Jace Amaro or Devin Smith?

Sarge4Tide

More likely to contribute in 2016: Devin Smith or Jace Amaro?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make a bigger contribution to the 2016 New York Jets?

• WR DEVIN SMITH
    • TE JACE AMARO
    • Neither will contribute much
    • Both will make significant contributions

exactly. Both will produce next season. I've seen enough from both of them to know that they are nfl players. Whether they evolve into very good players is another question. 

Smith seemed to be the most gifted and natural player, but he won't be anything more than our 3rd beSt wr heading into camp.  Jace has a good chance at being our number 1 tight end. Even with development of enunwa. 

If healthy, Smith fits the current WR scheme better than Amaro. Decker and Marshall both block better than Amaro and catch better. Smith adds a vertical dimension.

Maybe in practice he got open and could go deep. Which is why they drafted him. He was a great long receiver at Ohio State. But in NFL games he didn't seem to be able to separate consistently. Maybe he was just slow in picking up the offense. He has a chance to be a big part of our offense in 2016. But if he is ineffective again I can't see them sticking with him for more than 3 seasons. Hopefully he is going to be a better NFL Wr than Hill was. 

Amaro was solid as a Rookie.  I know people expect all pro seasons in year one - but he did a nice job. 

You could tell he was thinking way too much and that caused some drops, but I believe he led rookie TE's in receiving.  He'll have a good year.

We are WAY to quick to give up on players.  If you go back and look at some of his plays from his rookie season, you can see he has the makings of a real nice receiving TE.   It amazes me that people can't get it through their heads that rookies need TIME to develop.  The NFL is a major step up from College, and some players take longer adjust than others.  

Maybe in practice he got open and could go deep. Which is why they drafted him. He was a great long receiver at Ohio State. But in NFL games he didn't seem to be able to separate consistently. Maybe he was just slow in picking up the offense. He has a chance to be a big part of our offense in 2016. But if he is ineffective again I can't see them sticking with him for more than 3 seasons. Hopefully he is going to be a better NFL Wr than Hill was. 

I disagree, on a number of plays the defensive back played way off the line of scrimmage, giving himself a nice cushion.  The fact that Smith was basically just running Go routes early in the season made it easy for defenses to defend against him.  On a few occasions when he did get separation, he had to slow down and wait for the ball and or it was thrown on the inside instead of outside shoulder.  Where Smith needs to get better, is in fighting for the ball and or breaking up potential ints.   He did show improvement in his route running and his route tree became a bit more sophisticated as the season wore on.  Unfortunately he got hurt just as it seemed he was finding his comfort level.  All part of the learning process of a rookie who was rather raw to begin with and who had is is growth stunted by early injuries in camp and then late in the season. 

• Upvote 1

I like them both this year.  Chan Gailey has a proven track record of getting good productivity out of players much less talented.  I don't expect either to be "stars" next year, but the poll stated "significant contributions".  They'll both qualify in that sense.

The key for both of these players can be summed up in two words - Staying Healthy.  The rest should take care of itself. 

• Upvote 1

Amaro should be the choice to have more of an impact in 2016:

- His injury & rehab have probably already been completed

- He'll be starting his third year as an NFL player

- He'll be starting his second year learning his responsibilities
in Gailey's offense

- He'll be filling a gaping hole in the offense which we didn't
have last year.  How much better would Fitzpatrick have been if
he had a "safety valve" to go to when teams took away Marshall
& Decker

It's going to be tough for Smith because he'll probably be
rehabbing his injury for most of the Spring.  And we all know he
has a ton of route work to do as a WR

Kinda leaning this way, too. Both are incredibly soft, both finesse players who look like they're going to break in half every time they're pressed at the line. I don't think you can shake that kind of pussiness. I had hopes for Amaro, but sitting out last year with the labrum is putrid gayness. 

Who knows what happened with Amaro- if the injury was real deal or what. He had been falling behind before they IR'ed him...hopefully its a wakeup call.

As far as Smith goes, he couldn't have looked anymore useless than he did this year. Maybe he can become our Matthew Slater, but as a receiver I didn't see anything that looked promising. 

