QB: Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Villain The Foe

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

The "recent" arrest? Does he have any priors? How many college players have been arrested for public intoxication? Quite a few? Maybe more? Again, im not defending his actions, obviously its a situation that he acknowledged and apologized for. However, I dont see a "resume of stupidity" like with Johnny football. I mean, outside of being rich and from central texas with the same lawyer I dont get the association. The difference here is, one guy had what is now looked at as an isolated incident (Mayfield) while the other guy is "well known" for incidents like this (Manziel). We can jigsaw puzzle this together to make it fit, but it seems like between Baker's playstyle and the fact that he left TT people have it out for Mayfield. Yet all he does is produce for Oklahoma, and outside of this incident has not been spotted in clubs in which he's too young to be in carrying fake ID's and signing, criticizing his school and pushing violence to the training staff/assistance at his university. This comparison is as overblown as Todd Bowles saying that it wasnt life or death when a player is late. 

And outside of this arrest, I dont have anything else on Mayfield that would make me feel like he's the next Johnny Manziel. Outside of him being spoiled, rich and from central Texas. :rolleyes:

I've considered it, and this is what I've come up with. If I was Baker Mayfield and I know that I've just become the first walk-on true freshmen in FBS history to start a game/season for a D1 college AND win the Big 12 rookie of the year while missing the last few games, you're damn right I'd be looking to be given the starting job. It's funny how this can easily be looked at as him "quitting on the team" instead of the team not willing to "invest" in him even after seeing his performance. Also, its not like he was the only QB in the history of College football to transfer schools. Didnt Cam Newton transfer from Florida to Auburn because he didnt want to sit and wait behind Tim Tebow? Didn't Russell Wilson transfer from NC State to Wisconsin because he didnt want to sit behind Mike Glennon. Russell Wilson literally left NC State because Mike Glennon took his starting spot. At the end of the day, this is business. You have students going to school paying for an education...which is a business decision given that you're investing in your future...and that is the exact same thing with college sports. Baker Mayfield was the rookie of the year and the first true freshmen walk-on in the history of the sport to start the season for a D1 football team. Yet because it's Baker Mayfield he suddenly "quit on the team"? Did Russell Wilson "quit on the team" when Glennon took his job? Did Newton "quit on the team" when he didnt want to wait for Tebow to cement his Gator legacy? Or did these guys make the best decision for their future, and specifically in Mayfield's case, he's PAYING for school and is not on a scholarship. Why would you pay to possibly be put on the bench? How about market yourself to another team willing to take a shot on you, which is what he did. 

I dont see the big deal here, however, what I did notice is that after Mayfield refused to want to go with what the coaches wanted to do, which was his decision by the way given that he's PAYING to be there, Mayfield decided to pick up his ball and go somewhere else, and the University decided to be aholes and try to stick it to him because he decided that he can be a starter somewhere else. Transfers happen every single year throughout all of college football. Suddenly Baker Mayfield is the bad guy because he decided to make the best decision for himself and the dollars he's spending? 

It sounds to me that this is more about him being a spoiled rich kid from central Texas that happens to have the same lawyer as Johnny football than it is this guy being a true menace to society. The kid is a baller. Let him live. 

How many college players have been arrested for public intoxication. Most haven't. That's why its a story when one does. You are confusing a lot of what Manziel has done in the NFL as far as getting in trouble. In his college days he had the autograph issue and the 2012 arrest. Other than that he was just a "typical college kid" according to everyone. In fact sounds alot like how you are covering for Mayfield now. I remember vividly. "he should be allowed to sell his autograph", "He's just a typical college kid having fun" "What college kid didnt go to bars under age" The bigger issues for Manziel didnt happen until he was drafted. 

You say Manziel had  record or stupidity coming out. What do you call Mayfield getting arrested and all the other drama surrounding him...

To me they sound like they have similar personality traits. And you are right. Young, spoiled rich kids who have no respect for authority typically don't all of a sudden find it when they are handed millions of dollars and the keys to an NFL city.

I do believe Manziel is a bigger headcase no doubt, but to say there isnt some concerning similarities is being willfully ignorant. 

