Jace Amaro or Devin Smith?

Sarge4Tide

More likely to contribute in 2016: Devin Smith or Jace Amaro?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make a bigger contribution to the 2016 New York Jets?

• WR DEVIN SMITH
    • TE JACE AMARO
    • Neither will contribute much
    • Both will make significant contributions

I think they both come into next season with a major chip on their shoulders and hopefully both do well for us.

I agree.  Both players in my view weren't a big reach.  Just a little  bad Jets luck, they didn't  progress as thought. 

Both were solid college players.  Unlike Vlad or Stephen Hill type picks. 

Im hopeful they develop. 

Edited by southparkcpa
  • Upvote 1

Smith will barely be ready by opening day. No way he contributes next year.

Yeah it's hard to imagine Smith doing anything significant once again.  He'll be missing most of the preseason activities so how is he suppose to get in gear?  He won't even have the pro development and conditioning boost a healthy 2nd year man usually gains.    

Edited by LIJetsFan
  • Upvote 1

A lot of people thought Calvin Pryor was a bust after one season too..Just saying 

exactly. Both will produce next season. I've seen enough from both of them to know that they are nfl players. Whether they evolve into very good players is another question. 

Smith seemed to be the most gifted and natural player, but he won't be anything more than our 3rd beSt wr heading into camp.  Jace has a good chance at being our number 1 tight end. Even with development of enunwa. 

Amaro was solid as a Rookie.  I know people expect all pro seasons in year one - but he did a nice job. 

You could tell he was thinking way too much and that caused some drops, but I believe he led rookie TE's in receiving.  He'll have a good year.

He was in the dog house for most of the offseason. Not sure what went on there. But I do hope he can have a break out year after his 3rd off season. 

Jace.

Not an indictment on Devin, but even though they both have--roughly--one year of actual game experience, Jace has an extra year under his belt, which means an extra year of training camp, and extra time to learn and acclimate into the NFL. Plus--as others have mentioned--the TE spot is a mess and Amaro has a good chance to be "the guy" at that position. Smith can only be our 3rd guy, at best.

Amaro had a decent 1st year all things considered. He had Geno throwing to him so there's that.  Fitz would definitely use him better and he would open up the field for Marshall and Decker.  Its just another option for Fitz who practically had no TE to throw to last year.  Smith cant do much worse than last year.  If he can get healthy before training camp, he has to be able to improve.....he cant be much worse.   At least the mid range routes would be there for him as he and Fitz connected on some of those. What bothers me with Smith is he never seemed to get any separation from DB's on go routes. That was supposedly his forte.  Despite the fact Fitz constantly underthrew him on these fly patterns, Smith just never seemed to be able to create any space anyways.  

Didn't see Devin Smith do a damn thing except have a sure TD pass go right through his hands, and then get yelled at by Bowles for it. Enunwa and Thompkins already took his spot. I'd take Amaro any day.

yeah, one play, a handful of games define a career. 

Yeah it's hard to imagine Smith doing anything significant once again.  He'll be missing most of the preseason activities so how is he suppose to get in gear?  He won't even have the pro development and conditioning boost a healthy 2nd year man usually gains.    

i agree.  i think if amaro stays healthy he's a nice fit in this offense.  that said i believe the jets will be active in FA and the draft in pursuing TEs.

I'll take Amaro just from a scheme perspective. Marshall on the outside with Amaro in the slot on one side with Tompkins/Enunwa on the outside and Decker in the slot gives us a decent 4WR set with matchup problems. This is a player that excelled in a spread system at TT. He's a big target that won't draw top secondary players like Marshall/Decker. If he can play loose like he did in college I can see him putting up some decent numbers.

• Upvote 1

I voted neither.  Dont see it in Devin Smith.  Hated the pick and didnt like what I saw on the field.  Hope he proves me wrong but he just doesnt look like he belongs in the NFL and now he's going to miss another training camp.  He seems very injury prone and soft when he's on the field. 

