Our early strategy is a community college for 2 years while he lives with us then a SUNY school for the last 2..  no one cares where you went your first 2 years they just look at the degree..

but if he winds up being super smart I might be doing him a disservice with talk of a comm coll.

eh, most people i know that didn't go ivy league don't even work in their major. I went to community college and then a 4 year college but dropped out because i was working as a programmer in web tech and the college was teaching me 20 yo technology. I focused on what was relevant now and was rewarded for it. Now that tech has made it's way into marketing and merchandising and most areas of business, colleges will be behind in that as well

See this was my thinking for awhile and I started looking into buying apartment buildings, but now it seems Obama did some pretty drastic things with student debt which might encourage more home ownership for these groups (limiting payments to 10% of discretionary income (which will be fudged, of course), and basically cancelling all debt after 20 years)

I saw that too. However, short of outright forgiving the debt or cutting the principal, what he's really doing is creating a perpetual debt system. My single biggest problem with federally subsidized student loans is that they created the educational bubble in the first place. Nowhere else in my life have I been TOLD what I needed to earn to repay a debt after it began to amortize except in the student loan market. That's not a practice that tells place anywhere in private lending. For this alone they should shoulder some of the burden. If he really wanted to make a change he should have allowed federally subsidized student debt to be discharged in bankruptcy. To this day it is still the only loan that is not dischargable in federal bankruptcy court. 

There cust svc doesn't hold a candle to ours either..  with us you'll have a designated rep that handles the acct out of our office in Fairfax..  Alex will always talk to the same person so there's a rapport and not having to re-explain the issue every time you call in...  we both have 24-7 support available now but ours is US based.. they're in the Philippines.

We're the 2 largest in the country..  Alex is looking at a good time - our busiest month of the year by far...  that's probably why we came in much lower than them.  we can do some nice discounting in Jan and when trying to take an ADP client so you got both going for you.

She is doing her do process.  Going back and forth seeing what will shake loose.  I use to do all that ten years ago. Just cant anymore.  I literally get sick to my stomach when people try to get my business.  My staff knows I would rather have them take a shit on my desk that let a salesman sneak through and talk to me.  I got a guy at Cardinal Bank that actually showed up at my gym when one of the girls told him I was already gone heading there.  Nice guy to be honest.  bought me a smoothie.  I like smoothies.

eh, most people i know that didn't go ivy league don't even work in their major. I went to community college and then a 4 year college but dropped out because i was working as a programmer in web tech and the college was teaching me 20 yo technology. I focused on what was relevant now and was rewarded for it. Now that tech has made it's way into marketing and merchandising and most areas of business, colleges will be behind in that as well

I got a daughter with a business degree working in my office as a personal rehab consultant.  She loves it.  I hear so many people telling me their kids degrees are doing nothing to help them get a job.  NOTHING.  Baby Crusher is doing physically therapy.  did I mention we are adding a physical therapy suite to my practice this spring?  Haha. 

She is doing her do process.  Going back and forth seeing what will shake loose.  I use to do all that ten years ago. Just cant anymore.  I literally get sick to my stomach when people try to get my business.  My staff knows I would rather have them take a sh*t on my desk that let a salesman sneak through and talk to me.  I got a guy at Cardinal Bank that actually showed up at my gym when one of the girls told him I was already gone heading there.  Nice guy to be honest.  bought me a smoothie.  I like smoothies.

yeah some of them are relentless...  I just use my charm and likeability (which I have both in spades).  and I don't have to wear the zoot suits cause I'm in inside sales.

yeah some of them are relentless...  I just use my charm and likeability (which I have both in spades).  and I don't have to wear the zoot suits cause I'm on the phone not in the field.

It was two guys.  Both dressed very well.  She introduced me but I was seeing patients.  Rocking my typical workday clothes.  Athletic fit jeans, Under Armour company long sleeve shirt and either Jordans or dock siders. Yes, its good to be the king.  LOL

It was two guys.  Both dressed very well.  She introduced me but I was seeing patients.  Rocking my typical workday clothes.  Athletic fit jeans, Under Armour company long sleeve shirt and either Jordans or dock siders. Yes, its good to be the king.  LOL

I need to come work for you. When I first started I would show up at a satellite office with a beard, backwards hat and shorts. I guess I tried to grow up and bought some suits. 