Not going to waste anymore time discussing Baker Mayfield. You have your opinion. I have mine. Lets agree to disagree. I agree with you 100% that the NCAA rules regarding walk-ons transferring was wrong. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

How many college players have been arrested for public intoxication. Most haven't. That's why its a story when one does. You are confusing a lot of what Manziel has done in the NFL as far as getting in trouble.

Am I? That's funny, because everything that I stated as examples of Manziel happened while at Texas A&M. I never once touched any of the things that he did while a pro. I think you're confusing Manziel with Mayfield. 

In his college days he had the autograph issue and the 2012 arrest. Other than that he was just a "typical college kid" according to everyone.

All of the issues that I wrote happened while he was in college. So that's not correct. Also, according to "everyone" Manziel" was just a typical college kid? Really? So if Mayfield is a similar guy then why is it that when I mentioned Dak Prescott's situation you had THIS to say...

5 hours ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

Not sure where you are going with the Dak stuff. Dak by all accounts was a very good kid and outside of the DUI, never had any issues.

Well, by all accounts Manziel was just a "typical college kid" obviously he wasnt given his resume. However, Mayfield, like Dak has no resume but an incident. How is it that Dak is just the "typical college kid" but Mayfield is the menace to society? Sounds like this is a personal thing with you and his richness? Im not sure, but it seems like it because this was a blatant contradiction. 

In fact sounds alot like how you are covering for Mayfield now. I remember vividly. "he should be allowed to sell his autograph", "He's just a typical college kid having fun" "What college kid didnt go to bars under age" The bigger issues for Manziel didnt happen until he was drafted. 

This isnt the same. Selling your autograph is breaking the rules, transferring isnt. Going to the bar underaged with a fake ID is breaking the law, transferring schools isnt. You simply dont want to see the difference. 

You say Manziel had  record or stupidity coming out. What do you call Mayfield getting arrested and all the other drama surrounding him...

I call it an "incident" of stupidity, he doesnt have a resume like Manziel. You simply dont want to see the difference. 

To me they sound like they have similar personality traits. And you are right. Young, spoiled rich kids who have no respect for authority typically don't all of a sudden find it when they are handed millions of dollars and the keys to an NFL city.

This sounds more like you're just upset that they were rich and you werent. Do you even know them to talk about what level of respect they have for authority? Better yet, you have yet to show me how it was authoritatively responsible for a university to swing their authority stick against a young kid who's paying to go to their university and decided to punish him because he'd rather go to a team that would prefer to start him. Way to go on the authority part. And if you want to bring in the cops, the last time I checked telling a person "If you curse again you're going to jail" is more of a threat than a law being broken. I guess when you're the authority figure that doesnt matter though. Yeah, I seen the video, and though Mayfield made the wrong move and tried to run after the fact, the cops didnt have to threaten him with jail when he wasnt breaking the law. 

I do believe Manziel is a bigger headcase no doubt, but to say there isnt some concerning similarities is being willfully ignorant. 

Not going to waste anymore time discussing Baker Mayfield. You have your opinion. I have mine. Lets agree to disagree. I agree with you 100% that the NCAA rules regarding walk-ons transferring was wrong. 

Manziel was indeed a bigger headcase because he'd shown to be one. Mayfield, like Dak had isolated incidents, that outside of those situations have been "typical college kids". The loose comparison to Manziel is unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Am I? That's funny, because everything that I stated as examples of Manziel happened while at Texas A&M. I never once touched any of the things that he did while a pro. I think you're confusing Manziel with Mayfield. 

No, i'm not. Lets make this easier to compare

Manziel

June 2012 - arrest where he was 'trying to break up a fight" 

Charges: Disorderly Conduct, Giving false information to police, Possession of Fake ID 

Mayfield 

February 2017 - Arrest where he was "trying to break up a fight" 

Charges: Disorderly conduct, Felony fleeing the scene, misdemeanor resist arrest

Winner: Mayfield for getting a felony charge. Manziel only misdemeanors. 

So what other signs painted a clear "resume of stupidity" for Manziel, that Mayfield hasnt at least tried to counter in some way. 

The autograph incident vs Mayfield throwing a tantrum and quitting on his team and walking out, leaving them short for their bowl game because he didn't like the coaches decision? 