I would really like to know the behind the scenes of what went down with Amaro this past spring/summer. The guy seems like he'd be a good fit lining up in the slot. Isn't that what he did all of his college career? Getting him on the line and teaching him to block was the story of the 2014 camp.

As far as Devin Smith.. I really, really, really want to like the guy, but so far he's given us nothing. And missing another chunk of time isn't going to help. Depending on how his recovery goes, he might be put on the IR next year if he misses all of camp

Amaro should be the choice to have more of an impact in 2016:

- His injury & rehab have probably already been completed

- He'll be starting his third year as an NFL player

- He'll be starting his second year learning his responsibilities
in Gailey's offense

- He'll be filling a gaping hole in the offense which we didn't
have last year.  How much better would Fitzpatrick have been if
he had a "safety valve" to go to when teams took away Marshall
& Decker

It's going to be tough for Smith because he'll probably be
rehabbing his injury for most of the Spring.  And we all know he
has a ton of route work to do as a WR

Just wondering how he has learned his responsibilities in Gailey's offense when according to Cimini, and a few other scribes he hasn't been in the building since he was IR'ed.  His "injury" didn't even require surgery.  Zack Sudfeld has been here every day, and he actually had a serious  injury.

If there is going to be a break out TE this off season, I think Sudfeld has a better chance.  Cool if his brother Matt made the team as an UDFA to

Just wondering how he has learned his responsibilities in Gailey's offense when according to Cimini, and a few other scribes he hasn't been in the building since he was IR'ed.  His "injury" didn't even require surgery.  Zack Sudfeld has been here every day, and he actually had a serious  injury.

If there is going to be a break out TE this off season, I think Sudfeld has a better chance.  Cool if his brother Matt made the team as an UDFA to

Yeah I recall Cimini saying that as well. This could be a he doesnt really enjoy football type of issue. Just got a year off to hang out in Texas.

• Upvote 1

I think both can make contribuition for the Jets. Why? Differents positions. Our corp of Wide outs isn`t a great one, but can make something on the field. Jace Amaro is the biggest TE we have right now. Smith its young yet, Amaro same, so both can make some differencies on the roster.

Thats what i though!

Yeah I recall Cimini saying that as well. This could be a he doesnt really enjoy football type of issue. Just got a year off to hang out in Texas.

In all honesty that's exactly what I think the situation is.  He was clearly in Bowles dog house in the pre- season, and the way he was IR'ed was very odd.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is traded.   Hope I'm wrong and the guy has a break out year, but I just don't see it 

• Upvote 1

Jace had a torn labrum which required surgery, that is why he was put on IR

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/jets_jace_amaro_tweets_out_post-shoulder_surgery_p.html

Yeah, well, tell me what he did when he was playing that earned him the #3 slot

Tell me what any rookie's done to earn him the 3rd spot.  Its the 3rd spot, you do realize this, right?  How do you propose players get playing time and develop? 

Amaro.  Huge hole to fill at TE.  Not so at WR.

Plus if Fitz is the QB, his and Devin's skillsets don't exactly mix.

he will grow as reciver .. He was before he got hurt . He will be fine once he is and can remain healthy.. He miss a lot important time starting in training camp., 

Edited by Scoop24

Amaro was demoted to fourth string because the staff wanted to use him at H Back, where he was listed as first string: http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/8/18/9168407/jace-amaro-what-is-an-h

Just because Cimini didn't see Amaro doesn't mean he wasn't there. Maccagnan mentioned that Amaro would be a "wild card" for next year. 

It wasn't that they didn't see him.  It was that he wasn't on the first field.  Cimini wasn't the only one reporting it. Enunwa was there and he sure as sh*t wasn't a first team in-line TE.  Some of that was probably his back injury, but they didn't seem that happy with his back and shoulder injuries.  Seemed like they thought he was dogging it.  I thought maybe they were punishing him for getting into it with Rex, but they never really seemed happy with him at all.

he will grow as reciver .. He was before he got hurt . He will be fine once he is and can remain healthy.. He miss a lot important time starting in training camp., 

I think amaro has potential.  It would be nice if shut up and just played.

Smith troubled me last year before he tore his acl. Still can't believe we passed on both DGB and Funches for him that pick is going to look horrible