked a rocket 20 or 30 yards downfield into the hands of a tightly covered receiver. Did that receiver catch the pass? Ehhh, maybe, maybe not. In the win over the Orange, Jackson made one or two inaccurate throws and a few short ho-hum passes into the flat. The rest of his attempts resulted in that "thoroughly impressed" reaction. Arm strength? Check. Pocket drifting? Check. Accuracy to all levels of the field? Check. Right now, Jackson is the best quarterback prospect in the 2018 class, and that's even without his running capabilities, which, you know, are reminiscent of Vick. 

Take away the sensational running ability and Jackson is still the draft's most complete QB prospect.  USATSI

2. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

Stock Down

It seemed like this game was coming for Rudolph. The injured shoulder. Defenses taking away the deep ball. The worsening weather. Speaking of weather, it was a perfect storm for Rudolph in the stunning loss to Kansas State. He struggled mightily with accuracy and timing with his receivers, the latter of which shouldn't happen for a senior with a slew of veteran pass-catchers. He released a handful of interception-worthy passes, and two other throws were actually picked off. So was a crucial two-point conversion late.

Rudolph's lack of arm strength was more apparent in the loss to the Wildcats because of his wayward accuracy. Things get ugly when a signal-caller is misfiring and his passes aren't getting to the intended target in a hurry. Although I'm not as convinced with his deep-ball touch anymore and now do think the arm-strength questions are valid, I still like his movement in the pocket and intermediate accuracy. The long reign for Rudolph at No. 1 comes to an end, as over the past month or so he's looked like a quarterback prospect who's taken a step back from a strong junior season, not a step forward.      

3. Josh Rosen, UCLA

Stock Up 

Rosen's team lost the Battle for the City of Angels -- did anyone call it that? Has more ring than the Battle for L.A. -- but he was the better quarterback. Rosen's awesomely hot and cold. When he's hot, playing quarterback looks easy. When he's cold, he looks like he's never played quarterback before. Yes, there are more "hot" moments than "cold" moments, which was the case against the Trojans.

Look, the Bruins clearly have many flaws, mostly on defense. Rosen kept them in a game they had no business being in. Yet, one could say his bad end-zone interception was the difference. And there you have it. That's kind of the book on Rosen, not that he throws a game-deciding pick every game. He screams "Eli Manning" to me, and no, not the Eli Manning of today. The "pro-ready pocket passer" from Ole Miss in 2004 who was the first pick in the draft. The slight upgrade with Rosen in that comparison is a stronger arm and more mobility. 

Rosen outplayed Sam Darnold on Saturday.  USATSI

4. Sam Darnold, USC

Stock Steady

Am I the only one who thinks Darnold blatantly needs one more year of schooling? He just seems "young" on the field with his decisions, at times crazed scrambling, and happy feet when pressure's mounting. However -- and this is a big "however" -- Darnold's coverage-reading abilities and arm are clearly far ahead of his feet, and definitely unusually outstanding for a redshirt sophomore. He wasn't tremendous against UCLA, and, really, he didn't need to be. I did see the typical three or four No. 1 overall pick passes through coverage and the "oh no" throws too.

Darnold's a fiery competitor with a copious amount of natural talent who can make anticipation throws, a rarity for quarterbacks with his relative lack of experience. He could declare for the 2018 draft and ultimately be a good NFL quarterback. I just think another year of harnessing all of his tools at the collegiate level would likely make him the No. 1 overall pick in the 2019 draft and considerably more "ready" to be a high-end franchise signal-caller in the NFL. Then again, would he be concerned about coming back and not playing as well? Ehhh. Maybe. Darnold would likely be a first-round pick if he enters the 2018 draft, which would justifiably be a pretty enticing draw for him to declare in a few months.

5. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Stock Down, Slightly

You aren't here for takes on the sideline gestures by Mayfield, so this sentence is all I'm writing on that topic for now.

In apparently gusty conditions in Lawrence, Kansas, Mayfield had his least-impressive effort of the 2017 season. He was uncharacteristically erratic downfield, had trouble finding open receivers, and relied on wild improvisation behind the line of scrimmage more than usual. Weather conditions aren't easy to see on television at times, but the commentators did mention the wind more than once during the game. Still though, Mayfield relies on an extreme amount of yards-after-the-catch and is playing with, to me, the best supporting cast in the country, which makes it even more difficult to do something super complex in the first place  -- predicting how well a college quarterback will transition to the NFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-qb-stock-watch-lamar-jackson-passes-mason-rudolph-for-top-spot/

On 11/19/2017 at 3:19 PM, RESNewYork said:

Is Mayfield not a lesser version of Jackson?

Jackson does more with less, has twice the athleticism and tools. 

Or am I missing something?

Mayfield is also a FAR lesser version of Mahomes yet because he played with JuCo level talent, AND still put up the same numbers Mayfield is, but his team lost with the last ranked defense literally everybody said he was mid round development trash, but now everyone is on Mayfields jock when Mayfield himself can't hold Mahomes jock what a joke.

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You ain't looking. 

Fools 'round here don't count. Pro/media writers and analyst? Haven't heard him reduced to a one-read guy - at least not in the past year or so. His accuracy and ability to find the open man is well praised. 

The beginning of the season folks said "Baker Mayfield never play's against great defenses". Then Oklahoma play's TCU a few weeks back and Mayfield absolutely torched them. However, some excuses were made. 

Well, Oklahoma played TCU's defense again for the championship last night. What do you think happened? 

If we don't draft Baker Mayfield it will be a mistake. 

Yesterday's game continued to display the pro traits that Mayfield has
even though he operates in a "gimmick" offense:

- The ability/desire to operate from the pocket

- Mobility within the pocket to buy time and to go through progressions

- The ability to manipulate the secondary by looking one way and throwing
the other

- Accuracy to hit receivers in stride and allow them to get YAC

You also have to be impressed with the way he was able to beat up a TCU
defense again in such a short period of time.  I'm sure they made adjustments
but they didn't slow him down.  I hope our front office is smart enough to
ignore his height and to judge him on his traits 

On 12/3/2017 at 7:17 AM, KRL said:

Yesterday's game continued to display the pro traits that Mayfield has
even though he operates in a "gimmick" offense:

- The ability/desire to operate from the pocket

- Mobility within the pocket to buy time and to go through progressions

- The ability to manipulate the secondary by looking one way and throwing
the other

- Accuracy to hit receivers in stride and allow them to get YAC

You also have to be impressed with the way he was able to beat up a TCU
defense again in such a short period of time.  I'm sure they made adjustments
but they didn't slow him down.  I hope our front office is smart enough to
ignore his height and to judge him on his traits 

He also is able to be accurate regardless of his arm angle.  He was moving all around the pocket and still getting the ball exactly where it needed to be.

At this point, if we win one more game there is going to be a legitimate question if he will around when we pick in the first.

This guy has it.  He can be Brees, Wilson in the NFL.  He's a leader, he's electric.  The team feeds off of that.  He has Jamal Adams' attitude but on offense.  We need to take this guy!  He has the attitude to play on this team.  You can tell he LOVES football, and I think he loves to win even more.

Let's give the Patriots and their fans a player to hate.  They will hate him because he will own them.

I think Darnold will bust and Rosen isn't cut out for NY, but I hope the Browns and Giants take them and Baker falls to us.

Archived