You mention Manziel for criticizing his school as a red-flag. How about Baker Mayfield criticizing just about everyone who doesn't give him his way

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

nts Manziel was just a "typical college kid" obviously he wasnt given his resume. However, Mayfield, like Dak has no resume but an incident. How is it that Dak is just the "typical college kid" but Mayfield is the menace to society? Sounds like this is a personal thing with you and his richness? Im not sure, but it seems like it because this was a blatant contradiction. 

Apples and Oranges. Dak was a 5 year player and was never around any drama outside the DUI. I didnt say Mayfield is a menace to society. Mayfield has had multiple issues of questionable character throughout his college career. Dak was the person with one incident. 

This isnt the same. Selling your autograph is breaking the rules, transferring isnt. Going to the bar underaged with a fake ID is breaking the law, transferring schools isnt. You simply dont want to see the difference. 

Who is saying anything about Mayfield broke the rules by transferring. I would argue he broke some team rules by packing his stuff and walking out on the team. Going to the bar with a  fake ID is breaking the law. Going to a bar and getting into a fight and running from the police is breaking the law. 

Mayfield transferring isnt the issue with his character. 

This sounds more like you're just upset that they were rich and you werent. Do you even know them to talk about what level of respect they have for authority? Better yet, you have yet to show me how it was authoritatively responsible for a university to swing their authority stick against a young kid who's paying to go to their university and decided to punish him because he'd rather go to a team that would prefer to start him. Way to go on the authority part. And if you want to bring in the cops, the last time I checked telling a person "If you curse again you're going to jail" is more of a threat than a law being broken. I guess when you're the authority figure that doesnt matter though. Yeah, I seen the video, and though Mayfield made the wrong move and tried to run after the fact, the cops didnt have to threaten him with jail when he wasnt breaking the law. 

You have no idea how i was raised. Do not presume to know. To answer your second question. I am. 

When you have a player on your team who basically shuts it down when he is told he is not being handed his starting spot back. And then walks off the team and ends things in a very ugly manner, you can bet there will be pushback when you try get them to release you and let you go to an in conference rival after you just acted like a child. 

Now i agree with thew new rule. It shouldnt be allowed since he was paying his own-way, but at the time it was within their right and they did like every other program had done and elected to block him moving in conference same year. 

What are you talking about not breaking the law and officer was threatening him. Mayfield was involved in a fight which lead to the police being involed in the first place. 

I dont know what this guy did to get you so turned on but he is about as unsafe a prospect you can find to latch onto.

As mentioned earlier. If he was such a great prospect, why on earth would he opt to come out in the next draft with tons more QB competition. Answer, he is not highly regarded as an NFL prospect. 

If i am wrong, i am the kind of person who will be the first to admit it. 

On 3/2/2017 at 10:43 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Russell Wilson lost his job to Mike Glennon. And though I like Mike Glennon, Russell Wilson been to the SB twice and actually won a title. 

Doesnt matter that he lost his job to Mike Glennon in college. 

Baker Mayfield imo is NFL ready. 

Eh, different situation there. Can't compare the 2

4 hours ago, King P said:

Eh, different situation there. Can't compare the 2

Im not comparing the situations, im comparing the fact that these players transferred and no one said that Russell Wilson "quit on his team", meanwhile a guy who is actually paying for school decided to transfer because he wasnt guaranteed the spot after a ROTY performance and suddenly he's quit on his team. I find it weird that organizations can do what they want but players cant look out for their own best interest. Either this is a business or it isnt. Colleges get paid MILLIONS and other people say "Well these players get scholarships and a free education". Well, Mayfield wasnt on a scholarship and wasnt getting a free education....he was paying for it. No way in hell should he pay a school to sit on the bench. 

The comparison is to show how big name QB's for their teams decided to transfer and you didnt see football programs go after them because of it...unlike Texas Tech. 

5 hours ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

No, i'm not. Lets make this easier to compare

Manziel

June 2012 - arrest where he was 'trying to break up a fight" 

Charges: Disorderly Conduct, Giving false information to police, Possession of Fake ID 

Mayfield 

February 2017 - Arrest where he was "trying to break up a fight" 

Charges: Disorderly conduct, Felony fleeing the scene, misdemeanor resist arrest

Winner: Mayfield for getting a felony charge. Manziel only misdemeanors. 