Amaro is interesting.  Clearly the Coaching Staff hates him.  He was what, 4th string when he was healthy?  And he never even got hurt.  They just didnt know what to do with him so they IR'd him.  It is strange though because the way that Gailey used Enunwa you would think that Amaro fits?  Big, tall, joker TE with decent speed that he can use in the half back role.  But then there's the whole, Gailey doesnt utilize the TE thingy too.

I wouldnt expect anything from either. 

Edited by JiF
  • Upvote 1

I voted for Amaro because we need a receiving tight end but I was surprised by the coaching staff's (including Bowles) positive statements about Devin. They constantly talked about his improvement and how he was on the edge of being a contributor. But the reality was that on the field he was usually ineffective even though he got chances. In Amaro's rookie season he did show an ability to get open and make plays. Of course Quincy kind of took that role last season and imo was pretty good. 

I voted neither.  Dont see it in Devin Smith.  Hated the pick and didnt like what I saw on the field.  Hope he proves me wrong but he just doesnt look like he belongs in the NFL and now he's going to miss another training camp.  He seems very injury prone and soft when he's on the field. 

Amaro is interesting.  Clearly the Coaching Staff hates him.  He was what, 4th string when he was healthy?  And he never even got hurt.  They just didnt know what to do with him so they IR'd him.  It is strange though because the way that Gailey used Enunwa you would think that Amaro fits?  Big, tall, joker TE with decent speed that he can use in the half back role.  But then there's the whole, Gailey doesnt utilize the TE thingy too.

Kinda this.  Smith seems to not have the chops to play in the physical NFL.  Speedsters are nice but back shoulder throws require them to come back and fight for the ball.  I have seen nothing to think he could play.  The TD catch was nice but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Amaro?  Comical.  Who would of guessed?  Jets pick another bust at tight end.  "We want Sapp!!"  "We want Sapp" 

I agree that they hate Amaro, but I don't think they stashed him without him getting hurt. I think they were exasperated with his injury.  I don't think they made it up.  I'm sure they could have gotten a conditional for him if he were healthy.

I think Smith will at least be good on the cover teams.  His catch percentage was pretty horrific, but that may have been, at least partially, a function of the offense just taking a shot deep here and there and Fitzpatrick not fitting Smith's skillset.   He basically took over for Owusu who had taken over for Smith when Smith was hurt in camp.  Owusu's catch rate was marginally better, but they were fairly similar. 

Kinda this.  Smith seems to not have the chops to play in the physical NFL.  Speedsters are nice but back shoulder throws require them to come back and fight for the ball.  I have seen nothing to think he could play.  The TD catch was nice but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Amaro?  Comical.  Who would of guessed?  Jets pick another bust at tight end.  "We want Sapp!!"  "We want Sapp" 

Jarvis Landry be like, what? 

I agree that they hate Amaro, but I don't think they stashed him without him getting hurt. I think they were exasperated with his injury.  I don't think they made it up.  I'm sure they could have gotten a conditional for him if he were healthy.

I think Smith will at least be good on the cover teams.  His catch percentage was pretty horrific, but that may have been, at least partially, a function of the offense just taking a shot deep here and there and Fitzpatrick not fitting Smith's skillset.   He basically took over for Owusu who had taken over for Smith when Smith was hurt in camp.  Owusu's catch rate was marginally better, but they were fairly similar. 

It was a bizarre injury though.  He was drowning in the depth charts, there were no reports of nothing and then boom, he's IR'd.  Maybe they did just exasperate it but he was clearly falling out of grace.

Smith just looks soft.  No fight in him.  Missing TC probably set him back and now he's back in recovery mode and going to miss another TC?  Maybe he comes around but it wont be next season. 

Punt

Kinda leaning this way, too. Both are incredibly soft, both finesse players who look like they're going to break in half every time they're pressed at the line. I don't think you can shake that kind of pussiness. I had hopes for Amaro, but sitting out last year with the labrum is putrid gayness.