Probably Jimmy and Steve..  Steve is the 401k guy.

I need to come work for you. When I first started I would show up at a satellite office with a beard, backwards hat and shorts. I guess I tried to grow up and bought some suits. 

I only employee woman.  I have a second Dr. but he is old Califonrina dude. Nothing but Tommy bahama's and fancy slacks.  Got some nice shoes. 

1. half the cost   2-20. see 1.  not to mention ADP are really bad at it and they flat out lie. Not sure if it is because we are a pretty small business and they really dont give a **** or just the way they do thing. 

what company is this?

College Personal Finance course my Senior year FTW, with an awesome professor.

Every HS/college student should be required to take a course like that.  That's stuff so many people take for granted.  I was clueless beforehand.  Financial stewardship is crucial to a functioning society.

I wish they'd offered small business and finance planning courses in college for me, unfortunately, having gone to a design school the electives were lame, definitely nothing for the type of student interested in learning the business and life planning side of a creative career.

As such,  given the rollercoaster of my life/career, I'm way behind... I've got the house though. Just had it appraised after less than 3 years, for a refi, and it's gone up $65k+ in value.

How much does the stock market impact real-estate?  I've been looking to buy and feel like a boob because I missed the window when everything was dirt cheap a few years back.  It's starting to come around again and prices have heightened in my area and now I'm gun shy because they seem outrageously high in comparison and this whole recession talk makes me nervous.

I don't know jack about this... but in my limited experience, it's all about region. Where I bought, the market and financial climate didn't matter. We had to win a bidding war, paid over asking, and it's done nothing but appreciate.

• Upvote 1

I wish they'd offered small business and finance planning courses in college for me, unfortunately, having gone to a design school the electives were lame, definitely nothing for the type of student interested in learning the business and life planning side of a creative career.

I know UNCW usually elicits a "what?  huh?  Is that a satellite campus of UNCW?" response, but I do feel very lucky where I went to school.  It was a large enough school to provide a lot of options, but small enough where not a single one of my courses were taught by a TA.  A fantastic undergrad experience. 

And with a 65:35 girl:guy ratio, it's the dream school for every guy who actually has/had game, unlike me.  lol.

As such,  given the rollercoaster of my life/career, I'm way behind... I've got the house though. Just had it appraised after less than 3 years, for a refi, and it's gone up $65k+ in value.

Not really.  Most adults, in my experience, are just walking around pretending they know what they're doing anyways.  Having a good head on your shoulders allows you to "make up ground" very quickly in areas where you are not experienced.

I know UNCW usually elicits a "what?  huh?  Is that a satellite campus of UNCW?" response, but I do feel very lucky where I went to school.  It was a large enough school to provide a lot of options, but small enough where not a single one of my courses were taught by a TA.  A fantastic undergrad experience. 

And with a 65:35 girl:guy ratio, it's the dream school for every guy who actually has/had game, unlike me.  lol.

Not really.  Most adults, in my experience, are just walking around pretending they know what they're doing anyways.  Having a good head on your shoulders allows you to "make up ground" very quickly in areas where you are not experienced.

Fair point.

I'm going to be 40 years old. I've got a great piece of property within 10 miles of Boston, and I'm aggressively working to make up for lost time now. As soon as my daughter stops going to daycare, which costs a fortune, then I can just dump all that spending into retirement too. We've always lived way below our means, so we wouldn't miss the money, because we're already used to it being gone... 

• Upvote 1

yes which one.. we are on ADP, this thread just caused me to give a bunch of sh*t to the CFO lol

Yes I'm in ADP as well.  Looking to switch to Paychex.  We are a tiny company.  Seems ADP is suited for larger companies that don't mind getting nickle and fuckng dimed to death.  I do.  

Fair point.

I'm going to be 40 years old. I've got a great piece of property within 10 miles of Boston, and I'm aggressively working to make up for lost time now. As soon as my daughter stops going to daycare, which costs a fortune, then I can just dump all that spending into retirement too. We've always lived way below our means, so we wouldn't miss the money, because we're already used to it being gone... 

That is how I caught up in the retirement game.  Pretty much diaper and daycare money for five kids I never had at my disposal anyway.  Haha