Before February 2017, what was your reason to hang your hat on? Johnny Manziel has been a tool throughout school. If you decided not to talk about his underage drinking at 21 and over clubs, then you can talk about his altercation with police and hurling racial slurs and punching some black guy, if you dont want to use that you can talk about how he blasted his school all on Twitter and the school's radio station simply because he got a parking ticket given that he parked wrong, if you dont want to use that you can talk about his violent antics during practices against Texas A&M Staff, if you dont want to talk about that you can talk about how he was facing suspension at his school because of a bar fight that caused him to be arrested and his mug shot put on Sports Center with his coach getting the phone call about it early that morning along with his OC finding out about the situation by watching Manziel's face on SportsCenter. If you dont want to talk about that you can talk about his suspension for the first half of a game because of the autograpgh signings, if you dont want to talk about that you can talk about how he was invited to the Manning passing camp only to attend late as well as miss numerous events...so much so that he was actually dismissed from the camp. If you dont want to talk about that then you can ultimately talk about how all of this fell over into his professional career, which was very short lived that was more infamous with drinking on a swan rolling up dollar bills (to snort coke???) in a bathroom. 

With all of Manziel's numerous run'ins with authorities, his constant drinking at clubs (either underage or of age) his constant fights and aggressive nature, and specifically his antics that have had actual consequences for him getting on the football field or participating in football events, could you show me something outside of this February incident that showed Mayfield as a violent person to Oklahoma/Texas Tech staff, constant drinking and being late/hungover to practice, constant fighting and walking the "streets of Texas" with an entourage, having "numerous" run'ins with authorities, breaking NCAA rules such a selling autographs (or other rules) etc? 

You deemed Mayfield the winner because he was charged with a felony. This is the logic im dealing with right now. You havent produced anything about Mayfield outside of this 1 incident that happened 2 months ago meanwhile Mayfield has been in school for years. When Oklahoma was making their push at recruiting players such as Dorial Green-Beckham and Joe Mixon...the only guy that showed NO WRONG doing with that rucruiting push was Baker Mayfield. All of the other guys were transferring because of issues at their former universities. 

You take an incident that happened 2 months ago and compare it two an entire college career full of run'ins with cops, fights, drinking at clubs, suspensions and being late to events/practice. Baker Mayfield made a stupid ass move in that situation, but you are using that as if this has been his "M.O." the entire time. What has he done outside of this which would warrant your statement about having some sort of "enabling support system" that keeps him making such bad decisions? You're doing nothing but projecting Johnny Manziel on to Baker Mayfield because he's a spoiled little rich kid from Central Texas that looks similar to Manziel on the football field. However, off the football field these guys have been two different individuals. 

Apples and Oranges. Dak was a 5 year player and was never around any drama outside the DUI. I didnt say Mayfield is a menace to society. Mayfield has had multiple issues of questionable character throughout his college career. Dak was the person with one incident. 

Is it really? Ok, then explain all the "Drama" that Mayfield has been around outside of his situation that happened 2 months ago. Please, dont reiterate that he has a "questionable character" because obviously a guy who can get behind the wheel of a car while drunk has "questionable character" (Dak Prescott), but specifically, tell me about all this drama that Mayfield has been directly involved with so I can be stood corrected on the matter. 

Who is saying anything about Mayfield broke the rules by transferring. I would argue he broke some team rules by packing his stuff and walking out on the team. Going to the bar with a  fake ID is breaking the law. Going to a bar and getting into a fight and running from the police is breaking the law. 

Mayfield transferring isnt the issue with his character. 

The problem is, you're not saying much. You've associated him with Manziel, stated that he has character issues and has been associated with "drama" but you've elaborated on none of it. Your best defense is trying to make the argument that he broke "Some team rules" by packing up his stuff and leaving the team...something that he had every right to do given that it was a decision of his based on the circumstance and that the school didnt have him on scholarship. Again, where's the drama? Or is this just you blowing smoke? 

You have no idea how i was raised. Do not presume to know. To answer your second question. I am. 

I have no idea how you were raised, and I dont care to know. It's you that's making the presumption that both Manziel and Mayfield grew up spoiled rich kids that have the same family lawyer. However, the only person that I can say has given the impression that he's spoiled given that his family on numerous occasions have used their money/influence/stature to get their child out of a jam has been Manziel. You havent showed one shred of evidence showing how during Mayfields time in college he made some rotten moves and because he's spoiled by his rich family they were able to get him out of a jam. YOU are making the presumptions here, im simply trying to get you to be specific...which you seem not to be able to do. 

When you have a player on your team who basically shuts it down when he is told he is not being handed his starting spot back. And then walks off the team and ends things in a very ugly manner, you can bet there will be pushback when you try get them to release you and let you go to an in conference rival after you just acted like a child. 

You see?^^^^^^^ Thats your issue right there. It's not that this guy is like Johnny Manziel, its that you didnt like that he picked up his ball and walked over to Oklahoma. Also, he didnt end things in a ugly manner, he decided he didnt want to sit behind guys who couldnt get on the field before and the result was the university going after him. I've gave multiple examples of guys who've transferred AND wasnt paying for tuition (Cam Newton, Russell Wilson) and none of these guys received backlash from their former school. NC State coach Tom O'Brien released Russell Wilson from his scholarship at NC State in order for him to transfer. Cam Newton was alleged to be cheating at Florida and was facing expulsion before "conveniently" transferring to Auburn. Meanwhile a kid paying his own way (Doesnt seem like a spoiled thing to do) decides to make a decision that best suits him and this money he spends...then all of a sudden he's "always around drama" because the university didnt know how to take a loss from a kid that they had no contractual instrument (such as a scholarship) to keep him under their authoritative thumb? I guess when you're able to make such decisions then that makes you unwilling to submit to authority. lol. 

You're reaching towards borderline hate here. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Baker Mayfield breaking records. 

His 16 straight completions was an Oklahoma record for consecutive completions to start a game. He played a half of football going 19-20 for 329 yards and 3TD's. His 329 yards also puts him 3rd all-time in passing yards in Oklahoma history. 

Before the start of the season I heard that Mayfield was the byproduct of all of the talent he had around him (Perine, Westbrook, Mixon etc.), well 10 of Mayfield's 19 completions were to different targets. A total of 8 different Sooners scored in this football game...and the game aint even over yet. 

This is a two-time Heisman finalist and he starts off his final season in college completing 95% of his passes and throws 3 TD's....in 2 quarters of football. 

The fact that the usual names (Darnold, Rosen, Allen) doesnt include the two-time Heisman finalist, and a favorite two win it this year is pretty strange, especially when 1 of the guys have never played an entire season (Rosen) and Allen's hype is way overrated in comparison. 

On 9/2/2017 at 5:46 PM, Villain The Foe said:

His 16 straight completions was an Oklahoma record for consecutive completions to start a game. He played a half of football going 19-20 for 329 yards and 3TD's. His 329 yards also puts him 3rd all-time in passing yards in Oklahoma history. 

Before the start of the season I heard that Mayfield was the byproduct of all of the talent he had around him (Perine, Westbrook, Mixon etc.), well 10 of Mayfield's 19 completions were to different targets. A total of 8 different Sooners scored in this football game...and the game aint even over yet. 

This is a two-time Heisman finalist and he starts off his final season in college completing 95% of his passes and throws 3 TD's....in 2 quarters of football. 

The fact that the usual names (Darnold, Rosen, Allen) doesnt include the two-time Heisman finalist, and a favorite two win it this year is pretty strange, especially when 1 of the guys have never played an entire season (Rosen) and Allen's hype is way overrated in comparison. 

I agree that Allen is overrated, at least from what I see.

This kid looks REALLY good. He looks like a very smart player. Great, consistent feet work with follow-through. Can make great plays on the run yet throws the ball away when he should. Accurate, can make all the throws and seems to have very good timing with his throws and the WR routes. Has a very good release, with zip. Has a little Johnny Manziel/Russell Wilson to his game. 
He looks like a top tier QB to me. Maybe even better than Wentz to me when its all said and done (It's Janurary). He looks more "NFL ready" than Wentz. I dont seen Wentz in any way, shape or form starting day one, but this kid looks like he probably could. 
[/url] 

They don't have him as a pro prospect. I haven't seen him play but hear his name often.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Mayfield is a pretty good college QB, which isn't saying much in regards to how he'll play in the pros. OU's offense isn't something you'll see at the next level and he's got a lot of talent around him which makes up for some of the more "traditional" skills he lacks.

He's a scrappy dude with a winning attitude and he plays hard. I imagine that'll take him somewhere but I don't see him being the next Wilson or even Prescott unless he's fortunate enough to fall to a team that's already loaded like the previous two were.

As far as measurables go, he's undersized and doesn't have a fantastic arm. I imagine he'll be a mid to late round pick, if any, and he'll be playing fill-in duty for a couple game stretch when/if the starter goes down ala Colt McCoy. That's about it though.

Also finishing 4th in Heisman voting means next to zero as far as how that'll translate to the NFL. Manziel, Tebow,, and the like were Heisman winners as an example. The only recently who have been ~successful were Newton, Mariota, and Winston. Henry might turn out okay too but the committee is still out.

Case in point, winning the Heisman is no longer a measure of potential success in the NFL.

Let's keep going actually: Bush, Leinhart, White. RG3. Ingram (who has gotten better), Bradford, Smith.

Heisman voting, or even winning, hardly dictates NFL success. As an another example, Lamar Jackson is probably going to be absolutely garbage unless he moves to WR or something.

16 hours ago, A.J. said:

Mayfield is a pretty good college QB, which isn't saying much in regards to how he'll play in the pros. OU's offense isn't something you'll see at the next level and he's got a lot of talent around him which makes up for some of the more "traditional" skills he lacks.

He's a scrappy dude with a winning attitude and he plays hard. I imagine that'll take him somewhere but I don't see him being the next Wilson or even Prescott unless he's fortunate enough to fall to a team that's already loaded like the previous two were.

As far as measurables go, he's undersized and doesn't have a fantastic arm. I imagine he'll be a mid to late round pick, if any, and he'll be playing fill-in duty for a couple game stretch when/if the starter goes down ala Colt McCoy. That's about it though.

Well, people didnt even know Prescott or Wilson were going to be Prescott and Wilson, they were both mid to late round picks. As for his arm not being fantastic, I highly disagree. Usually people look for 80 yard passes, he can throw 40/50 yard passes and they're accurate and in stride, but that's not most of any QB's plays. The majority of his passes will be the usual short to midrange, with that said, there's not a more accurate passer in respects to ball placement. That has nothing to do with OU's offense...but his arm talent. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, people didnt even know Prescott or Wilson were going to be Prescott and Wilson, they were both mid to late round picks. As for his arm not being fantastic, I highly disagree. Usually people look for 80 yard passes, he can throw 40/50 yard passes and they're accurate and in stride, but that's not most of any QB's plays. The majority of his passes will be the usual short to midrange, with that said, there's not a more accurate passer in respects to ball placement. That has nothing to do with OU's offense...but his arm talent. 

The routes he's throwing on are 100% based on the scheme. Bubble screens and slants aren't a great indicator of accuracy imo.

Hes an interesting prospect for sure but I'm not nearly as high on him as you and I sort of doubt a lot of scouts will be either. All that said, they've been wrong before.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays this weekend against an Elite D-line and secondary with tons of NFL talent in a hostile environment. This is the sort of game he can really put a stamp on as far as his draft stock goes.

14 hours ago, A.J. said:

The routes he's throwing on are 100% based on the scheme. Bubble screens and slants aren't a great indicator of accuracy imo.

Hes an interesting prospect for sure but I'm not nearly as high on him as you and I sort of doubt a lot of scouts will be either. All that said, they've been wrong before.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays this weekend against an Elite D-line and secondary with tons of NFL talent in a hostile environment. This is the sort of game he can really put a stamp on as far as his draft stock goes.

Lol you right. 

I Read this article. All I can say is, this is exactly the type of mentality you have to have as a QB. I love it.  Here is the incident from the article. For the record, I like Mayfield, I don't know if I would draft him 1st or second overall (especially now, I need to see a lot more from him), but I love the attitude. (article link below)

“There were a group of Buckeye fans that were beyond over-served,” Fitzsimmons said, adding, “these guys are just wearing [Mayfield] out.”

“[Mayfield] turns around and goes ‘Get ready, I’m about to hang six on you bleeping bleepers.’ He goes, leads them right down the field. Score’s tied at 10 and he goes right to the bench, stands up on the bench, and just lets the Buckeyes fans behind him that were giving to Baker, he turns at them and says, ‘You like that one? I got three or four more that’s coming up. Get ready.'”

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/13/baker-mayfield-was-apparently-standing-on-the-bench-screaming-at-drunken-ohio-state-fans-during-saturdays-game/

Mayfield vs. Tulane. His worst completion rate of the season 17-27, 331 yards 63% comp rate (Worst comp so far this season) 4TD's. Sat out the 4th quarter. 

So far this season (3 games) 715 yards, 77% completion rate, 10 TD's 0 Int's and a 50% conversion rate on 3rd downs. Oklahoma is #2 in the nation behind #1. Alabama. 

15 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If this kid measures 6 feet or more I think he would be my #2 QB behind Josh Rosen . 

To me right now it's:

1. Rosen then 2. Darnold... if both are gone then Mayfield seems like the best choice for this offense, but I don't know if I'd draft him early first round. Trade back into first maybe, its tough but he is playing great football.

He's fun to watch.  He extends plays left and right, and doesn't give up.  I bet he's a good leader.  Not completely sold but I'll keep watching him. Good to know there will hopefully be at least a few options for us where ever we end up picking (hopefully #1-2 but there are a lot of 0-3 teams at the moment).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, Villain The Foe said:

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2017-10-17-scot-mccloughan-is-a-big-fan-of-baker-mayfield/

scott mccloughan agrees with you villian

On 10/18/2017 at 4:56 AM, Adoni Beast said:

I like what I hear about Mayfield.

I like what I see (production/stats wise) from Mayfield.  He is #1 or top 5 in nearly every QB production stat there is this year (and specifically in comp. %, which I like alot).

I would be comfortable with Mayfield at picks 10-15 in round #1, where I believe we end up picking.

What horrible, glaring, obvious weakness am I overlooking?

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I like what I see (production/stats wise) from Mayfield.  He is #1 or top 5 in nearly every QB production stat there is this year (and specifically in comp. %, which I like alot).

I would be comfortable with Mayfield at picks 10-15 in round #1, where I believe we end up picking.

tenor.gif

“By the way he's the quarterback for OU.”

“He is ... Is he really?"

"That's what his girlfriend said."

"He's not very fast.”

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

tenor.gif

“By the way he's the quarterback for OU.”

“He is ... Is he really?"

"That's what his girlfriend said."

"He's not very fast.”

And Dan Marino fell to where he did because of fears of drugs.

So is Mayfield more Marino, or more Manziel?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Plays in a conference that doesn't play defense, which begs the question can/will he be able to read defenses?

Lack of height will create trouble making passes.

Lack of size is a durability concern.

I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him. But those are the knocks.

The Ohio State game I think definitely was huge for him ripping apart a defense with NFL talent and a former NFL HC as their dc.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Plays in a conference that doesn't play defense, which begs the question can/will he be able to read defenses?

Lack of height will create trouble making passes.

Lack of size is a durability concern.

I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him. But those are the knocks.

The Ohio State game I think definitely was huge for him ripping apart a defense with NFL talent and a former NFL HC as their dc.

So some questions:

How much worse are teh Defenses Mayfield plays against the past three years compared to those Darnold/Allen/Rosen played against?

Does Mayfield get alot of balls batted down at the line?

Does Myfield have a history on injuries?

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

So some questions:

How much worse are teh Defenses Mayfield plays against the past three years compared to those Darnold/Allen/Rosen played against?

Does Mayfield get alot of balls batted down at the line?

Does Myfield have a history on injuries?

I think the kids a gamer, but conference historically is bad at defense. In comparison it is worse than pac-12 (Darnold/Rosen). 

However, how he carved up that Ohio State defense was a big test that he aced.

The passes batted down and durability haven't been an issue in the college. The fear is in the NFL, the physical nature of each defensive opponent, and how that translates to his size. Look, its not a problem for Brees and Wilson. If you can ball, you make it work.

I love the kids passion. Seems to fit the kind of player Mac and Bowles are bringing in now, fiery, ultra-competitive guys who are alphas.

We'll see. I just feel that Mac being a true scout deep down loves the prototypical size etc of 6'3 + type of quarterback. 

Archived